Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doing your laundry...
Forums > Community Center > The Lounge
x_far_x
Ok, so I'm in college now and everytime I do my laundry it comes out dirtier than they were before. So..how do you do it? What colors do you separate. I read online that you separate the whites from the colors, but what about dark colors? Do they consider it as "colors"? There's also some water thing, where you go with the warm and the cold, aaaahhh! When do you use bleach and stuff? When I lived with my parents, and I just spilled sauce on my pants, I have to go and soak that in water and detergant before washing it. Does that really work? Oy..yeah lots of questions, but I'm need of help..lol. Ok thanks a lot cb-ers, love ya guys!

Oh and sorry if somebody already posted this...thanks again!

Love,

-FaR
sw33t_rouge
darks- dark blue black ...dark colors
white- creme color and white and your socks!

seperate your clothes well or some of the darkr colors might stain your white ones.
myPESTICIDE
Only use bleach in a small load of items that are dingy and need to be brightened.
Separate whites from darks, whites can even be light yellow or orange, maybe pink but you're a guy so I don't know how much pink stuff you have. Good luck, anyways. I'm 13 and I do my own laundry all the time lol.
x_far_x
Hmm...so total of loads is 2 right? The whites/"light" color and the dark ones. Dont you have to wash light colors and whites in different temp of water?

Love,

-FaR
MeowGurl
we usually have 5 different loads:

whites - warm water with bleach... some washing machines vary where to put in the bleach. some have little compartments for it, others don't. if it doesn't, then put the bleach in with the soap and do NOT add the clothes until it starts spinning.

colors (green, pink, light blue, etc.) - warm water, no bleach

dark colors - cold water, no bleach

jeans - cold or cold/warm (some washing machines allow you to choose a different temperature for the wash and rinse cycle. if yours doesn't, just use cold water for this load). also don't use bleach

delicates - warm or cold, doesn't matter. no bleach

sooo basically, that's how you separate the clothes and only use bleach for the whites.

hope that helps you! trust me on this, my mom makes me do the laundry every week >___>
yoshie
no, you don't wash it diff temperature for different shades. you wash different temperature (or wash cycle .. like delicate, perm press, cotton etc) by the material of your clothes.

Hot Water: Best cleaning. Use for whites, or colorful/light colored clothes.
Warm Water: Cleans while avoiding dye loss and also reduces the amount of wrinkling in clothes. Use for perm press, dark or bright colors, any material made from nylon, polyester, acrylic, and woolens.
Cold Water: Helps preserve sensitive dye colors, as well as minimize all wrinkles. Doesn't clean as well as hot or warm water but saves energy. Use for sensitive dye shirts, lightly soiled clothes, or protein stains (blood).

Cycles
Regular: Cycle for cotton, linen. Regular speed and cycle.
Permanent Press: Cycle for shirts, blouses (depends on material)
Delicates: Cycle for sensitive materials such as nylon.
Extra Rinse: Cycle for heavily soiled fabrics.
Smoogrish
Always check the label before you wash it. Don't wash clothing in the wrong water temperature or with the wrong colors. That will ruin your clothing.
x_far_x
Hmm..ok, the problem is that there is only 1 laundry room for the whole apartment complex...yeah, very convinient. They have 2 washing and drying machines, so...5 loads wouldnt be good. I'm trying to keep it 2, how bout this:

Whites and light colors with warm water

Dark colors and jeans with cold water

yes? Oy..this is harder than I thought...

Love,

-FiRM
Comik-knerd
I've never done my own loundry bfore so i wouldn't no?
absinthe
wtf mate, i don't even separate. i just throw everything in there, dump a cup of soap in there, and TADA! all clean. i don't know wtf you're doing to make it dirtier. o0;;
Libertie
QUOTE(agiri @ May 14 2006, 2:04 PM) *
wtf mate, i don't even separate. i just throw everything in there, dump a cup of soap in there, and TADA! all clean. i don't know wtf you're doing to make it dirtier. o0;;

LOL If you're using colorsafe detergent, sometimes it's okay to do that. I always try to follow the label but after a certain point I just start getting lazy and slowly mix colors together until it really is one big load of all these different colors.

I'm wondering the same thing though, are you even using soap? I don't know how it could possibly get dirtier. XD It could be your machine, it's possible that it's not properly rinsing the dirt, just redistributing it so everything has a nice, even, disgusting coat. biggrin.gif
sprezzatura
I just throw everything in and hand wash those that the stain might come off.
`SWTWiNKLE3YES
u put dark colors with each other and never put white or anything light with them ... and i put white with very light colors
jennyjenny
i've been doing laundry since middle school. it's really not that hard.

i throw everything in and then pour in a cup of liquid detergent. then i put it in the dryer and put 1-2 pieces of dryer sheets (bounce and snuggle smell the best, imo). then you take it out, fold/hang them, then you're done.

sometimes my jeans lose color, but then i just seperate dark colors from light colors. i use cold water the whole time, and since i hardly wear anything "delicate", i just use normal wash. my parents tell me not to use hot/warm water because it wastes gas/heat, but if you're not paying for it use warm/hot for darker ones, i think. i don't really think it matters. you should use woolite, for blacks blacker than black.
This Confession
hah wow
i'm 14 and have been washing my clothes since i was like 12..

anyway you probably should seperate your whites.. then your colors
colors can go in 2s
light stuff and dark stuff
light stuff is bright clothes
and dark stuff is like blacks and reds together..

i wash my color clothes in cold water.. its not supposed to shrink your clothes from what i hear but i don't care it washes my clothes
and then whites i would probably put it warm or hot clothes..

good luck happy.gif
Blow_Don't_SUCK
You have 3 loads:
Whites
Bright Colored
Dark Colored

Whites - hot water
Bright Colored - warm water
Dark Colored - cold water

You place one load at a time in the washer
x_far_x
What can happen if you mix in the light colors with the dark colors?

Love,

-FiRM
mipadi
I don't know how your school works, but at mine, everything is done in the same water (there are only cold water pipes going to the washing machines) so I do a single load in the washer and a single load in the dryer every two weeks.
misoshiru
I do just one load, or what you can do is, just wash your loads at different times. For example, you can set Saturdays to wash lightcolors/whites and Tuesday to wash colors or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.