Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
College Opportunity
BamBamBoogie
post Apr 10 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 484,926

Should there be a tuition for college? Some say that it discriminates against those who lack opportunities and financial stability. While others say it prepares you for a society where nothing is free. What do you say?

shoryuken
post Apr 10 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Group: Official Member
Member No: 585,858

skooll 4 fuu

hypnotique
post Apr 10 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #3

Live long and prosper.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 478,024

I feel you should be accepted into college based on actual talent or gift in the field of study you want to persue.

And then maybe some sort of minimal fee kinda like how it was K-12.
30,000+ a year is bullshit and half the time alums dont even get a job afterwards.

freeridefight
post Apr 10 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #4

mercenary on call

Member No: 447,606

QUOTE(hypnotique @ Apr 10 2009, 10:02 PM) *
I feel you should be accepted into college based on actual talent or gift in the field of study you want to persue.

And then maybe some sort of minimal fee kinda like how it was K-12.
30,000+ a year is bullshit and half the time alums dont even get a job afterwards.

Agreed. Wtf is the point if youre going to require additional training or not even get looked at until you have some experience somewhere.

Thank God my college is 12,000 a year.

angelle
post Apr 12 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Member No: 709,849

If you get into Standford and your family income is less than 150k per year, they'll pay for all of your expenses (:

-SoDifferent
post Apr 12 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Member No: 722,748

It sucks for people if they don't have the money and have to struggle with student loans and all those expenses.

illriginal
post Apr 12 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #7

Member No: 455,274

Education should definitely be free. If they don't want to make schools like Yale and Harvard free, then make city colleges and state universities free stubborn.gif

firechild
post Apr 12 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #8

BBM: 310ED181

Member No: 671,976

all education should be free (or as close to as possible)
one of my friends can't get into college because he doesn't have the money.
(he was going to go to juliard)

shoryuken
post Apr 12 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #9

alll yall bunchaa DOOCH.. stubborn.gif

freeridefight
post Apr 13 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #10

mercenary on call

Member No: 447,606

QUOTE(PrinceGonnaChokeaBEECH @ Apr 12 2009, 06:19 PM) *
alll yall bunchaa DOOCH.. stubborn.gif

this coming from a guy who looks like Jenny Shimizu in his picture.

Uronacid
post Apr 13 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #11

Member No: 555,438

It cost me 30,000 for college, and it was an investment. I Graduated and I busted my ass to find a JOB. I got one, and I'm happy. It was well worth the investment. I think that many people go to college with the idea that they'll immediately get a job afterward. Let me tell you, if you're not passionate about what you're going to college for then you're wasting your money. f*ck liberal arts.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 13 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #12

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

if i went for anything other than art, i'd be wasting my money.

illriginal
post Apr 13 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 13 2009, 06:34 PM) *
It cost me 30,000 for college, and it was an investment. I Graduated and I busted my ass to find a JOB. I got one, and I'm happy. It was well worth the investment. I think that many people go to college with the idea that they'll immediately get a job afterward. Let me tell you, if you're not passionate about what you're going to college for then you're wasting your money. f*ck liberal arts.

Seriously.. luckily I've always loved computers, well since back when I was 13 years old. Otherwise I'd probably hate the crap I do. And it's true what they say, if you love what you do, then you're really not working. Honestly the jobs I've done have been nothing more to me but getting paid for doing a hobby _smile.gif

shoryuken
post Apr 13 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(freeridefight @ Apr 13 2009, 05:58 PM) *
this coming from a guy who looks like Jenny Shimizu in his picture.

lol nooo evinn cluss NUB..

tryy akkain aarite rolleyes.gif

stopp lookenn moi PIC n git u handd outta u pant FAAG stubborn.gif

BamBamBoogie
post Apr 13 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #15

Just a thought: Do you all think that if college was free people would take it for granted and not try as hard and/or appreciate the education as much as they would have had they been required to pay a tuition?

illriginal
post Apr 13 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Apr 13 2009, 11:28 PM) *
Just a thought: Do you all think that if college was free people would take it for granted and not try as hard and/or appreciate the education as much as they would have had they been required to pay a tuition?

If the change was made right now in this very moment? I think every poor person would honestly try their hardest, same with the rich bastages... but ya it really depends. I mean there's countries like Dominican Republic where education is 100% free and the recent generations have been taking advantage of it now that their economy is doing a little better compared to the last decades.

But yes, generally people who actually have to pay for something would try their hardest not to eff up, while people who get it free more than likely would take it for granted over time. It's more on a personal/individual level.

brooklyneast05
post Apr 13 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #17

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

well, i duno. just a thought but maybe there could be a standard for being free. for instance, i don't sit around that much and think i need to make the money worthwhile, because i'm not really paying much. the school is paying me to be there. so it being my money isn't an incentive for me. however, not losing my scholarship is. so maybe it could be free if you maintain over a certain grade point? then as long as you were willing to work hard, you can get your education with little cost. if you aren't going to work hard and get the grades and go to class, then you can pay for it yourself.

sixfive
post Apr 13 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #18

Member No: 653,768

^deterrence from failure!

BamBamBoogie
post Apr 15 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 13 2009, 11:54 PM) *
so maybe it could be free if you maintain over a certain grade point? then as long as you were willing to work hard, you can get your education with little cost. if you aren't going to work hard and get the grades and go to class, then you can pay for it yourself.

Basically you're somewhat agreeing with the current financial system for college, am i correct? You're saying that its free if you have the grades. But that's basically the same as getting a scholarship because you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep it.

mipadi
post Apr 15 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #20

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 13 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Why the resentment towards liberal arts? Back during the Renaissance, when universities were getting started, liberal arts was the curriculum.

And what if someone's passionate about something in the humanities? Even though my degree's in computer science, I was a lot happier when I was studying English. Somebody's gotta write; somebody's gotta produce art.

Uronacid
post Apr 16 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #21

QUOTE(mipadi @ Apr 15 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Why the resentment towards liberal arts? Back during the Renaissance, when universities were getting started, liberal arts was the curriculum.

And what if someone's passionate about something in the humanities? Even though my degree's in computer science, I was a lot happier when I was studying English. Somebody's gotta write; somebody's gotta produce art.

If someone is passionate about something in the humanities that's one thing, however I find that a large percentage of students heading down "libral arts" lane are only doing it because they don't know what to do with themselves. They just aren't passionate about anything.

QUOTE(illmortal @ Apr 13 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Seriously.. luckily I've always loved computers, well since back when I was 13 years old. Otherwise I'd probably hate the crap I do. And it's true what they say, if you love what you do, then you're really not working. Honestly the jobs I've done have been nothing more to me but getting paid for doing a hobby _smile.gif

You get what I'm saying. You loved something and made a career out of it. This is exactly what I did. Whether it be humanities, computers, or biology it doesn't matter. You've got to be passionate about what you do. :)

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 13 2009, 11:54 PM) *
well, i duno. just a thought but maybe there could be a standard for being free. for instance, i don't sit around that much and think i need to make the money worthwhile, because i'm not really paying much. the school is paying me to be there. so it being my money isn't an incentive for me. however, not losing my scholarship is. so maybe it could be free if you maintain over a certain grade point? then as long as you were willing to work hard, you can get your education with little cost. if you aren't going to work hard and get the grades and go to class, then you can pay for it yourself.

I love this idea.

Superase
post Apr 23 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #22

Candy & Cookie Tester

Member No: 724,880

College should be free!
I'm right now at a community college because I can't afford to attend a public four year university.
The prices that you have to pay not just for your class but for your books is crazy!
I live in Georgia now and they've just changed the financial aid (HOPE) that if you did not graduate high school from Georgia you have to wait two years to get any sort of money. Where just a couple of months ago you only had to be here a year. In June I'll be a resident of Georgia and i will not get any money because I graduated in Florida.
So I've had to apply for FAFSA, and hope that i'm poor enough to get a good amount of money to pay for some of my classes.
If college was free do you know how many people would attend...alot. Do you know what that would do to our society...maybe make us smarter.

Uronacid
post Apr 23 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Superase @ Apr 23 2009, 08:58 AM) *
If college was free do you know how many people would attend...alot. Do you know what that would do to our society...maybe make us smarter.

more people attending college != smarter society

kryogenix
post Apr 23 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #24

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Member No: 29

All education needs to be privatized. Public education is a sinkhole for taxpayer money.

Uronacid
post Apr 23 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(kryogenjx @ Apr 23 2009, 03:59 PM) *
All education needs to be privatized. Public education is a sinkhole for taxpayer money.

This makes sense, if they privatized public education then schools would be encouraged to be better. The schooling system wouldn't recieve money based upon the quantity of students. Instead, parents would send their children to a school for quality edjucation and spend their money else-where if their children weren't learning.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: