Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unexpected weight loss
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
JustAnotherTeenageLoser
Okay, well uh, a little over a month ago I became a vegetarian. The other day my grandmother commented that my stomach was getting flatter, and at first I was just like, 'Oh cool.' (because my stomach had been irking me for the past couple weeks) And then today I noticed that my jeans were a little baggy on me. These same jeans were nice & tight a couple months ago. So now I'm starting to get a little worried, because I'm skinny enough as it is. _unsure.gif I think this is happening because I became a vegetarian, from the change in diet. I'm still kinda new to the whole vegetarian thing. Are there some certain types of food I should be eating to maintain my weight? What can I do to stop this? Please help sad.gif ermm.gif
nyctophiliac
maybe get some vitamins or something to make up for the stuff that you're not getting since you became a vegetarian...
JustAnotherTeenageLoser
rolleyes.gif Well, I've already figured out it's because I've compleatly stopped eating meat, and I knew it might happen..not this much though. I kinda cut the meat off gradually too, because I heard it's better to do that. And I'm already taking vitamins, started doing that as soon as I went veggie. I'm also eating the stuff you're supposed to eat to make up for the lost proteins & such in the meat. I just need some tips on being a vegetarian, & how to stop the weight loss- I really don't need to be any skinnier. I don't want to end up looking anorexic.. ermm.gif
tweeak
Don't complain. Do somethng about it. Anyway, you're lucky. I want to lose weight. Why would getting a flatter stomach be a problem? Most people strive for that. Unless it's getting to the point of being seriously underweigh, don't worry, it'll adjust. Otherwise, suck it up and adjust your diet. I don't know. Your body could be changing anyway. My stomach has been getting flatter for no apparent reason, but that's a good thing.

Oh, I don't know. I ramble.
Programmer
^this is a true fact "don't complain about wieght loss... i didn't get the body i have from sitting on a computer or in front of the tv all day. i get up get out get active ... about 10 miles each time...i run twice a day... you won't see results the first day it is a long term commitment..people like you make me jealous because i have to sustain my looks by doing my workouts to stay this way while you do nothing but change your eating habbits... stubborn.gif pinch.gif
mipadi
QUOTE(Programmer @ Sep 26 2005, 5:38 PM)
^this is a true fact "don't complain about wieght loss... i didn't get the body i have from sitting on a computer or in front of the tv all day. i get up get out get active ... about 10 miles each time...i run twice a day... you won't see results the first day it is a long term commitment..people like you make me jealous because i have to sustain my looks  by doing my workouts to stay this way while you do nothing but change your eating habbits... stubborn.gif  pinch.gif

Anyone can lose weight by cutting calories, but it's better to keep weight off through exercise; thin != healthy or healthy-looking.
AngelicEyz00
If you're telling this girl to stop complaining about losing weight then you should tell the fat asses to stop complainig about gaining it.
PreludeTears
Oh oh missy. its good how your losing weight but dont go and lose all your body fat where you look like those emo boys. Curvy body is in (and that does not mean fatash curves but the kind you get from workouts and healthy eating. pinch.gif
Spirited Away
Since meat is protein, why don't you add protein shakes or soy milk into your diet? That would replace the most of the protein you would have had if you were eating meat.
gelionie
You should eat vegetables that contain protein (e.g. beans) in order to have a balanced diet.
JustAnotherTeenageLoser
To the people that have been saying that I shouldn't complain about losing weight-- Yeah, actually I should. stubborn.gif Before this started, I wasn't at all fat. In fact, I was a smidge underweight. So if I've been losing a good bit of weight, which has also been zapping my energy quite a bit, all in a mere month- how can you blame me for freaking out?! I mean, a shirt that had once been a little too tight on me is kinda baggy now!
I understand that many of you have to work hard to keep your body in good shape, but don't take it out on those of us who are naturally thin. It's not like it's our fault, and losing a lot of weight for us is extremly unhealthy. sad.gif mad.gif Oh, and as for the "Don't complain. Do something about it." - WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK I'M ASKING YOU GUYS?! I'm not just 'complaining' about it, I'm trying to get help. I can't do something about it if I don't know what to do! That's why I'm asking for tips & such.

And as for the last few people that have posted--
That's exactly what I needed! Thanks so much for your help! throb.gif
nyctophiliac
QUOTE(AngelicEyz00 @ Sep 26 2005, 5:02 PM)
If you're telling this girl to stop complaining about losing weight then you should tell the fat asses to stop complainig about gaining it.

lol <3<3<3 I love you Elba.
Hiphop d[-_-]b
When you cut out meats you cut out vital nutrients and proteins and things such as that. You could either take multi - vitamins or eat certain foods to help you maintain all the vitamins you need.

Im a vegetarian. I made a topic about it and put it in food.

Vegetarian Information Topic By Hiphop d[-_-]b
tequila_sky
I read that some vegetarians got health problems (but cant confirm 100%) Maybe u should start eating a little bit of fish? Do you eat enough protein? Nuts and soy are great substitutes. I'd say visit a doctor if u are worried. Just get a general check up. Blood tests, etc...
toodlepops.
Maybe your body is still adjusting to your new diet. I think it'll get better as you feel more comfortable with your diet.
Gypsy Eyes
I'm a vegetarian so i know it's scary to lose that much weight when you first start. It's not necessarily that your body is adjusting, it's the mere fact that meat is very high in calories so when you all of a sudden take it out your body just lost a HUGE part of it's daily calorie intake. try eating soy burgers or veggie burgers. I highly reccomend boca burgers and morningstar farms.

I also advise going to a doctor to get some blood tests done because it's very easy to develop anemia when you are a vegetarian.

People don't b*tch about her complaining about losing weight. First of all, she isn't complaining. She is asking for help. It's really scary to drop that much weight in a short period of time.
mai_z
This is a huge change in your diet, so be careful. Have you talked to a doctor or dietitian about becoming a vegetarian? Just make sure you're aware of what you're not eating when you cut out meat so you can adjust accordingly with vegetarian foods.
KissMe2408
Hey!
Well of course you are losing weight! You became a vegetarian! Health wise it's much better for you not to eat meats. But dont' freak out!
Also, you probably aren't getting alot of protein! and you NEED protein. You should eat eggs as much as you can, (i assume ur not vegan)...and i see that your a gymnast! so you def want to eat one of those protein bars you get at the store, or check the back of a power or sports bar for how much protein is in there. Because you need the protein for muscle and all of that. So just be sure you have enough of that, and you probably won't be losing any more weight. ah, but if it is too drastic then see your doctor :)
xcaitlinx
QUOTE(tweeak @ Sep 26 2005, 4:35 PM)
Don't complain. Do somethng about it. Anyway, you're lucky. I want to lose weight. Why would getting a flatter stomach be a problem? Most people strive for that. Unless it's getting to the point of being seriously underweigh, don't worry, it'll adjust. Otherwise, suck it up and adjust your diet. I don't know. Your body could be changing anyway. My stomach has been getting flatter for no apparent reason, but that's a good thing.

Oh, I don't know. I ramble.

actually, she shouldn't just be "happy" about losing weight because it could be caused from an imbalance of vitamins and minerals. since meats and other non-vegitarian foods are complete proteins, people that aren't vegetarians receive the daily amount of vitamins from those foods. however, being a vegetarian makes it harder because you have to combine incomplete proteins (fruits, vegetables, grains, etc.) to receive the vitamins you need. i suggest you see a nutritionist or do more research on what your diet should be because you can be putting yourself in danger if you don't eat right.
OverratedStupidity
Losing weight is not altogether a bad thing. If it continues and you get too skinny for your height, then see a doctor.

But if you want to fix it, just make sure you replace the meat you would be eating with other foods. Keep your calorie intake around 2000-2500.
eccentricity__
Same thing happened to me over the summer.

Doctor says it's cuz I changed my diet completely, so my body had to adjust and therefore was losing weight while adjusting.

You'll stop losing it eventually. But if it gets really bad, you might have to eat SOME meat.

I had to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.