Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Dance at Prom NIght
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Girls' Locker
sarahjung
Well, I'm a junior in high school and I still don't know how to dance. I just transferred in from a private school last year, where dances weren't allowed. I actually went to my Junior Prom last Saturday, and I think I made a fool of myself. I was awkward, uncomfortable, and had no moves at all.

Yeahhh..I think I need some tips on how to dance.

The problem with me is that I'm extremely self-conscious and I don't like to embarrass myself. It's a bad quality and I wish I wasn't like that, but I am. I wish I could just have fun and be myself, but it's a lot harder for me than it sounds.

I got asked to go to Senior Ball which is on May 13. I have to learn how to dance by then! I don't really have the money to pay for lessons and my friends just laugh at me. If you have any advice or tips, pleeease tell me.

Thank you. =]
anoniez
lol! yeah im kinda having the same problem except slightly different. like, I dance fine at normal dances.. aka hip-hop/whatever, but I'm kinda scared of dancing normally in a PROM dress.. are you supposed to just ballroom dance with your date or something at prom? noo idea.

hm to address the original post (lol), if you wanna dance to hip-hop and stuff.. iono, watch MTV some and pick up some stuff that way, what I do is put the music on in my room and dance around tongue.gif all you need is practice, really. watching yourself in the mirror helps. im sure there are videos on google video of people dancing?

if you want normal dancing lessons, there are usually places that have free dance classes on certain days. check around! =]
Joss-eh-lime
dance lessons cant really help with dances. they can help you with rythm but they dont give you the exact moves for a dance. Just do what the ppl around u are doing. mostly move you hips and make sure ur hands arent hanging there; clap to the music
misoshiru
Dancing at prom is like dancing at any other dances, except for the fact that you'll have to be careful of your dress.

Since you've never really been to a dance before, I suggest that you move to the beat first. Watch what people surrounding you are doing, and you can mimick their moves.
_sarcastic_
^agree.
just go with the flow, roughly follow what others are doing. i can't even dance properly, but i just follow my friends around me
colleen92
maybe you can get together with one of your friends (that you can trust not tell anyone) to teach you a few moves. but for the most party it's just moving your hips and stuff...it's hard to describe lol. just put on some hip hop in your room and dance if front of the mirror and see what you've got ;). but whatever you do, DON'T do the disco or the macorina (or however you spell) unless you're kidding. lol!
ecargnmyst
what kind of dance? like..hip hop grinding ish? or would it be the old fashioned..ballroom dancing and such? b/c at my H.S. theres a special gym class for seniors only..and its the ballroom dancing class.. almost all the sr class is taking it so we're ready for prom (stupid me took lifeguard training instead -__- ) anyways if its ballroom dance..since u dont have the class..u can maybe just google dance steps online.. its pretty simple really.. and then if its hop hoppy...(i dont get why ppl would be grinding in elegant dresses in the first place) just..move yer ass =]
sarahjung
The dancing is the hiphop/grinding kind. Greaatt. I think I'm rythmn-impared.
uLoVeMikeRoch
It is? Ok, then go practice doing like, Crumpin or doing waves and shit. Haha, Im not exactly sure. Lets see, just watch a couple videos on Hiphop dancing and watching your self in the mirror. You just gotta be fluid and go with the flow.

Or You can be a B-girl.

By the way... Why am I in the girls locker room?
Wraith
Hi everyone, newbie here...

I'm having the same problem... I can't dance either. I've never been to a school dance in my life, and the only reason I'm going to prom is because its senior year and I know that I should. My date is a college student and he's never been to a high school dance either. Both of us can ballroom dance, though- waltz, rumba, etc... but I think everyone will think we're wierd if we do that... Any advice for two beginners on how to not look like fools and still have fun?

(It's interesting, I've searched online a lot and it seems that everyone is having the same problem with not being able to dance? So if no one knows how to dance, why are we all worrying about it? Just a thought... wink.gif )
EddieV
you uh, dance? I suck at dancing as well...
PrincessAda
Ummm...go with the flow..try your best.and do what you can.
SayuriTe
I had the exact same problem, but I'm over it now. You just have to try out whatever you think looks good. If you try it out in front of the mirror and you like what you see, then use it on the dance floor!

People aren't going to be looking at you anyways, as they will be too busy dancing. If they are looking, or teasing you in any way about your dancing, just move away from those people or dance near a group of your friends. Those kind of people are not fun.

If you are still nervous, compare dance moves with good friends and ask them if it looks weird what you're doing.

Move your hips, and move your feet from side to side. You can put your arms up above your head, too, or sway them at hip level, but try not to get TOO energetic and whack somebody dancing beside you. Also, try not to stare at anyone, as this will freak them out. If you think your are getting sweaty from a lot of dancing, like in the underarm area, try and keep your arms down, as pit stains are not attractive.

I would advise against grinding (especially at a formal dance), unless you are brave or outgoing. If you like doing it, that's cool too, just don't do it with the wrong person, i.e. someone trying to grab your boobs etc.

Fun Tip: Find your jam. When practising at home, find a song online or on the radio or MTV or whatever that you think is the best song in the world for dancing to. Then you have something to ask the DJ to play at your dance. If the DJ plays your song, you will have the most fun ever.
Call911Quick
QUOTE(anoniez @ Apr 4 2006, 09:44 PM) *
hm to address the original post (lol), if you wanna dance to hip-hop and stuff.. iono, watch MTV some and pick up some stuff that way, what I do is put the music on in my room and dance around tongue.gif

Pop, lock, bboy, n freestyling = hip-hop

Rubbing hips in a repetitive motion for a whole song =/= dancing

Grinding = rubbing hips in a repetitive motion for a whole song

Thus, grinding =/= dancing

Just wanted to clarify.

And you SHOULD dance hip-hop at Prom because they will play hip-hop songs anyway.

It looks awesome and original if you do it in high heels and a dress with all prettied up hair.

YaGurlSukedMe2SLeep
stick your ass out and shake.
shoryuken
DROPP datt shiett LIKEE dat HAWTT!!!
JokeInsideJoke
dance the way you want to dance! dont let a guy change how you want to act
miyashu
Lets see, just watch a couple videos on Hiphop dancing and watching your self in the mirror.

This is kinda what I do, although I don't use the exact moves that I see in the videos. I let my body move to the rhythm and try not to think about it too much.

So to reiterate what other people have said, find a song on the radio/cd/whatever and start dancing to get the feel of the beat. Also, watch yourself in the mirror and see what looks good to you. Or just get together with some friends and practice :). Maybe they can offer you tips.
Tung
Why the heck is this topic bumped. The OP posted this two years ago, and she has far graduated from highschool.
miyashu
^ So, I just realized that.

Thanks to the freakin genius that bumped this topic! -_-
maaza
Hi sarahjung,

Dance can give you enough entertainment for almost half an hour or even for hours. And you don’t have to get other kinds of stimulation like headphones or a TV screen that will make you busy doing the same thing repetitive or boring movements over and over again. But you don’t have to be stuck in the same place just like sitting on a rowing machine or exercise bike that you can utilize to the entire room. Dancing can be learned in different ways.
AimeeLynn
Careful for what you wear. Don't wear a huge dress if you are planning to dance. It makes it really hard for you to grind or any type of dancing other than waltzing.
Look in youtube. There should be some lessons to dance there or ask a friend who can dance and ask for some small dance lessons. :) have fun.
keep-the-fire
Damn Sarahjung, she has already graduated from highschool.
Why bother posting in this topic?
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(keep-the-fire @ Jun 10 2009, 05:40 PM) *
Damn Sarahjung, she has already graduated from highschool.
Why bother posting in this topic?

seriously. it's 3 years old.
Blyat
I dont think im the best dancer either (im really awkward)

Just keep your confidence high and enjoy the bad dancing

Thats what i do and i had a fun time and all my friend had fun :)
carmensd88
just grind up on each other...its easy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.