Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Global Warming is an International Issue
makhussy
post Dec 1 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 754,070

Global Warming - The average facade temperature of the globe has augmented more than 1 degree Fahrenheit since 1900 and the speed of warming has been almost three folds the century long average since 1970. This increase in earth’s average temperature is called Global warming.

sixfive
post Dec 1 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

no it's not shut the f*ck up

Maccabee
post Dec 1 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #3

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

no it's not shut the f*ck up

It's one degree. Who cares. The weather is a little different every year. I'm sure all those Coloradans could use a break from the snow either way. And it's 110 degrees in texas every year.

Who cares, so what. -Lady from the view.

HeartOfPandora
post Dec 1 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #4

i like boobies, yes I do. I like boobies - how 'bout you?

Member No: 662,457

Tbh, I like this global warming thing.

I rather prefer this mild, late starting winter to ones where it'd be about 0 degrees right about now. And maybe this year it won't get to -30 when I'm trying to f*cking walk to school or -40 when I've got plans.

BamBamBoogie
post Dec 1 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #5

Member No: 484,926

I agree it is an international issue as it affects multiple nations. Smh, people he didn't ask if global warming was good or bad, or if you like it. You may want to read the topic...

Kontroll
post Dec 10 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #6

Jake - The Unholy Trinity / Premiscuous Poeteer.

Member No: 411,316

Global warming is not this issue anymore. If you knew your facts its "Climate Change" now. Not to mention, this whole issue was presented by am man who believes he invented the internet.

The earth goes through gradual climate shifts. Its a natural occurance. It's been happening even before the age of industry, and will continue to change. Sure I'm sure man has little to do with it, but the shifts are caused naturally. Read up little one.

Don't believe everything the tooth fairy tells you.

kristendee
post Dec 10 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #7

Member No: 723,159

There's all this talk about it and nothing is being done. I live in the north, this time of the year it should be snowing none stop...but it was raining the other day. Whatever, I like warmer weather...

Kontroll
post Dec 10 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(kristendee @ Dec 10 2009, 10:04 AM) *
There's all this talk about it and nothing is being done. I live in the north, this time of the year it should be snowing none stop...but it was raining the other day. Whatever, I like warmer weather...

Global warming has nothing to do with local weather changes. At least not in that sense of the matter.

You will find that it will bring more devastating consequences instead of different precipitation.

kristendee
post Dec 10 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Member No: 723,159

QUOTE(Kontroll @ Dec 10 2009, 07:13 AM) *
Global warming has nothing to do with local weather changes. At least not in that sense of the matter.

You will find that it will bring more devastating consequences instead of different precipitation.

What has it got to do with then?

Explain it to me.

Kontroll
post Dec 10 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(kristendee @ Dec 10 2009, 10:26 AM) *
What has it got to do with then?

Explain it to me.

I just did. You will find there will be more devastating consequences instead of differences in precipitation.

i.e. more hurricanes, a rise in evaporation, more rainfall, and so on.

sixfive
post Dec 10 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #11

Here are a few things to note:

The past 100 years we've been coming out of a mini ice age.
Mount Pinatubo erupted about twenty years ago putting more particles into the air than man had since the start of the Industrial Revolution. We must be of major consequence! I mean, the earth only has a volcano once in a thousand years erupt and there are no other natural occurrences that could impact the atmosphere!
We as man would be incredibly arrogant to think we could change the atmosphere of the planet based on industry here and there.
Some places are getting colder, must be global warming.
Cycles. The earth goes through cycles of warmth and cold. This has been happening since we can date back, and it's not about to change.

Another thing that's kinda a fun fact? Idk:

Say the earth gets warmer. Say ice caps start melting. That's cold water that's going to be moving south and north from the north pole and south pole respectively. That cold water will act as a sort of barrier that's expanding from the poles, and will alter the currents in the atlantic, pacific, indian, etc. When the currents change, lots of things change, notably weather. The earth will in turn stop sending warmer currents/air fronts far south and north, and then the area will get colder again! When it gets colder, the ice re-freezes, the currents return to normal, the air goes back to normal, rinse repeat?

Kontroll
post Dec 10 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(serotonin @ Dec 10 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Here are a few things to note:

The past 100 years we've been coming out of a mini ice age.
Mount Pinatubo erupted about twenty years ago putting more particles into the air than man had since the start of the Industrial Revolution. We must be of major consequence! I mean, the earth only has a volcano once in a thousand years erupt and there are no other natural occurrences that could impact the atmosphere!
We as man would be incredibly arrogant to think we could change the atmosphere of the planet based on industry here and there.
Some places are getting colder, must be global warming.
Cycles. The earth goes through cycles of warmth and cold. This has been happening since we can date back, and it's not about to change.

Another thing that's kinda a fun fact? Idk:

Say the earth gets warmer. Say ice caps start melting. That's cold water that's going to be moving south and north from the north pole and south pole respectively. That cold water will act as a sort of barrier that's expanding from the poles, and will alter the currents in the atlantic, pacific, indian, etc. When the currents change, lots of things change, notably weather. The earth will in turn stop sending warmer currents/air fronts far south and north, and then the area will get colder again! When it gets colder, the ice re-freezes, the currents return to normal, the air goes back to normal, rinse repeat?

You got that source? Sounds like an interesting read. :)

sixfive
post Dec 11 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #13

I did a couple years ago when I wrote all my global warming, I mean climate change, papers. Now I'm way past done with my science cores and don't really have any sources anymore. The thing about Mt. Pinatubo was released by the USGS though, so I'd say that's fairly credible.

NoSex
post Dec 11 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #14

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(serotonin @ Dec 10 2009, 01:54 PM) *

actually, the evidence is very clear in demonstrating that our co2 output is changing the atmosphere, & rapidly. our pollution is very aggressive & is upsetting the balance of nature (this is what is most important, the actual disruption of the natural cycles of the earth). &, since everything in nature is so intimately connected, each area of mistreatment (from the destruction of natural rivers, deforestation, the burning of fossil fuels, and the poisoning of water supply) exasperates problems all over the globe.

read this: http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-...l-emissions.htm

"As for human CO2 emissions, about 40% is being absorbed, mostly by the oceans. The rest remains in the atmosphere. As a consequence, atmospheric CO2 is at its highest level over the past 800,000 years (Brook 2008). A natural change of 100ppm takes 5,000 to 20,000 years. The recent increase of 100ppm has taken just 120 years."

"Emissions of CO2 by human activities are currently more than 130 times greater than the quantity emitted by volcanoes, amounting to about 27 billion tonnes per year." [1]

there is no precedent for this sort of rapid and trending atmospheric co2 increase. we know that co2 increases warm the globe. we know that the globe is warming. we know that we are putting out a significant amount of co2 & upsetting the earth's natural recycling of co2 & making the earth less capable of dealing with co2 by the force of environmental destruction (specifically deforestation). placing significant restrictions on our greenhouse output, preventing further environmental devastation, and supporting environmental reconstruction can help to reverse this trend.

sixfive
post Dec 11 2009, 02:55 AM
Post #15

Nate didn't we have this discussion in the other Global Warming thread? I've kinda gotten to a point with you where I accept that you're going to think things your way and I'll think things my way and we won't have many shared opinions shrug.gif

NoSex
post Dec 11 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #16

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(serotonin @ Dec 11 2009, 01:55 AM) *
Nate didn't we have this discussion in the other Global Warming thread? I've kinda gotten to a point with you where I accept that you're going to think things your way and I'll think things my way and we won't have many shared opinions shrug.gif

uhm, no? you're ignoring a tremendous deal of evidence &, worse, you're pretending to have some sort of insight into man's ability to change his environment. i think you're severely ignorant in this matter & have no real understanding of the level of devastation we have wrought upon our home.

i use to be much more skeptical of global warming, because i use to think penn & teller were great dudes. but, i did a lot of research for myself & found that i was severely mistaken, as were penn & teller. i don't believe i have argued this point on this forum yet, given my conversion.

brooklyneast05
post Dec 11 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #17

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

maybe you're thinking of me steven, i can't remember if nate was debating in there much. we went at it and have opposite views of global warming. especially since apparently we'd both just come out of writing major papers on this, but our research led us to completely different conclusions.

i'm a lot more moderate on this than i used to be for some reason. maybe just because it's been a few years since i studied it, and my classes in geology all reinforced periods of warming and cooling. since that geology class though i haven't got back and researched more like i should.

i'm still on the side though that humans do have an impact, and regardless of whether that impact is a huge immediate threat or not, it's one that needs to be changed asap because it isn't going in any good direction.

sixfive
post Dec 11 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #18

My mistake, then, Nate. I understand opposing viewpoints, I just don't agree with them. I've listed tons of shit in the other thread, and frankly right now I'm just lazy. Idk I think the topic's been beaten to death in me and I don't see much good in arguing the point anymore.

StrideEmpty
post Dec 18 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #19

Member No: 753,213

Scary O_o.

Uronacid
post Jan 12 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #20

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

QUOTE(serotonin @ Dec 11 2009, 02:20 PM) *
My mistake, then, Nate. I understand opposing viewpoints, I just don't agree with them. I've listed tons of shit in the other thread, and frankly right now I'm just lazy. Idk I think the topic's been beaten to death in me and I don't see much good in arguing the point anymore.

Dude, Nate's a total whore for the media. If Al Gore had a lactating tit he'd suck it. I ignore his comments most of the time.

sixfive
post Jan 12 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #21

i was driving around houston the other day and i saw some dusty van and someone had written in the dust:

"Global Warming?

Sure, Al"

Also I find it funny that there have been questions about why it's been so cold this year and scientists are saying things like "Oh... Well, there are cycles of warm and cold..."

NO f*ckING SHIT history of the earth wtf is global warming anyway

Uronacid
post Jan 12 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #22

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

QUOTE(serotonin @ Jan 12 2010, 12:54 PM) *
i was driving around houston the other day and i saw some dusty van and someone had written in the dust:

"Global Warming?

Sure, Al"
Also I find it funny that there have been questions about why it's been so cold this year and scientists are saying things like "Oh... Well, there are cycles of warm and cold..."

NO f*ckING SHIT history of the earth wtf is global warming anyway

Yeah, exactly. I believe there are cycles as well.

While I don't like the idea of polluting the earth, I honestly don't believe that pollution is the missing factor behind our changing climate.

I believe there are extremists who want so badly to put an end to pollution that they'll find any means to do it, and Global Warming is the vehicle that they've decided to hold on to. Whether these extremists are wrong or right is irrelevant. Everything is based on supporting evidence. None of this evidence proves the theory that pollution is the primary reason for Global Warming is fact. In fact there are many other opposing theories that are just as logical. To this day you still have to accept the theory of pollution based Global Warming on faith.

mipadi
post Jan 12 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #23

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jan 12 2010, 02:11 PM) *
I believe there are extremists who want so badly to put an end to pollution that they'll find any means to do it, and Global Warming is the vehicle that they've decided to hold on to. Whether these extremists are wrong or right is irrelevant. Everything is based on supporting evidence. None of this evidence proves the theory that pollution is the primary reason for Global Warming is fact. In fact there are many other opposing theories that are just as logical. To this day you still have to accept the theory of pollution based Global Warming on faith.

[Citation needed]

No, I'm serious. I'm not categorically stating you're wrong, but I think it's ironic that you say "everything is based on supporting evidence" in the same post in which you don't actually provide any evidence to support your claims. You also referred to Nate as a "media whore", and yet he's one of the few people in the Debate forum who still posts links to actual articles, videos, and other sources.

The Debate forum isn't a place to post what you think, it's a post to make an argument based on logic and reasoning.

I don't mean to sound harsh. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just pointing out that you've made some dubious claims without any evidence whatsoever to support them. It's hard to respond to your claims if you're not even going to make a token effort to provide your sources for analysis.

Mikeplyts
post Jan 13 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #24

Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 676,291

Global warming has happened before, global cooling has happened before. Shit in the Earth's core gets all funky and changes. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

sixfive
post Jan 13 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jan 12 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Global warming has happened before, global cooling has happened before. Shit in the Earth's core gets all funky and changes. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

lol

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: