Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look at music history, who was the most influential/inspiring musicians?
Forums > Community Center > Music
Statistik
Rock: Ricki Hendrix
Soul: Luther Vandross
Rap/Hip-Hop: Tupac Shakur
Pop: Madonna (had to be honest)

list for every four of those genres.
PrincessAda
I don`t know about rock/pop/soul
but on the rap and hip hop one..thats what I was thinkin`..
lanbexx
jay chou
Statistik
^we talkin about america here
misoshiru
But you're talking about music history, and that's not all of history if you're limiting it to just those four genres and in America. I'm sorry if I'm being really picky about this, but as a music minor, I find it really irritating for "music history" to be limited to pretty much the past 50 years and only American culture.
no-name
QUOTE(Statistik @ Jul 6 2006, 9:50 PM) *

I am surprised you listen to other genres besides rap
Statistik
QUOTE(smallsXalmighty @ Jul 7 2006, 3:46 AM) *
I am surprised you listen to other genres besides rap

I don't. I just listed in my opinion, who the most influential musicians were.
alias5731
rock: nirvana
i admit jimmy hendrix did a lot in music but to me most of bands have been influenced by nirvana rather than by jimmy hendrix.
Zatanna
Hmm. I actually like the catagories Statistik listed. If we were to go into every influental/inspiring musician in the history of history, we'd be here for a very long time. I mean seriously, you could go back to Mozart, back to the Greeks and even further back in history.

I'll intrepret the question as sort of a - who in modern history, or the 20th Centry are the most influential/inspiring musicians and for ease, I'll use the catagories given.

Rock: The Beatles - They had the most electic range and really tested out bounderies
Soul: This is a stretch, and probably not considered soul, more blues, but BB King. Several musicians, including contemporary artists are inspired by him. He is the real "King" in my opinion.
Rap/Hip-Hop: Run DMC. I grow up in an era when rap wasn't considered mainstream quite yet. These guys were real. They seemed real at least. And they were FUN! I loved these guys.
Pop: Madonna - You cannot deny that she was the epitome of the Princess of Pop. But every Princess needs a Prince. And that would be Michael Jackson. I still listen to The Wall and Thriller and enjoy every minute of it.
danginja
Frank Sinatra hands down.
Hiphop d[-_-]b
QUOTE(Statistik @ Jul 6 2006, 6:50 PM) *

Do you mean Jimmi Hendrix ?

But other than that, I pretty much agree with everything you put, except Michael Jackson and Madonna should both get Pop
RiC3xBoy
Lmao...Ricky Hendrix....

Rock: Metallica
Soul: Iono
Funk: James Brown
Hip Hop: Shiiiiiet. Iono. Run DMC?
Pop: Yeah, probably MJ
Statistik
Jimmi*

lmfao my bad.
misoshiru
QUOTE(Zatanna @ Jul 8 2006, 1:03 AM) *
Hmm. I actually like the catagories Statistik listed. If we were to go into every influental/inspiring musician in the history of history, we'd be here for a very long time. I mean seriously, you could go back to Mozart, back to the Greeks and even further back in history.

I'll intrepret the question as sort of a - who in modern history, or the 20th Centry are the most influential/inspiring musicians and for ease, I'll use the catagories given.

I know, but as a music minor/major, I find this topic title rather narrowminded. If you get what I mean. wink.gif
xquizit
Rock: The Ramones
Soul: MARVIN GAYE
Rap/Hip-Hop: Rakim
Pop: Michael Jackson
Statistik
^haven't seen you around here for awhile, welcome back roxanne.
ECD & C0
Frank Sinatra hands down.

EWW HELL NO I HATE HIM AND ALL HIS MUSIC

Elvis Madonna Michael Jackson
no-name
cannibal corpse
Run dmc
Slayer
Micheal jackson
The beatles
pinksharpiex
Rock-Buddy Holly or Bill Haley
Soul:...
Rap/Hip hop:...
Pop:The Beatles

QUOTE(alias5731 @ Jul 7 2006, 12:45 PM) *
rock: nirvana
i admit jimmy hendrix did a lot in music but to me most of bands have been influenced by nirvana rather than by jimmy hendrix.

No offense, but are you serious? Nirvana was a grunge band. They were part of a subgenere of a genre. They didn't really define rock n' roll, just simple a subgenre of it.
fameONE
KanYe West
Michael Jackson
Sly & the Family Stone
The Beatles
Chuck Berry
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Scott Joplin
danginja
QUOTE(ECD & C0 @ Jul 8 2006, 6:41 PM) *
EWW HELL NO I HATE HIM AND ALL HIS MUSIC

Elvis Madonna Michael Jackson

......Anyways.

Johnny Cash is great too.
fameONE
Elvis has no musical credibility. He is merely an icon. If there were no Big Momma Thorton and no Chuck Berry, Elvis would've just been a drugged up degenerate.
Statistik
don't say elvis we ain't goin back that old .. how were the beatles pop, weren't they rock
Gigi
^ The Beatles were a little bit of everything, and they revolutionized and influenced many genres of music, not just rock or pop. That's why they're so great. But I would list them more as rock.
Zatanna
I listed them as Rock. Classic rock to be exact, but meh, rock.

By the way, "Ricki Hendrix" was around when Elvis was (albeit, not in the early Elvis days, but still). laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.