Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

23 Pages V  « < 21 22 23  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is masturbation a sin?, i herd it was im not sure
Is maturbating a sin?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 1054
Guests cannot vote 
Uronacid
post Jul 13 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #551

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

QUOTE(AutumnSunsets @ Jul 13 2009, 12:45 PM) *
depends on how you look at it. xD BE HAPPY, and do what you want to be happy, i know some ppl are cool with it, while others HATE it, i doubt its a sin, open your mind and ask yourself not others

It's not about opening your mind. Sins are directly related to religion. Generally, when people are referring to sins they're talking about the Christian, Catholic, or Jewish religions. This is about interpreting religion.

kryogenix
post Jul 13 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #552

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 29

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jul 13 2009, 09:43 AM) *
That bit of scripture is clearly subject to interpretation. Judah told Onan to help his brother by getting his brother's wife pregnant. Onan knew that the child would not be his own and wasted his seed so she would not get pregnant. I argue it was not "sexual stimulation outside of the context of reproduction" that angered the Lord, but it was the context in which he masturbated. He masturbated before sex so his sperm wouldn't be as potent. He didn't want to help his brother. He was being a jerk. It wasn't masturbation that angered the Lord. It was his actions towards his brother.

And this is why I don't believe in Sola Scriptura.

For example, do you believe homosexual behavior is sinful? If you were to list bible passages condemning homosexuality, I could use the same "interpretive" logic that you're using to show that the bible does not specifically condemn homosexuality. At the same time, there are a bunch of laws that ARE in the bible that Christians don't follow (like the one in that verse that tells dudes to impregnate their brother's wives). Homosexuality is not wrong because of some bible verse about Soddom and Gommorah, it is wrong because it is a misuse of sex acts. Masturbation is illicit for the same reason.

It was my mistake for trying to use that verse as support for my argument (though I see that post was made in 2006). There's more going on there than just masturbation, so it clouds the issue.

Let's ignore that verse from Genesis. If you look at the sin of masturbation using both scripture and tradition, it's easy to understand why what it's wrong. The fact of the matter is, God created sex for the purpose of procreation, and as a uniting act in the context of marriage. Masturbation is the simulation of sex which is done neither for procreation or to unite man and woman in the context of marriage.

Uronacid
post Jul 13 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #553

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Jul 13 2009, 02:00 PM) *
If you were to list bible passages condemning homosexuality, I could use the same "interpretive" logic that you're using to show that the bible does not specifically condemn homosexuality.

It was my mistake for trying to use that verse as support for my argument (though I see that post was made in 2006). There's more going on there than just masturbation, so it clouds the issue.

Scripture containing homosexuality is a little more direct then the scripture you've posted here however, I understand what you're trying to say and agree with it.

res8zenith
post Jul 13 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #554

Group: Member
Member No: 569,515

ehh i like to leave religion out of conversations, but i know what you mean, still in our day an age, where there's even a religion which believes in NO GOD OR GODS...

i think sin is what we make it out to be, under certain circumstances, humans can behave sinful without knowing it themselves and other times, there are groups of people impowered by rage or fueled by hatred to sin on grand scales, compared to this little thing, its more personal than anything, so you should decide weather you're fine with it, not fine at all, or decide in a given situation.

also, i know some of the older generations still look to god and religion for answers, but the younger generation, meaning 20-30 connects sin with country/national law, seek government guidance, if its legal or not, this masturbation falls under something more personal. or you can find some law or rule that states this is illegal, thus sinful if committed.

-DressYourEyelid...
post Jul 13 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #555

Member No: 727,246

no.

kryogenix
post Jul 13 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #556

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 29

Even taking religion out of the discussion, I still oppose masturbation.

I'm a big fan of self discipline, and becoming a slave to a physical activity that can lead to a chemical addiction (oxytocin in the brain) is not something I particularly desire. Masturbation is a sign of weakness.

PaigeTurner
post Jul 13 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #557

Member No: 735,738

I'll rub to about anything.

PaigeTurner
post Jul 13 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #558

Also, I agree with Autumn. I think right and wrong are the limits we have to place onto ourselves.

I'm down with anything so long as I am not physically or emotionally abusing anyone. I extend this to creatures of the animal kingdom as well. I'll gladly stick my head up your rear end, so long as it pleasures you.

res8zenith
post Jul 13 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #559

Member No: 569,515

QUOTE(PaigeTurner @ Jul 13 2009, 11:25 PM) *
Also, I agree with Autumn. I think right and wrong are the limits we have to place onto ourselves.

I'm down with anything so long as I am not physically or emotionally abusing anyone. I extend this to creatures of the animal kingdom as well. I'll gladly stick my head up your rear end, so long as it pleasures you.

it was all going so well, but WHAT IN ANIMAL KINDGOMS NAME did you have to add that last comment...

"I'll gladly stick my head up your rear end, so long as it pleasures you." again...WHAT THE FOCK??

PaigeTurner
post Jul 13 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #560

dribble.gif

Uronacid
post Jul 14 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #561

QUOTE(AutumnSunsets @ Jul 13 2009, 06:24 PM) *
ehh i like to leave religion out of conversations, but i know what you mean, still in our day an age, where there's even a religion which believes in NO GOD OR GODS...

i think sin is what we make it out to be, under certain circumstances, humans can behave sinful without knowing it themselves and other times, there are groups of people impowered by rage or fueled by hatred to sin on grand scales, compared to this little thing, its more personal than anything, so you should decide weather you're fine with it, not fine at all, or decide in a given situation.

So, essentially you believe that morals are relative to culture and/or individual. In that case I completely disagree. Morals must be held to a permanent standard or they'll corrode over time. You can already see the decay of our moral standards as a nation. People are conforming to a feel good moral code such as the one you describe.

also, i know some of the older generations still look to god and religion for answers, but the younger generation, meaning 20-30 connects sin with country/national law, seek government guidance, if its legal or not, this masturbation falls under something more personal. or you can find some law or rule that states this is illegal, thus sinful if committed.

I agree to a certain extant, but you shouldn't generalize as I'm only 23. I know that a large percentage of this country's younger generation is starting to look towards the gov't for answers. This trust in the gov't will ultimately lead to our demise as a nation. This just makes it easier for our gov't to advantage of its people. The current administration is a great perfect of this. It's unfortunate that so many people are letting the gov't put a cock in their ass.

Also, there are plenty of immoral actions that aren't against the law in this country.

23 Pages V  « < 21 22 23
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: