Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Books you cant stand....
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
Pages: 1, 2
xoxo_proud
Are they're any books you really dislike?

I couldn't stand Bean Trees. I got through some of it but I found it so boring and long. I didnt enjoy Romeo and Juliet either. I love the way Shakespeare writes but I couldnt stand the characters.
Smoogrish
When I was little, I absolutely hated the Magic Treehouse or whatever. Our first grade teacher was obesessed with those books. -shudders-
mahokaida
I didn't like Romeo and Juliet as well, but I really couldn't stand Of Mice and Men. I just didn't get why it is considered such a classic. If anyone can explain it to me, please do.
Kathleen
I LOATHED Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Awakening. Borrrrrinnng. yawn.gif The characters pissed me off in those books as well. Getting through the dialect in Their Eyes Were Watching God was TORTURE.
goodcharlotte
QUOTE(Kathleen @ Aug 28 2006, 3:55 PM) *
I LOATHED Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Awakening. Borrrrrinnng. yawn.gif The characters pissed me off in those books as well. Getting through the dialect in Their Eyes Were Watching God was TORTURE.

rofl1.gif

I didn't like Project X. Never Read it. It is horribly written and the editing was horrible as well. So many typos pinch.gif . I couldn't stand to read it but once I start a book I have to end it.
mona lisa
The Call of the Wild by Jack London. Had to read it in English class in the ninth grade. It was so long and boring. I remember there wasn't much dialogue and I couldn't understand what was going on.
Serendipity
QUOTE(mona lisa @ Aug 29 2006, 11:53 AM) *
The Call of the Wild by Jack London. Had to read it in English class in the ninth grade. It was so long and boring. I remember there wasn't much dialogue and I couldn't understand what was going on.

I received that book as a gift, read half of it, and got bored. It was really dry and the whole plot was sorta hard to follow.
mznikki
at the moment I can't stand my summer reading book, Fast Food Nation, its all facts and whatnot and it's scaring the crap otta me O.o some people that already read it say that its good and other say its boring. nuts.. i'm half way done i'll be done before this week is over. =]
radhikaeatsraman
YES, Mona, The Call of the Wild was terrible. I read it in eighth grade. I read Alas, Babylon for my ninth grade summer reading, and it sucked as well.
Mistress Bags
Far From the Madding Crowd. I hate to read it my senior year, and I hated it. It was dull, and about sheep.
disco infiltrator
The Turn of the Screw...did anyone ever have to read that? Oh, and the Odyssey. A lot of people like it, but I hated it.
mona lisa
QUOTE(disco infiltrator @ Aug 29 2006, 10:20 PM) *
The Turn of the Screw...did anyone ever have to read that? Oh, and the Odyssey. A lot of people like it, but I hated it.
The Turn of the Screw? Is that a parody of The Taming of the Shrew?
xoxo_proud
Oh I hate the Odyssey. It was long and boring and I didnt understand much of it
Mistress Bags
I hate most literature, actually.

I have a very active imagination, so I need something fast-paced, full of action, and deep characters. Literature usually lacks that.
dinoooRAWR
well .. the ones you know what happens at the end after reading the first chapter /=
KissMe2408
QUOTE(mona lisa @ Aug 29 2006, 2:53 PM) *

Oh God, I remember that one.
They made us read that in middle school. I hated that as well.

I'm pretty sure I hated "The Tempest", I just remember really wanting to finish it quickly.
disco infiltrator
QUOTE(mona lisa @ Aug 29 2006, 9:27 PM) *
The Turn of the Screw? Is that a parody of The Taming of the Shrew?

No, it's just a really awful book.
thanhmai
into the wild by jon krakauer

blech _dry.gif
iROCKYOURSOCKS
i couldnt stand A peoples History of the United States I HAD to read it for my history class dammmmmnnnn that was SO BORING!!!!!
mona lisa
QUOTE(' post='2263770 @ Aug 31 2006, 10:38 PM)
..I really hate the boxcar children or whatever. I would pretend to read them in class, but really I was just blurring it out. Gosh I hate those.
Aww, really? =\ I loved reading them when I was a kid. Mystery, adventure, lots of dialogue; my type of book.
Listelle
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway. It should have been interesting, with bridges blowing up and gypsies and whatnot, but I absolutely hated the way it was written. All the sentences were three words or less, I swear. I never finished it. Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness was horrible too.
Gypsy Eyes
East of Eden. I wanted to burn in when we had to read it in english. It had really cool connections and allusions but it was too long and there was no actual plot.

And my AP american textbook.
expoised
The Scarlet Letter . I can't stand Nathaniel Hawthorne. Even that short story "Young Goodman Brown"... Maybe it wasn't so bad. Maybe I just hate him because my junior year english teacher made us analyze him to death.

We had to read City of Darkness, City of Light by Margeret Pierce (I think... now that i think about it, i'm not so sure) for World History sophomore year. It's pretty trippy. Lots of sex and blood and at the end, the woman turns lesbian. It's set during the French Revolution. I thought it was a waste of time.
xforgottenlove
i hate the lord of the rings trilogy x___x'
NoSex
Go Ask Alice. _dry.gif
I can't begin to stomach that bullshit.
I Shot JFK
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

I wanted to blow my brains out.

OH, and Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen. We had to read it in 4th grade AND 6th grade. horrific. wanted to die.
Zatanna
A Thousand Acres. I felt like I was being punished the whole time I was reading it.
Nymphetamine
With no one as witness. WTF?
goodcharlotte
QUOTE(Acid Bath Slayer @ Sep 1 2006, 1:58 AM) *
Go Ask Alice. _dry.gif
I can't begin to stomach that bullshit.

I liked that book. ohmy.gif

I hated Cry of the Kalahari.
soEXCLUSIVE
QUOTE(I Shot JFK @ Sep 1 2006, 8:28 AM) *
OH, and Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen. We had to read it in 4th grade AND 6th grade. horrific. wanted to die.

Argh, me too. There's no point in reading it unless you anticipate being stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to learn how to survive. You know he's gonna get rescued.

ttyl... I can't even begin to say how much I hate that book.
expoised
QUOTE(soEXCLUSIVE @ Sep 3 2006, 8:22 PM) *
Argh, me too. There's no point in reading it unless you anticipate being stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to learn how to survive. You know he's gonna get rescued.

ttyl... I can't even begin to say how much I hate that book.

then... what's the point in reading anything?

books aren't meant to be a self-help tutorial or a learning guide.
whooooshy
^x2
I reallyyyy disliked ttyl too. I thought it would be kinda interesting, the format and all, but I didn't even manage to finish it. Partly because it was due back at the library, but also 'cause I lost interest in it.
Gigi
Hatchet. And The Cay. Oh, dear God. We went through this phase in elementary school, and all we were forced to read were books about survival. It was HORRIBLE.

I also hate books about books. What's the point of writing a 2 inch book on the secrets behind the Da Vinci Code, or J.K. Rowling's success with Harry Potter?
expoised
I really hate the SV Twin series. It's so... guasdhf. and it makes me want to shoot myself.

Fearless is a little better, though.

Basically, me & Francine Pascal have a love-hate relationship. Some of her books are just plain bullshit, but then others are pretty fun for a light read.
goodcharlotte
Box Car Children. We had to read them in like Kindergarden. It was torture.
yrrnotelekktric
Ramona Quimby books. My sister and I used to own soo many and when we moved we just kept them in this bin and I don`t know what to do with them and theres soo many hammer.gif
fameONE
Dan Brown's novels.

The DaVinci Code was overrated, damnit. It was a well writted romance novel disguised as a suspense thriller. As was Angels & Demons and Deception Point.
mipadi
QUOTE(BrandonSaunders @ Sep 5 2006, 6:10 AM) *
It was a well writted romance novel disguised as a suspense thriller.

Well-written? Bah!
Gypsy Eyes
QUOTE(I Shot JFK @ Sep 1 2006, 8:28 AM) *
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

I wanted to blow my brains out.

Oh man I remember Hatchet. That was horrible.
Kathleen
QUOTE(The E-Man @ Sep 5 2006, 12:31 AM) *

I REMEMBER READING THOSE. XD.gif They weren't so bad! sad.gif Then again, I think I'm the same way with movies as I am with books.. I like the vast majority of them. rolleyes.gif
xoxo_proud
I was in love with the boxcar children but that was in 3rd grade.

I think that the Fearless series are usually light reads to. I get those done in a day or two tongue.gif

Go Ask Alice is an olddd book. My mom told me it was really popular when she was growing up.
Azarel
QUOTE(BrandonSaunders @ Sep 5 2006, 3:10 AM) *
Dan Brown's novels.
Amen. Nicholas Sparks's shit, too.
silver-rain
Ugh, Washington Square by Henry James was really boring and hard to get into.
This Confession
ALL Nicholas Spark books.

He's a complete ass in real life too.
yrrnotelekktric
^ laugh.gif i agree!
goodcharlotte
QUOTE(This Confession @ Sep 7 2006, 5:11 PM) *
ALL Nicholas Spark books.

He's a complete ass in real life too.

Agreed.
Serendipity
QUOTE(The E-Man @ Sep 4 2006, 9:31 PM) *

^ I used to love those books. =P
illriginal
Harry Potter books... just not my type of literature. yawn.gif
This Confession
Hah, I suppose you guys have met him? His wife is rather nice but man hes just a complete you know what.

Anywayyy I didn't like the box car children that much either, after the first few of them it got kind of eh.
expoised
Over the summer, I read like... every single book James Patterson wrote. I don't know why, since I really don't like James Patterson's writing at all. His characters are pretty much flat, and his villains are always twisted in the same exact way. Maybe it's just for the little thrill.

If anyone ever wants to read a thriller... don't do it. Just watch a movie. "Thriller" books always end up dissappointing me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.