Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Zeitgeist, the movie
*paperplane*
post Feb 6 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #1

When I searched for "Zeitgeist," the only relevant topic was on the Smashing Pumpkins, which is a shame, because this is definitely worth discussion.

Zeitgeist is an internet movie that essentially presents a huge government conspiracy, in terms of religion, 9/11, the Federal Reserve, and what adds up to be a quest for world domination that we're all helping occur by being too distracted by entertainment.

Before watching, I hadn't known a whole lot about it, except that it was generally a conspiracy theory that will make you completely mistrust the government, and that it covered the alleged internal plot behind 9/11. (I imagine we have a topic on that somewhere, but I want to discuss this documentary as a whole.) But it was actually the second half of the movie that unnerved me the most, and made me reconsider my views much more than I thought it would.

Watch it at http://zeitgeistmovie.com. It's two hours long, but definitely worth your while.

Please don't post in here unless you've watched, but once you have, what did you think? Do you feel that you benefited from this information? Do you trust it, and if so, to what extent? If you don't consider it to be conveying the truth, why not? How would you account for these discrepancies in our society? What parts would you consider to be the least credible?

*Steven*
post Feb 6 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #2

I'll watch it. Oh dang, I just broke your rule. This is like JC's thread. No but seriously, I'll get around to watching it then responding.

*paperplane*
post Feb 6 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #3

I don't mind you saying that because I believe you'll actually watch, I just don't want ignorant responses of people jumping to conclusions.

(I'd rather the thread not die before it gets anywhere, so some posting is acceptable, haha.)

MissFits
post Feb 7 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No: 531,256

All my friends love hearing about consipracy theories.
They have been begging me to watch this movie for some time now but it's hard for me to sit still for 2 hours.

I'd love to hear some reviews from people that don't believe everything they see before I watch it.

NoSex
post Feb 7 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #5

in the reverb chamber.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 300,308

This is a film that suffers from a great deal of unsourced, uncited, anecdotal, and or highly dubious information. The movie has some very appealing and agreeable conclusions (we should avoid oppression, question authority, be weary of government, break free from the slavery of religion and mass media, etc. etc) but nearly all of these conclusions are founded on false pretense and supported by a slew of lies, exaggerations, and misconceptions. It's just not a scientific investigation, and, it's presentation of the 9/11 Conspiracy Theory was so full of eye rolling moments as to entirely discredit the filmmakers.

I liked part one (although a lot of it was speculatory and exaggerated - it's main premise is true, Christianity is borrowed spirituality), I hated part two (the 9/11 truth movement is depraved and idiotic, full of misinformation, misconception, distortion, psychological selection, and complete and utter lies), and, for the most part, I disliked part three (I don't know enough about it, but it also didn't give me the means to seriously investigate a lot of their claims. A lot of it is old news, but with a stricter world conspiracy sort of twist, that I think hurts the message more than helps it).

*paperplane*
post Feb 7 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Part 1 was pretty interesting. I already find religion to be pretty silly, though. Part 2 was about what I expected to watch, and therefore I just sort of shrugged off all of it. I think the NORAD bit stuck out the most from that, because it wasn't something I'd heard of. Do you know anymore about what truth there may be behind that theory, Nate? The part at the end I mentioned being slightly unnerving wasn't the ridiculous conclusions drawn about the bankers wanting a world government, but it made me think about the implications of the Fed being a private bank. Is the money loaned out at interest and is there really no law about filing taxes and all that? I wouldn't take the rest of it particularly seriously, but I found it really interesting because I like books about dystopian societies and corrupt governments too much.

kryogenix
post Feb 8 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Member No: 29

This movie is a piece of turd conspiracy piece, and I'm sick of people spamming the internet telling people to watch said piece of turd.

*paperplane*
post Feb 8 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #8

This isn't spam. Regardless of credibility, it's still interesting. It could potentially perpetuate intelligent discussion if people can find a a middle ground between "conspiracy crap" and taking it as truth.

kryogenix
post Feb 8 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #9

What middle ground is there? People who hate religion will say "AHA! This confirms what I've believed all along, even though the evidence is shaky! Religion ARE TEH STOOPID!" People who like religion will refuse to watch it.

This belongs in entertainment moreso than debate.

*paperplane*
post Feb 8 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #10

The whole thing isn't about religion.
Just because you think something isn't debatable doesn't mean it isn't. There are still things to think about, and god knows nothing gets remotely thought about when posted in other places. And of course there's a gray area between absolute truth and absolute bullshit.

Or we could just debate whether it's debatable rolleyes.gif

kryogenix
post Feb 8 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #11

Please. Facts are either absolutely true, or absolutely bullshit. It's the subjective labels (read: opinions) that people like to place on things that create a gray area.

It's silly to watch this movie because you're skeptical about the world, when you're not even going to be skeptical towards what the movie says.

Why do you want to debate the bullshit? Is it because you don't know what the bullshit is? Or is it because you actually believe the bullshit is true?

brooklyneast05
post Feb 8 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #12

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i'm gonna watch this tonight. i'll be back

*paperplane*
post Feb 8 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Feb 8 2008, 05:01 PM) *
Please. Facts are either absolutely true, or absolutely bullshit. It's the subjective labels (read: opinions) that people like to place on things that create a gray area.

It's silly to watch this movie because you're skeptical about the world, when you're not even going to be skeptical towards what the movie says.

Why do you want to debate the bullshit? Is it because you don't know what the bullshit is? Or is it because you actually believe the bullshit is true?

Oh come on. You can't say what's what, though, or else there wouldn't be any need to debate anything. Our beliefs differ. Our opinions differ. One of us may acknowledging the "absolute truth," but we don't know, we just have our opinions.

If I think something is debatable, then obviously I must be skeptical of it. Why do we want to debate anything? Potentially interesting discussion, is one reason I consider. If you're so completely sure that this movie contains absolutely no truth whatsoever, then by all means feel free not to participate in this topic.

kryogenix
post Feb 8 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #14

You don't want me to participate in the topic because I think the movie has questionable information? I thought you wanted to debate!

Answer the last two questions in my previous post. Then we'll see whether this is worth debating or not.

*paperplane*
post Feb 8 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #15

No, I want to to participate, but I didn't particularly want to debate whether something was worthy of a debate. And no, neither. Pretty sure I answered those already.

kryogenix
post Feb 8 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #16

HAY GUYZ LETZ TALK ABOUTZ DIS MOVIE

That movie had bullshit than a Michael Moore movie.

NO U CAN'T POST HEAR N E MORE

*paperplane*
post Feb 8 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #17

For godsake, if you were just saying that a lot of it was unfounded bullshit- no problem. But you're now you're having me argue with you over whether it's even debatable- infinitely more annoying.

amos8494
post Feb 11 2008, 01:02 AM
Post #18

Member No: 620,126

I found this movie in the midst of the Chris Crocker hype. He mentioned it in a video and listed the link. I was skeptical to watch it at first, because the kid that led me to it seemed like a crazed over-actor! I started the movie a couple times, and got bored and stopped it. When I finally watched it all, I sat in shock at the end wondering if this could be true. I've always been skeptical of religion and god, but it's still hard to drop everything you've been trained to believe. I don't know if everything in it is factual, but a part of me does believe it is or they wouldn't have listed all the sources, for people to research it for themselves.
I was still skeptical at the end, and then I googled the RealID they spoke of, and it was in the process of being passed. I'm still riding the fence on the whole thing, but I do think America needs to see this if only to convince them to question things and not believe everything they're told!

freeridefight
post Feb 11 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #19

mercenary on call

Member No: 447,606

My friend told me about it, and I browsed through it; hit a couple spots and watched. I'll watch it later, but alot of the topics seemed like they could be true.

brooklyneast05
post Feb 11 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #20

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i thought it was entertaining. i agree with everyone who's said the first part is the best. it gradually gets a little bit more out there throughout the whole thing. over all i thought it was fairly convincing, more so than i thought it was going to be. i'll say i was kinda uncomfortable at the end of it. now that i've had some time to think about it and let it wear off i'm more doubtful about the whole thing.

the 9/11 stuff is eh. i've heard it for years and never believed it. there are things that i guess are weird about all of it. the movie does a good job of highlighting how perfectly the towers fell in on themselves. i don't know enough about the effects of a plane hitting a building and what it would do to the frame to say i believe that it isn't possible. i think the whole thing plays off the lack of technical knowledge about the event that most of us have. over all it's too unbelievable to me that our own government would do that. maybe i'm naive but i just don't buy that. it would take A LOT to sell me completely on that idea.

either way, this movie was more interesting to watch than i expected.

QUOTE(NoSex @ Feb 7 2008, 09:54 PM) *
The movie has some very appealing and agreeable conclusions (we should avoid oppression, question authority, be weary of government, break free from the slavery of religion and mass media, etc. etc) but nearly all of these conclusions are founded on false pretense and supported by a slew of lies, exaggerations, and misconceptions.

i agree with this.

TimeZonesAway
post Feb 18 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #21

Give me a name

Member No: 560,190

i saw that movie a while ago
and i found it so intriguing.

although i will admit it was boring at some parts.
but that's just because i'm young and politics bore me.
but all in all it was very interesting to watch.
although my mother said it was all just propaganda.
which bummed me out because she is probably right.
but it was still worth watching.

kimmytree
post Feb 27 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #22

Kimberly

Member No: 121,599

I saw the movie about a month ago, and I found it very interesting, especially the first part. I think the 2nd and 3rd parts are a little far-fetched though, but it made me think.

monster
post Feb 27 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #23

Group: Banned
Member No: 11,810

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Feb 8 2008, 12:40 PM) *
This movie is a piece of turd conspiracy piece, and I'm sick of people spamming the internet telling people to watch said piece of turd.

+1.

Tung
post Mar 12 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #24

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

Watched it 3 months ago. I can say there were some bold claims, but the movie got me really thinking. The religion aspect of it was really enlightening. Religious people should at least watch this and think about it for a bit, without getting offended.

monster
post Mar 12 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #25

Group: Banned
Member No: 11,810

QUOTE(tungmyBANANA @ Mar 12 2008, 01:34 PM) *
Watched it 3 months ago. I can say there were some bold claims, but the movie got me really thinking. The religion aspect of it was really enlightening. Religious people should at least watch this and think about it for a bit, without getting offended.

not if it's all bullshit, buddy.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: