Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Birth Control.
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
Jayembe
Well im a bit young for birth control. All i want to know is how can you get on it with out having to tell your doctor your sexually active. Also what are your experiences with it. Im just curious because i hear about it all the time and i want to get things straight.
think!IMAGINARILY
I'm not sure, but some people get it to regulate their period. I think that's what my sister did. mellow.gif
And if you're concerned about your doctor telling your parents, remember that your doctor can't say anything. I think it was doctor-patient confidentiality or something like that..

And I'm not able to tell you anything about using it because I've never been on the pill before. This site will help though! _smile.gif
Cujiine
Well my doctor suggested it as a possible cure for my acne... you know balance out the hormonesthat are causeing it. But yeah my mom shot that down right away.
Gypsy Eyes
You can tell your doctor anything, they can't tell you parents by law.

I used to be on bc, but I went off it because it made me gain weight. That's a major downside..
Jayembe
See i could ask my doctor to prescribe it but my mom would probably what for and ask all these questions. And then it would cause a huge panic. haha
a painefull euphoria
I used to be on bc, but I went off it because it made me gain weight. That's a major downside.

wow. it made me get animea [sp?]
and major weight loss
so i had to stop but i think ive found one that will beok for me
brokenxwingsx
Birth control is good, but in a way it's a pain. If you don't take the dosage that's 100% right for you, you'll have funny effects like acne, depression, mood swings, etc.

The thing that sucks is that it's basically trial and error until you find the right one. I've heard of people going through 5 or 6 different brands.

Search some stuff online, there's a lot.

I'm on Ortho Tricyclen-Lo and at first it was okay and then it made me really depressed and basically a psycho biotch. So I'm going to switch to something else next time I go in for my gyno visit.

Just say it's to regulate your period. Simple as that.

Also, don't be shy to tell your doctor that you're sexually active, if you happen to be. By law, he can't tell your parents anything, even if you're a minor. He needs to know to take proper care of you (PAP tests, etc.) and keep you informed.
WHIMSICAL 0NE
^ Good advice.

But, like already said, different kinds work for different people. If your doctor hasn't been your doctor for long enough to really know you I think it might make it harder for them to find the best kind for you. By law your doctor cannot tell anyone anything but if you don't want to live with the burdon of not telling your parents until you're in the clear (idk how old you are) you could just tell your parents that you're having irregular periods and would like to discuss it with your doctor. If your mom or someone wants to go back with you, your doctor will have them step out sometime during it to talk to you (that's what my doctor did.)
xcaitlinx
if you're sexually active, you should still use protection [condoms] even if you're using birth control. you can never be 100% safe...
me1issaaaa
^ True dat.
You can't get it unless you're 18, or else you have to have a parent sign the forms for you. Are your parents alright with that?
Jayembe
Im not sure i havent talked to my mom about it.
But i want to soon.
brandewijn
When I was 18 I got on the pill...Ortho Tricyclen. I took it at the same time every night at 7 pm. Never failed to take it. About 4 months after starting on the pills, I got pregnant right after my hubby and I got married.

They can be a pain and nothing except abstinence is 100%. Everyone's body is different. What didn't work for me may work for you, so on and so forth. Just be as careful as you possibly can. Your parents will find out at some point, and going to pick up the presecriptions your mom would probably find out so in my opinion, you might as well stop sneaking around. If you are old enough to be having intercourse then you are old enough to be honest with your parents about it.

I've come to not believe in those forms of birth control. I use Natural Family Planning. It's worked for almost three years. :) You could also do NFP while on the pill as well. It definetally couldn't hurt.
flc
Birth control can do a lot of things. It can regulate your period, & also reduce cramps. It could help your mood around PMS time, & your acne as well, which is why I went on it. I stopped using it though because it was making me gain major weight. I gained about 17 pounds in one year. _dry.gif

& Who cares if your doctor knows you're sexually active? Everything should be confidential between you guys, so your parents wouldn't find out if that's what you're afraid of.
cassjamminx
just say it's for your period and what not like everyone else said. if your doctor knows youre sexually active, dont trip, they're not going to make anything of it, and if they know they'll only want to protect you and give you everything you'll need. it's confidential anywho. and if you dont want your doctor knowing you can always go elsewhere for it, like a clinic.
voguelove
..you can get it at planned parenthood for free.
hollywoodvixen
I'm not sure because I go to my doctor and he doesn't say anything to my parents. Although I use it for the pains of my period as well as regulating.

And although i've been with my bf for years now, we're still cautious.

I know that there are walk-in clinics here that will give you trial bc pills to see if you like them.

Have you tried walk-in clinics?
multifaceted
im not on bc... but i would first use it for not getting so many periods... the brand that has the website... lowerperiods.com... cause i hate periods...

complain to your mom about your period all the time and ask her if you can get a "medication" to stop having so many periods... and she's prolly dig it
noiseandkisses16
u dont have to tell yer doctor if u are sexually active to go on the pill. u can get it for acne, cramps, lighter period, etc. well thats what i heard. but it ca mess up yer cycle and it can have some serious side effects
Jane Doe.
QUOTE(APPLEjuicex @ Dec 30 2006, 11:35 PM) *
..you can get it at planned parenthood for free.

I was going to say that, but I don't know about it being free. I've a friend who received hers through Planned Parenthood and her mother did not know about it. Though it may depend on your state and different laws and such. Here's a link with a LOT of info:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-con...ol/the-pill.htm

I think you could really just walk in and ask about it. And here:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-con...pelvic-exam.htm
If you read the bottom of the last link, you'll see that it may cost quite a bit to get an exam--but the exam may be avoided, and the above goes more into detail about it.

I've been on the pill for, what, 5-6 months, I think? I was put on it by my gyno due to irregular periods and it's been working pretty good, actually. It regulated my extremely irregular menses--you bleed every month even if it's not an actual period-period, though--and the cramps have been SO much better. It made my skin flare up the first 3 months but now my skin is clearer, so that's good. It made my boobs bigger, also >.> Hahah. I got most of the normal side effects. And I think it made me gain weight, which was a big bummer, but it can have the opposite or no effect on your weight--it all depends on the pill and the user. I'm on Yaz, by the way.. I hate how it's all over magazine ads :x.
xhidethedetails
I'm going to the gyno on Monday to get on it.
I'm just telling her that I have really bad cramps, and a heavy flow.
Cloud9Nine
wow. it made me get animea [sp?]
and major weight loss

wow I've heard that from anyone before. i guess bc has different effects on different bodies.
Dizzi
im on it because my period has never been regular and i get severe cramps...

if you go on it...get NuvaRing

its awesome
Jeng
I ALWAYS thought it was just for people who are sexually active, and need to keep from getting pregnant.
I always hear about girls talknig about it, well they are sexually active, and little...yah I'm going to stop, but uhmm... I'm pretty sure it helps prevent frequent normal periods.
Jayembe
Well im going to the doctor soon lately ive been getting these pains and im not sure i talked to my mom about it and she said i might have something wrong because my sister did but my mom is against birth control when i told her.

She said it causes cancer and so on.
But i think if it might be for my health then she will agree to let me take it.
MrStrife
Random thought: I always wondered what happened to guys who use birth control? Like do they develop those steroid side affects? lol
mai_z
If you're considering getting it...make sure you remember it doesn't protect from STD's! Use it with a condom!
Jayembe
QUOTE(Chessboxxa 101 @ Feb 10 2007, 10:57 PM) *
Random thought: I always wondered what happened to guys who use birth control? Like do they develop those steroid side affects? lol

Lol.
I wouldnt want to know what happens. laugh.gif

And yes i know they dont prevent STD's.
But im planning on asking my doctor during the next check up about it and then new shot preventing cervical cancer.
I might also just tell the doctor the truth.
KissMe2408
=MOVED TO HEALTH=
mai_z
hmm shot preventing cervical cancer? haven't heard of it...what is it?
breakingdawn
QUOTE(mai_z @ Feb 12 2007, 5:31 PM) *
hmm shot preventing cervical cancer? haven't heard of it...what is it?

guardasil, or something like that.

They play the commercials all the time. At least where I live...

"One less"
AngelicEyz00
I went on the patch, Ortho Evra, in October of 05. I was on it for like 5 months? It is a bit of a hassle. Also, it made having sex uncomfortable because... well, let's just say semen isn't supposed to sting. I'm on the pills now, Ortho tri-cyclen. It's a hassle remembering to take the pills. Basically the same side effects for me as the patch, however I do like the pills more. I may try out the nuva ring, but I don't think I'll like it.

Gardasil, everyone needs that. I should be getting that next time I go to the clinic. And I am way past due for a pap smear.
mishyerr
My friend uses something called 'Seasonel' or something. It makes it so she has one period per season (4 per year). She got it originally b/c she had horrific cramps during her period. But I guess she's sexually active now, too, so ...
You really don't have to tell your doc you're sexually active.
And remember, birth control is not 100% safe. If you can't get birth control, use a condom!

Also, I'm not sure which way it is, but birth control either helps prevent breast cancer or is linked to it. It's one of the two :/ I forgot which. ^_^"
Afrodisiac-aka-Antho
QUOTE(Jayembe @ Dec 21 2006, 10:08 PM) *
Well im a bit young for birth control. All i want to know is how can you get on it with out having to tell your doctor your sexually active. Also what are your experiences with it. Im just curious because i hear about it all the time and i want to get things straight.

blink.gif What... you plan on gettin off to this? horny ass
mishyerr
QUOTE(PU$$Y_PUMP#R_3000 @ Feb 12 2007, 9:37 PM) *
blink.gif What... you plan on gettin off to this? horny ass

I'm pretty sure she means experiences with birth control, not sexual experiences. rolleyes.gif Someone else is obviously thinking dirty, haha.
Jayembe
Exactly. Someones head is in the gutter. lol.
roamer
well im on bc to regulate my period.. i had to program a daily alarm on my cell to remind me to take it ... but then i went out of the country and with the time difference i messed up my cycle badly ...

** you should be honest with the doctor and explain everything to him/her they are there to help .. trust me i was a bit worried my self i had never been on the pill and when they had to put me on cause i had my period for 2 straight months he asked many questions this is my moms gyno who knows me since i was a baby telling him i was sexually active was not that easiest and though i am an adult and im sure my parents assume i am not a virgin i did not intend to have them told the truth
troublemaker36
you say "no." when they ask. mellow.gif
I'm on it..
they said it would help me gain weight..it didnt.
they said it would help with cramps..it didnt.
they said it would help with acne..it didnt.
but it did regulate my period..which was why i got on it.
and im not pregnant so i guess it was a good thing.
RAWRstephishere
i would like to try it, because i hate periods.

but my mom would be like "now that doesnt mean you can have sex now"
Monochrome.
QUOTE(AngelicEyz00 @ Feb 12 2007, 10:53 PM) *
I went on the patch, Ortho Evra, in October of 05. I was on it for like 5 months? It is a bit of a hassle. Also, it made having sex uncomfortable because... well, let's just say semen isn't supposed to sting. I'm on the pills now, Ortho tri-cyclen. It's a hassle remembering to take the pills. Basically the same side effects for me as the patch, however I do like the pills more. I may try out the nuva ring, but I don't think I'll like it.

Gardasil, everyone needs that. I should be getting that next time I go to the clinic. And I am way past due for a pap smear.

NO NUVA RING. NOOO
Worst thing ever. It uncomfortable and one time it fell out of me when me and my boyfriend were...yeah.
Lacey;Elizabeth
You have to tell them your sexually active but they can not tell your parents without your permission because they can get fired for breaking your confidentiality. Ive been on OrthoEvra which is the patch and the pill. I always forgot to take the pill but i was on the patch for 2 years and I never had any problems with it. Alot of people say they get sick from it though and I guess they arent supposed to be giving it out anymore. My sister was on the depo shot and everyone says you gain alot of weight but she didnt gain any. She weighs 104 lbs still. One bad thing though sometimes you dont get your period and sometimes you can get it for weeks at a time
elaboratedream
if you're worried about your parents finding out, the easiest way to get it is to go to planned parenthood. If you're under 18, the initial exam is free and you just have to pay somewhere between 15 and 20 dollars a month for the pills.
lostgrl16
i was on the patch for a while. only problem for me was that when i would mess up and miss a week, my next period would be HELL cause id cramp so bad but thats basicly it for me. planed parenthood does charge, in my state(IL) at least. i dunt think i spent over $200 the first time though, for the patches(3months) and exam. i havnt gone for over a year so im not sure. i should go soon and ill post what i find out.
AngelicEyz00
QUOTE(Monochrome. @ Feb 25 2007, 1:26 AM) *
NO NUVA RING. NOOO
Worst thing ever. It uncomfortable and one time it fell out of me when me and my boyfriend were...yeah.

Haha, yeah. I think I'll just stick to the pill... but one with the least amount of hormones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.