Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chuck Palahniuk, Anyone else love him?
mahokaida
post Aug 19 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #1

For my shirt.

Group: Member
Member No: 454,674

My friend recently opened me up to the world of Chuck Palahniuk, and since then I've read Haunted, Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Survivor, Diary, and Stranger than Fiction. My favorite is by far Survivor, but I enjoy all of them. His writing style is so completely fresh and it satisfies my dark side. I always find the books totally unpredictable and you never really know what he's going to throw at you. Although I did find Haunted a bit on the boring side, I still loved the short stories that were just...shocking.

Anyone else have their opinions on Chuck Palahniuk? Good or bad, please share!

Siena Jade
post Aug 22 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #2

This is screaming photo op.

Member No: 381,587

My friend recommended Invisible Monsters and Survivor to me, which I'm currently reading. I haven't had much time to read them a lot yet, but I think I'll probably enjoy both :) Chuck Palahniuk seems like a really good writer.

mahokaida
post Aug 22 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #3

For my shirt.

QUOTE(Siena Jade @ Aug 22 2006, 11:34 AM) *
My friend recommended Invisible Monsters and Survivor to me, which I'm currently reading. I haven't had much time to read them a lot yet, but I think I'll probably enjoy both :) Chuck Palahniuk seems like a really good writer.

He is an excellent writer in my opinion, but you have to be the right person to appreciate it. He can be pretty raunchy at times, and sometimes his writing is...odd, to say the least. You just need to have an open mind when you read it. But yeah, Invisible Monsters and Survivor are my favorite Chuck Palahniuk books.

*Kathleen*
post Aug 23 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #4

To be honest, I've only read Fight Club, which I'm IN LOVE with. I adore his writing style. I have Choke, but I have a few books to read before I get to it. And uh does anyone know exactly how to pronounce his last name? laugh.gif I've always avoided pronouncing it, due to my fear of saying it incorrectly.

*mona lisa*
post Aug 23 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #5

I've heard that his books are great, particularly: Fight Club, Survivor, and Lullaby. I've barely started Fight Club but from what I've read so far, it's very intriguing. Hopefully, I can find the others.

Siena Jade
post Aug 25 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #6

This is screaming photo op.

Member No: 381,587

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Aug 23 2006, 3:33 PM) *
And uh does anyone know exactly how to pronounce his last name? laugh.gif I've always avoided pronouncing it, due to my fear of saying it incorrectly.

Well, his Wikipedia article says 'palənik' so...Pahlenik? Haha I'm not exactly sure either, in my mind I've always just said Pahlahneeuk, which is how it looks to me rolleyes.gif

I've started on Invisible Monsters...I've gone 'huh?' a couple of times but it's pretty interesting...I would love to see a movie adaption of this.

me1issaaaa
post Aug 25 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #7

Group: Official Member
Member No: 18,393

Invisible Monsters and Choke. Oh my godddddddddd, sheer amazingness.

dreamerOi
post Aug 26 2006, 04:00 AM
Post #8

aiko Nakamura at your service

Member No: 18,144

I have a couple of his books. Lullaby, Diary, Fight Club, Choke, Invisible Monsters, and some others I can't think up atm. But I haven't read Invisible Monsters yet. Definately have to get that started. Haha but I absolutely adore his writing. It is.. amazing.

mahokaida
post Aug 27 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #9

For my shirt.

To clear things up, this is from the website The Cult (www.chuckpalahniuk.net):
How do you pronounce Palahniuk?
PAUL-AH-NIK (Paula Nick). The story goes that Chuck's Grandparents decided to pronounce their name as a combination on their two first names, Paula and Nick. As Chuck relates it: "So many Palahniuk's drop letters from the name. We kept all the letter's but we probably say it the worst.". The 'Old World' pronunciation is PAH-la-NYOOK

You can view the whole FAQ on Chuck Palahniuk here.
QUOTE(Siena Jade @ Aug 25 2006, 4:15 PM) *
I've started on Invisible Monsters...I've gone 'huh?' a couple of times but it's pretty interesting...I would love to see a movie adaption of this.

There's some information on a movie adaptation of this on the Chuck Palahniuk website as well. I agree with you - a movie adaptation would be simply amazing, and I've got some excellent actresses in mind who would be perfect for it. There's also a graphic novel for it which you can also view at the Chuck Palahniuk website.

starlette
post Sep 5 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #10

RAWR.

Member No: 102,641

Okay so I've been getting into this guy and I'm really irritated because I want to read Invisible Monsters and I can't find it anywhere. Well anywhere meaning at a library. The one copy I've found it lost. But I really liked Lullaby. Choke was...weird. I wasn't crazy about the ending...but I like his writing style. Its some hardcoreness, but Its so humorous and dark and bizarre I can't help but not put them down. I'm slow so I find myself rereading things a lot. laugh.gif Right now I'm working on Diary and after that Fight Club is on my list. (I haven't seen the movie yet pinch.gif) I may just give in and buy Invisible monsters because I've heard from a lot of people that its really good happy.gif

xoxo_proud
post Sep 5 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #11

Member No: 387,078

I bought Choke a couple of days ago. He's a little risque but I love his writing style

starlette
post Sep 9 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #12

RAWR.

Member No: 102,641

So I just finished Diary..I must say its my favorite so far. I'll be starting fight club next week most likely :D

joiedevie
post Sep 20 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #13

Member No: 457,106

i've got all of his books except for two of his non-fiction ones. i haven't been able to get through invisible monsters (though this is supposedly the best) for some odd reason. and i'm 1/4 through haunted. but i stopped reading palahniuk to read harry potter.

anyways, he's coming out with a new book co-written with another person in february. yay. :)

they're supposedly making invisible monsters into a movie but i'm not too sure about that.

*Kathleen*
post Jan 4 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #14

Haunted is soooo good. throb.gif

ksoyeah
post Jan 5 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #15

MorCANcan

Member No: 492,937

I just got Haunted at the library.
I'll read it after I'm finished with 1984 and A Clockwork Orange, soyeah. <3

MiSSxMELON
post Mar 13 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #16

Member No: 9,257

The only book I've read by Palahniuk is Fight Club. I absolutely loved it and the movie (Edward Norton<3). My friend had another book of his which I read the first few pages, but it was too much like Fight Club. I suppose it's just his style, but it gets repetitive to me.

Amay
post Mar 15 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #17

eternity will never be enough for me.

Member No: 386,926

I have never read his books yet.
But I've heard that he's strongly influenced Ryan Ross from Panic! so that's where most of the lyrics come from.
Yeahh.
That's about all I know about him.

*Kathleen*
post Mar 16 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(MiSSxMELON @ Mar 13 2007, 10:15 AM) *
The only book I've read by Palahniuk is Fight Club. I absolutely loved it and the movie (Edward Norton<3). My friend had another book of his which I read the first few pages, but it was too much like Fight Club. I suppose it's just his style, but it gets repetitive to me.

But.. every author has his or her own style. Without it.. they wouldn't be.. special, no? mellow.gif

MiSSxMELON
post Mar 17 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #19

Member No: 9,257

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Mar 16 2007, 8:17 AM) *
But.. every author has his or her own style. Without it.. they wouldn't be.. special, no? mellow.gif

...right, that's why I said that maybe I mistook his style for the similarities between his novels. The story seemed to be a copy of Fight Club though it could have just been the way it was told.

Obviously every author has a style. I'm just saying Palahniuk's style makes all his stories seem the same.

*I Viddy Horrorshow*
post Mar 26 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #20

I really MUST read some Palahniuk...

gojira
post Mar 3 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #21

◕ ◡ ◕

Group: Official Member
Member No: 416,697

i lurv haunted

heartbreaker235
post Mar 29 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #22

Member No: 131,986

I love Chuck P. (lol) I've read diary and lullaby. I want to read survivor next. He is just an amazing author. I haven't read any other books that keep me as interested and shocked as his do. I'll pick up books all the time, read the summary, and say to myself "That's just not going to compete with Chuck's"

KissMe2408
post May 3 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #23

Yawn

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,772

What a great author. I finished reading "Invisible Monsters" not too long ago. Very entertaining and a fun read. I read his "Choke" as well, that was pretty good. Intersting viewpoints on life lol. I don't think those books are for all people, but i loved them.

asleep2046
post Jun 17 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #24

Member No: 733,285

i don't really like Chuck PalaNUCK. Sure he's interesting, but I just think of gay men with syphilis when I read his books.

*Janette*
post Jun 19 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(asleep2046 @ Jun 17 2009, 08:30 PM) *
i don't really like Chuck PalaNUCK. Sure he's interesting, but I just think of gay men with syphilis when I read his books.

huh.gif

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: