Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE PIANO
Forums > Community Center > Music
Pages: 1, 2
nightmare4taki
Whats happening? W'zup? Don't you just love the piano? Its my favorite instrument, its IMO more dynamic than those other instruments _dry.gif .

Anyway what are some of your favorite piano musicians and piano songs?

Favorite Pianist - Alicia Keys, Jamie Foxx, Ray Charles, Chopin, Herbie Hancock
Favorite Songs- Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin , The Night Winds by Charles Tomlinson Griffes

If you play the piano lets turn this into a dicussion. Cheaaaaaaaaa.
AnnahhbeL
I play the piano.
And all of the songs you listed above too.
I really like Aicia Key's piano music. It sounds so good. I actually like Vanessa Carlton the best. Her music is so insperational.

What level are you?
I'm level 6. ph34r.gif
Smoogrish
I quit piano a while ago. I didn't have the heart to keep on playing. It bored me.
Kathleen
I wish I could play the piano. Steph used to. Hrm. I don't think this belongs here. Does it? blink.gif
think!IMAGINARILY
i prefer the clarinet. 'cause i play first clarinet for band.
i used to play the piano when i was in like 4th grade, but i quit 'cause i had a busy schedule.
the piano's pretty cool though. i like keyboard in songs, like some of Something Corporate's.
juliar
ROFL.
KC, you dont have your AZN card, you can't talk about / play piano >:o

anyway, i hate the piano with a passion, unless it's part of some sort of good song. because i never learned to play the piano, and i personally think it's useless.
nightmare4taki
QUOTE(juliar @ May 3 2006, 10:30 PM) *
ROFL.
KC, you dont have your AZN card, you can't talk about / play piano >:o

rolleyes.gif Oh you had to go there, do I have to go dig up the history books. Don't forget about Jazz (which involves use of the piano), whose only superior is classical music, which was started by you know who. Even Rock was started by a you know who with Chuck Berry and Little Richard( another black pianist). So why I gotta to be Asian yo, how come I can't be like Ray Charles or Herbie Hancock? laugh.gif
AngryBaby
ive seen some badass pianists in my time, they're all asian though
juliar
QUOTE(nightmare4taki @ May 3 2006, 11:45 PM) *
rolleyes.gif Oh you had to go there, do I have to go dig up the history books. Don't forget about Jazz (which involves use of the piano), whose only superior is classical music, which was started by you know who. Even Rock was started by a you know who with Chuck Berry and Little Richard( another black pianist). So why I gotta to be Asian yo, how come I can't be like Ray Charles or Herbie Hancock? laugh.gif

Because um

um
JLO SAID SO!
alright alright. you dont gotta be asian. you dont need no azn card. alright.
nightmare4taki
QUOTE(juliar @ May 3 2006, 10:51 PM) *
Because um

um
JLO SAID SO!
alright alright. you dont gotta be asian. you dont need no azn card. alright.

cry.gif But I need one, cus you saw what Evan said.

QUOTE(brownsugar @ May 3 2006, 10:15 PM) *
KC, record yourself playing.
You must've improved!

Oh word, you know how I roll. I found this book on proper piano techniques and practice and it works wonders.
Gigi
Favourite composers include Chopin and Debussy.

I love all of Chopin's nocturnes and can play most of them, Clair de Lune, and a number of Beethoven sonatas.

Any piano in popular music is freaking awesome, too. =)
AngryBaby
some of the asian guys i see spaz out while their playing. im like, "whoa dude"
sprezzatura
I love playing Chopin's waltzes.

Romantic music is the shizz.
mylittleMiracle
i play the Piano. i luv Chopin and Debussy=D
SarahxJoy
QUOTE(annabel_x @ May 3 2006, 8:15 PM) *
I actually like Vanessa Carlton the best. Her music is so insperational.

I agree with you. Vanessa Carlton's piano playing is out of this world.
Some other composers I like are Mozart, Beethoven, and Yiruma.

And really two of my all time favorites to play is Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. Eeek. _smile.gif He's coolios, y0. cool.gif
stephinika
Moved to Entertainment

I used to play...I couldn't stand practicing and stuff though so I quit. Listening to it though is quite nice. _smile.gif
maryissa
I wanna take piano lessons during Summer Break. I just love how the piano sounds. I can play the beginning of Fur Elise still trying to learn the middle. But thats it.
Sparkey
QUOTE(tainted_angel @ May 4 2006, 12:45 AM) *
I agree with you. Vanessa Carlton's piano playing is out of this world.
Some other composers I like are Mozart, Beethoven, and Yiruma.

And really two of my all time favorites to play is Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. Eeek. _smile.gif He's coolios, y0. cool.gif

i can play A thousand miles on the piano (not all of it though)
biggrin.gif
starlette
Pianos a nice instrument. I use it for beat production when I write melodies and things like that. I don't play much piano music, but I play a mean Sound of Music and Climb Every Mountain from the sound of music. I usually just play by ear though. Like I wrote my own arrangement to the titanic song.
Blow_Don't_SUCK
I play the piano but not as good as you KC laugh.gif I'm more of a strings fanatic. Regina Spektor is a good pianist though.
Paulina
The piano is my favorite instrument.
I like Vanessa Carlton's piano music. It's always so cool in her songs.
And I like the Zanarkand song from FFX. I tried playing it but it sounds like crap.
I took lessons for 3 years from 2nd grade to 5th but then I quit for some reason.
I still play about an hour a day for fun. But I can only play 2 good songs. biggrin.gif
xmy_sweet_revengex
I like the piano, i play alot of instruments but i have to say piano is one of my favorite. we just did bohemian rhaposdy for my composition and i got to do the full sanata in A by mozart for next year. there both good songs but i have to say bohemian rhaposdy is so boaring after youve heard it too many times by rubish singers lol. Anyway, keep up the good work =).

Also with the to zanakand, it took me a while to learn it with the chords aswell, its not an easy peice to play but the trick is to just keep trying
WHOngos144
I play the piano.
I don't practice that much, I'm not that good.
I can play I can't stop loving you by ray charles, to zanarkand from FFX, and some song by Debussy.
hi-C
I used to play. I stopped two years ago, when I finished high school. My favorite composers are Erik Satie (I love his Gymnopedie series and "Je Te Veux"), Sergi Rachmaninov, and Chopin (Fantasie Impromptu, anyone?).

QUOTE(nightmare4taki @ May 3 2006, 11:13 PM) *
Whats happening? W'zup? Don't you just love the piano? Its my favorite instrument, its IMO more dynamic than those other instruments _dry.gif .

Favorite Songs- Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin , The Night Winds by Charles Tomlinson Griffes

I just saw that "Fantasie Impromptu" is one of your favorite songs. I loooooooovvvveeeeee this song. This kid who was in a piano class in my high school was some sort of prodigy because he had only been playing piano for a year and could play the hell out of that song.
marzipan
oh, i love the piano! i've been playing since i was 5. my fav composer is Debussy, and now i'm playing Gardens in the Rain. the french name is really weird, jardin sous la pluie. i think that's it. anybody play that song?
emazing
I'm not a devoted piano player, but I do play - just not well. <3 Right now my most likeable pieces that I actually enjoy playing are Mariage D'Amour, Moonlight Sonata, Sonate, and Village Dance. pinch.gif It's almost been 4 years now, and I still haven't got the basics yet.
nightmare4taki
QUOTE(Madame C @ May 4 2006, 6:27 PM) *
I used to play. I stopped two years ago, when I finished high school. My favorite composers are Erik Satie (I love his Gymnopedie series and "Je Te Veux"), Sergi Rachmaninov, and Chopin (Fantasie Impromptu, anyone?).
I just saw that "Fantasie Impromptu" is one of your favorite songs. I loooooooovvvveeeeee this song. This kid who was in a piano class in my high school was some sort of prodigy because he had only been playing piano for a year and could play the hell out of that song.

Yeah that has to be one of the most inspiring classical pieces I've ever come across. I love how it has its melodic points and then at certain parts it climaxes. I also like how you're under the impression that more notes are being played than in reality. I read up on it in some piano book and it said it was called the Moire Pattern or something like that.

I also forgot you add Nobuo Uematsu as one of my favorite composers. He is truly one of the greatest composers this era has ever seen.

I need tips from some of you piano players out there. When playing scales such as the one in Nobuo Uematsu's Find your Way from Final Fantasy 8 while going up the scale do you guys carry the thumb under(TU) the hand or treat it as every other finger and instead use the thumb over(TO) technique? Just curious because when I recored myself playing it, while using TO i can go pretty fast but when the thumb gets ready to play the next note I notice a small delay where as if I go Thumb under there isn't any delay but I can't accelerate as fast as I did using TO. I apologize if you can't understand the words that are coming out of my mouth._unsure.gif

meleonade
i HATE piano with a passion. im just so out of it when i play now cuz its not an interest to me anymore. its so feaking boring..or maybe cuz i just suck at it. i practice like only once a week and im in grade 10...my teacher is kinda getting pissed at me though cuz she knows im not trying hard enough but i cant help it cuz i have so much schoolwork and other things to do...my parents said i can quit only after finishing grade 10 so by the looks of it, its gonna take a while for me...
chaneun
QUOTE(nightmare4taki @ May 3 2006, 11:13 PM) *

HAHAHAHAHHAHA, KC.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

loser. you like her for her music, but mostly for her looks. xD
xoxoxx
i like jay chou.

tong hua is a good song.
-lana
I play piano. I'm getting bored of it though. I'm practicing for my exam for Grade 8, which is in about 2 months?! :|||||||| gosh, i don't think i'm ready, at all. Anyways, after that, I want to quit before I get into highschool.
WHOngos144
QUOTE(nightmare4taki @ May 5 2006, 1:26 PM) *
I need tips from some of you piano players out there. When playing scales such as the one in Nobuo Uematsu's Find your Way from Final Fantasy 8 while going up the scale do you guys carry the thumb under(TU) the hand or treat it as every other finger and instead use the thumb over(TO) technique? Just curious because when I recored myself playing it, while using TO i can go pretty fast but when the thumb gets ready to play the next note I notice a small delay where as if I go Thumb under there isn't any delay but I can't accelerate as fast as I did using TO. I apologize if you can't understand the words that are coming out of my mouth._unsure.gif

When I do my scales, I always do "thumb under". It just messes me up and slows me down when I do "thumb over". I don't really know anyone that does "thumb over". Try doing it the thumb under way.
nightmare4taki
^ Thx for the advice, I started using Thumb Over after I found this book about proper piano practice at this site.

http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

Im going to try using thumb over and see how far I can go with that.

QUOTE(chaneun @ May 5 2006, 8:25 PM) *
HAHAHAHAHHAHA, KC.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

loser. you like her for her music, but mostly for her looks. xD

pinch.gif But she looks so good playing the piano.
torey
The piano is my passion. I can only hope to learn to play well one day.
Mr. Slowjamz
bottom line :

Piano > Guitar

im also in love with alot Satie`s Msuci and Tchaikovsky .....i`ve been actually practicing alot with chords and classical techniques lately .....reading has gotten a little better ....but not better as chords ....especially with Jazz Music, you just could do so much more in piano rather then guitar . XD.gif Guitars are just soooo overated
gojira
yann tiersen
magicfann
Impromptu #2 - Schubert

gg
berry_lickable
uhm okay so im a novice on the piano. i just started playing about 5 months ago, so ya'll got any tips? any beginner songs that you could recommend to me?
sadolakced acid
i like kabalebsky.

go russian dudes!

thumb over is terrible. you lose your reference. when you've got a one hand run, go for it.

if you've got complex runs in both hands, i'd like to see those done thumb under.
sexthybeans
yuup! i especially love when great singers sing with piano! (like So Long on Dashboard Confessional's new album!)
i've been playing piano since before kindergarten.... which is a LONG time.
and i've always been eager to try new instruments, but i always went back to the piano. thumbsup.gif
Untrue Paradox
wow i played fantasie impromptu too for my lvl 10 exam...
its a beautiful song...
Tribal J_Rome
Don't know how to play, but I wish I could.

I like me some Yann Teirsen, Yiruma, Danny Elfman[the ones from A Corpse Bride], a little Mozart, piano song by Joe Hisaishi from Spirited Away, some Final Fantasy piano songs[never knew the names of the artists]

I need to expand in my library of piano music.
Gigi
QUOTE(nightmare4taki @ May 12 2006, 8:06 PM) *
^ Thx for the advice, I started using Thumb Over after I found this book about proper piano practice at this site.

http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

Im going to try using thumb over and see how far I can go with that.

What is the thumb-over technique, anyway? Like, when playing scales, you move the thumb over the other fingers? If that's what I'm thinking of, then you must play your scales really slowly, and have huge delays between notes...thumb over simply isn't done if you want to play a fast legato. wacko.gif

I'm learning Fantasie Impromptu right now and it's not working out for me. =(
sadolakced acid
thumb over- you lift your hand, slide it over, then play the next note.

stupid, really.
xmkaex
QUOTE(annabel_x @ May 3 2006, 10:15 PM) *
I play the piano.
And all of the songs you listed above too.
I really like Aicia Key's piano music. It sounds so good. I actually like Vanessa Carlton the best. Her music is so insperational.

What level are you?
I'm level 6. ph34r.gif

ohmy.gif there's a level??!?!?!!?!?

i play the piano for sometime now, but i still suck. xD

------------------
alicia key's and jamie fox are great piano player/singer _smile.gif
gr00vyswordsman
i think one reason some get bored with keyboard is cuz they dont know rhythmic patters....which allow you to play by ear.
YourSuperior
I LOVE THE PIANO!
I love it with a fire burning passion. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a piano. I love playing technical stuff. I love Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin, and I love all of Chopin's Etudes. I can play his nocturnes too, along with Beethoven/Mozart Sonatas. I recently got a book for my birthday that was complete with Chopin's Preludes and Etudes. I also like Rachmaninoff's Etudes and his famous Prelude in G Minor, along with Prelude in C Sharp Minor. Liszt also fascinates me. I love his Funèrailles which is almost 10 minutes long! His Mephisto Waltz #1, and La Campanella also fascinates me. I love most classical piano composer. I like to play pieces like Prokofiev's Toccatta which sounds so demonic. I love demonic sounding pieces, especially Prokofiev's Demonic Etude #'s 1-5. I aspire to be a concert pianist like Vladimir Horowitz, or Valentina Lisitsa. I like the way they play and get so many emotions from playing with their virtuosity.
laxumaster8
i play piano...but classical music [cause my mom makes me]
Chicago
i don't like play it or take lessons or anything,
but my friends have taught me how to do stuff
i think its fun! haha i can play ode to joy
and this thing when you roll your hand over the keys
and do this thing.. it sounds pretty cool! happy.gif
LennonLime
I love piano. I could never play it, but I love it when people play it well! I'm a wind intrument player, both Jazz and classical Clarinet, and various saxophones. _smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.