Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should The "N" word be banned from the English language?
Rating 2 V
BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #26

Group: Member
Member No: 484,926

Hmm...

well it seems as though Im not proving my point effectively so Im just gonna say agree to disagree. I just feel as though we shouldnt continue to justify racial terms as words because they've been around for a while. The berlin wall was around for a while but it got torn down. The history is still there, of course you cant erase it, but efforts were made to ease the pain of the harm caused by it. It would be more comforting for an individual to open a dictionary without seeing words such as "cracker" and "n****er" or "Negro" or whatever.

I do want to say that you all made very good points and I appreciate the participation in this debate. I just wish that more of you could understand my points better.

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #27

But taking down a physical object is completely different from getting rid of a word.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 12 2008, 05:26 PM) *
But taking down a physical object is completely different from getting rid of a word.

Not neccessarily. They both have some type of symbolic meaning. Keeping these words are like keeping a dog that bit your left butt cheek off lol. They both hurt whether its physical, emotional, or mental, it hurts. Removing the reminder is one step towards soothing some of that pain.

dosomethin888
post Nov 12 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #29

Member No: 663,413

nope. its a word and we have freedom to say it.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 12 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #30

tell me more.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 35,640

first, i dont think its possible to BAN a word.
second, i dont like the word nor do i use it, but it is what some people use to express a thought or feeling so who am i to tell them they can't say it.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 12 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 12 2008, 05:47 PM) *
nope. its a word and we have freedom to say it.

Did you even read the forum? blink.gif

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 05:35 PM) *
Not neccessarily. They both have some type of symbolic meaning. Keeping these words are like keeping a dog that bit your left butt cheek off lol. They both hurt whether its physical, emotional, or mental, it hurts. Removing the reminder is one step towards soothing some of that pain.

But the difference is that you cannot remove a word. Removing a word from the dictionary won't remove it from the vernacular. The Berlin Wall did have a symbolic meaning, but it wasn't just a symbolic meaning. It had a physical presence, that had a very direct effect on people's lives.

mipadi
post Nov 12 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #33

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

This sounds a lot like the "Newspeak" described in 1984. For those not familiar, the fictional government in 1984 removed words from the English language in an attempt to shape and forbid thoughts. In essence, you can't think and express something if you have no words to do so. And this is very true: studies of language have shown that people have different ideas based on their native language. For example, there's a tribe in the Amazon that doesn't have any words for numbers; in the 1800s, Christian missionaries tried to teach these people how to count, but they found it was impossible to teach the tribespeople how to count beyond 2 or 3, because they had no words for doing so in their native tongue.

But I think racial slurs are so entrenched in our language that there's no way to remove them, even if they aren't recognized as an actual word. So I'm against banning the word "n****er" from English because (a) I don't agree with censorship to begin with, and (b) it wouldn't work anyway.

synatribe
post Nov 12 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #34

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

the people who use the nword just look like idiots and the ones who dont use it are normal. If the nword gets "banned" then so should the f, s, etc words. I dont think it has the same impact as a derogatory term anymore because people who once fell victim to that word are using it like nothing? :]

coconutter
post Nov 12 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #35

omnomnom

Member No: 180,688

there is no word that can be "banned" words are ideas.

you can't take ideas from people, at the moment..

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 12 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #36

tell me more.

aberisk: its not true that the people currently using the n word were once victim of it.. if everyone today knew how awful it felt to be called that on the daily, this word would not be as common a slang term.

coconutter
post Nov 12 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #37

omnomnom

Member No: 180,688

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 12 2008, 10:03 PM) *
^its not true that the people currently using the n word were once victim of it.. if everyone today knew how awful it felt to be called that on the daily, this word would not be as common a slang term.

woahhh...huh?

i was just saying it's impossible to ban ideas (words are ideas), or rid of ideas unless the entire society has become extinct or we get some crazy technology

i truly doubt you're maliciously called n****er every day

if you are, I'd suggest moving

Harp
post Nov 12 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #38

Member No: 683,235

No matter what, you really can't stop someone from saying n****er. It shouldn't be removed from the English language, and the word doesn't always mean 'a black person'. I know someone, who is 100% NOT racist, and uses the word 'n****er' to describe a stupid person, no someone of any set race.

That's like wanting to ban CHink. CHink wasn't originally used to describe a person of chinese decent. It was used as another word for money, or a narrow opening.

Also, you've been asked not to double/triple post several times. I think it might be best not to do that again :D

AyeVickaye
post Nov 12 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #39

Member No: 682,013

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 12 2008, 01:07 PM) *
no it should not be banned. we don't ban other words, why ban it. besides it's not going to stop anyone from saying it.....

True dat and what RCKstarh said.

Tomates
post Nov 12 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #40

poison

Member No: 629,020

First of all how do you ban a word, i mean if you say it whats going to happen, so what if it gets banned people will probably just say it anyways and besides are we going to hire vocab police to make sure we dont say it or get punished if we do? Thats just ridiculous.

Face it, people are going to say it either offensivly or jokinly.

*paperplane*
post Nov 12 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #41

Do try reading the thread, people. It's only on the second page.

Tomates
post Nov 12 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #42

poison

Member No: 629,020

people are reading it, but there really isnt much to read of it except for everyones input. Afterall she posted by saying how people should think before saying it which really doesnt say much to me.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 12 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #43

tell me more.

QUOTE(coconutter @ Nov 12 2008, 05:19 PM) *
woahhh...huh?

i was just saying it's impossible to ban ideas (words are ideas), or rid of ideas unless the entire society has become extinct or we get some crazy technology

i truly doubt you're maliciously called n****er every day

if you are, I'd suggest moving

oops sorry i meant that for the post above you...

firechild
post Nov 12 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #44

BBM: 310ED181

Member No: 671,976

You can't ban a word.

Harp
post Nov 12 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #45

Member No: 683,235

QUOTE(MolecularStudios @ Nov 12 2008, 09:14 PM) *
You can't ban a word.

That's about as simple as it can be put.

sixfive
post Nov 12 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #46

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

QUOTE(MolecularStudios @ Nov 12 2008, 08:14 PM) *
You can't ban a word.

Sure you can. Go shout bomb in an airport.

dosomethin888
post Nov 12 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #47

Member No: 663,413

QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Nov 12 2008, 03:57 PM) *
Did you even read the forum? blink.gif

Ya I did.

fameONE
post Nov 12 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #48

^_^

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 91,466

rofl1.gif @ this topic.

Please stop victimizing Black people. It's not a good look.

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Nov 13 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #49

Drank wit your boy

Member No: 649,997

QUOTE(fameONE @ Nov 13 2008, 12:57 AM) *
rofl1.gif @ this topic.

Please stop victimizing Black people. It's not a good look.

Thought I was the only one who was snickering while reading this, now I don't feel so bad.

BamBamBoogie
post Nov 13 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 12 2008, 05:56 PM) *
first, i dont think its possible to BAN a word.
second, i dont like the word nor do i use it, but it is what some people use to express a thought or feeling so who am i to tell them they can't say it.

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Nov 12 2008, 07:54 PM) *
the people who use the nword just look like idiots and the ones who dont use it are normal. If the nword gets "banned" then so should the f, s, etc words. I dont think it has the same impact as a derogatory term anymore because people who once fell victim to that word are using it like nothing? :]

QUOTE(coconutter @ Nov 12 2008, 08:02 PM) *
there is no word that can be "banned" words are ideas.

you can't take ideas from people, at the moment..

QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 12 2008, 09:06 PM) *
First of all how do you ban a word, i mean if you say it whats going to happen, so what if it gets banned people will probably just say it anyways and besides are we going to hire vocab police to make sure we dont say it or get punished if we do? Thats just ridiculous.

Face it, people are going to say it either offensivly or jokinly.

QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 12 2008, 09:08 PM) *
people are reading it, but there really isnt much to read of it except for everyones input. Afterall she posted by saying how people should think before saying it which really doesnt say much to me.

QUOTE(MolecularStudios @ Nov 12 2008, 09:14 PM) *
You can't ban a word.

If one of your quotes is here, it is because your comments are pointless simply because they have already been brought up before. If you didn't read, please read. And if you have read it then that shows a lack of reading comprehension skills on your behalf if you did claim to have read previous remarks but still made points that have already been addressed.

QUOTE(YukkaPukka @ Nov 12 2008, 09:02 PM) *
No matter what, you really can't stop someone from saying n****er. It shouldn't be removed from the English language, and the word doesn't always mean 'a black person'. I know someone, who is 100% NOT racist, and uses the word 'n****er' to describe a stupid person, no someone of any set race.

Also, you've been asked not to double/triple post several times. I think it might be best not to do that again :D

Your first paragraph to me seemed a bit ignorant, and I do not mean to be at all offensive. If you know the definition of ignorant you'll understand how I don't mean to offend you. But anyway, I say that because anyone can change the connotation of a word. However, that does not change the denotation of the word which may be offensive or mean something completely different from what you may have intended. For example, people say cool all the time. The denotation is slightly colder than warm (my guess), while the connotation in a statement 'she's cool' is different. This doesn't change the fact that cool still means slightly colder thant warm, and this may cause someone who doesn't know what your connotation of the word cool is to think that you are crazy for calling someone slightly colder than warm. The same thing for the "N" word or any other offensive racial term. I can call a ball a n****er or any other offensive term. This doesn't mean that the definition is ball now. That is just a personal connotation of the word, and therefore cannot be considered valid definition.

Also, I was unaware of what double posting was because I'm new to the forums. But, i talked to an staff member and everything's worked out. I know how to use multiple quotes. thumbsup.gif biggrin.gif thumbsup.gif

And for the record, I am NOT victimizing African-Americans. I am myself an black male who is completely non-racist. I believe that all offensive racial terms should be done away with to ensure comfortability of all people. I am also proud to say that I am a proud member of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) which was actually started after the holocaust to prevent anti-semitism, racism, discrimination, etc. That is a reason why I am passionate about this topic.

The official Anti-Defamation League Website

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: