Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: British Rapper MIA Denied Entry Into U.S.
Forums > Community Center > Music
Statistik
British rapper MIA was reportedly refused a visa by American immigration officials due to the political content of her lyrics.

MIA's lyrics are said to support the Sri Lankan political group Tamil Tigers and the Sri Lankan armed forces.

The rapper, born Maya Arulpragasa, was planning to visit the United States to work on her new album with various Hip-Hop producers.

Shortly after the incident, the London-born Sri Lankan rapper posted a blog on her Web site telling fans, "Roger, roger, do you hear me, over? The U.S. immigration won't let me in, I'm locked out. They won't let me in. Now I'm making my album outside the borders."

Last year, MTV banned MIA's single "Sunflowers" because it was a song about a suicide bomber.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5714
hi-C
OH, THAT'S SOME BULLSHIZNIT RIGHT THERE! mad.gif

I love MIA.
MrElsewhere
well, that's why uber politcal emcees don't make it mainstream. the gov't and industry just doesn't want it.

haha imma see if i can get a few tracks from her.
hi-C
^ If you can't, let me know, I have her whole album (except for "U.R.A.Q.T.") on mp3.
radhikaeatsraman
FTW.

Assholes. >:[
much2muse
MTV banned MIA's single "Sunflowers" because it was a song about a suicide bomber

wtf? can mtv not handle controversial issues or something? they'll put ten million songs about sex on their channel but not that?!
hi-C
^ That's not all that surprising. I mean, really, look at their parent compay: Viacom. They got Comedy Central to pull the plug on the Scientology episode of South Park because Tom Cruise threatened not to promote M:I:3. And you know that if they didn't pull it, the government would've made them do it anyway.

BTW, the name of the song is "Sunshowers," just so you all know. It was misquoted in the article.
much2muse
Yea, it doesn't surprise me. It just annoys me. stubborn.gif
StrangeMagic
That is more than annoying cause we let people with tons of drugs in the us, but we can't let an artist in, that is some crap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.