Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
chemo against your will?
PurpleDaze112
post May 15 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 649,565

I was checking my email just now on yahoo and a news story on the page said that a 13 year old boy was forced by the court to receive chemotherapy to treat his lymphoma. The boy and his parents agreed on trying alternative medicine to treat the illness due to religious purposes. Involuntary medical attentuon, if it has the realistic possibility of saving lives, is entirely legal if the patient is a minor.

Personally, I think that the practice should be disallowed if the minor in question is at a pyschological level that puts them in a place where professionals can be certain that the choice to forgo certain medical practices is the minor's own. But since that boy's lymphoma had a 90% chance of being wiped out by the chemo, I think he's a dumbass for not getting treatment. Still, it comes down to the fact that one can do whatever they want with their body, even if it means letting it die.

brooklyneast05
post May 15 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #2

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

QUOTE(PurpleDaze112 @ May 15 2009, 02:23 PM) *
Still, it comes down to the fact that one can do whatever they want with their body, even if it means letting it die.

yes, except for that's most likely not the case here. it would be hard to convince me, or anyone for that matter, that a 13 year old can decide something like this on his own. so we can't say that him not getting real treatment is his own decision and not what's imposed by the parents and their religious beliefs. even he "thinks" this is what he wants, i would doubt whether at 13 years old living with his parents and their beliefs his whole life really has that objective of a few on this.

as far as i'm concerned if your a parent and your encouraging your son to refuse REAL medical treatment when there is a 90% chance of it fixing it...you're a nutcase. it's irresponsible imo. i don't mind that the courts are forcing this. if someones kid has to suffer because the parents don't want real treatment for religious reasons, that's basically neglect to me. they're such idiots that they're going to kill off their own kid, sucky situation.

Doctors have said Daniel's cancer had up to a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation. Without those treatments, doctors said his chances of survival are 5 percent.

i don't think the kid is a dumbass, i think the parents are.

queen
post May 15 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #3

‹(. .)›

Group: Official Member
Member No: 20,089

i don't understand why this kid's getting this kind of attention. if he or his parents don't want him to be treated, why waste effort and capital on him. there are so many other people who are not getting the medical attention they need and deserve because they're getting screwed by their insurance companies or they just can't afford insurance. this sounds like the doctors just wanted a story for the media.

this is how messed up the u.s. health care system is. people who want treatement don't get it, and those who don't get forced to.

illriginal
post May 15 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Member No: 455,274

Screw chemo therapy that shit don't work. It's a facade... it's all a money makin scam.

Just like the pharmaceutical industry.

brooklyneast05
post May 15 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #5

I'm Jc

QUOTE(illriginal @ May 15 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Screw chemo therapy that shit don't work. It's a facade... it's all a money makin scam.

you don't think chemo has ever worked?

illriginal
post May 15 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #6

Son... you can eat certain food that'll help stop cancer. Chemo therapy, theoretically, works... Literally it's worked on like.. 2% of cancer patients.

none345678
post May 15 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #7

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

I have known three people who have gone through chemo and one person whos going through it now. 2 of the people survived, one died, and the other is showing improvement and has been for awhile.

gtfo.

brooklyneast05
post May 15 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #8

I'm Jc

can we have some sources on the 2% of cancer patients benefiting from chemo and which foods we can use to get rid of cancer?

karmakiller
post May 15 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #9

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

QUOTE(illriginal @ May 15 2009, 05:07 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

My mother's gone though chemo plenty of times. It's one of the reasons she's still alive.

illriginal
post May 15 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #10

Nah I'm just talkin shit. I personally find Chemo to do more tormenting damage but that's my opinion.

karmakiller
post May 15 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #11

rolleyes.gif

I think it depends on the type of chemotherapy that a person has, but (from the people that I know) radiation can leave more visible damage. It's been some time since my mother has had radiation therapy, but she was burned pretty bad and she still has problems. I can't really base anything about chemotherapy on what my mother has gone through because she's gone through chemo so much that she isn't a "typical" chemo patient.

PurpleDaze112
post May 18 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #12

Member No: 649,565

QUOTE(illriginal @ May 15 2009, 06:07 PM) *

some truth to that. seriously, almost everyone I know is connected to someone who has either died of cancer, had cancer and lived, or courrently has cancer. It's all part of the grand scheme: the government allows biologists to put unsafe shit in food so the medical industry can continue to pump out drugs. since when have so many people been getting cancer?

brooklyneast05
post May 18 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #13

I'm Jc

QUOTE(PurpleDaze112 @ May 18 2009, 02:06 PM) *
some truth to that. seriously, almost everyone I know is connected to someone who has either died of cancer, had cancer and lived, or courrently has cancer. It's all part of the grand scheme: the government allows biologists to put unsafe shit in food so the medical industry can continue to pump out drugs. since when have so many people been getting cancer?

- we can identify cancer now a lot better. it's a lot easier to diagnose something you know exists.
- people have longer life expectancy now and live way longer than they ever have before so there's more time for them to get cancer as well as more chance they will die from that rather than some other disease, because we have less people dying from infectious diseases than back in the day. long sentence. even though young people can get cancer, most don't. most people develop cancer later in life, the longer you live the greater your chance.

i'm sure there are a million more reasons other than this glaringly obvious one that you overlooked. to skip this reason though and jump to "biologists putting unsafe shit in food" as the reason we have more people diagnosed with cancer is stupid imo. you should provide a lot more information if you want to argue that's the reason.

illriginal
post May 18 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(PurpleDaze112 @ May 18 2009, 03:06 PM) *

Money makes the world go round cool.gif

Norton til this day gets blamed for computer viruses. I wouldn't be surprised if Norton had teams of software engineers who created and pushed the viruses that exist just so people could buy more Norton products.

-DressYourEyelid...
post May 19 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #15

Member No: 727,246

QUOTE(karmakiller @ May 15 2009, 06:16 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

My mother's gone though chemo plenty of times. It's one of the reasons she's still alive.

my mom went through tons of chemo too, and ultimately it is what killed her, not the cancer. i'm against chemo: it does more harm to the body than good. my mom was a walking ghost of who she used to be for years [9 to be exact].

and i've had radiation. i'd rather die than do it again.

so no, i don't think it's right to force anyone to have a treatment they don't want or are against. i certainly wouldn't want it.

illriginal
post May 27 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #16

BRB Depending on snake / ant / spider venom to own cancer cool.gif

Eff Chemo, that's for primitive fools.

karmakiller
post May 27 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(DressYourEyelids @ May 19 2009, 07:53 AM) *
my mom went through tons of chemo too, and ultimately it is what killed her, not the cancer. i'm against chemo: it does more harm to the body than good. my mom was a walking ghost of who she used to be for years [9 to be exact].

and i've had radiation. i'd rather die than do it again.

so no, i don't think it's right to force anyone to have a treatment they don't want or are against. i certainly wouldn't want it.

I guess it just depends on a persons experience with it. Sometimes people don't get doctors who know what to do. My mom's had cancer five times, and chemo is what has saved her life.

The same goes for her brain tumors. She has them shrunk every few years. Obviously, it isn't chemotherapy or radiation, but it's still a drug that injected right near her brain with a long needle. If she decided that she didn't want to have that done then that would probably take her life, and as anyone reading this reply can assume she definitely has the strongest will out of anyone I have ever met.

If this wasn't a young child but an elderly man and the chemo didn't have a high rate of working then my opinion about it might change.

illriginal
post May 28 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #18

If they forced me... I'd cut their f*ckin heads off and dance on their blood.

firechild
post Jun 5 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #19

BBM: 310ED181

Member No: 671,976

He has Hodgkins Lymphoma. He'd need one round at most and then be in permanent remission. Its extremely treatable.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: