Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
stfu_loser
i hav a few qs concerning braces.
-does it hurt during the process?
-how long does it take?
-is it very uncomfortable?

omg. im gonna faint. sad.gif
KissMe2408
(1) No, it doesn't hurt actually getting the braces on or anything, but they do tigthen them, and for a few days afterwards your jaw and teeth ache it seems like. I mean it's not sharp, jabbing pain or anything. But it's just a constant ache. Though you can eat cold food (yay, ice-cream), and take some pain killers. The pain is only around for a few days after they tighten it though....it's really not as bad as you think.

(2) It matters how bad your teeth are, and what they have to do. I got mine on I think in 8th grade...got them off sometime in 10th....so it took about 2 years from when they actually put the braces on, to when they took them off. But I had spacers for a good 6 months before then...so....i dunno. talk to your ortho about it.

(3) Not really....at first it is...but you do get used to it. It's not as bad as you think, trust me!
Good luck! happy.gif thumbsup.gif

=MOVED TO HEALTH=
think!IMAGINARILY
There's another topic that could help you.
http://www.createblog.com/forums/index.php...=94755&st=0

And to answer your questions:
It doesn't hurt when they put it on your teeth 'cause they're just gluing on metal brackets. It does hurt a little when they put on the things for your molars. It's gonna hurt for the first month or so because the braces irritate your gums or whatever. And it hurts for about 3-5 days after you get them tightened once a month.

To put them on? I'd say about 45 minutes. They do a molding thing first and then the top row first and it takes 10 minutes to dry, then the bottom row + 10 minutes to dry. And then my orthodontist took some pictures and x-rays, I think. Or that was the first day or whatever.
You're probably gonna have to have braces for 2 years, if your lucky and don't miss any appointments or break anything. Some people that I've known have had them for up to 4 years, but they don't need retainers.

The process of putting the braces on was ok. They have to stretch your mouth out so that the brackets will stick properly. It's gonna feel awkward and uncomfortable for the first month or so, but you'll probably get used pretty fast.. Just don't eat any hard foods. Eat things like yogurt, pudding, soup, things like that.. And it does hurt a little after you get your braces tightened, but that's only for about 3-5 days. When you use rubber bands, no matter how much it hurts, you should keep them on for as long as your orthodontist tells you too or else you'll have them for an extra month or so.

It's gonna be ok. Nothing bad will happen. _smile.gif
_sarcastic_
- no it doesn't hurt constantly maybe the first 2 days after getting it tightened every month, it'll feel sore and well sensitive when you bite.

- if you're asking how long it takes to put them on.. it depends maybe fomr 45 mins to an hour or so. they've gotta prepare your teeth so that they can actually glue the brackets onto your teeth. i'm gonna have my braces til the beginning of senior year so that's about two years for me. it actually depends for certain people, i have a friend that has had her braces for 5 years now.

- the first time you put it on you'll feel a uncomfy since there's something foreign in your mouth, it was feel weird for the first few weeks then after that you'll get used to it.
angelrevelation
it wasn't too bad for me when they put them on... i guess cuz my teeth were kinda straight already. the brackets leave some sores in your mouth for about two weeks cuz your mouth is just getting used to them, but they go away.

i haven't gotten mine tightened yet...
salcha4u
Hm, let's be real here people.

QUOTE(stfu_loser @ Oct 30 2006, 6:39 AM) *

Yes.

-how long does it take?

A long ass time.

Yes.

It's okay, you'll get used to suffering console.gif
iDecay
I'll tell you this, the pain is worth it in the end when you have straight teeth. Depending on how bad your teeth are, it could take anywhere from 6 months - 3 or more years. It's uncomfortable at first, but you'll eventually get used to it.
lovescream
SHIT i'm getting braces soon too. sad.gif
Laughsalot
there's nothing really wrong with having braces. it's just a normal thing. except in vietnam where people point and stare at the metal on you're teeth thinking you have some permanent damage on them.
-sincerely
QUOTE(rawr SOCK @ Oct 30 2006, 4:57 PM) *
And it hurts for about 3-5 days after you get them tightened once a month.
not for me. i had them for about 4-5 years, somewhere inbetween, and when i went to get them tightened, they just felt normal after such a long time. you get used to it.
Some people that I've known have had them for up to 4 years, but they don't need retainers.
me for 4-5 years, still have the retainers. but they're like invisalign.
When you use rubber bands, no matter how much it hurts, you should keep them on for as long as your orthodontist tells you too or else you'll have them for an extra month or so.
rofl. i never wore them. but i did eventually get them off. guess he was tired of me, the orthodontist. XD.gif
pandamonium
i loved braces lol. i thought they were cool to have them. i actually turned out really good, everybody complements my teeth now. all i need to do is whiten them.
yrrnotelekktric
-how long does it take?

1. not when you`re getting them on/off. they tighten them and it hurts sometimes. ibuprofen works.
2.depends on how bad your teeth are.
3. at first, it just feels weird, then you get used to it.

good luck. thumbsup.gif
stfu_loser
thanks for all the advice guys. now im ready to face the pain.lol. but i think ill be teased and all when i have em. gahh!
think!IMAGINARILY
You probably won't be teased. A lot of kids have braces.
moorepocket
i would get venner if i were you. It's quick and painless.
synthase
the younger you are, the less pain there will be
Infinite.
-shrugs- I got my braces Halloween,

Uhm during the process of getting them on it doesn't hurt at all. I suggest about an hour before your app. take some tylenol. Make sure to take some more about every 4 or so hours. When you go to eat for the first time you may feel a little pain.

Takes about an hour to get them on usually perhaps up to 2 hours.

Its not uncomfortable at all, perhaps later that night and the next day perhaps. As long as yous tay up on tylenol and such, also use the wax in the back, you can get scars from the wires..

Also you may want to get some mouth pain liquid

Any other questions, you can feel free to PM me. Since I just got braces, I know what happens happy.gif
sprezzatura
Yes, but only the beginning though. It might last for weeks in the beginning and several days after tightening. But after several months of tightening, you won't feel the pain anymore.

-how long does it take?
Usually it's 1-2 years, but it varies.

Yes, at the beginning it will be because of the pain and getting food stuck in your braces. But later you will get used to it.
shortiiex
braces can sometimes scrap your mouth, sometimes it can hurt like a Mofoing bitch. ESPECIALLY when they have that long rubber thing where it drags your teeth together.
I had braces for i think 3 years..then i had a to wear a retainer for a year. i still wear my retainer, but it's only for night time now.
x1227x
-how long does it take?

1. they sorta hurt but it depends what kind of dentist person you have. if its a bad one, they'll hurt your teeth bad i guess.
2. doesn't really take a long time. maybe 30-1 hr? :p
3. once you get used to it, it wont be as uncomfortable as it was before =p
tokyo-rose
They might take a while to get used to, but it's not deathly painful or anything. It's not the end of the world; you'll be fine.
ldyxluvable
1. first week & tighting
2. depends maybe ;; common is 2 yr and a half
3. at first but you get use to it after months
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.