Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Washington D.C. Essay
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Writing
Simba
Some of you guys (mostly the chat people) knew that I had to write an essay for a contest aimed at students going to the D.C. trip at my school. Winner got to put a wreath on the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier over at the Arlington Cemetery.

Well, I ended up winning.
But I gotta thank some people like Yen and Jerome and Radhika for helping me during the writing on the essay.
Thanks a lot you guys. thumbsup.gif

And maybe you guys wanted to see the finished product:
Arjuna Capulong
Increasing Patriotism
“Pa-tri-ot. Noun. One who supports, defends, and loves his or her country and its interests with devotion.” A definition such as that one would be common in dictionaries. I could probably ask a group of Americans and most of them probably wouldn’t know the true concept of patriotism. Because of this, educating and increasing awareness about genuine patriotism would be the first step I would take to increase patriotism within the country.
Making people aware of patriotism is mandatory in order for people to become patriotic. People cannot be true patriots if they do not understand what a patriot really is. Focusing on teaching children about patriotism would significantly help increase patriotism. A children’s mind is very young and still molding and learning. They are very open about what they take into their minds; this would make it easy to teach them about patriotism. On the other hand, an adult tend to be more stubborn. They hold strong to their beliefs, whatever they may because an adult close-minded and obstinate. Children raised as patriots will most likely grow up to become patriots. Then, those patriotic adults would raise patriotic children. This however, shows just how influential a parent can be to their children, which makes it just as important to inform adults about patriotism.
Numerous parents have so much influence on their children; if an adult has an agenda, the child will be inclined to carry it out. Some adults cannot distinguish the difference between a true patriot and a fanatic. There are places in the world where, if you question the government, you would be executed or criticized. Usually people think that that sort of thing does not happen in America, however, there have been people who criticize some of the government’s decisions and they are considered “unpatriotic” by the people they criticize. Is there really any reason why these people are all of a sudden “unpatriotic?” Picture this: A truly patriotic soldier fights in a war in which they offered their life for their country. They survive the hardships and terrors of war and return to their home country. However, a few years later there is yet another war to be fought, but the veteran is completely and utterly against the war and is all of a sudden called “unpatriotic.” The veteran has every right to believe that the war is unnecessary in any way. The veteran’s critic knows nothing about war, does not take the veteran’s opinion into much consideration, and still insists that the new war goes on. Why would the veteran suddenly be considered “unpatriotic?” It is manifest that there is a misunderstanding of what a genuine patriot is in this scenario. Similar situations, unfortunately, as ridiculous as the situation seems, has occurred within America.
Americans have to be reminded of what real patriotism is. Only then can patriotism begin to increase. How would I do this exactly? Literature, speeches, videos, annual school programs; whatever it takes, really. Just because it is so important that Americans understand what authentic patriotism is. Regardless of a person’s understanding of patriotism, however, a person cannot and will not be a patriot of a country they cannot love. Patriotism calls for a country that people can be proud of. As a president, in order to increase patriotism, educating people about real patriotism is only the first step. Improving the country itself would follow.
Patriots love their country because it is something to be proud of. There cannot be patriots if there is nothing to love about the country. Not everybody is completely happy with the current state of America, and so, in order to increase patriotism, there will evidently have to be a change in that. I am not exactly sure how America can manage to fight in a war with a whole other country when we have not yet won the war within our own country. As the president whose objective is to increase patriotism, improvements in administration, health care, the welfare system, etcetera, would all help. I do believe that you must start one step at a time and should deal with your own country and then begin expanding to other countries. Then once our own country has improved, patriotism is bound to being to spread.
It is unfortunate to see that, after an event of anguish and distress such as the 9/11 bombing where Americans woke up and really started to show their patriotism, some people would still try to take advantage of the ill-fated situation such as exploiting increased gasoline prices. Increasing patriotism within the country would unite America without the need of a terrorist attack reminding us to.
It can be a disappointing scene when you find Americans who do not understand even a gist of the basic foundations of patriotism. When even beginning to work with people to increase patriotism, the people must have a clear understanding of what patriotism is all about. Also, they should not be forced to become patriotic, but rather, they should indulge patriotism because they would want to, and are proud and are truly loyal and in love with the country.
Uniting the country is key in increasing patriotism throughout the country. The people of America are going to continue to be divided if they do not understand eventually that not only are we all European, African, Asian, etcetera, but more importantly, that we are all Americans. We all have common needs such as food, water, oxygen, and shelter, regardless of race or culture. Cooperating with each other would only make satisfying such common needs a less strenuous task. Realizing that and increasing American patriotism would only be the first step of something greater, however. Eventually, the world should be able to unite and rather than having only American patriotism and that we are all Americans, but that we are all human beings, and would begin to have human patriotism. Nevertheless, having plainly American patriotism is an obligatory step in making the world a better place.

Oh yeah, I'll probably end up posting some pictures I had someone take during the wreath laying ceremony over at Member's Photos. It was me and three other winners, but another person and myself actually got to put the wreath on.
marzipan
Nicely put, Arjuna. _smile.gif

Yes, patriotism can help in bringing our country together and uniting.

Congratulations! That must have been a great experience.
Serendipity
I like the opening sentences/paragraph. [:
Wow, that must've been super cool to lay the wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Congratulations!
Simba
Thanks a lot guys. happy.gif

I finally posted a few pictures from the ceremony at Member's Photos.
iROCKYOURSOCKS
wow your essay is really good CONGRATS! smart.gif
smoke
Yeah, that essay's not bad! Congrats Arjuna!
Tribal J_Rome
My baaaaaaaaaaad. You told me you posted this but I hella forgot about it until just now lol. Congratulations on winning man. I saw the pics though, where's your sign that says "AYYYYYYYYE THIS ONE'S FOR MY HOMIE JAYROME!"? haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.