Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ALL ABOUT CLASSIC NOVELS
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hangfire
Hallo, just want to talk about books, i havent found anyone to talk to about it lately..
The Name's Billy
i like shakespeare
i know im a nerd but shakespeare is great
much2muse
i quite like robert cormier. biggrin.gif
pnkstar
i liked the scarlet pimpernel and pride and prejudice (:
FreeStickers
QUOTE(The Name's Billy @ Feb 26 2006, 10:36 AM) *
i like shakespeare
i know im a nerd but shakespeare is great

I ADORE Shakespeare.
-Hamlet
-Othello
-Julius Caesar
-The Merry Wives of Windsor
-As You Like It
-The Sonnetts
Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice
Homer - The Illiad
George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four
Tennessee Williams - The Glass Menagerie
Dante - The Divine Comedy
Charles Dickins - A Christmas Carol
Bram Stoker - Dracula
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
Franz Kafka:
-The Metamorphosis
-The Trial
F. Scott Fitzgerald:
-The Great Gatsby
-This Side of Paradise
Classical Twist
Dude, Shakespeare is awesome. I just finished reading The Merchant of Venice and I'm halfway through Othello.
  • Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
  • Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • Emma by Jane Austen
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Those are some of my favorite classics, I have more but I can't recall them right now. Oh, and I don't know if they could be considered classics, but I love any book by Ayn Rand =D.
aubbob
shakespeare is good i must admit. most of my classmates hate all the books.
Statues/Shadows
I have to read A Tale of Two Cities next year for IB lit, which shall suck. I started it before, but it was dreadfully dull since Dickens got paid by the word. I'm not looking forward to that. I can make it though most books, but I never managed to finish Wuthering Heights, either. Unlike just about everyone else I know, I actually liked Jane Eyre, but then again, it could be because I was raised to, like Gone With the Wind, which was also good. I wouldn't really count Orwell as classic, but 1984 and Animal Farm were great, of course. (Some of his essays weren't bad either.) I do loathe Huck Finn and The Hobbit is ridiculously tedious. The Great Gatsby was great, no matter what the juniors who are reading it now say. The Jungle was a lot better than I expected. I should have taken the time to really read it. Damn my procrastination. Was it just me, or did The Scarlet Letter not have much of a plot? Vastly disappointing. I thought it was about the adultery, not the lack of anything that occured afterwards. Farenheit 451 was good. I need to finish Catch-22, but what I've read thus far was quite funny. What else have I read...?
FreeStickers
QUOTE(Statues/Shadows @ Feb 26 2006, 2:24 PM) *
I have to read A Tale of Two Cities next year for IB lit, which shall suck. I started it before, but it was dreadfully dull since Dickens got paid by the word.

rofl. laugh.gif Dickens actually has some ok stuff. And IB lit sucks -- I think only about 3/47283934 books we have to read are actually interesting.

People dislike The Great Gatsby? WTF?

I forgot about Catch-22.
Statues/Shadows
Yeah, Christmas Carol was alright...I think I liked it, but it was a while ago, so I don't really remember.

I was actually looking forward to IB lit, though. It seemed much more promising than language (although that was better than I expected, too).

I think the people who dislike The Great Gatsby are the sort who dislike reading in general, which is why they're only taking honors language arts. I actually enjoy it, so I took the junior class as a sophomore to do IB.
hangfire
I love Jane Eyre too, i like Charlotte most among the three Brontes. I like it because it's not superficial. I'm taking a break from reading right now bacause my sight is troubling me..I'd better stop using the computer too. You guys should read Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's the best. Maurice by E M Forster deals with homosexuality and gay guys were called OSCAR WILDE SORT back then. I love the book and I want to watch the movie.
akjsd
Statues/Shadows: Tale of Two Cities is a REALLY good book. its just slow in the beginning.
mipadi
1984, naturally. Probably one of the best novels ever written.
Rachel
QUOTE(lidoxangie @ Feb 26 2006, 8:06 PM) *
Statues/Shadows: Tale of Two Cities is a REALLY good book. its just slow in the beginning.

mellow.gif I disliked that book, a lot. It was not only boring in the beginning, but throughout the whole damn book!!

I love all things Shakespeare.
Statues/Shadows
Ah, well, I guess I have no choice but to give A Tale of Two Cities another chance pinch.gif

I really want to reread 1984 and Animal Farm.
d00kie
shakespeares comedies and tradgedies are more appealing than his romances and others but i must say i have finished all his works or most im sure there are some unpublished works of his that he had the mind of a genius of the arts something lke that comes with great inspiration and i admire him
technicolour
QUOTE(Classical Twist @ Feb 26 2006, 12:50 PM) *
Dude, Shakespeare is awesome. I just finished reading The Merchant of Venice and I'm halfway through Othello.
  • Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
  • Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • Emma by Jane Austen
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Those are some of my favorite classics, I have more but I can't recall them right now. Oh, and I don't know if they could be considered classics, but I love any book by Ayn Rand =D.

Good good books. You stole my list, lol. But those would have to be some personal top classical favorites.
xblueradiance
I'm reading Twelfth Night by Shakespeare and I've read As You Like It. Shakespeare is actually pretty neat to read. I like his writing.

I don't read many classics, but here are some I like:

-Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
-A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
-Edgar Allen Poe's poems

I want to read Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte, but I haven't gotten hold of it yet.
RiC3xBoy
Only thing I even remotely liked in The Tale of Two Cities is Syndey Carton, who I think is a kickass character.
angelrevelation
i'm reading pride and prejudice right now... it's pretty good.

moll flanders was really... pointless... stubborn.gif
FreeStickers
Oh yeah, I forgot about Poe. I like most of his stuff.
Statues/Shadows
Poe didn't write any novels.
FreeStickers
QUOTE(Statues/Shadows @ Mar 1 2006, 4:43 PM) *
Poe didn't write any novels.

Shakespeare didn't either, but a lot of people, including myself, mentioned him.
Teesa
Hmm..

To Kill A Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
The Things They Carried
Les Miserables
Crime and Punishment
Hamlet
East of Eden
silver-rain
Oh, I really like Shakespeare too. In fact, the english class I'm in right now is all about Shakespare's plays. We've finished reading Othello, are in the midst of King Lear.
ranniel
QUOTE(Teesa @ Mar 1 2006, 6:35 PM) *
Hmm..

To Kill A Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
The Things They Carried
Les Miserables
Crime and Punishment
Hamlet
East of Eden

I like some of those, I read To Kill A Mockingbird, and The Great Gatsby.
Statues/Shadows
I still can't figure out why everyone who read it this year hated The Great Gatsby. We liked it last year blink.gif
The irritating thing about To Kill a Mockingbird is that it was the first book I ever had to annotate, so I spent so much time trying to do that right that it completely ruined the book for me.
Blow_Don't_SUCK
Pride and Prejudice.
and

Emma...I forgot the author to that.
Statues/Shadows
Both of those were written by Jane Austen...
silver-rain
QUOTE(Statues/Shadows @ Mar 1 2006, 7:08 PM) *
I still can't figure out why everyone who read it this year hated The Great Gatsby. We liked it last year blink.gif

I actually liked The Great Gatsby. Maybe it was because I wasn't forced to read it for school and I read it because I wanted to (because I had chosen that book to do for a paper.)
Statues/Shadows
I'm reading Ethan Frome right now, but I'm only on page 12, so I can't fairly pass jusdgement yet. However, it really wasn't holding my interesting this morning. I nearly fell asleep reading it, but then again, could be because it was a morning class and I stupidly decided to lay down on the floor to be comfortable (because that;s bound to be sanitary in a school and all).
sunissed14127
eh, I'm not a very bigg classic novel fan. I liked Little Women & Robinson Crusoe, but that's about it.
Blow_Don't_SUCK
QUOTE(Statues/Shadows @ Mar 1 2006, 7:36 PM) *
Both of those were written by Jane Austen...

blink.gif . I thought only Pride and Prejudice was written by Jane Austen....oh well
Paradox of Life
One of my favorite books of all time is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'classic novels' and what time period you're reffering to, but if it counts, my number one favorite is White Fang by Jack London and Call of the Wild by Jack London was also really good.
Classical Twist
QUOTE(Paradox of Life @ Mar 2 2006, 8:43 PM) *
One of my favorite books of all time is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'classic novels' and what time period you're reffering to, but if it counts, my number one favorite is White Fang by Jack London and Call of the Wild by Jack London was also really good.

I love White Fang and Calll of the Wild, with the former being my favorite of the two. They were great books, I read them back in 6th grade, I should pick them up again.

I don't think this would be considered as "classic", but I love the Anne of Green Gables series =D.

I'm not a fan of Little Women, it didn't interest me and I ditched it halfway through.

Jane Austen has written:
Northanger Abbey
Sense and Sensibilty
Pride and Prejudice
Emma

and a couple of other books, but I can't remember their names. All of her books are pretty similar, but I love the ones that I've read so far.
technicolour
And "Persuasion"
Blow_Don't_SUCK
^Oh I have that on my book shelf but I haven't read it yet (I'm waiting to finish my book now)
Classical Twist
QUOTE(Kristinaa @ Mar 2 2006, 10:07 PM) *
And "Persuasion"

I can't believe I forgot Persuasion, I have that in my bookshelf as well.

I just went to the bookstore today and bought Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and 1984 by George Orwell to add to my collection =D.
Statues/Shadows
mmm, I read The Jungle this summer. Well, kind of. I procrastinated the entire summer away, so I had to skim through and take notes, but it took longer than I meant it too because I actually became interested at one point and tried to read it. Thus, the beginning is a bit slow, but it's pretty good.
RiC3xBoy
QUOTE(Teesa @ Mar 1 2006, 3:35 PM) *
Hmm..

To Kill A Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
The Things They Carried

Les Miserables
Crime and Punishment
Hamlet
East of Eden

Hey cool, I'm reading that right now. Pretty good book in my opinion.
FreeStickers
Albert Camus - The Stranger was pretty good.
mipadi
Camus is a really fascinating writer.
d00kie
once again i noe im a complete dork but Cyrano DeBergerac is good too i noe it sounds retarded but it has great poetry in it Amazing. I read it in French and English but i have to say the French version is better. A Play in a Play with Cyrano a patron of the arts its great.

and To Kill A Mockingbird. Amazing. TRuely Amazing. I Read it in 3rd grade and did not really get the essence but i reread it in 5thgrade it was great amazing quite Brilliant.
FreeStickers
QUOTE(mipadi @ Mar 6 2006, 4:42 PM) *
Camus is a really fascinating writer.

He reminds me of Kafka.
Herizon Action
Anything Chuck Palahniuk. Grabbed my attention.
Yeah, Pride&Prejudice was fun, also.
Teesa
The Stranger was pretty good, too. Call of the Wild is another one of my favorites, but I have to reread that one, since we read it in the sixth grade or something.
Mm, our class just finished Beloved. What a strange book.
Krateguy09
George Orwell and Anthony Burgess. Needless to say I'm a utopian book whore. My three favorites of all time are 1984, Animal Farm, and a Clockwork Orange.

EDIT: Oh yeah anything by Isaac Asimov is pretty good too.
Rachel
QUOTE(Teesa @ Mar 1 2006, 4:35 PM) *
Hmm..

To Kill A Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
The Things They Carried
Les Miserables
Hamlet

Well I love all of these books/plays minus The Things They Carried.

Now, I thought it was an interesting book, but I just didn't really like it. I wasn't a fan of the writing style and I just wasn't meshing well with it.
Statues/Shadows
I read Ethan Frome on Sunday, and I'm not quite sure whether I liked it or not. An odd thing to say, I know, but it's just sort of bleh, yet has some really interesting aspects.
d00kie
i noe u may call me crazy but personally i think Dr.Suess is a classic sure not novels but his books were amazing the Shakespeare for children
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.