Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Obama--what do you think?
mipadi
post Dec 20 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #26

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Dec 20 2010, 09:03 AM) *
They only do what he tells them to... War in Afghanistan *cough cough* :X

Obama doesn't (directly) control the Defense Department's budget.

Uronacid
post Dec 20 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #27

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

QUOTE(mipadi @ Dec 20 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Obama doesn't (directly) control the Defense Department's budget.

Obama is the Commander and Chief. He's also a big spender.

You know, a lot of good has come from our defense department. The money we invest in weapons technology does quite a bit of good for all of us. Just like NASA.

mipadi
post Dec 20 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Dec 20 2010, 01:49 PM) *
Obama is the Commander and Chief. He's also a big spender.

What's your point? Command-in-Chief doesn't set the budget; Congress does. The President has veto power over budget bills, but they are subject to being challenged (as with any bill). And no Congressman (with the exception of, perhaps, Ron Paul and Kucinich) wants to touch defense spending. The President also lacks line-item veto power (that was found to be unconstitutional), so he can't control individual budget elements.

Plus, it wasn't Obama who got us into Iraq and Afghanistan. It was Bush (and a Republican-controlled Congress). Given the extreme cost of the two wars, I'd argue that Bush and Republicans are even bigger spenders. And let's not forget that Clinton's administration actually turned a budget surplus. Here's an illustration of the unrestrained spending of the government:

You can't criticize Obama's spending with a straight face unless you're willing to criticize the Defense Department's oversized budget.

sixfive
post Dec 20 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #29

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

Pisses me off.

Uronacid
post Dec 20 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(mipadi @ Dec 20 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Blah blah blah... I'm a big dem. Bush sucks.

I don't give a shit about Bush. He wasn't a conservative at all. My point is, Obama is a big spender. I don't like that.

Roflcopter goml.
http://blog.heritage.org/2009/03/24/bush-d...it-in-pictures/

mipadi
post Dec 20 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Dec 20 2010, 03:17 PM) *
I don't give a shit about Bush. He wasn't a conservative at all. My point is, Obama is a big spender. I don't like that.

And my point is that the Defense Dept. is a huge money drain, but no one in Congress wants to deal with that issue. If you want to criticize "big spending", start there.

(Also, Obama was dealing with a much different economic situation. Bush enjoyed a buoyant economy, and still managed to run up a huge deficit. Part of the deficit of '09 was due to the banking bailout which was initiated by the Bush administration. Much of the rest was due to the economic stimulus package.

I don't know... I don't agree with unrestrained spending, and think that the government should live within its means. I didn't support the bank bailout. I'm not sure whether the economic stimulus package was entirely the "right" solution to the economic problem. I'm not an economist, so I can't really say what would work best. I support a balanced budget, but I also agree that sometimes, you have to spend some money to make some money. However, I do know that I'd rather see my money spent on public projects, than on fueling the military-industrial complex.

Also, Bush was most certainly a conservative; saying he wasn't is just a cop-out. It's excusing right-wing America for the failings and abuses of the Bush administration. I know what you're trying to say; there's a strong movement among Tea Partiers, etc., to disassociate themselves from the Bush presidency since he was such a shitty leader, and move to the "conservatism is about fiscal responsibility and libertarian rights", but you know what? It's about 6 years too late for conservatives to take a stand against Bush -- conservatives should've had the spine to stand up to him earlier, if they felt he was violating their principles. They did not, so now they have to live with his legacy.

I mean, okay -- maybe that's unfair. I disagree with much of what the Dems have done in the past decade or so, and don't want to be saddled with that legacy. (Then again, the Dems are hardly liberal, compared to liberal parties in other countries. But I digress.) But I've also often been critical of the idiocy of Democratic politicians, so I think it is fair to ask: if conservatives don't think of Bush as a conservative, then where was the right-wing criticism of his policies during his administration (instead of after the fact)?

And anyway, the Tea Party is bullshit, too: it's just a corporate-funded campaign to get lower taxes for large companies. But I digress.

Uronacid
post Dec 20 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(mipadi @ Dec 20 2010, 04:01 PM) *
And my point is that the Defense Dept. is a huge money drain, but no one in Congress wants to deal with that issue. If you want to criticize "big spending", start there.

(Also, Obama was dealing with a much different economic situation. Bush enjoyed a buoyant economy, and still managed to run up a huge deficit. Part of the deficit of '09 was due to the banking bailout which was initiated by the Bush administration. Much of the rest was due to the economic stimulus package.

I don't know... I don't agree with unrestrained spending, and think that the government should live within its means. I didn't support the bank bailout. I'm not sure whether the economic stimulus package was entirely the "right" solution to the economic problem. I'm not an economist, so I can't really say what would work best. I support a balanced budget, but I also agree that sometimes, you have to spend some money to make some money. However, I do know that I'd rather see my money spent on public projects, than on fueling the military-industrial complex.

Also, Bush was most certainly a conservative; saying he wasn't is just a cop-out. It's excusing right-wing America for the failings and abuses of the Bush administration. I know what you're trying to say; there's a strong movement among Tea Partiers, etc., to disassociate themselves from the Bush presidency since he was such a shitty leader, and move to the "conservatism is about fiscal responsibility and libertarian rights", but you know what? It's about 6 years too late for conservatives to take a stand against Bush -- conservatives should've had the spine to stand up to him earlier, if they felt he was violating their principles. They did not, so now they have to live with his legacy.

I mean, okay -- maybe that's unfair. I disagree with much of what the Dems have done in the past decade or so, and don't want to be saddled with that legacy. (Then again, the Dems are hardly liberal, compared to liberal parties in other countries. But I digress.) But I've also often been critical of the idiocy of Democratic politicians, so I think it is fair to ask: if conservatives don't think of Bush as a conservative, then where was the right-wing criticism of his policies during his administration (instead of after the fact)?

And anyway, the Tea Party is bullshit, too: it's just a corporate-funded campaign to get lower taxes for large companies. But I digress.

No-one wants to kill the excessive spending on our education system either. More money does not equal better averages in school. Another taboo subject, yet politicians get crucified when they talk about the budget.

Real conservatives did put their foot down with Bush. I couldn't stand bush's excessive spending, and I can't spend Obama's excessive spending. Neither of them put their foot down and said, "NO".

The Tea Party is bullshit now, but didn't start out as bullshit. Originally it was just a bunch of regular people and local radio stations that started a trend. The Tea Party turned into whore fest when big names like Glen Beck or Sarah Palin got involved and pushed it to new heights.

Again, I don't care about all that. It doesn't change the fact that Obama is a big spender.

iRapediCarly
post Dec 22 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #33

Member No: 745,302

you're right, less money = better averages in schools

mipadi
post Jan 6 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Dec 20 2010, 04:57 PM) *
Again, I don't care about all that. It doesn't change the fact that Obama is a big spender.

This doesn't directly apply to this opinion, but I thought it was still relevant: A study by the Congressional Budget Office showed that the Republicans' plan to repeal the recent health care changes will actually increase the budget deficit by $230 billion in the next ten years. [1]

iRapediCarly
post Jan 6 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #35

oh cmon, you can't just assume that just because of his negative stance on Obama's actions makes him a republican, can't we all just be libertarian

mipadi
post Jan 7 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(liquordick @ Jan 6 2011, 06:26 PM) *
oh cmon, you can't just assume that just because of his negative stance on Obama's actions makes him a republican, can't we all just be libertarian

No, but he has stated that's against the health care law and against excessive government spending. (I didn't say anything about his being a Republican, so it's funny you filled that in yourself.)

iRapediCarly
post Jan 7 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #37

thats a good point, i will have to wait for the answer then, until then i will suspend any comments

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: