Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sarcasm. facetiousness. causticness.
Forums > Community Center > The Lounge
Kathleen
sar·casm
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

...I just wanted to make sure all of you know that this exists, and is actually a very useful weapon in the fight against evil. Please, for the love of God, use this knowledge well.
mipadi
Just don't use it.

Not that anyone on cB does. wink.gif
Smoogrish
Yeah, who would do that?

One day, there will be a superhero with the power of sarcasm! And then we will all be saved. Yupyup.
SarahxJoy
QUOTE(mipadi @ May 9 2006, 8:27 PM) *
Just don't use it.

Not that anyone on cB does. wink.gif

Of course not.. whistling.gif shifty.gif
I Shot JFK
QUOTE(Kathleen @ May 10 2006, 4:25 AM) *
sar·casm
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
...I just wanted to make sure all of you know that this exists, and is actually a very useful weapon in the fight against evil. Please, for the love of God, use this knowledge well.

*joins teh ranks of the Sarcasm Soldiers.

hrrm. the ss. unfortunate, bu5t ah well.
mona lisa
Hm. It can get extremely annoying when used too often. But yes, a powerful tool.
pshaa.shauna
Really now?

I fight evil everyday then....
Statues/Shadows
To fully understand this, one needs to actually be aware of what irony is. Most people (Alanis Morissette in particular) seem to get irony mixed up with coincidence quite often.

i·ro·ny
n.

1. a) The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
b) An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
c) A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

2. a)Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
b) An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity.
talcumpowder
Sixth grade parent confrence (English/History):
Teacher says, "Your child is very sarcastic."
Father says, "Sarcastic? Why, not at all!"
Mother says, "Gee, I wonder where she got that from. -evil glare-"
----
But that was in sixth grade where the teacher deserved every maliciously sarcastic comment I gave her. And the assignment I call "A Creative Title". That's what she said in the instructions afterall...
Okay, okay. There's a useless post that has pretty much nothing to do with your topic!
xosteffanator
^ haha reili.
I'm sarcastic, but not very much on cB
Ington
I get it. :D
My Cinderella.
I'm sarcastic. But I know when I need to stop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.