Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bebot
Forums > Community Center > Music
HakunaMatata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0DcffERYs...ted&search=

So I was watching the Filipino news, and apparently a whole bunch of people (read: offended Filipinos) are complaining that the new BEP video for "Bebot" exploits stereotypes of Filipinos, specifically:

Virgins
Whores
Shrilly Mothers.

Okay, Filipino mothers ARE shrilly, well at least, my mother is.

And I get the stereotype of the virgin thing, and the whore thing, I guess that's when we become 18 and get out of parent's house. _dry.gif

Sure, the video isn't exactly helping the idea that Filipino girls don't show their midriff every single frigging day once they can go clubbing, but the Shrilly Mother thing is true. Totally, totally true.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, and you have to skip the beginning of the video, it doesn't seem like it has very much to do with the video for "Bebot".
soEXCLUSIVE
I wasn't offended by it at all. The "shrilly mother" thing cracked me up so hard, though, I can't imagine watching it without smiling.

I like the first generation video better though.
maguti
I think i like the VERY beggining of generation two instead of the video itself. The part that goes "hey dad have you seen my xylophone?.." It cracks me up every time, I tried it on my dad and he said the same thing. The generation two video wasn't what I expected the video for bebot to be like, generation one was more like it. I do like the whole mom part because it was so true.

Offending? No, I don't really find it offending at all.
Mr. Slowjamz
umm at least he made a filipino song anyone can dance too ...much love apldeap.
Mr. Slowjamz
yea its pretty simplestic ........but onnce you get to see "Black Brotha" from angie stone in MTV 24/7 you would want to fee; great apl de ap made a video about this .
slipper
hahahahahahaha, the mom's hilarious. i'm so realated to a filipino lady like that.

oh, jasmine trias! hey, i saw camile velasco also.

anyway, laugh.gif laugh.gif
iDecay
So basically I had a REALLY hard time trying to figure out what the hell was being said. I hardly understood anything. shrug.gif Eh, shrilly mother.. most asian moms are like that. My mom is hella shrilly. pinch.gif

My god. Why the hell was filipino said so many times? It got really annoying especially when it was like "fili fili fili fili filipino." blink.gif
Mr. Slowjamz
yea actually im starting to understand what your saying . all mothers act like that even my mom ....that "post suplada spanish feeling" ...with there ego , its part of the blood ....i lived with 8 dominant women in my family ...so im guessing i would know ......heck i see it in alotta of the filipino girls in college too ...they get all shrilly/ditzy and stuff. ... i think thats what older filipinos complain about which downgrades and mis-represents our culture ..we have to get back our classy side . like during the 50`s and the 70`s . that being mixed asians, hispanics , malays and americans is a good thing . rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.