Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
CA's Prop 8, FL's amendment 2 and Arizona's prop 102/ Defining marriage, Surprised this never got mentioned here.
Rating 3 V
mipadi
post Jun 23 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #251

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Jun 23 2009, 12:46 AM) *
Well, what the majority believes is right to some and wrong to others. So, either way, we do live in a democracy and the majority does rule. In view of Prop 8, I think the majority was right. And others think it was wrong. It doesnt change anything. And if you are implying that the majority was wrong, that is only your opinion.

I'm not arguing that one side is right or wrong; I'm pointing out that the majority decision isn't always the fairest, most equitable decision, and that the majority can sometimes place its own interests on such a pedestal that the interests of a minority are ignored. A majority opinion doesn't make the opinion fair or "right", as you seem to be arguing.

Uronacid
post Jun 23 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #252

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

QUOTE(mipadi @ Jun 23 2009, 10:48 AM) *
I'm not arguing that one side is right or wrong; I'm pointing out that the majority decision isn't always the fairest, most equitable decision, and that the majority can sometimes place its own interests on such a pedestal that the interests of a minority are ignored. A majority opinion doesn't make the opinion fair or "right", as you seem to be arguing.

I completely agree.

Anyway, I personally don't think it's right that these people's rights are being taken away, but alas I am religious and I don't believe gay "marriage" can exist. Stop trying to call it marriage. *sigh*

dosomethin888
post Jun 23 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #253

Group: Member
Member No: 663,413

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jun 23 2009, 09:05 AM) *
I completely agree.

Anyway, I personally don't think it's right that these people's rights are being taken away, but alas I am religious and I don't believe gay "marriage" can exist. Stop trying to call it marriage. *sigh*

In order for their rights to be taken away, they need to have had the rights before, and they havent.

Oh, ok I see what you mean.

Uronacid
post Jun 24 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #254

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Jun 23 2009, 04:50 PM) *
In order for their rights to be taken away, they need to have had the rights before, and they havent.

They were able to get married until Prop 8 passed.

a_tragic_halluci...
post Jun 30 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #255

Group: Member
Member No: 418,365

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 1 2008, 11:35 PM) *
This is a tricky one for me. Would I vote for Prop 8? Yes. Is it a bit tougher saying why on these forums? Yes.

I am a conservative person and Im getting distraught over how liberal this country is becoming: Gay Marriage, Abortion (Partial Birth Abortion which is murder, no way to deny that), legalizing prostitution, the amount of sex, drugs, nudity and language available to young children, taking away our 2nd ammendment right... It is deteriorating our society morally from within.

Homosexuals are SO loud. I think the percentage of homosexuals in the US is like, what, 8% and somehow with so few of them, we are debating gay marriage? With how loud they are and how liberal they are in their views, once gay marriage is legalized, they are going to be wanting more. Like taking children on a field trip to see a homosexual wedding. Thats wrong. And introducing a book in elementary school about two Princes falling in love. Thats wrong.
But these people doing these things.. obviously dont see this behavior as wrong. Just like brainwashing your kids to sing "I love (enter presidential candidate's name here)!" Brainwashing children at all is wrong. I say teach EVOLUTION and CREATIONISM in school. Ya, creationism has no scientific basis but there is overwhelming evidence that the Bible is accurate on more than one account and evolution has enough freakin holes in it. So.. options, options, options.

I guess the main reason I am against gay marriage is because it opens the doors to more morally void things to be pushed into this society. What happens when you take morals out of a society? It crumbles. Well, at least I think so.

Love is wrong? Which, IS the basis of marriage. It makes no sense to argue the basis of marriage because it has to do with love. Supposedly. I hope we're out of the era where we marry for convenience and love.

Although, I don't think straight couples feel the need to have their children take a field trip to a straight wedding. How absurd to insinuate a gay couple would. I'm gay and I don't see myself doing that at all, a wedding is a time of celebration, not of observation. Gay is only morally wrong in a religious perspective and living in a country where religion isn't something everyone has, isn't fair to use as a guideline. Not everyone follows the guidelines of the bible. I certainly didn't.

I don't understand why the lives of homosexuals affects others. Its not like gay people choose to be gay so they can piss off society. I don't think ANY gay person woke up and decided, "Hey, I think I'll be gay and cause controversy." And even if a few did, I don't think ALL of them did. Honestly, no one would choose to be gay. Who would want to wake up to being viewed against? Or to be subject to the hell people feel the need to put them through? It isn't fair, something that could possibly not be a choice is something you're punished for. And even if it were a choice, its not something personally directed towards anyone, its a personal thing, not public. It shouldn't be presented as something people can vote on, when straight couples rights aren't voted on. In fact, they're handed to them. Looking at the situation, its an unfairness in society that's being overlooked by cruel people who would rather listen to the words of someone we cannot prove exists. Its also an unfairness common mostly in the Western Hemisphere, there are many cultures on the other side of the world who have accepted homosexuality.

Uronacid
post Jun 30 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #256

QUOTE(a_tragic_hallucination @ Jun 30 2009, 01:06 AM) *
Love is wrong? Which, IS the basis of marriage. It makes no sense to argue the basis of marriage because it has to do with love. Supposedly. I hope we're out of the era where we marry for convenience and love.

Although, I don't think straight couples feel the need to have their children take a field trip to a straight wedding. How absurd to insinuate a gay couple would. I'm gay and I don't see myself doing that at all, a wedding is a time of celebration, not of observation. Gay is only morally wrong in a religious perspective and living in a country where religion isn't something everyone has, isn't fair to use as a guideline. Not everyone follows the guidelines of the bible. I certainly didn't.

I don't understand why the lives of homosexuals affects others. Its not like gay people choose to be gay so they can piss off society. I don't think ANY gay person woke up and decided, "Hey, I think I'll be gay and cause controversy." And even if a few did, I don't think ALL of them did. Honestly, no one would choose to be gay. Who would want to wake up to being viewed against? Or to be subject to the hell people feel the need to put them through? It isn't fair, something that could possibly not be a choice is something you're punished for. And even if it were a choice, its not something personally directed towards anyone, its a personal thing, not public. It shouldn't be presented as something people can vote on, when straight couples rights aren't voted on. In fact, they're handed to them. Looking at the situation, its an unfairness in society that's being overlooked by cruel people who would rather listen to the words of someone we cannot prove exists. Its also an unfairness common mostly in the Western Hemisphere, there are many cultures on the other side of the world who have accepted homosexuality.

I think you're responding to an extremely old post. The more relevant posts are closer to the end of the thread.

Marriage is the social, religious, spiritual and/or legal union of a man and a woman. It has nothing to do with love, however the individuals who are getting married should probably love each other.

I do believe that there are individuals out there that choose to be Gay. Many people are irrational, and often times do things that don't make any logical sense. You haven't gone to high school have you?

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: