Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapped Lips
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
lKVNiiKINKYl
Resource : http://www.uspharmacist.com

Treatment of Chapped Lips (Cheilitis)

Reasons:
Lips become chapped for a multitude of reasons. Wind and cold weather are two of the most common. Obstructed breathing (as in allergic rhinitis) can force patients to mouth-breathe, which also predisposes to chapped lips.* Chapped lips may be due to allergic or irritant dermatitis from the use of topical lip products, mouthwashes, or toothpastes. Isotretinoin, a drug used to treat acne, causes mucocutaneous reactions such as cheilitis (severe chapped lips).

*I actually went to the doctor about this and he said that during the winter because there isn't any moisture in the air because of electric heaters, when you lay down all the snot and all that pretty stuff clogs your nose and you start breathing through your mouth so in the morning its all cracky.

Chapped lips are painful and unsightly. If they crack open, the patient can experience pain when performing normal daily activities, including eating, drinking, talking, smiling, or kissing. Furthermore, some patients with chapped lips compulsively and obsessively lick them in vain attempts to relieve the discomfort. However, this activity delivers irritant salivary and intraoral fluids to the lips, worsening the problem.

Treatment Options:
Potential treatments for chapped lips include protectants, hydrocortisone, and products of unknown safety and efficacy, such as those containing salicylic acid. Protectants temporarily relieve chapped or cracked lips and help defend lips from the drying effects of wind and cold weather. The FDA allows protectant labeling on products that contain allantoin 0.5% to 2%, cocoa butter 50% to 100%, cod liver oil 5% to 13.56%, dimethicone 1% to 30%, glycerin 20% to 45%, hard fat 50% to 100%, lanolin 12.5% to 50%, mineral oil 50% to 100%, and petrolatum 30% to 100%.1 Two or more protectants may be combined.

Hydrocortisone 0.25% to 1% is approved by the FDA for topical application in the treatment of minor skin irritations, itching, and rashes due to various causes, e.g., eczema, dermatitis, or allergies to cosmetics, soaps, or detergents.7 Thus, it should be efficacious for many common causes of chapped lips (allergic and irritant dermatoses, repeated licking, and climate-related conditions).

Recommendations :
The best advice the pharmacist can give to patients with chapped lips is to:
1. Keep the tongue inside the mouth, and stop licking the lips.
2. Examine all products used on the lips to see if they might contain allergenic ingredients.
3. Stop the use of any lip product containing potentially erosive ingredients, such as salicylic acid or possible allergens/irritants that do not function as protectants.
4. Consider using a gentle lip balm containing FDA-approved protectants. To care for minor dermatoses, use a balm with hydrocortisone in a vehicle consisting only of protectants.

PS: Dr Dan's Lip Balm is actually pretty good. I have like the worst lips and I hope this isn't considered advertising...if it is I'll just take this part out
http://www.drdanslipbalm.com/

-EDIT-
QUOTE(lolita kitty @ Nov 22 2005, 5:54 PM)
THE SECRET TO ALL CHAPPED LIPS: CARMEX.

worthy.gif
Carmex is the best

QUOTE(xMyStIcShAd0wSx @ Jan 10 2007, 9:54 AM) *
right before bed... exfoliate with a toothbrush and then put vaseline... or blitex daily conditioning treatment sort of thickly on...

don't use like fruity lip balms or chapstick... they are not moisturing enough. you will still end up with dry yucky lips

even if you breathe through your mouth at night in the morning your lips are still fab... usually there is still a bit of lip balm on my lips when i wake up.
Looow
Ohh good job.

I'll add this to the resource pinned topic.

_smile.gif
vash1530
thank you... new englad weather sux this was very informative.
Eryi
I hate when my lips turn chapped. I just bought a chap stick.
I REALLY hate cold sores. _dry.gif
Bobblehead425
thank you sooo much! ive had chapped lips since like august... _dry.gif
coconutter
Use chapstick :)
HelplessCry
lol nice one kevin...thanks for the info :D
lolita kitty
no i'm serious, i use it all the time. i have the worst lips ever. and thanks for the topic, very helpful ^_^
WHOngos144
use chapsticks and drink water.
misoshiru
QUOTE(lolita kitty @ Nov 23 2005, 5:54 AM)
no i'm serious, i use it all the time. i have the worst lips ever. and thanks for the topic, very helpful ^_^

hehe i like kiehls and this japanese brand.

but drink lots and lots and lots of water.
lilphoenix
Alright..

Where's Napolean Dynamite now? laugh.gif
steezahh
QUOTE(Szeh @ Nov 21 2005, 7:11 PM)
I hate when my lips turn chapped. I just bought a chap stick.
I REALLY hate cold sores.  _dry.gif

me too :]
emazing
w00tw00t, thanks for typing out that whole paragraph-mabobber.
mellow.gif Chapped lips are frustrating; I get them every year. [This year was exceptional, 'cause I got it twice].. xD
synthase
wow, thats a m a Z i n g <33
Ive had chapped lips since like FOREVER, and my mom keeps nagging me about it, im pretty sure this might work!
PrincessAda
Ohh wow.Thanks.
stephinika
Moved to Health
SarahxJoy
I hate it during the winter time, 'cause sometimes lips get all dry, cracked, and irritated around the lips and it can get reddish. Urgh.
marzipan
QUOTE(Lo Mein @ Nov 19 2005, 10:03 PM) *
worthy.gif
Carmex is the best

i'm gonna have to try that stuff.
This Confession
how lovely.
Ox_Su`Zie
Hmm i simply used to use vaseline or w.e i found at hand...
sw33t_rouge
carmex makes me smell like play doh >:
iheartjohn
It's best to "exfoliate" your lips by rubbing them with a warm, wet washcloth or a baby's toothbrush (to get the skin off) and using a Q-tip to rub a little Vaseline on them. That was I do and my lips are fabulous. shifty.gif
jenn_jenny
helpful tipss. ty :D
KvnMtthwSlvng
It's good to scrub your lips with a tooth brush. I have bought a regular tooth brush just for scrubbing my lips. Especially important in the winter. All you have to do is apply vaseline to your lips and then take the wet tooth brush and gently scrub the skin off. Carmex is always nice and its cheap. yep.
ldyxluvable
yup carmex is the best i just hate it when i taste the flavor its eww
multifaceted
right before bed... exfoliate with a toothbrush and then put vaseline... or blitex daily conditioning treatment sort of thickly on...

don't use like fruity lip balms or chapstick... they are not moisturing enough. you will still end up with dry yucky lips

even if you breathe through your mouth at night in the morning your lips are still fab... usually there is still a bit of lip balm on my lips when i wake up.
lKVNiiKINKYl
QUOTE(xMyStIcShAd0wSx @ Jan 10 2007, 9:54 AM) *

^ Yeah you're supposed to do that like once a week, but any more than that is bad I think because your skin doesn't grow back fast enough. I'll edit it and put it up with it.
misanthropist
It's retarded to live by Carmex. There's a certain ingredient inside that is actually bad for you. Plus, it smells terrible.

Try Blistex. It's particularly designed to treat chapped lips.
synthase
for some reason, i dont like the feel of chapstick on my lips
oh no.
i lick my lips..
ALOT _unsure.gif
Sephora.
Carmex is good for chapped lips. I think that it smells good. Haha! I use it only when I have chapped lips, though.
multifaceted
licking you lips is the worst thing you can do. it just dries it and cracks it even faster.

the routine i stated before can be done daily. the skin on the lips is thin so the skin does grow back the next day.

if you are on a date or special night out, scrub the lips with the toothbrush and if you have any lip plumping thing (gloss, liquid claer gloss) put it on, and then add your color and whatever other things. it is important to add the lip plumping thing first because it will react better with it closer to the lip, instead of passing thru the chapstick.

if you just need lipstick, then put on vaseline or chapstick first. after you do the routine, you don't want to have the color stain your lips unintentionally. so you put a barrier between them.
mishyerr
MEDICATED CHAPSTICK ACTUALLY DRIES YOUR LIPS UP INTO PRUNES! Don't use it unless you've got, like, some weird things on your lips.
lightsabersavvy
if you mix olive oil and sugar together and use as an exfoliator on your lips its terriffic. :]
gita
two words:
BURTS BEES.
multifaceted
^ If your lips are peeling and it hurts, Burt's Bees makes it worse. (no rhyme intended) The peppermint stings instead of feeling tingly.
mishyerr
Burt's Bees Beeswax stuff never worked for me; their honey chapstick was better (although the smell was funky)

If you've got $ to spend, the Benefit buffing and moisturizing set works amaaaaaazing. It comes one tube of exfoliating stuff and one tube of silky lip balm for your lips :D it's about 30$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.