Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legalizing Marijuana
Rating 4 V
sixfive
post Feb 25 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #151

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

it's not that they cannot, it's that they don't need to. people smoke pot to get high, not to chain smoke, and the numbers you need to produce the damage to your lungs simply doesn't result from smoking pot. also with pot there are numerous ways to smoke it, many much cleaner than cigarettes

Comptine
post Feb 25 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #152

Sing to Me

Group: Member
Member No: 10,808

That's what I meant by they cannot smoke consistently. People can smoke packs of cigarettes in one day. That would equate to pounds of weed which seems excessive since you do get high from weed and it lasts longer than nicotine.

illriginal
post Feb 26 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #153

Group: Official Member
Member No: 455,274

QUOTE(Comptine @ Feb 25 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Weed still produces tar and damages your lungs.

Wrong. Marijuana produces, "resin". An organic material that dissipates and while doing so, also takes/picks up tar from tobacco (thus cleaning the lungs from tobacco tar if you're a cigarette/tobacco smoker). What you need to understand is that tobacco tar and marijuana resin are completely two different things.

Tobacco tar is a mixture of burned chemicals, artificial chemicals that is.

Marijuana resin on the other hand doesn't have artificial chemicals.

If you were to purchase those natural cigarettes which is just strictly natural tobacco with no chemicals added such as nicotine and other carcinogenic compounds ( which by the way, the typical cigarette has about 4,000 chemicals mixed into the tobacco. Unlike Marijuana which only has 1 natural active ingredient, "THC"), then you wouldn't have to worry about lung cancer. Because it's not the tobacco itself, it's the chemicals being added into tobacco that causes lung cancer.

However, people usually don't develop cancer or other lung diseases because they cannot smoke it as consistently as cigarettes.

Wrong again, there's people who smoke 10+ joints a day every day and have been smoking this way for 20+ years. IF anything, it is the "paper" that is being used to roll up marijuana that could ever cause any lung issues. But if marijuana was smoked directly from a pipe/bong/hookah, no way in hell would it harm you, unless you have a serious and rare allergic reaction from marijuana.

QUOTE(Comptine @ Feb 25 2009, 07:24 PM) *
That's what I meant by they cannot smoke consistently. People can smoke packs of cigarettes in one day. That would equate to pounds of weed which seems excessive since you do get high from weed and it lasts longer than nicotine.

Also you CANNOT equate cigarettes to joints. The only thing they have in common is the joint paper... that's it. Marijuana and cigarette tobacco is like comparing apples and oranges. One is chemically induced/engineered and the other is natural. You can say that 10 packs of cigarettes equal 1 marijuana joint... ok and how does it equate? You can't get high from cigarettes, at least not in the same sense as marijuana... they both taste different, they're both harvest/produced differently. So what exactly are we equating? Marijuana has been proven over and over again that it cannot cause lung cancer. It's impossible.. the resin a lone in your lungs doesn't even stay in your lungs, resin doesn't build up like tobacco tar because it's the chemicals in the tobacco that makes the tar build up in your lungs. Unlike resin, it easily breaks up.

Maccabee
post Feb 26 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #154

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

I think they should legalize it but only for the purpose of energy and whatother things it can make. Not getting high.

illriginal
post Feb 26 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #155

QUOTE(Comptine @ Dec 13 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Kinda. Smoking weed actually INCREASES your chances of cancer and various diseases. However, since most people don't smoke it as consistently as cigarettes, the effects are diminished.

This is also a false statement. Marijuana DECREASES your chances of cancer(s) and even diminishes certain diseases. I advise you to at least research marijuana studies and stop misinforming people. That's the primary problem with Americans in the first place, misinformation about almost everything that has ever existed are accepted with opened arms. stubborn.gif

Comptine
post Feb 26 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #156

Sing to Me

QUOTE(illmortal @ Feb 26 2009, 12:41 PM) *
This is also a false statement. Marijuana DECREASES your chances of cancer(s) and even diminishes certain diseases. I advise you to at least research marijuana studies and stop misinforming people. That's the primary problem with Americans in the first place, misinformation about almost everything that has ever existed are accepted with opened arms. stubborn.gif

Before you call me wrong, maybe you should realize that there is as much pro-weed propaganda as there is anti-weed propaganda. I actually support legalizing marijuana but I think it's stupid to have such blind faith in something or try to make it seem harmless.

Lighting up a joint will still produce smoke that will end up in your lungs, which is a very sensitive organ. The smoke will cause damage to the lungs. No matter how you go around it, smoking anything is bad for you because smoke will be produced. While the smoke from weed has been called "cleaner" and less harmful than tobacco smoke, there are some studies that have inconclusive data that show there is an INCREASED amount damage from weed. So, I am sorry for not reading the studies YOU do. And I'll advise you to not emulate weed as some miracle substances that can solve a ton of medical problems. I think the harms of weed are grossly exaggerated but there are dangers especially since there are contradicting studies.

*BOSS*
post Feb 26 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #157

QUOTE(illmortal @ Feb 26 2009, 09:41 AM) *

let me guess you read a random article that says weed prevents cancer? you know how many studies there are and how many how claims are made? you cant trust everything you read

NoSex
post Feb 26 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #158

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(illmortal @ Feb 26 2009, 11:41 AM) *

you have to ruin everything, don't you?

mipadi
post Feb 26 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #159

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(BOSS @ Feb 26 2009, 05:42 PM) *
let me guess you read a random article that says weed prevents cancer? you know how many studies there are and how many how claims are made? you cant trust everything you read

There actually was a pretty prominent study recently that showed that THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, can reduce lung cancer. Strange, I know, but if you read why, it makes sense.

But marijuana can also increase the risk of testicular cancer, too.

Simba
post Feb 26 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #160

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

QUOTE(mipadi @ Feb 26 2009, 06:45 PM) *
gg kevin

Comptine
post Feb 26 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #161

Sing to Me

I guess that means girls can smoke it up more than guys.

*paperplane*
post Feb 26 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #162

I guess that's the tradeoff for being able to drink less.

*BOSS*
post Feb 27 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #163

QUOTE(mipadi @ Feb 26 2009, 03:45 PM) *
There actually was a pretty prominent study recently that showed that THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, can reduce lung cancer. Strange, I know, but if you read why, it makes sense.

Cutting the growth in half =/= reduces the chances of lung cancer. Would you agree that you are better off not smoking at all?

mipadi
post Feb 27 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #164

QUOTE(BOSS @ Feb 27 2009, 02:09 AM) *
Cutting the growth in half =/= reduces the chances of lung cancer. Would you agree that you are better off not smoking at all?

There's this great thing called Google that can allow you to search for more details on whatever you want, but here is another article that goes more in-detail, and here's another one suggesting that marijuana may actually be a therapy for lung cancer.

So research suggests that marijuana might actually help fight lung cancer. But marijuana also can cause other problems (such as in the increased risk of testicular cancer), so maybe it's not such a great thing.

Then again, what do you mean by "better off"? Smoking pot can be, well, fun. And I adhere strongly to the belief that nothing in moderation is bad.

I mean, I'd be better off not riding in a car, right? Because there are way more traffic fatalities every year than deaths from smoking pot. I'd be better off not drinking soda from plastic bottles, or eating margarine, too, because both of those may cause cancer. But I still do it.

illriginal
post Feb 27 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #165

QUOTE(mipadi @ Feb 26 2009, 06:45 PM) *

So can sex.

illriginal
post Feb 27 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #166

QUOTE(Comptine @ Feb 26 2009, 05:37 PM) *
Before you call me wrong, maybe you should realize that there is as much pro-weed propaganda as there is anti-weed propaganda. I actually support legalizing marijuana but I think it's stupid to have such blind faith in something or try to make it seem harmless.

Lighting up a joint will still produce smoke that will end up in your lungs, which is a very sensitive organ. The smoke will cause damage to the lungs. No matter how you go around it, smoking anything is bad for you because smoke will be produced. While the smoke from weed has been called "cleaner" and less harmful than tobacco smoke, there are some studies that have inconclusive data that show there is an INCREASED amount damage from weed. So, I am sorry for not reading the studies YOU do. And I'll advise you to not emulate weed as some miracle substances that can solve a ton of medical problems. I think the harms of weed are grossly exaggerated but there are dangers especially since there are contradicting studies.

Marijuana by itself... out of a pipe or a bowl or bong... CANNOT put you in any form of risk in lung cancer. And I can emulate marijuana as some miracle substance that can in FACT solve a ton of medical problems.

Are you bi-polar? Smoke marijuana
Have glaucoma? Smoke marijuana
Have asthma? Smoke marijuana
Need to quit smoking cigarettes because it's indagering your health and it's a horrible addiction? Smoke marijuana because it'll even clean your lungs out from the tobacco tar.
Have ADD/ADHD? Smoke marijuana
Are you in chemotherapy and having horrible pain plus cannot hold food down? Smoke marijuana
Have a lot of stress? Smoke marijuana
Have lack of appetite? Smoke marijuana
Having muscle spasms or muscular pain? Smoke marijuana
Have a fever? Smoke marijuana
Need a sleep aid? Smoke marijuana
Have Parkinson's disease? Smoke marijuana
Have Alzheimer's disease? Smoke marijuana
Have lung cancer? Smoke marijuana
Have a brain tumor? Smoke marijuana
Have multiple sclerosis? Smoke marijuana
Have damaged brain cells? Smoke marijuana
Have any form of neurological disorder? Smoke marijuana
Have a horrible hang over and feel nausea? Smoke marijuana

lol Would you like me to keep going? I've studied some of the greatest strains of marijuana in a chem lab. Independent research/study > mainstream. I wish I had a scanner, I'd scan my whole Chem research Journal up in here just to prove my stance on marijuana. Look up USA today, NY time, LA times, the Herald etc... they've all had articles about marijuana being the miracle herb.

*BOSS*
post Feb 27 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #167

QUOTE(mipadi @ Feb 27 2009, 07:39 AM) *
There's this great thing called Google that can allow you to search for more details on whatever you want, but here is another article that goes more in-detail, and here's another one suggesting that marijuana may actually be a therapy for lung cancer.

So research suggests that marijuana might actually help fight lung cancer. But marijuana also can cause other problems (such as in the increased risk of testicular cancer), so maybe it's not such a great thing.

Then again, what do you mean by "better off"? Smoking pot can be, well, fun. And I adhere strongly to the belief that nothing in moderation is bad.

I mean, I'd be better off not riding in a car, right? Because there are way more traffic fatalities every year than deaths from smoking pot. I'd be better off not drinking soda from plastic bottles, or eating margarine, too, because both of those may cause cancer. But I still do it.

ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVINCE ME OR YOURSELF, its ok Nadal, I smoke more weed than you do. But, you gotta admit, moderated or not, its better not to smoke than to smoke.

RoyalSwagger
post Jun 11 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #168

Made In California

Member No: 521,311

yes marijuana should be legalized you are stupid if you think it shouldN'T

I dont smoke but there are so many reason why it should be legalized

if the government can find some fare way to tax it it can bring millions even BILLIONS of dollars into our economy
and thats what we need right now...

marijuana doesn't kill people like alcohol does... nobody has ever died from smoking weed but yet MILLIONS of people die every year from alcohol.

so yea it would help fix the economy and nobody would get hurt from it... and plus I found the people who smoke weed are more responsible then people who just drink all the time.

emberfly
post Jun 11 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #169

kthxbai

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 621,203

QUOTE(RoyalSwagger @ Jun 11 2009, 02:49 PM) *
yes marijuana should be legalized you are stupid if you think it should

mellow.gif

WUT?

ley
post Jun 11 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #170

Ley <3

Member No: 664,894

QUOTE(illmortal @ Feb 27 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Marijuana by itself... out of a pipe or a bowl or bong... CANNOT put you in any form of risk in lung cancer. And I can emulate marijuana as some miracle substance that can in FACT solve a ton of medical problems.

Are you bi-polar? Smoke marijuana
Have glaucoma? Smoke marijuana
Have asthma? Smoke marijuana
Need to quit smoking cigarettes because it's indagering your health and it's a horrible addiction? Smoke marijuana because it'll even clean your lungs out from the tobacco tar.
Have ADD/ADHD? Smoke marijuana
Are you in chemotherapy and having horrible pain plus cannot hold food down? Smoke marijuana
Have a lot of stress? Smoke marijuana
Have lack of appetite? Smoke marijuana
Having muscle spasms or muscular pain? Smoke marijuana
Have a fever? Smoke marijuana
Need a sleep aid? Smoke marijuana
Have Parkinson's disease? Smoke marijuana
Have Alzheimer's disease? Smoke marijuana
Have lung cancer? Smoke marijuana
Have a brain tumor? Smoke marijuana
Have multiple sclerosis? Smoke marijuana
Have damaged brain cells? Smoke marijuana
Have any form of neurological disorder? Smoke marijuana
Have a horrible hang over and feel nausea? Smoke marijuana

lol Would you like me to keep going? I've studied some of the greatest strains of marijuana in a chem lab. Independent research/study > mainstream. I wish I had a scanner, I'd scan my whole Chem research Journal up in here just to prove my stance on marijuana. Look up USA today, NY time, LA times, the Herald etc... they've all had articles about marijuana being the miracle herb.

Wow! So I am not going to pretend i read all of this thread. Its pretty long, but i did read alot. I thought i would point out that medical marijuana is not smoked. They dont just let you roll up a joint. Its in pillform just like many other medicines. I dont see the big deal of it getting leagalized. If people are going to use it in a stupid way they are going to do it regardless of if it is legal or not.

sugarjunkie-
post Aug 2 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #171

Member No: 740,385

Legalize it! Have any of you seen the documentary about marijuana on the history channel?
Marijuana was illegalized because apparently they thought in the 1930s if you smoked marijuana you became a homicidal maniac, which is completely untrue and a ridiculous claim. The media began scaring people and convincing them that marijuana was a incredibly dangerous "drug".

Believe me, I've smoked a lot of weed and I've never had the urge to hurt any one. The only con of marijuana is that I do get lazy and become unmotivated to do things........ but doesn't being hung over have the same effect? You just feel like SHIT. that's the only difference really. marijuana is fantastic

It's completely harmless. Less harmless than alcohol. Alcohol use to be illegal in like the 1920s, but they had to legalize it because of the fallen economy and that is exactly what they are considering about doing now with marijuana and I'm definitely for it :)

sugarjunkie-
post Aug 2 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #172

Member No: 740,385

QUOTE(ley @ Jun 11 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Wow! So I am not going to pretend i read all of this thread. Its pretty long, but i did read alot. I thought i would point out that medical marijuana is not smoked. They dont just let you roll up a joint. Its in pillform just like many other medicines. I dont see the big deal of it getting leagalized. If people are going to use it in a stupid way they are going to do it regardless of if it is legal or not.

oh my god. -_________-
Medical marijuana can be smoked out of a bong, pipe, joint, swisher.
you can even buy edibles and candy.
and i SUPPOSE you can get it in pill form.

drinksmokefuck
post Aug 22 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #173

Member No: 733,315

QUOTE(ley @ Jun 12 2009, 04:20 AM) *
I thought i would point out that medical marijuana is not smoked. They dont just let you roll up a joint. Its in pillform just like many other medicines.

the f*ck are you talkin about, have you ever been to a cannabis club

fire
post Aug 22 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #174

Member No: 523,843

MEXICO LEGALISES DRUG POSSESSION

mipadi
post Aug 22 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #175

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: