Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Master Debater
Tung
post Mar 19 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #1

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,593

Debate about who is the better debater on cB.

Top Choices
- Nate (NoSex)
- Steven
- Kryogenix
- Fae (Spirited Away)
- Josh (Uronacid)
- Sammi (ersatz)
- Nicki (paperplane)
- JC (brooklyneast05)
- Tamacracker mellow.gif
- Brandon
- Podo (monster)
- Sumiaki

State the pros and cons, and give your side, as to who distinguish themselves out of all the rest. Why is __ better than __.

/

EddieV
post Mar 19 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #2

cB Assassin

Group: Official Member
Member No: 7,672

This topic is sorta debatable because of biased opinions. I mean I agree with a lot of things Tamacracker says however I don't like his approach towards it.

NoSex
post Mar 19 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #3

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(Sulfur @ Mar 19 2008, 11:59 AM) *
This topic is sorta debatable because of biased opinions. I mean I agree with a lot of things Tamacracker says however I don't like his approach towards it.

Well, debate is often less about what you say and more about how you say it. The powers of persuasion, unfortunately, are not slaves to reality. But, that's why you have to have competent contributors and detractors... without all of us yelling at one another, this wouldn't be half as fun, interesting, insightful, or rewarding.

*Steven*
post Mar 19 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #4

shut the f**k up nate go suck more liberal cock you douchebag

illriginal
post Mar 19 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #5

Member No: 455,274

QUOTE(NoSex @ Mar 19 2008, 03:30 PM) *
Well, debate is often less about what you say and more about how you say it. The powers of persuasion, unfortunately, are not slaves to reality. But, that's why you have to have competent contributors and detractors... without all of us yelling at one another, this wouldn't be half as fun, interesting, insightful, or rewarding.

Nailed it on the money.

Sucks that if someone tells truth in a debate all it takes is a curse word to screw it up. And I notice with some of the debates here on this forum, they almost become laughable. They fall off topic, they become flaming arguments, it becomes too personal, and people generally misinterpret things. I don't like debating with people who put words in my mouth or twist what I say, or get on a whole different level than needs be.

And most of all, I dislike debating with females (no offense, no woman-hater)... females tend to have all those attributes that I've mentioned, and those are the types of attributes that ruin the fundamentals of debates. And we all know that men and women think completely differently than each other.

Simba
post Mar 19 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

QUOTE(Sulfur @ Mar 19 2008, 12:59 PM) *
I'd be inclined to agree...

I really haven't been here enough anymore, huh. Who's Sumiaki? whistling.gif

EddieV
post Mar 19 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #7

cB Assassin

In other things, I don't agree with anything NoSex says, but his approach is slightly better.

*paperplane*
post Mar 19 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 19 2008, 04:20 PM) *
Nailed it on the money.

Sucks that if someone tells truth in a debate all it takes is a curse word to screw it up. And I notice with some of the debates here on this forum, they almost become laughable. They fall off topic, they become flaming arguments, it becomes too personal, and people generally misinterpret things. I don't like debating with people who put words in my mouth or twist what I say, or get on a whole different level than needs be.

And most of all, I dislike debating with females (no offense, no woman-hater)... females tend to have all those attributes that I've mentioned, and those are the types of attributes that ruin the fundamentals of debates. And we all know that men and women think completely differently than each other.

You're a f**king idiot.

I say that not because I'm a woman, but because I think ad hominem arguments are awesome because I'm a woman. Duh.

illriginal
post Mar 19 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(paperplane @ Mar 19 2008, 06:15 PM) *
You're a f**king idiot.

I say that not because I'm a woman, but because I think ad hominem arguments are awesome because I'm a woman. Duh.

Exactly. And nothing is worst than fallacy in a debate. And I can agree that females tend to have logical fallacy, thus creating unneeded arguments.

That's why men tend to let their women just win the argument, because there's no right in a man's word.

superstitious
post Mar 19 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 19 2008, 03:20 PM) *

You have read Fae's posts, right? Because your theory would definitely exclude her. I respect that you have an opinion on the matter, but I don't respect your opinion.
QUOTE(Steven @ Mar 19 2008, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(paperplane @ Mar 19 2008, 05:15 PM) *
You're a f**king idiot.

Those comments are entirely unnecessary and really uncalled for. I'm pretty liberal in my approach to moderating here, but please at least make an attempt to be civil, especially in this forum. It's in the forum rules, which are listed above (and are visible even as I type this response).

I would say that Nate (NoSex), Fae(Spirited Away), Sammi (ersatz) and Brandon are the best Debaters, in my opinion. They present their arguments logically and don't push their opinions on others.

illriginal
post Mar 19 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(superstitious @ Mar 19 2008, 06:47 PM) *
You have read Fae's posts, right? Because your theory would definitely exclude her. I respect that you have an opinion on the matter, but I don't respect your opinion.

Was that Fae who claimed our country is not in recession, when it clearly is? If so... I rest my case.

superstitious
post Mar 19 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #12

Tick tock, Bill

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 19 2008, 05:51 PM) *
Was that Fae who claimed our country is not in recession, when it clearly is? If so... I rest my case.

Is that an opinion given by females exclusively? Or does the fact that she's a woman automatically disqualify her from being a legitimate debating partner?

illriginal
post Mar 19 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(superstitious @ Mar 19 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Is that an opinion given by females exclusively? Or does the fact that she's a woman automatically disqualify her from being a legitimate debating partner?

No. Non of that. I'm simply saying that if it was her who tried to tell me and the rest of us that there's no recession as a fact then I rest my case in terms of why I don't like to debate with her.

And I should have been more specific, I believe that "generally" speaking, women are not good for debates because of the fallacies they bring to the table.

And best of all, their lil friends go off agreeing with them which only shows who's the sheeple and who are the independent thinkers.

Simba
post Mar 19 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #14

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

Man, sometimes it can be hard whether you guys are being serious or sarcastic around here.

superstitious
post Mar 19 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #15

Tick tock, Bill

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 19 2008, 05:58 PM) *
No. Non of that. I'm simply saying that if it was her who tried to tell me and the rest of us that there's no recession as a fact then I rest my case in terms of why I don't like to debate with her.

And I should have been more specific, I believe that "generally" speaking, women are not good for debates because of the fallacies they bring to the table.
And best of all, their lil friends go off agreeing with them which only shows who's the sheeple and who are the independent thinkers.

Ah. I should clarify that my italicizing of "her" was merely to point out that she was female. Damn internet and loss of context.

I like "generally" speaking better. I know, it seems like such a silly little thing, but my opinion of you as a debater would completely diminish if I were to think that you didn't debate with certain individuals based solely on their gender.

*Steven*
post Mar 19 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 19 2008, 05:51 PM) *

It was her. I agree with her, though. Economic downturn =/= recession. People made some stupid choices, some really stupid choices, and there are people who are hurting. There are plenty of people who are doing just fine. I've felt nothing of this "recession". Anyways, we'll just see how things turn out :)

illriginal
post Mar 19 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Steven @ Mar 19 2008, 07:01 PM) *
It was her. I agree with her, though. Economic downturn =/= recession. People made some stupid choices, some really stupid choices, and there are people who are hurting. There are plenty of people who are doing just fine. I've felt nothing of this "recession". Anyways, we'll just see how things turn out :)

Can you give me an example of a recession prior to the one that I as well as many many many many many other economists agree exists today?

Look up the word recession, that's exactly what's been goin on for a few years now. Specially with the fact that the war in the Middle East is costing us 12 billion dollars a month. =\

We can't call this a downturn, unless you plan on calling every day a down turn for economy. Downturn only happens once per period, not consistently, if that's the case, then it is called, "recession". Technically speaking.

downturn

A decline in security prices or economic activity following a period of rising or stable prices or activity. Even strong bull markets are subject to occasional downturns.

This isn't happening, because the fact of the matter is, every time the stocks (generally) go down 10 points, it goes up 5 points... this is like gas prices. Every time the gas goes up 20 cents, it drops 10 cents, then rises another 20 cents, and drops another 10 cents... the gas is "increasing". There's no upturn in the stocks and anyone who's claiming their is, is a lethargic lying devil.

By the way I listen to 610AM (which is a right-wing republican/conservative radio channel)... economy is always the open argument of the morning. And they put a lot of economists on their radio show which all agree that the economy is going through a recession slowly but surely.

Heathasm
post Mar 19 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #18

creepy heather

Member No: 41,580

not to be a jackass but i think everyone up there is a great masturbater debater. i really enjoy reading all of their posts

well except for podo and jc

Tung
post Mar 19 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #19

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

I appreciate the debate about recessions, but this thread isn't about that. If you want to debate about that, go to the recession thread. mellow.gif

Heather, care to explain why Podo and JC aren't good?

illriginal
post Mar 19 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(tungmyBANANA @ Mar 19 2008, 07:24 PM) *
I appreciate the debate about recessions, but this thread isn't about that. If you want to debate about that, go to the recession thread. mellow.gif

Heather, care to explain why Podo and JC aren't good?

My bad, I'm just soooooo pissed that I let Fae win that lil debate about economy when I should have stood my ground. ::pout::

*paperplane*
post Mar 19 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #21

Rebecca, that was a joke.

I could take Tamacracker's debating more seriously if he wouldn't judge other people's abilities on broad generalities such as gender, that aren't actually applicable any more applicable to the girls who post in debate here (all three, four of us?) than the guys.

NoSex
post Mar 19 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #22

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(Steven @ Mar 19 2008, 02:14 PM) *

You love me.

P.S. The idea that women are worse at debating because women, inherently, present more fallacies is, in and of itself, a fallacy. It's a hasty generalization.

EddieV
post Mar 19 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #23

cB Assassin

Women do tend to win most arguments though.

*paperplane*
post Mar 19 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #24

That has nothing to do with their tendency to use a lot of logical fallacies.

brooklyneast05
post Mar 19 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #25

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i duno what all the talk about women is about, especially with fae being one of the best here. nate and fae are my favorites. nate is the only person who's posts i come away from feeling like i've learned something. i like steven's debates when he's being serious. he can make some really good points. as much as i'd like to hate on tamacracker, i won't because he sparks more debate. he would be a lot better if his delivery was better. my delivery isn't that good either though.

i like reading all the posts by the debate regulars, especially because there's only a handful who keep that forum going.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: