Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have Travel, Will Eat
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
Comptine

Have you traveled to another place and didn't really know what to eat? Ever wondered what places were the best to eat at? The cheapest? Well, since CB has so many people from many different places, I thought people could post up their location and their favorite places to eat.

Guidelines:
  • Please state your Location
  • Don't just name to place. That isn't very informative. Give a little title that describes why it's so great.
  • Write a short summary of your experience there or describe the food or the atmosphere
  • Recommend something from the menu you like
  • Provide a price guideline. Even if the food is to die for, how many Cbers can afford a $100 burger?
  • If you can, provide a website for people to check out.
  • If you discover a new yummy place, don't hesitate to edit your post. Just PM and I'll note the changes. I plan to place all the recommendations in the first post.

Best Winter Comfort Food All Year Round: Say Cheese!
649 9th Ave, Between 45th and 46th Streets
I love this place. It's a little off the way from Times Square but it's prices are a lot cheaper than the food there - although it is not Mickey D's cheap. It is so good. There's one waiter and he is the nicest, happiest server I ever had. What could be better than a warm sandwich with gooey cheese? They also have a yummy tomato cheddar soup but not everyone would like it. My friend and boyfriend described it as "pizza soup" even though they liked it. You can get the soup and a sandwich for less than $10. It's an okay sized restaurant. It's very colorful and artsy.

Little Nook of Frozen Delight: Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
65 Bayard St., Between Elizabeth and Mott Streets
I cannot count how many times I walked past this little shop in Chinatown before discovering it. Even now, when I know where it is, I can still miss it. It has a huge menu of flavors. They range from good ole' vanilla to bizarre wasabi. It's cute that they classify "asian" flavors as regular and regular flavors as exotic. It's not exactly cheap cheap but it's well worth it. I think it's like $3 for a scoop but it's a big, heaping scoop. There's no place to sit so you can take your cone on the road and lick at pure frozen goodness. I had cherry pistachio and almond cookie. The cherry pistachio was so good. I finished the cone in like three minutes. The almond cookie was sweet but not as good. My friend had pumpkin pie which tasted like a cold, creamy ginger cookie with a nice fruity sweetness to it. And the green ice cream is highly recommended.

Great Place to Have a Fun Meal With Friends: Salon de Tapas
190 Sullivan St, Bleecker St
My boyfriend took me here and I've only been there once but it was a good experience. I recommend tapas because you can sample many different dishes at low prices. It would be a great dinner option for a large group of people. The portions are pretty big. My boy and I were surprised how big they were. We had the escargot (which served like twenty, huge shells. it's was really delicious without that sandy, bitterness a lot of snails have - $6), the quail (my boyfriend went crazy for this lemony dish. the only thing he complained about was bones- $8), the lamb chops (so tender and moist. lick your fingers good- $9), and the calamari (this i do not recommend. it was floury and had little taste. the sauce it came with tasted bottled- $6). The bill was $44 for four entree sized dishes. It's very small and cozy with dim candle lighting. It's very Spain village feeling. It also has a gorgeous garden in the back but I didn't have an opportunity to see it since it was winter.

Names of the restaurants are clickable.
mznikki
Omg great idea thumbsup.gif btw. i love the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory XD.gif espcially the mellon or mango.

Natalie's of Ridgewood
17 S Broad St, Ridgewood, NJ
One of my best friends brought me to this place for dinner about 4 years ago, and I been going there ever since. It is a small cafe/ restaurant, casual, very friendly atmosphere, and great for lunch or dinner espcially when its great weather so you can sit outside to eat. It serves a variety of foods, including American, burgers, Italian, and sandwiches. The menu includes a great selection of hot and cold wraps filled with fresh ingredients like veggies, chicken, turkey, and/or tuna; pizzas; homemade soups and chilled salads; Italian specialties and pastas; and more. Also, there are is a great seleciton of home made desserts that are to die for. The service is great, very personal, the head chef/ owner comes out to chat which is nice. The price range is about $10-20, depending on what you order. They are well known for thier butternut squash soup, and I highly reccomend it, it is one of my favorites there. Also I reccomend any of thier hot wraps especially thier honey wrap which is a hot crispy wrap filled with thinly sliced steak, pepers, and onions with thier home made potato salad on the side.

Wasabi Restaurant
848 East Ridgewood Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ
Family friend invited us to this restaurant 5 years ago, and it is another one of my favorites. It is a Japanese restaurant, with a sushi bar of course, and it is great for lunch or dinner. The parking is great, espcially because in Ridgewood its a nightmare to find parking. They have a great menu for lunch specials, and I have to reccomend their chicken teriyaki. Their prices are also resonalbe, it is about $9-15 per person, just about depending if you go for lunch or dinner, it is more expensive for dinner though.

Minado
1 Valley Road, Little Ferry
Click the Restaurant to see the webiste. It does have several locations. A great Japanese Seafood Buffet restaurant. My family brought me about 3 years ago for my cousin's birthday dinner. It is crowded during dinner time, but dependin on the day you go it isn't so bad, even when its packed, it's fine, because its so big. They're good for lunch and dinner. Lunch costs you about $15 and dinner costs about $25. Dinner is great because they have better hot food like short ribs and crepe, and more hand rolls to eat! Lunch is also fine, they also have hot food but still a pretty good offering of sushi. It's in a nice, big and clean space with good service. Also their desserts are really good, light and small cakes, but excellent. They have really good soup, which they make for you fresh, along with crepes during dinner time. There are many birthdays celebrated here, and its great for a lot of guests, but you definately need to come on an empty stomach, and be prepared to feel really full afterwards.
Comptine

BUMP.

come on guys. nyc and jersey cannot be the only places with good food. even if you're from a small town, recommend places. you never know who might end up there.

btw, does anyone have recommendations for boston?

oh, yeah, mznikki. when you listed minado, i was sooo jealous. i hear rave reviews about it but every location in the tristate area is like two hours away. but i'm going to bu for college next year and they have a minado that's easy to get to in less than an hour. =)))
suddenly she
Psst... in the title, it should be eating "well," not good.
Comptine
QUOTE(suddenly she @ May 1 2007, 7:44 PM) *
Psst... in the title, it should be eating "well," not good.

psst... i know. lol. it's from kfc's "eating good in the neighborhood (or in our case, city)".
HelplessCry
Las Vegas

The Bellagio Hotel

-i went there two years ago the buffet there ranges from 25-30$ per person. but its so worth the money!
they have creme brulee and so many different varieties of seafood!
i reccomend going for supper its much much better selection.
lunch was alright...i think its cheaper.
sorry its a bit vague.
suddenly she
KFC? hammer.gif

ohwell.
HakunaMatata
Bay Area, CA!

Matsuri
480 Redwood St. Vallejo, CA
OMG BEST SUSHI EVAR. As in, melt-in-your-mouth good. It's one of the really well known ones around Vallejo (I know about it, and I live almost an hour away), so it can get really busy. A group of eight had to wait about fifteen minutes. But while they use a taaad too much soy sauce, the sushi is heavenly. Lion King and Caterpillar were scrumptious. It's like ten dollars a plate, though, so it is on the pricy side (well, for me it is), but great for a every-once-in-a-while dinner or even lunch.

La Victoria's
140 E San Carlos St. San Jose, CA
The ultimate college food restaurant. Ultra cheap burritos, quesadillas, and the bestest orange sauce EVER. (Can you tell it's a Mexican restaurant?) It's an old Victorian house that's been converted to a restaurant, and while it may not be the best quality food, it's authentic Mexican food at it's absolute cheapest.

Pizza Chicago
155 W. San Fernando St. San Jose, CA
Ohhhkay, so it's not authentic Chicago (according to my teacher, the name is total scam) but the pizza is mm-mm good. The service is really sweet and the price is in the lower-middle range. Really good for big groups, not so much for dates, since the pizzas are Chicago style, after all, and definitely deep-dish.
synthase
QUOTE(Endless_Symphony @ May 1 2007, 6:00 PM) *

BUMP.

come on guys. nyc and jersey cannot be the only places with good food. even if you're from a small town, recommend places. you never know who might end up there.

oh, yeah, mznikki. when you listed minado, i was sooo jealous. i hear rave reviews about it but every location in the tristate area is like two hours away. but i'm going to bu for college next year and they have a minado that's easy to get to in less than an hour. =)))

I live in boston whistling.gif

Shabu-Zen
16 Tyler St. Boston, MA (Chinatown)
GO HOTPOT! From BU, it shouldn't be too far away. The atmosphere is really good, and it is absolutely DELICIOUS! (if you like hotpot) The raw food is placed in front of you..and the hot pots are placed in the center of the table (built in) Once you put in the food..in about 3 minutes..its ready! (depends what kind of food) I recommend the Mango Smoothies and the delicious Green Tea Mochi
*a little pricey though pinch.gif

Kushboo
1709 Massachusetts Ave, Lexington MA
Its about a half hour away from Boston..but It is totally worth it! They serve delicious Indian cuisine..Veggie-eaters friendly! The curry is really good and of course..the nan _smile.gif

Helen's
17 Main St., Concord MA
About a half hour away from Boston too..A family style restaurant.
It is not too pricey and I LOVE THEIR BLT! Really good for just a typical eat-out
A lot of unique shops around the area too (located in Concord center)
sprezzatura
Also I want to add on for Las Vegas:

Rio Carnival World Buffet (Don't go the Seafood Buffet, it's a rip-off):
Price is about $23.99 for dinner, but I suggest you come in like half an hour before lunch time ends and you pay for lunch price, and stay for dinner too! So you can pay cheaper and eat the same food.
They have the best prime rib and crab EVER.
Prime rib is all juicy, not too cooked nor raw, and it's not all hard to chew!
The crabs are sweet. They are like one of the few places that has crabs that taste naturally sweet from the meat.
Other foods aren't that great, but I just go there for prime rib and crab for my entire dinner at Vegas.
Comptine

BUMP.

Another Reason Why I Can't Be a Vegetarian: Shake Shack
Madison Square Park and 23rd Street
Very unique burger place. It's in the middle of a park so a winter visit might not be too enjoyable. Besides, this place is famous for its frozen custards (called 'concretes' when mixed with goodies) and burgers. It's a kinda pricey place if you want burgers, fries, and drink. Burgers go from 5-9 dollars but it's well worth it by themselves. They have their own special cheese sauce that just soaks the burger in yummyness. I recommend the Double Stack, which is a cheeseburger+'shroom burger (huge portobello mushroom patty). It's a great place to just swing by and hang out after going out in the city. And you don't spend forever at the counter for you food, because the food is fresh so it takes a bit long, because they give you those little remote pagers restaurants sometimes give you. It's really cute. GO!
jaeman

Bamiyan Chinese Restaurant
This is a superb restaurant, noting the fact that it's a Chinese restaurant in Japan, despite their government differences. They have an outstanding fried rice dish with egg for only ¥490 and they have really good shomai for only ¥300. Not to mention their huge bowl of ramen for ¥580.
angelrevelation
Seattle, Washington:

Classy but Comfortable Sushi: Umi Sake House
2230 First Ave - Seattle, WA 98121 (in Belltown)
http://www.umisakehouse.com/
I haven't been to many sushi places, but this was my first experience, and so far still the best. We didn't even have to make reservations and our group of 6 was in in about 5 minutes on a busy night. The restaurant is very hip but not snobby. Dim lighting, but you can still SEE everything. There are several places to sit- in the smallish main area, the sake bar, the tatame(?) mat rooms for large groups, or the roomier greenery-like room, where we sat. It has a message of trying to introduce people to sake like wine, but of course I wasn't able to try any, being a minor. It looked like they had tons of variety though.

Our servers were very attentive but not "too helpful", and knowledgeable. The menus were really interesting, on wooden boards. The mix of people, although casual, was great- no one was laughing annoyingly, no screaming little kids.

We sampled a bunch of everything (can't remember all the names). Pros on the food: Most of the rolls didn't fall apart, and tasted great. Favorite was (i think) the legend of the rolls. Parts of the sashimi were very creamy with a smooth texture, like the tuna. Cons on the food: The mushrooms in the noodles was much too marinated and tough for my taste. I think miso soup with clams should have had one or two more clams. Some items in the sashimi platter we had, like the shrimp, did not look too fresh.

I think the total cost was about $200 for the six of us, but we did over order in my opinion...

More reviews here: http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/41928927/
mizzcrazy
QUOTE(Endless_Symphony @ May 1 2007, 05:00 PM) *

BUMP.

Minado in Natick, Ma is soooo expensive and the sushi isn't even that fresh. stubborn.gif

Boston, Massachusetts

Fun Food Snackery
http://funfoodsnackery.com/menu.htm
141 Brighton Ave, Allston, Ma (Right up the street from BU)
This place is really colorful and fun! They have icecream, shaved ice, and smoothies. The price won't exceed 5 dollars for one order and the fruits are fresh. The idea of the shop is really creative and if you come from 4-6pm, you get to spin this big colorful wheel and if you're lucky, you get free slushes and smoothies.

Super 88 Market Food court
1095 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02215-1022 (Also near BU)
I think this is where most of the Bu students go to. It's just a huge food court that has different shops with Korean, Vietnamese, Dimsum, Chinese, and Indian food. They have a lollicup too. The food there is good, especially the kimbap and dimsum and it is not expensive at all. the kimbap was like 8 dollars and you get two huge rolls. It is pretty crowded most of the time so I recommend you to go around 6ish or even early.

Penang Boston
http://www.penangusa.com/location_boston.html
685 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111 (Downtown&Chinatown)
This restaurant has good Malaysian food. It can be really crowded sometimes and the waiting sucks but it is worth it. I recommend the pineapple fried rice which is fried rice served in half of a pineapple (they took the insides out) and it has seafood in it. The Indian pancake with curry is good too as an appetizer, that's the main reason why I go. The food can be expensive depending on what you buy, the pineapple fried rice is aout 10 or 15 dollars and the indian pancake is 5 dollars.

I eat out alot but right now I ran out of ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.