Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DVD Commentary
Forums > Community Center > Movies & TV
Paul M. is baaack
When you buy a DVD set (or single DVD) with DVD commentary available, do you listen to it?

I do, I really enjoy it. I've came to some conclusions on a few of the shows (hmmmm...maybe it's weird, but ah well)

The Simpsons: The crew seem to know and like each other.

Family Guy: They have a more "average man" feel, you know, they like each other, but can get pissed off at each other. More what you're like with your family.

Futurama: The crew hardly seem to know each other. It was obvious when Dan Castalenetta (sp?) came in for the final episode to do some DVD commentary, as they tended not to talk as much and when it was over, Matt Groening was the only one who sounded even remotley disappointed.
Saeglopur
I happen to only watch DVD commentary when it's one of my favorite movies.

For A Walk To Remember, I really liked the DVD commentary. I mean, it just brought you closer to the actors & director themselves.

Yeah. =) It's gets you deeper into the DVD more than if you watched it on the movie theater or on TV.
NoSex
I want to work in film when I grow up. So, I tend to listen to commentary. I have listened to alot of commentary on alot of my movies. I need to get cracking though, I have about 100 DVDs I still need to listen to. Heh heh.
tweeak
I have to have a reason to. I don't own many DVDs, but even of the ones I do own, I'll usually only listen after watching many times and am particularly obsessed. Hence, I listened on Mean Girls and SNL "best of" DVDs, because I really am far too enthused with them.
mzbbc
i listen to commentary but only if it's the actors talking. _smile.gif
NoSex
QUOTE(mzbbc @ Jan 4 2006, 6:02 PM)
i listen to commentary  but only if it's the actors talking. _smile.gif

I prefer just the director. I absolutely love a director that can talk coherently, articulately, and confidently about his movie for the entirety of the flick.

Let's just say it this way: Richard Kelly's commentary for the original DVD release of Donnie Darko was embarrassing, even with Jake helping him. He did much better on the director's cut. But, he did have Kevin Smith helping him along that time.
mzbbc
^ haha yes it's true the director always knows what he's talking about. but i prefer to hear the actors because it's more entertaining to me i guess..
Zatanna
I love commentaries! I am absolutely addicted to them. I sat through Return of the King 3 times in a row so that I could hear the actors' and the directors! (1 view was to watch the movie sans commentary).
KissMe2408
QUOTE(Days Nearly Over @ Jan 4 2006, 3:11 PM)
I happen to only watch DVD commentary when it's one of my favorite movies.

For A Walk To Remember, I really liked the DVD commentary. I mean, it just brought you closer to the actors & director themselves.

^dude i loved that commentary, it was one of the first ones i ever listened to. lol It's really funny actually, they all had great relationships with each other.

I love commentaries and all that behind the scenes stuff, I can watch featurettes for hours. half of my movies have commentaries and i've watched a lot of them. it's fun, i'll do it in my spare time. which lately isn't alot.
The_AZN_Godfather
Commentaries are pretty interesting.

I like the actor commentaries just for fun.
Director commentaries if I feel like learning something.
vash1530
i used to but ive been busy as of late so i havn't had time to whatch movies over in commentary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.