Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Love terminology issues
Forums > Community Center > The Lounge
proudpk
I'm a french canadian. Altough I'm pretty much fully bilingual my first language is french and recently I've become somewhat confused... Maybe you guys can help me out.

In french, we usually either say that we love someone, or that we think they are good looking. There are also a few middle-ground words to say that we could eventually love or have sex with someone. However in english you seem to be saying "I like him" as much as "I love him"... whats exactly the distinction between the two (if there is even one)?? In my head they are exactly the same thing.

Hehe. Stupid question, but I need to know.
Thanks in advance.

peace.
toxical
It depends on what the person saying it really means.

In my opinion, when someone says "I like him", they're referring to the person as either a crush, or maybe they're dating that person and are talking about them with someone else. For example :

Girl with her friend:
Girl 1: So, how do you feel about your boyfriend?
Girl 2: I like him.

Girl with her boyfriend:
Girl: I love you.
Boy: I love you, too.

I hope that helps. Now that I think about it, that is pretty confusing.
[Mediocre]Artist
If I'm flirting or really amused with something a guy says I'll say, "I like you" My boyfriend gets "I love you" To some people they meant the same thing though.
Smoogrish
Moved to Lounge.
Blow_Don't_SUCK
Like just means you're attracted to the person. Love is...strong..
pshaa.shauna
But also some people misuse the word love....
Blow_Don't_SUCK
yeah...in here love can mean you're infatuated >_< or obsessed
talcumpowder
It gets even more confusing in Japanese (oh the hidden levels of meaning!), but English is pretty simple.
No one cares what words mean anymore. I says "I love you" as a joke to my friend. It's sort of a... Inside joke, let's say. The infliction is all wrong when I say it to him though. It's flat, no hidden emotion. I think that's the difference... Does that make any sense or am I just running my mouth?
xPartyGrlDx
shauna' date='May 15 2006, 5:23 PM' post='2046783']
But also some people misuse the word love....

Very much. It pisses me off. stubborn.gif

Like = crush, simple, "puppy love"
Love = strong, martial, bond
xoxoxx
Don't talk about love with strangers.

Topic Closed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.