Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Master Debater
HoodNigga
post Mar 19 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #26

Yup thats my girlfriend.

Group: Banned
Member No: 513,693

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 19 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Was that Fae who claimed our country is not in recession, when it clearly is? If so... I rest my case.

We ain't in a recession? Surely she wasn't being serious. The streets is starving right now. Its looking gully down here.

*paperplane*
post Mar 19 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #27

There's more than one definition, so it completely depends on how you look at it.

illriginal
post Mar 20 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #28

Group: Official Member
Member No: 455,274

QUOTE(paperplane @ Mar 20 2008, 12:58 AM) *
There's more than one definition, so it completely depends on how you look at it.

They're generally the same sweety. downturn is a term used when the stock drops, then the next day or even the next week it goes right back up and stays stable.

It's like a bobbing lure. When you throw the fishin line into the water, the bob (the red/white plastic ball that keeps the lure from sinkin) goes underwater, then pops back up again and it bobs up and down until it finally stabilizes.

recession on the other hand is like grasping at straws, you're sinking into a quick sand trap. You struggle tryin to keep your body above the trap, but no matter how much you try to stay up, you still sink. this has been happening for a long time.

And what people should realize is... that the economy effects classes from the bottom up. So people who are low class get hit first then as the economy worsens it goes up the latter of classes.

So people like us who can even afford a PC have no perception of this recession because it hasn't effected us yet.

Take a look at those bargain traders, homes, boats, vehicles etc... those are properties from people who could no longer afford their property. And this all started to become bad 2 years into the war... and it has been gettin worst and worst.

*Steven*
post Mar 20 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(HoodNigga @ Mar 19 2008, 11:42 PM) *
We ain't in a recession? Surely she wasn't being serious. The streets is starving right now. Its looking gully down here.

KC you live in the suburbs.

*paperplane*
post Mar 20 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Mar 20 2008, 01:50 AM) *
They're generally the same sweety. downturn is a term used when the stock drops, then the next day or even the next week it goes right back up and stays stable.

It's like a bobbing lure. When you throw the fishin line into the water, the bob (the red/white plastic ball that keeps the lure from sinkin) goes underwater, then pops back up again and it bobs up and down until it finally stabilizes.

recession on the other hand is like grasping at straws, you're sinking into a quick sand trap. You struggle tryin to keep your body above the trap, but no matter how much you try to stay up, you still sink. this has been happening for a long time.

And what people should realize is... that the economy effects classes from the bottom up. So people who are low class get hit first then as the economy worsens it goes up the latter of classes.

So people like us who can even afford a PC have no perception of this recession because it hasn't effected us yet.

Take a look at those bargain traders, homes, boats, vehicles etc... those are properties from people who could no longer afford their property. And this all started to become bad 2 years into the war... and it has been gettin worst and worst.

I can do without the patronization. I know what I'm talking about. (Which would be recessions, not downturns. Not the same thing. Downturn can lead to recession, but if there's downturn it doesn't necessarily mean there is recession.)

I'm not talking about what a recession is like, I'm talking about what a recession is. Regardless of similies, regardless of the economy's effect on people, technically speaking there's still a case to be made in economic terms to say that we aren't in a recession.

illriginal
post Mar 20 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(paperplane @ Mar 20 2008, 10:03 AM) *
I can do without the patronization. I know what I'm talking about. (Which would be recessions, not downturns. Not the same thing. Downturn can lead to recession, but if there's downturn it doesn't necessarily mean there is recession.)

I'm not talking about what a recession is like, I'm talking about what a recession is. Regardless of similies, regardless of the economy's effect on people, technically speaking there's still a case to be made in economic terms to say that we aren't in a recession.

reˇcesˇsion 1 (rĭ-sěsh'ən) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. The act of withdrawing or going back.
2. An extended decline in general business activity, typically two consecutive quarters of falling real gross national product.

3. The withdrawal in a line or file of participants in a ceremony, especially clerics and choir members after a church service.

Whatever... I'm not gonna argue this, I've made my point. I'd advise you take a look at the stocks for 1 month and there's your proof. It'll be the same as gasoline but the opposite. If there's downturns constantly with no upturn (going back above the original number prior to downturn) then you start to get into recession. But if there's downturns then upturns, then it's basically an everyday downturn.

*paperplane*
post Mar 20 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #32

In economic terms. I'd quote you what I mean, but I can't find my econ notes..

Whatever, this is off topic. Needless to say Tamtam is far from my favorite debater.

illriginal
post Mar 20 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(paperplane @ Mar 20 2008, 11:49 AM) *
In economic terms. I'd quote you what I mean, but I can't find my econ notes..

Whatever, this is off topic. Needless to say Tamtam is far from my favorite debater.

Only because you can't prove me wrong and I have an army's worth of economists to back up my claims. =\

Here you go, princess.

Recession in terms of economy and economy only:

A significant decline in activity spread across the economy, lasting longer than a few months. It is visible in industrial production, employment, real income and wholesale-retail trade. The technical indicator of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by a country's gross domestic product (GDP).

Why do you think Bush gave us another $300-$1,200 on top of our tax returns? =\

*paperplane*
post Mar 20 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #34

You know, I think you create your own problems when it comes to debating girls.

And no. You said you were done arguing with me first (ha!), so really not being able to prove you wrong has nothing to do with anything. Especially as it wasn't my goal; I'm not saying there isn't a recession, just that it's not unreasonable to say so.

Not enjoying your debates has nothing to do with this particular one; even when I'm not the one arguing with you, I still don't enjoy reading your posts.

illriginal
post Mar 20 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(paperplane @ Mar 20 2008, 01:37 PM) *
And no. You said you were done arguing with me first (ha!)

bah!, you're right!

brooklyneast05
post Mar 20 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #36

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

anyway

demolished
post Mar 20 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #37

Group:
Member No: 8,001

I love fae's posts.

she knows how to state her opinions and beliefs better than everyone else. other than that, she has a great personality with the right attitude toward everything !

illriginal
post Mar 20 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Fist @ Mar 20 2008, 08:11 PM) *
I love fae's posts.

she knows how to state her opinions and beliefs better than everyone else. other than that, she has a great personality with the right attitude toward everything !

I agree... she's cool people and a good debater.

ersatz
post Mar 20 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #39

Ms. Granger

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 165,238

You were just complaining about her...

Tung
post Mar 20 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #40

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

^ True.

Yeah, that was quite the 360 Tama. mellow.gif

illriginal
post Mar 20 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #41

no i was complaining about how i should have stood my ground and not let fae win me over on the debate about recession.

Sumiaki
post Mar 21 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #42

NO WAI! R u Srs?

Group: Member
Member No: 28,094

I totally remember Kryogenix back in 2004-2005 with his Ness Avatar, I believe. Him and this debate thread has actually influenced me into taking debate in high school around that same time.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was him and fae always debating against each other. I would actually like to see kryogenix become more active in this thread. He is my e-DebatorHero. Lul.

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Mar 22 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #43

i would probably say Brandon, ersatz, and NoSex because i think
QUOTE(superstitious @ Mar 19 2008, 03:47 PM) *
They present their arguments logically and don't push their opinions on others.

imo.

demolished
post Mar 22 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #44

Group:
Member No: 8,001

Are you freaking serious? She was one of my favorite people who inspire me to always wanting to join the debate team in my freshman year, participate in discussion, socratic seminar, and class argumentative at school.

Not to mention, Justin, Anna, and the rest of other people were the factor to where I am now.

I'm glad these popular debaters along with rest of unpopular ones brought an amazing influence to the debate forum. I read like every topic out there and it helped me so much on essay, through school, and finals because what I learn in the debate were "general knowledge" or familiarity.

At the same time, I gotten much more bitcher with my impatience.

But now, I'm falling apart in my "debate world" at school since the people left. A lot of the NEW arguments, topic, and issues that I'm facing are challenging now. I never had these previous exposures to recent issues because everyone in createblog are gone.

Spirited Away
post Apr 9 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #45

Quand j'étais jeune...

Member No: 1,272

I'm sorry I've neglected this forum for so long; I've been busy with work and........ well... gaming.

Anyway, at the time I made the comment about the economy not in a recession: it wasn't (or did you want to debate otherwise?). And guess what? It still isn't. Just because consumer confidence is low doesn't mean it's a recession =) However, with reading the papers and whatnot, things certainly do not look good on all fronts (how unfortunate). We won't truly know until those slowpokes at NBER make some kind of announcement, but even then, my views aligned with many other economists (having read their reports, which proves I rarely think for myself).

It ain't over til the fat lady sings, ladies and gents. Though, I hope she keeps her mouth shut for everyone's sake.

I hope you guys are doing great and having an awesome time with life.

I'll check back to see if you wanted to debate whether we were in a recession at the time I claimed we were not.

*paperplane*
post Apr 9 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #46

Aw yay Fae! Good day for cB, with more than one smart person appearing!

Spirited Away
post Apr 9 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #47

Quand j'étais jeune...

Member No: 1,272

Hi and thank you.

I had a hard time finding the debate forum. I thought it was closed down or something.

illriginal
post Apr 10 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(Spirited Away @ Apr 10 2008, 12:24 AM) *
I'll check back to see if you wanted to debate whether we were in a recession at the time I claimed we were not.

Recession started only a few days prior to you claiming or fae claimin.. whatever the username is now, that it wasn't. And I stopped debating it because I thought, "maybe fae's right" but now I know I was and I am right.

*paperplane*
post Apr 10 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Tamacracker @ Apr 10 2008, 01:04 PM) *
but now I know I was and I am right.

Bitch please.

illriginal
post Apr 10 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(paperplane @ Apr 10 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Bitch please.

Bitch please? You didn't even know what recession was after I posted the definition. Then when you realized it... you kept quiet. rolleyes.gif

Stick to your highschool education and leave the adult conversations to adults.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: