Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should The "N" word be banned from the English language?
Rating 2 V
Tomates
post Nov 13 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #51

poison

Group: Official Member
Member No: 629,020

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 01:46 PM) *
If one of your quotes is here, it is because your comments are pointless simply because they have already been brought up before. If you didn't read, please read. And if you have read it then that shows a lack of reading comprehension skills on your behalf if you did claim to have read previous remarks but still made points that have already been addressed.

They have probably been brought up before then for a reason stating that this whole topic is just ridiculous. What is there to f*cking read? All the title says is "should the N word be banned" and you just added "people should think before they talk" We have simply just stated our opinion on this. Theres not much to your post to agree about at all. I mean what do you expect? did you expect that you would have people saying "yeah i agree! lets riot about it and get our word out!!!" Atleast post a reason or something, your topic and replies are so incredibly petty that it makes me want to hurt a small child.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 13 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #52

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

thing is, it's just pointless is what everyone is getting at. it doesn't change anything and it isn't going to make people stop saying it. you can't stop people from saying what they want to say, and i don't think anyone should try in the first place.

i wasn't raised in a household that embraced that word. i wasn't ever allowed to say any variation of it. i don't say it hardly ever, if ever. i don't call my friends that, ect. i personally think it is ridiculous...but i don't care if other people want to say it. that's their choice and i don't think they need to be censored. at the end of the day it can't be erased, or taken back, or stopped so i don't see any need in leading a crusade against a word that's not going to matter. there are way better things to fight for than the removal of a word from the dictionary.

i know people see is as some kind of symbolic gesture or something to remove it but it's not practical at all and doesn't make sense. i've been called a n****er numerous times and it would have the same effect on me whether or not it's considered a word or not...it'll still mean the same thing and people will still call me that regardless of if it's in the dictionary.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 13 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #53

Group: Member
Member No: 484,926

QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 13 2008, 01:51 PM) *
They have probably been brought up before then for a reason stating that this whole topic is just ridiculous. What is there to f*cking read? All the title says is "should the N word be banned" and you just added "people should think before they talk" We have simply just stated our opinion on this. Theres not much to your post to agree about at all. I mean what do you expect? did you expect that you would have people saying "yeah i agree! lets riot about it and get our word out!!!" Atleast post a reason or something, your topic and replies are so incredibly petty that it makes me want to hurt a small child.

I believe you are referring to my first post, and that is not what I am talking about. I meant read the other comments that have been made because they have already been addressed. whistling.gif rolleyes.gif blink.gif

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 13 2008, 01:51 PM) *
thing is, it's just pointless is what everyone is getting at. it doesn't change anything and it isn't going to make people stop saying it. you can't stop people from saying what they want to say, and i don't think anyone should try in the first place.

i wasn't raised in a household that embraced that word. i wasn't ever allowed to say any variation of it. i don't say it hardly ever, if ever. i don't call my friends that, ect. i personally think it is ridiculous...but i don't care if other people want to say it. that's their choice and i don't think they need to be censored. at the end of the day it can't be erased, or taken back, or stopped so i don't see any need in leading a crusade against a word that's not going to matter. there are way better things to fight for than the removal of a word from the dictionary.

i know people see is as some kind of symbolic gesture or something to remove it but it's not practical at all and doesn't make sense. i've been called a n****er numerous times and it would have the same effect on me whether or not it's considered a word or not...it'll still mean the same thing and people will still call me that regardless of if it's in the dictionary.

I think you have made a great point. However, it is that exact mentality that its not important enough to fight for, that leads fuels inequal rights. For example, did you know that for years after Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech, there was no memorial or plaque to indicate where he stood while giving that speech? Many thought "so what? no big deal." It took a group of school kids to fight for some type of acknowledgement. Either way the speech happened, plaque or not. But it still means something to have a recognition of it. Another example is at George Washington's house. For years there was not even a leaf to honor the burial site of many slaves who weren't even all african-american. Some thought "so what? big deal." Well someone who was passionate about it worked hard to have a memorial for the burial site of a number of people who died, and fyi, there is still not an exact amount of bodies found there, although 100 is the number normally used.

My point is, despite how big or small something is, if you believe something needs to be changed, you should work 5x as hard to make that change. Or at least support efforts for change, despite what differing opinions may say.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 13 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #54

I'm Jc

Member No: 437,556

I think you have made a great point. However, it is that exact mentality that its not important enough to fight for, that leads fuels inequal rights. For example, did you know that for years after Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech, there was no memorial or plaque to indicate where he stood while giving that speech? Many thought "so what? no big deal." It took a group of school kids to fight for some type of acknowledgement. Either way the speech happened, plaque or not. But it still means something to have a recognition of it.

ummm, i didn't say it's not important, i said it doesn't change anything. i've been to where King made his dream speech and i don't recall nor do i care if there was a plaque there or not. i don't think that really adds anything personally, it's not like it wasn't acknowledged until there was a plaque there...we've always acknowledged it. i don't think putting a plaque there changed anything. i'd like to see some sources on this big fight that it took to put a plaque up though.

Another example is at George Washington's house. For years there was not even a leaf to honor the burial site of many slaves who weren't even all african-american. Some thought "so what? big deal." Well someone who was passionate about it worked hard to have a memorial for the burial site of a number of people who died,

i've been to Mt.Vernon, Monticello, ect. ummm i guess it's good they have something to honor the burial site now. it's not like they haven't honored it anyway. i don't get how this relates to a word really. i've never been on a tour to one of these places where the guide hasn't talked exclusively about slaves, slave quarters, slave burial, ect. i guess i don't really see the point here. it wasn't acknowledged at one point, but ya know, lots old graves aren't acknowledged...

fyi, there is still not an exact amount of bodies found there, although 100 is the number normally used.

thanks for the fyi, but i've already said i've actually been to these places and seen it so you don't have to worry about informing me that much!

My point is, despite how big or small something is, if you believe something needs to be changed, you should work 5x as hard to make that change. Or at least support efforts for change, despite what differing opinions may say.

look it's not going to be changed by taking it out of the dictionary or not calling it a word. that's what everyone is getting at. we're talking about a word, not a plaque that you can just make and stick somewhere and that's that. the only way to change this is for people to stop saying it, which they will have to do on their own, because you can't force away a word. so you can say it's not a word and then guess what...nothing will have changed and you won't see or hear it any less than you did before you all the sudden claimed it wasn't a word anymore. i just don't see how you're going to feel any better about it not being a word when it's still be said all the time.

you're examples don't mean that much in my opinion because you're talking about putting a physical object somewhere which isn't anything like a word which is an idea.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 13 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 13 2008, 03:08 PM) *
ummm, i didn't say it's not important, i said it doesn't change anything. i've been to where King made his dream speech and i don't recall nor do i care if there was a plaque there or not. i don't think that really adds anything personally, it's not like it wasn't acknowledged until there was a plaque there...we've always acknowledged it. i don't think putting a plaque there changed anything. i'd like to see some sources on this big fight that it took to put a plaque up though.

i've been to Mt.Vernon, Monticello, ect. ummm i guess it's good they have something to honor the burial site now. it's not like they haven't honored it anyway. i don't get how this relates to a word really. i've never been on a tour to one of these places where the guide hasn't talked exclusively about slaves, slave quarters, slave burial, ect. i guess i don't really see the point here. it wasn't acknowledged at one point, but ya know, lots old graves aren't acknowledged...
thanks for the fyi, but i've already said i've actually been to these places and seen it so you don't have to worry about informing me that much!
look it's not going to be changed by taking it out of the dictionary or not calling it a word. that's what everyone is getting at. we're talking about a word, not a plaque that you can just make and stick somewhere and that's that. the only way to change this is for people to stop saying it, which they will have to do on their own, because you can't force away a word. so you can say it's not a word and then guess what...nothing will have changed and you won't see or hear it any less than you did before you all the sudden claimed it wasn't a word anymore. i just don't see how you're going to feel any better about it not being a word when it's still be said all the time.

you're examples don't mean that much in my opinion because you're talking about putting a physical object somewhere which isn't anything like a word which is an idea.

i disagree. I only gave physical examples because there has never been a "word thing." But, I still believe that it will change something. By us continuing to print the word in dictionaries and accepting it as proper, we are basically saying that it is okay for it to be used. People will still use it if they want to of course, but we can at least show a form of disapproval of the word. Otherwise we're just agreeing with the usage of it.

coconutter
post Nov 13 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #56

omnomnom

Member No: 180,688

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 06:00 PM) *
i disagree. I only gave physical examples because there has never been a "word thing." But, I still believe that it will change something. By us continuing to print the word in dictionaries and accepting it as proper, we are basically saying that it is okay for it to be used. People will still use it if they want to of course, but we can at least show a form of disapproval of the word. Otherwise we're just agreeing with the usage of it.

You can't automatically agree with the usage of the word if it's printed, and printing does not provoke people to use it. Not only that, it's a historical word, it belongs in dictionaries. Printing words does not provoke people you use them maliciously, that's up to the people themselves. Leave it alone, words are just words, there are none that are good or bad, it's the context they're used in that can be deemed good or bad

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 13 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(coconutter @ Nov 13 2008, 04:24 PM) *
You can't automatically agree with the usage of the word if it's printed, and printing does not provoke people to use it. Not only that, it's a historical word, it belongs in dictionaries. Printing words does not provoke people you use them maliciously, that's up to the people themselves. Leave it alone, words are just words, there are none that are good or bad, it's the context they're used in that can be deemed good or bad

I think you've made the best argument so far. However, the last part is incorrect because there is no good way to use the "N" word.

I would like for everyone who says keep the word give a good reason for it to be kept. Like how would it be beneficial if it is kept?

Tramatize
post Nov 13 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #58

Member No: 585,380

n****er means shiftless and lazy.
Its actually not a racist word, people just happen to use it in racist ways, and if we ban it, people won't care, they'll say it anyway.
Its just a word. Plus, if we ban n****er we'll have to ban a bunch of other racist words, like porch monkey, and stuff. Then gays will want f****t banned, and "small people" will want midget banned, and Spanish/Mexicans etc, will want Spick[sp?] banned.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 13 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #59

tell me more.

Member No: 35,640

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 10:46 AM) *
If one of your quotes is here, it is because your comments are pointless simply because they have already been brought up before. If you didn't read, please read. And if you have read it then that shows a lack of reading comprehension skills on your behalf if you did claim to have read previous remarks but still made points that have already been addressed.

you're cool for doing that. thanks. thumbsup.gif

most of us answered what the topic asked, and even more, most went into a discussion about it, so do not try and tell us we have a lack of reading comprehension or whatever else you are saying.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 13 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 13 2008, 05:28 PM) *
you're cool for doing that. thanks. thumbsup.gif

most of us answered what the topic asked, and even more, most went into a discussion about it, so do not try and tell us we have a lack of reading comprehension or whatever else you are saying.

Umm... that's not tru for majority of them ad even if you did discuss it, it was already discussed previously and the points were settled. So again, if you read where it was settled, then you didn't comprehend effectively. Otherwise, you wouldn't restate resolved arguments.

QUOTE(FreshYetDead @ Nov 13 2008, 05:25 PM) *
n****er means shiftless and lazy.
Its actually not a racist word, people just happen to use it in racist ways, and if we ban it, people won't care, they'll say it anyway.
Its just a word. Plus, if we ban n****er we'll have to ban a bunch of other racist words, like porch monkey, and stuff. Then gays will want f****t banned, and "small people" will want midget banned, and Spanish/Mexicans etc, will want Spick[sp?] banned.

Thanks for defining it for us. I think that'll help a lot now. However, that is a new definition. But, Im pretty sure that isn't what it meant in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

However, Please read comments before posting. Many of us have addressed the whole "its just a word and if you ban it you gotta ban other words as well" thing whistling.gif . Just read a little so you don't sound ignorant okay? thumbsup.gif

Tramatize
post Nov 13 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #61

Member No: 585,380

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 07:36 PM) *
Thanks for defining it for us. I think that'll help a lot now. However, that is a new definition. But, Im pretty sure that isn't what it meant in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

However, Please read comments before posting. Many of us have addressed the whole "its just a word and if you ban it you gotta ban other words as well" thing whistling.gif . Just read a little so you don't sound ignorant okay? thumbsup.gif

Alright smartass, but that is the definition, so people can and more than likely do use it racially, but that does not make it a racist word, therefore it shouldn't be banned. And if we banned it, how would African Americans refer to there friends?

Oh and thanks thumbsup.gif maybe later you can teach me how to be ignorant.
You can't tell people what to do, so stfu.

Umm... that's not tru for majority of them ad even if you did discuss it, it was already discussed previously and the points were settled. So again, if you read where it was settled, then you didn't comprehend effectively. Otherwise, you wouldn't restate resolved arguments.

The majority DID answer the question though, and she said most of us answered it OR (thats the main word) went into discussion about it. I know everyone answered it, even if they didn't say "Yes" or "No" they still said enough to let you know if they think it should or not.

Tomates
post Nov 13 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #62

poison

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 02:05 PM) *
I believe you are referring to my first post, and that is not what I am talking about. I meant read the other comments that have been made because they have already been addressed. whistling.gif rolleyes.gif blink.gif

Im aware thats not what your initially talking about. Though if you wanted to make a point of something you should have said more, it really just seems like your looking for people to just agree with you and call the others useless because they dont.

Amaranthus
post Nov 13 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #63

Fellatio.

Member No: 511,775

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 04:51 PM) *
I don't think everyone is paying attention. Of course you can't punish someone for saying a word. My POINT IS (please read clearly) that the word should not be regarded as a ACTUAL word. When I say actual I mean FORMAL. By formal I mean allowing it to be printed in the dictionary. AINT is not a formaal word and therefore is not listed in the dictionary. However, it is still a word because it is made of letters. Of course the nword will always be a word, but it shouldn't be part of the FORMAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I also believe that any other offensive racial terms should not be regarded as english either. Maybe slang, but not english. I really hope that everyone reads this correctly because it seems as though a lot of people here are close-minded and are not understanding my point clearly.

Who the f*ck uses n****er in formal literature/context?
Aside from the dictionary, of course.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 13 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #64

tell me more.

Member No: 35,640

hey news flash ain't is in the dictionary. f*ck is in the dictionary. and n****er is in the dictionary.

words are words. its the feeling/idea behind those certain words that can not be banned.
sure, it might be beneficial to an english lover to ban every word that is considered slang or informal, and just leave "formal" words, but that would not be a complete representation of the words we use in today's english language.

[MY BAD if someone already said that.]

Tomates
post Nov 14 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #65

poison

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 04:44 PM) *
I would like for everyone who says keep the word give a good reason for it to be kept. Like how would it be beneficial if it is kept?

So you want a good reason? Freedom of Speech

Blyat
post Nov 14 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #66

Member No: 667,832

definetly freedom of speech
and some may say this also take the "infringe on someone's happiness"
so yeah i DONT think it should be banned if you say it and someone happens to be offended all you can say is sorry

besides if it's banned someone will make up a new word

fameONE
post Nov 14 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #67

^_^

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 91,466

QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 14 2008, 12:49 PM) *
So you want a good reason? Freedom of Speech

Trump card.

coconutter
post Nov 14 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #68

omnomnom

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 13 2008, 06:44 PM) *
I think you've made the best argument so far. However, the last part is incorrect because there is no good way to use the "N" word.

It could be used when trying to sympathize with slaves. Such as "these people were ridiculed and called niggers, which was sad". That's not bad, it's a historical word, people used it commonly and it used to not be an insult, and it still isn't an "insult", it's a unique word actually. Calling someone a n****er, what are you really calling them? A black person? Or a certain type of black person? If it's a certain type of black person, i could see why people wouldn't want to be put in that category, but if it's just a black person, why does it matter? I'd hope people are content with the race they are.

karmakiller
post Nov 14 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #69

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

If you were to ban the "n" word, you would have to ban all the other words that have negative connotation. A word doesn't create racism anymore than a plaque causes someone to have an emotional attachment to a location that is important to history. Sure, the tone and delivery of the word implies if the person saying it is saying it to harmful and hurtful. (I, personally, don't think there is any positive way to use the word.)

Why should we not be censored? In Nazi Germany Hitler burned books and dictated what civilians could and could not say. They were locked off from progressing as a nation. If the government starts to ban words, they are no better. I think that we need to learn how to progress and move forward. You should spend more of your time working to stop hate crimes than ban a word. If the word is taken away, the hate is still there. It gets us nowhere.

applejaxkz
post Nov 14 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #70

Member No: 624,580

I hate when people use the word "n****er." It makes them sound ignorant.

coconutter
post Nov 14 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #71

omnomnom

huh? ^

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Nov 14 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #72

Drank wit your boy

Member No: 649,997

I don't see why they should ban it anyway. It makes my day to see two whites calling each other nigger.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 14 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #73

Freedom of speech won't be affected by removing the word from the language. They can still say it if the want. It just wont be seen as an actual word.

Bottom line is, taking the word out would be more beneficial than keeping it. No one still has not gave a good reason for it to stay and it should therefore be given the boot.

karmakiller
post Nov 14 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #74

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

lol, what? You want to go through all the trouble of banning a word so that people can still use it. That defeats the purpose of a ban.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 14 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #75

QUOTE(karmakiller @ Nov 14 2008, 10:44 PM) *
lol, what? You want to go through all the trouble of banning a word so that people can still use it. That defeats the purpose of a ban.

It's obvious that you can't stop people from saying a word, as many others have said before. But by declaring the "N" word as not a word, in my opinion there is a sort of symbolic meaning about the process. It kinda shows that America is putting thise kinds of things behind us and unity is closer.

Also I think someone said that if the "N" word is banned black people will have nothing to call their friends-WTF?

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: