Reply to this topicStart new topic
Soulja Boy claims NAs Killed Hip-Hop, What do you think
What's you opinion?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 22 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 709,923

So I'm a huge Nas fan.
I think he's probably the greatest rappers/emcees of all time.
With his debut album illmatic he pulled a 5 mic rating which is the highest you can get from the source magazine. Since the 80's to today he's been consistent straying away from the mainstream style of music and doing his own thing. He's had platnium albums and plenty of hits and he speaks his mind on controvesial topics. He doesn't focus on jus gettin money and flaunting it and he focuses on puttin a message in his music not really there to make club bangers which he is capable of doing but his style he can switch up no matter what beat he's given he can ride it perfectly and still manages to get you to think when he drops a verse.

Soulja Boy on the other hand has a string of hits but he isn't really more than a young boy who rides on mainstream music following with club banger after club banger but can't really drop decent albums due to weak lyrics and constant repatition.

So i don't know what everyone else thinks but I think soulja boy has his thoughts in the wrong direction but I found this video of soulja boy talking about why he thinks Nas killed hip hop.
Honestly I think that Soulja boy is rather ignorant because the points he makes... makes no sense what so ever.

I'll let you all decide.

Soulja Boy Claims Nas Killed Hip-Hop.

Tramatize
post Jan 22 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Group: Official Member
Member No: 585,380

Soulja boy is just jealous.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 22 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #3

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i don't think he makes any good points if he's just saying that people started saying hip hop is dead because nas dropped hip hop is dead. nas didn't invent that phrase. people have been arguing about hip hop being dead and the state of it way before 2006.

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 22 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #4

What Nas meant by the comment "Hip-Hop is Dead" was the original meaning of hip hop and what it stood for is dead because everyone in the game or most people are goin main stream and all about gettin money whereas back when it was created it was an art and to get a message out.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 22 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #5

I'm Jc

you don't gotta worry about explaining to me what nas is talking about seasonal0.gif

i'm saying nas didn't just come up with the idea hip hop was drifting away from it's origin or dying all together on his own one day. soulja boy is acting like since nas started saying it that it caused people to start talking about who killed hip hop.

souja boy's whole point that nas killed it is bullshit because it's state was being debated prior to nas comin out with his whole hip hop is dead album. i don't think people only started discussing it because of nas puttin the idea in our heads.

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 22 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Tru tru

I gotta hand it to the east coast rappers though holdin it down up there especially NY
cause although music up there is slippin to the main stream you have soo many artists mainstream and underground who are still tryna hold on to their style and keep it real nah mean.
ex. AZ is prolly one of the most underrated rappers out there and he's still oldin it down up there.

fameONE
post Jan 23 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #7

^_^

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 91,466

Soulja Boy is garbage. There isn't much credibility to what he says. I wouldn't pay him any mind. If hiphop were to 'die,' minstrels like Soulja Boy, combined with industry politics would kill HER.

*KINGdinguhling*
post Jan 23 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #8

ever since nas come out with hiphop is dead, he just aint the same, although souljaboy shouldnt even be mentioned with him

brooklyneast05
post Jan 23 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #9

I'm Jc

untitled was miles above hip hop is dead album

hypnotique
post Jan 23 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

Soulja Boy needs to shut the f*ck up already and die with his walmart looking ass.

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 23 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #11

I still think nas is underrated in a sense because I hear how people heard his last album and said he jus hyped it up by callin it n****er but that's literally what he named it and changed it to allow it to be release but he said he wouldn't give it a title because everyone knew what the name was supposed to
the mix tape he released was named n****er instead.

on his album though he talks about alot of real stuff on there. but people aren't into that kinda music they jus wanna hear stuff bout money drugs and sex that's what's really sellin right now or soulja boy's style of music which is basically southern music and that's what nas took shots at southern rappers for because their style is blowin up but it's bsiclaly a heavy bass looping simple samples and creating a simple hook and then really simple rhymes jus something catchy. other than that there's nothin to it other than the newly included autotune and the collaboration of all the big names inthe south under DJ khaled's wing and DJ khaled isn't really anything but a guy whoyells cause he doesn't produce anything but he strings together cool dre and the runners and signs all them and then creates an album on which he screams we the best in the back ground and that's bout it.

Nas puts something in the music for you to listen to....and think about.
he can switch his style up on any beat and still rock it.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 23 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #12

I'm Jc

i don't think nas is anywhere near being underrated.

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 23 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #13

well maybe underrated is the wrong word but alot of people over look his talents in a sense because they aren't readily going to sit down listen to his music and try and understand what he says in it.
granted he's got a huge fan base and alot of people love his music style flow and messages
there's still alot of people who listen to him but ignore everything he says and jus look for punchlines or something. so not underrater prolyl more not readily understood

*KINGdinguhling*
post Jan 23 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #14

sounds like your stumbling on words just to sound informed

Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 23 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(KINGdinguhling @ Jan 23 2009, 05:20 PM) *
sounds like your stumbling on words just to sound informed

I'm jus speaking on things that i see and observe nah mean?
It may sound like I'm stumbling on words and all that but I wouldn't speak on it if I didn't know what I was talking bout.

fameONE
post Jan 23 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #16

^_^

For every controversial publicity stunt, poor beat selection, awful album art and jaded interview, Nasir Jones, the lyrical monster from Queens, drifts further and further away from Illmatic. What will it take for this man to do what he did with God's Son and just make a quality album without the nonsense? It's true that his most recent LP is a solid piece of work, and he does not disappoint by simply doing what he does best. But perhaps it would have been appreciated a lot more if he and his wife didn't promote it by wearing matching shirts with the word, "n****er," decorated with tacky rhinestones. After listening to the album, and admiring it as much as I do, he should have never wasted his time promoting it the way he did.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 23 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #17

I'm Jc

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM) *
But perhaps it would have been appreciated a lot more if he and his wife didn't promote it by wearing matching shirts with the word, "n****er," decorated with tacky rhinestones. After listening to the album, and admiring it as much as I do, he should have never wasted his time promoting it the way he did.

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Satyricon
post Jan 23 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #18

Member No: 710,950

Hip hop was killed when they stopped using classical and percussion instruments and just went on to random claps.

And it turned even worse when a load of people made a load of stupid videos following his stupid videos.

Crank that sponge bob.

Wtfoshizzle.

Dog.

hellotyra
post Jan 27 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #19

Member No: 662,588

Shiiiit,
Soulja Boy killed hip hop.

:/
fauck himmm.

*KINGdinguhling*
post Jan 27 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Satyricon @ Jan 23 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Hip hop was killed when they stopped using classical and percussion instruments and just went on to random claps.

Wrong, you MEANT to say acoustics

fameONE
post Jan 27 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #21

^_^

QUOTE(Satyricon @ Jan 24 2009, 07:44 AM) *

And it turned even worse when a load of people made a load of stupid videos following his stupid videos.

Crank that sponge bob.

Wtfoshizzle.

Dog.

FAIL

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Jan 30 2009, 01:34 AM
Post #22

Drank wit your boy

Group: Official Member
Member No: 649,997

Soulja Boy can do no wrong. _smile.gif

He is on point about Nozzle.

*paperplane*
post Jan 30 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #23

If Soulja Boy sucked less, I might pretend to care at least a little.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: