Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: running
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
pink.x.r0se
i've heard that running and jump roping help you lose weight, but that in turn makes your legs look fatter when you build up muscle

is that true?

because people are always like, "oh, run to lose weight and stuff", but whats the point if its just going to make your legs look fatter?
sorry if this is a stupid question =)
HakunaMatata
Well, toned legs look a lot better than flabby ones, right?
Sephora.
Actually.... Running makes your legs look more toned and muscular. I'd rather have muscles than fat.
voguelove
yes, yes it does. i only know this because im a runner.
breakingdawn
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you first loose the weight and get toned before the bulky muscle builds?
HakunaMatata
^Correctomundo.

And people can tell the difference between a 'fatty' leg and a muscular one, and the second is so, so much better.
multifaceted
QUOTE(swiftly_x_now @ Jan 22 2007, 9:44 PM) *
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you first loose the weight and get toned before the bulky muscle builds?

no.

when you are burning the fat, you are creating more muscle. so its 2 in 1 kinda thing

if that were to work then the fat would be working out and then after the fat disappears then the muscle starts to work... (doesn't make sense but its to prove my point)

and muscle is heavier (statistically) than fat so you might not lose weigh if you run... (like me) but instead have water weight (like me) that exercise cannot resolve.

actually I have toned legs and they are the fattest part of my body!!!! my legs and hips are to friggin big (for an asian anyway)
michellerrific
QUOTE(Sephora. @ Jan 22 2007, 3:37 PM) *
Actually.... Running makes your legs look more toned and muscular. I'd rather have muscles than fat.
I thought so too. I notice people in my PE class who are extremely active runners have actually skinnier legs in a way (by skinnier I mean that the muscles show a lot more rather than the legs of a person who doesn't run as frequently).
StubbornFemme
Well, I run 6 days a week and my legs haven't gotten big. They gotten toned up real good and I think they look much leaner and less flabby looking. I think if you're running up hills a lot then probably but I don't think it makes your legs look big. Even if they do, it's pure muscle and thats way better than fat!
My Cinderella.
Its not necessarily "fat" legs, its more like toned. They may appear thicker, but that's only because they're firm. Firm > Flab, IMO.
demolished
QUOTE(xMyStIcShAd0wSx @ Jan 22 2007, 8:02 PM) *
no.

when you are burning the fat, you are creating more muscle. so its 2 in 1 kinda thing

if that were to work then the fat would be working out and then after the fat disappears then the muscle starts to work... (doesn't make sense but its to prove my point)

and muscle is heavier (statistically) than fat so you might not lose weigh if you run... (like me) but instead have water weight (like me) that exercise cannot resolve.

actually I have toned legs and they are the fattest part of my body!!!! my legs and hips are to friggin big (for an asian anyway)

Hm. You burn the calories and muscle first. Once, you're out of calories, you're targetting the fat and you still burn the muscle no matter what.
Stefanny
Well, I don't think it'll make your legs fatter...
I mean, I run and my legs don't look fat. They're rather "toned," like Maggie said.
But if you've been running for say...11 years(referring to Suzette), then your legs won't look fat, but muscle-y. Most people can tell the difference between fat legs and toned legs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.