2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comic Books Are Literature Too., Graphic Novels and Super Heroes.
superstitious
post Jun 1 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #26

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

I f*cking LOVE Dini.

Diana, have you seen Gotham Girls?

mipadi
post Jul 3 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #27

Member No: 639,265

Unrelated to comic books as literature, but last summer (August) I saw a cool exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that showcased the influence of comic book artwork on the fashion world.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera that day. But I don't think I could take pictures anyway.

superstitious
post Jul 8 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #28

Tick tock, Bill

I was intrigued, so I researched:
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/superheroes/

I LOVE THIS. Comics can be dismissed as trivial and elementary and I've got to say, I've had the opposite experience more often than not. It seems as though the only time comics are "cool", is when a mega budget Hollywood movie is created based upon a comic or graphic novel. I mean seriously, can you honestly say that all the fan chicks out there lusting after Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark would have known who Tony Stark was before the movie Iron Man was released? There might be a few (and I proudly count myself among them), but more so, I'd have to say not.

This transcends comic book art into fashion art, and I'm impressed. The typical Superman themed shirt (which I'm guilty of owning) or Wonder Woman coffee mug (which I'm also guilty of owning) is neat, but I love seeing something more elaborate and original.

superstitious
post Jul 23 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #29

Tick tock, Bill

The google header is awesome today for DC comics fans. :D

hypnotique
post Sep 5 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #30

Live long and prosper.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 478,024

Bump.

Because Gotham City Sirens is amazing.

xquizit
post Sep 10 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #31

wanderlust personified.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 797

I love everything by Adriane Tomine.

I've also read Black Hole, Watchmen, Torso among others... love them.

batman
post May 11 2010, 01:16 AM
Post #32

Member No: 696,018

does anybody read fables? i just bought and finished the first volume, legends in exile, and i'm in love. i'm downloading the rest but i'll definitely be buying all the volumes eventually.

Joanne
post May 11 2010, 02:03 AM
Post #33

Member No: 95,404

QUOTE(batman @ May 10 2010, 11:16 PM) *
does anybody read fables? i just bought and finished the first volume, legends in exile, and i'm in love. i'm downloading the rest but i'll definitely be buying all the volumes eventually.

Fables sounds so interesting! I love reading different takes on traditional fairy tale characters... but I don't think I will be reading it anytime soon, as I want to get the most out of my current Batman phase first. tongue.gif

Speaking of Batman, what are your favourite graphic novels involving him? So far I've read Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, and The Dark Knight Returns. And I will be reading Kingdom Come for my English class this coming semester.

I was very close in buying Hush by Jeph Loeb, but it ended up being more expensive than I had anticipated, haha (will definitely be asking for it for my birthday hehe). The concept of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth really interests me, but I'm not sure if I would be able to appreciate the extremely different type of art. =\

So yeah... suggestions would be nice. _smile.gif

batman
post May 13 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #34

i actually haven't read any batman graphic novels, sadly. i keep planning to, though. i've never been a fan of comics until i started Fables. it's the first series I really, really got into, so I think after this, I'm going to start branching out.

BTW READ FABLES IT IS AMAZING AND IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY. READ BEFORE I END UP POSTING ALL THE SPOILERS ON TUMBLR BECAUSE I CANT HELP MYSELF.

superstitious
post May 13 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #35

Tick tock, Bill

Fables <3

(Will elaborate later)

batman
post May 14 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #36

http://f*ckyeahfables.tumblr.com

i had to.

any fable fans on cb want to be a member and post? (cough rebs cough)

batman
post May 20 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #37

alright, starting preacher. i have high expectations after all the preacher hype in this thread.

superstitious
post May 28 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #38

Tick tock, Bill

QUOTE(batman @ May 14 2010, 03:32 PM) *
http://f*ckyeahfables.tumblr.com

i had to.

any fable fans on cb want to be a member and post? (cough rebs cough)

I'm an graphic novel thread abandoner! I'm issuing you an "I OWE YOU" Fable thoughts narrative *makes note*

QUOTE(batman @ May 20 2010, 09:40 AM) *
alright, starting preacher. i have high expectations after all the preacher hype in this thread.

I hope you like it, as most people either love it, hate it, or just don't know what to make of it. Ennis has always been a pretty graphic writer so I can understand a gaping response to his narrative imagery. I always tell people though - Preacher is a Vertigo print, and Vertigo is the naughty little stepchild of DC Comics.

Joanne
post May 30 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #39

This probably means nothing to you guys who go to Comicon all the time, but I went to my first one in Vancouver today. It kinda sucked because it was in a pretty small room, but I MET DAVID LLOYD!!!!!!!! So freaking cool. It was kind of awkward though because I couldn't think of anything to say to him while he was signing my copy of V for Vendetta.

Oh and James Lloyd was there too. My friend got him to sign his copy of Futurama/Simpsons Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis.

Kathleen
post Jun 10 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #40

feed me your vices

Member No: 2,800

QUOTE(xquizit @ Mar 6 2008, 11:24 AM) *
I just finished Black Hole and Shortcomings (Adrian Tomine). Does anyone have any recommendations for "indie" style graphic novels... similar to Alex Robinson, Adrian Tomine, Daniel Clowes work?

Not familiar with those artists, but I highly recommend Koren Shadmi's In the Flesh or anything from Jason.

Late to jump into the Preacher love, but count me in that! Not to be a pest, but I thought that Vertigo was owned by DC? They simply pushed "mature" comics under that label, right?

I can't believe that Y: The Last Man has yet to be mentioned...

I feel like an awful BTVS fan, but I still need to catch up on season eight. I think that I stopped reading (granted, the comics are collecting dust) around the time Twilight's identity was revealed.

I'm also very hooked on Chew at the moment. Rob Guillory's art is out of this world!

Joanne
post Jun 10 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #41

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Jun 9 2010, 10:54 PM) *
can't believe that Y: The Last Man has yet to be mentioned...

I've read the first edition! I've got to say I found it pretty awesome. Currently waiting for my cousin to lend me the second one...

I READ BATMAN: HUSH. Holy crap. So freaking good.

Kathleen
post Jun 10 2010, 01:00 AM
Post #42

feed me your vices

Member No: 2,800

QUOTE(Joanne @ Jun 9 2010, 10:58 PM) *
I've read the first edition! I've got to say I found it pretty awesome. Currently waiting for my cousin to lend me the second one...

I READ BATMAN: HUSH. Holy crap. So freaking good.

While the chances of me having a kid are extremely rare, I'd have to say that I'm fairly intent on naming my child Yorick haha.

Eeeek, the only Batman comic I've read was The Killing Joke, and that was because Alan Moore penned it. _unsure.gif

Joanne
post Jun 10 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #43

I absolutely LOVED The Killing Joke. I found Alan Moore's take on Joker's origin fascinating... it actually made me feel kind of bad for him. And damn, the art is sexy.

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: