Resource Center Links

This Month's Contests | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | Big Book of Resources

Submission Guidelines

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Designer Thieves
Mikeplyts
post Jul 15 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #26

Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 676,291

DISS

seriously though. I always leave credits on my site for any resources I used, you should too.

Uronacid
post Jul 15 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #27

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jul 15 2009, 02:56 PM) *
Plus, if they're smart enough, they can just change the image and/or the coding too...

If they're smart enough and understand the code to begin with. Why should they need to rewrite it all. Especially if they'd probably just write it exactly the same way. It makes no sense.

QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jul 15 2009, 03:14 PM) *
DISS
seriously though. I always leave credits on my site for any resources I used, you should too.

It's a nice thing to do, but it doesn't matter. If you're going to write some code, and you already understand the language and what you want to do. Don't reinvent the wheel. I understand your frustration, but you're bitching over something that you have no control over and that just makes you look like a bitch. Grab your balls, be a man, and say, "Oh my God."

Mikeplyts
post Jul 15 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #28

I never said I was frustrated and I don't think I'm bitching at all. >_>

none345678
post Jul 15 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #29

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

I don't think he is talking about you, just people in general.

As far as codes go I agree with you since we didn't "invent" the code.

Mikeplyts
post Jul 15 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #30

oh, LOL. sorry Josh.

Who did "invent" the codes?

res8zenith
post Jul 15 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #31

Group: Member
Member No: 569,515

..uhh you gots are getting off topic..

the only person i agree with so far is Mikeplyts

fixtatik
post Jul 15 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #32

Member No: 648,123

QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 15 2009, 02:23 PM) *
haha, watermarks...
Im sorry, but do you know how many things I have used after taking off the credit. It isnt illegal! Even if it is rude, it isnt illegal. Taking content off of a website, maybe but removing the credit from a myspce layout? psh... But I havent ever redistributed content or claimed it as my own.

Whooa...where did you get the idea that stealing copyrighted content is legal? Under United States law, as soon as an author puts a copyright notice on a work, that work and the copyright are property of the author for life, plus 70 years after death.

Maybe you should read up on US copyright laws before you go around hocking any more work: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

You don't have to register with the copyright office for something to be copyrighted. That's only something you if you want to be able to sue someone for stealing your work. Stealing is illegal in the United States.

res8zenith
post Jul 16 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #33

bo-ya!! you're awesome fixatik! i read that somewhere but i don't remember if it was 70 years or 40 years..xD oh well 70 sounds better. so all my designs i copyrighted are mine so i can go around kicking some ballz yay!

synapse
post Jul 16 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #34

Live long and prosper.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 514,926

QUOTE(fixtatik @ Jul 16 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Whooa...where did you get the idea that stealing copyrighted content is legal? Under United States law, as soon as an author puts a copyright notice on a work, that work and the copyright are property of the author for life, plus 70 years after death.

Maybe you should read up on US copyright laws before you go around hocking any more work: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

You don't have to register with the copyright office for something to be copyrighted. That's only something you if you want to be able to sue someone for stealing your work. Stealing is illegal in the United States.

The author doesn't have to even put copyright on their work. As of April 1, 1989, it just is.

MoneyIsDaMotive
post Jul 16 2009, 04:30 AM
Post #35

Blazed

Member No: 732,840

so what if you look at a layout
and you got a idea for another layout
same style just not the same brushes/codes/font?

synapse
post Jul 16 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #36

Live long and prosper.

QUOTE(SwaggLookinGood @ Jul 16 2009, 05:30 AM) *
so what if you look at a layout
and you got a idea for another layout
same style just not the same brushes/codes/font?

That really has to be looked at in a case-by-case basis. Not just in general. Your inspiration can come from another website. It could even use the same fonts. However, the placement, images, etc. Should not be reproduced in your design. You can look at, for example, a site that uses abstract colored waves, and be inspired by that to create your own site that has an abstract colored wave background, but it should be created solely by you. And the website, should be completely different. Don't try to match point-to-point their entire design.

Uronacid
post Jul 16 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jul 16 2009, 04:03 AM) *
The author doesn't have to even put copyright on their work. As of April 1, 1989, it just is.

Yeah, but this is small time stuff. Do you really mean to tell me that you've never copied and pasted potions of someone's code into your own designs. Give me a break. It's part of the learning process.

QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jul 15 2009, 05:14 PM) *
oh, LOL. sorry Josh.
Who did "invent" the codes?

Yes, I am talking about people in general.

synapse
post Jul 16 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #38

Live long and prosper.

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jul 16 2009, 09:47 AM) *
Yeah, but this is small time stuff. Do you really mean to tell me that you've never copied and pasted potions of someone's code into your own designs. Give me a break. It's part of the learning process.
Yes, I am talking about people in general.

Yes. After learning a bit on my own from resource sites; then helping dozens of people with their codes is how I learned. But I hardly see why you quoted my post when I was only pointing out a technicality. blink.gif

Uronacid
post Jul 16 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jul 16 2009, 09:59 AM) *
Yes. After learning a bit on my own from resource sites; then helping dozens of people with their codes is how I learned. But I hardly see why you quoted my post when I was only pointing out a technicality. blink.gif

I don't know why I quoted you. I my brain got mixed up.

fixtatik
post Jul 17 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jul 16 2009, 09:47 AM) *

There's nothing wrong with using snippets of code. For example, if you see some JavaScript effect on a site and you don't know how to do it, use it from their site. If they don't specifically say that you need to do something in return, it doesn't entirely matter, because that code could have come from anywhere. Granted, there are limitations.

As for what exactly constitutes as "stealing" a website, it depends. I like Tim Van Damme's example, with his Wall of Fame vs. his Wall of Shame. Wall of Famers used his ideas as inspiration, and in most cases offered him a link back to his site as a source of inspiration. Wall of Shamers blatantly copied his work, pixel for pixel.

Personally, I believe if you see a site that you think looks good, and want to base your own site on that, go for it. Just make it entirely different and if you do use some ideas from your inspiration, give a link back. It's only courteous.

QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jul 16 2009, 04:03 AM) *

I think it's actually March 1st, 1989, when the US joined the Berne Convention. True, it's not required, but you stand nearly no chance in a court of law if you don't include a copyright notice.

(d) Evidentiary Weight of Notice. — If a notice of copyright in the form and position specified by this section appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant's interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in the last sentence of section 504©(2).

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap4.html#401

QUOTE( @ Jul 16 2009, 01:36 AM) *
bo-ya!! you're awesome fixatik! i read that somewhere but i don't remember if it was 70 years or 40 years..xD oh well 70 sounds better. so all my designs i copyrighted are mine so i can go around kicking some ballz yay!

Unless you actually registered with the copyright office, there's not much you can do except ask your work to be taken down, or use some kind of "wall of shame" or similar action. Works not registered won't hold up in court.

Uronacid
post Jul 17 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #41

There's nothing wrong with using snippets of code. For example, if you see some JavaScript effect on a site and you don't know how to do it, use it from their site. If they don't specifically say that you need to do something in return, it doesn't entirely matter, because that code could have come from anywhere. Granted, there are limitations.

As for what exactly constitutes as "stealing" a website, it depends. I like Tim Van Damme's example, with his Wall of Fame vs. his Wall of Shame. Wall of Famers used his ideas as inspiration, and in most cases offered him a link back to his site as a source of inspiration. Wall of Shamers blatantly copied his work, pixel for pixel.

Again, you really can't do anything about it aside from obtaining copyrights, commenting your code, and watermarking your work. You have no control over other people. I don't know why people sweat so much over someone taking their code when they've plastered it all over the internet without any protection.

I'm a graphic designer and coder as well. You as well as I know that static content doesn't mean shit these days anyway, and if you're bitching about it then you're crying over spilt milk. Dynamic code is rarely hacked and stolen.

fixtatik
post Jul 17 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #42

^ Exactly. Without protection, you're screwed. Just because something is copyrighted doesn't mean people are going to respect it.

I'm not fond of dynamic code, though. While it's "safer" in regards to keeping it out of the hands of developer wannabes, it's terrible for people who are looking for organic growth. Session variables aren't archived in search engines, not everyone has JavaScript enabled, and if you use it exclusively, it can lead to server overload.

res8zenith
post Jul 17 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #43

-silence- laugh.gif

jiyong
post Jul 17 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #44

사랑해 ~ 我愛你 ♥

Group: Design Staff
Member No: 492,587

To the original question, most of the time, I don't bother trying to get them to take it down. It's too much hassle and emotional energy for me, and at any rate, there will always be another jocker, no matter how many you take down. There was this one site I visited that didn't even bother to take of the credit and still claimed it as their own. d:

res8zenith
post Jul 17 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #45

i know it requires emotional energy but sometimes i just get so angry, the numbers are unlimited but i still try to get ppl to credit, no matter whose material they are using, it doesn't have to be mine, i've found some sites use my affiliates material without credited, and i mail them letting them know to always credit.

the only way to lose the stealers to to shut down the site, because
even if you only offer previews of the real design, people get the idea
and use it.

goofipinay
post Jul 17 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #46

can't believe I let people call me Lynne on here 5 yrs ago o

Member No: 54,591

I use stuff, but I leave the credits
it's all in the time
don't have time to make my own
don't have time to get bitched at for taking it off
meh, whatev.

Zerobang
post Aug 6 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #47

Member No: 732,343

Stealing Images is one thing but stealing a code? Unless you typed from the first letter to the last, well yeah i can understand that.

JupiterShow
post Aug 17 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #48

Member No: 742,349

QUOTE(IWontRapeYou @ Jul 15 2009, 09:54 PM) *

That's like saying it's okay to steal a piece of writing off someone since they didn't invent the English language. It doesn't matter if we "invented" code we still manipulated tags to do what we want and we own that.

I hope that made sense I'm sleepy.

As for what to do when you find someone stealing your work, I'd just ask them to take it down and if they say no and they're not making money out of it I wouldn't take it further since it's a waste of time. If you're worried about people thinking your stealing work you could add a disclaimer to the designs in question, saying that you're aware it's been stolen and hopefully people will believe you :)

innerdemon25
post Aug 21 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #49

Member No: 697,160

Lol, I totally agree with you on that part, because I mean yeah sure it can be upsetting but you cant really do anything. Ive received many messages before about me "stealing codes" because codes can be some what similar. They literally said to me that they were going to take legal actions against me if I continue to use their copyrighted code. Which makes no sense there is no copy righting code. Thats like saying im going to copyright the breaker code and no one can use it unless they pay me for it. which dumb people like that really get on my nerves. Designs however can be copyrighted, its a piece of art that you created unlike code, which is premade.

-Brandon Lagenour
-Revolutions Designs

outloudinmyhead
post Sep 17 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #50

Member No: 746,276

I have a question. I'm still really new at all of this design stuff and learning to code from scratch. Prior to this, I came on here and basically just added snippets from the createblog donated content and basically browsed by firebug for a certain effect I liked and copied, pasted, and then editted it up to my liking and to better fit my purpose using the stuff I DO know and further have learned to identify things on MySpace and how to manipulate more or less in CSS to hide only specific headers and that various bunch of stuff. (Never stolen someones full on code because I do think it's wrong to take away from a layout setup or website setup by completely duplicating it for yourself and only shows your own lack of creativity, and further ends you in being called out if you rip a code. I let codes inspire me.

But, ok, like I said, I'm a beginner in designer in the bigger picture. Can't use flash, jquery or any off that awesome jazz and any javascript I use is via donations on a site when browsing google for an effect I'd like to incorporate, only to end up deleting portions because I don't understand enough about it to force them to cooperate together.

Well, that being said and establishing that I am still new to all of this, I am wondering something.

A lot of my work is done with other people's brushes, and a majority of them don't contain an image in the set or any way to identify who made the set.

I find them via browsing deviant art, various forums who post image packs of nice brushes that I define as a brush, brusheezy and etc. I'm a resource hog and have loads upon loads of brushes and styles and etc that I've found 'round and about. On DeviantArt, I think many expect you to just "remember" where you got the set...and honestly, I don't generally use something until creativity sparks and I go through my resources and by then I DON'T remember who made it or where I even got it for that matter. What should one do in a case such as this?

Furthermore, sometimes when you directly DO link your resources from where you got something and someone who likes the design you did, often goes and gets the set and it further enables them to exactly duplicate your work and offer it elsewhere. And before you know it, the entire community has designated the effect a trend...and it's everywhere. As flattering as it can be, it's maddening.(Something done far too often in design communities)

So...how should creditting be handled in the case of brushes and designer beginners like myself?

And no I don't plan to forever depend on brushes to do things, but I'm simply a graphics maker, not a big time designer. When I find my footing, I do hope to do my own designs from complete scratch.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: