2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comic Books Are Literature Too., Graphic Novels and Super Heroes.
NoSex
post Feb 3 2008, 03:42 AM
Post #1

in the reverb chamber.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 300,308

So, who here is a comic book or graphic novel reader?

I'm just finishing up Preacher, which is fantastic.
I'm halfway into The Watchmen, Black Hole, Tomie, and a few others.

xquizit
post Feb 18 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #2

wanderlust personified.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 797

*raises hand*

i'm new to graphic novels but i'm already addicted.

i've read both 'box office poison' and 'tricked' by alex robinson. just finished 'ghost world' by dan clowes last night. i have a bunch in line to read when i get the chance... including 'american splendor', 'palomar', 'black hole', 'blankets', 'the watchmen' among others...

told you i was addicted.

stephinika
post Feb 19 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #3

Member No: 41,748

I haven't read all that many, but I want to read more. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series though. I have his book, Endless Nights thats related to that series.

superstitious
post Feb 19 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

Too many to list. People who know me here, know I love my comics.

Wonder Woman, obviously. I'm thrilled Gail Simone has taken over the books for now (for the most part). I'm a DC person, although I love other publishers as well. Dark Horse offers up good fare, as does Vertigo, although Vertigo is somewhat the naughty extension of DC.

Right now I'm rereading JLA trades:
Tower of Babel and Obsidian Age 1 and 2 (both JLA comics)

Preacher is outstanding. I'm so glad to be seeing you read that, Nate. How are you liking the Buffy series? Oh and have you read any Fray? Outstanding series about the future Buffy (like, post apocalyptic Buffy, but without a real apocalypse, so to speak).

I'm actually hitting my shop on Sunday, since my tax returns (state that is) has been deposited.

I recommend Hellboy and BPRD strongly if you (anyone) hasn't a chance to read any. Pick up a trade or two to catch up. Oh and check out iFanboy.com podcast. Their weekly reviews are typically spot on.

CapCaDancer
post Feb 22 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Free the Caged Bird. Let it Sing.

Group: Member
Member No: 622,056

Where's the line?
What determines whether something is a 'comic book' versus a 'graphic novel'?

NoSex
post Feb 23 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #6

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(superstitious @ Feb 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
Preacher is outstanding. I'm so glad to be seeing you read that, Nate. How are you liking the Buffy series? Oh and have you read any Fray? Outstanding series about the future Buffy (like, post apocalyptic Buffy, but without a real apocalypse, so to speak).

Preacher is quite fantastic. Some lame-o took my last collection from my locker and I haven't been able to read it - it's killing me. Getting really antsy to finish it.

I've read the first collection of Season Eight, but that's it really. I have the rest of the released issues, I just need to read them. So far, It's very faithful to the style and heart of the show (or at least I think so), and it's really great because of that. It's awesome to see where they took it with the new medium, and I love the choices they've made both artistically and "plot-wise."

I hear in the original series they decided to include Dawn... I'm excited to see how they do that. I heard that received a lot of criticism for it, but I think it's a great idea.

As goes anything else, I've only heard of and browsed... when I get the time, I'll definitely be checking all of that out.

QUOTE(CapCaDancer @ Feb 22 2008, 05:18 PM) *
Where's the line?
What determines whether something is a 'comic book' versus a 'graphic novel'?

There is no line. The terms 'graphic novel' and 'comic book' are, in all practicality, synonymous. The only thing that 'graphic novel' has done for the world of comics is made them a bit more acceptable. The stigmatization and narrowly defined world of 'comics' is a sad misrepresentation of a beautiful and amazingly open art form.

Speaking of, who has read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics? It's seriously amazing. I'm half way through it and it's definitely the most insightful, interesting, and consciousness-expanding piece of theoretical analysis of the (invisible) artistry of comic books. If you haven't picked up yet, do it! It's a must read for any comic fan.

Oh, and the best part? It's a comic itself! Not only does McCloud use the persuasion of written word, he also shows his audience exactly what he's talking about.

hypnotique
post Feb 23 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

Batman HUSH,George perez's version of wonder woman,Pretty much anything DC though i got into spiderman recently but those are ones with my 3rd favorite ally blackcat (see siggy)

I am also a fan of dark horse comics stuff but those are really manga's like ghost in the shell.

NoSex
post Feb 23 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #8

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(superstitious @ Feb 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
I'm a DC person

QUOTE(Dominatrix @ Feb 23 2008, 10:37 AM) *
Pretty much anything DC

I've never read DC. Am I bad person?

superstitious
post Feb 23 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Tick tock, Bill

Yes, Nate. You are a complete wretch.

DC is VERY commercial, I'll warn you of that. So is Marvel. Part of the reason why I keep reading DC is became I'm somewhat of loyalist and it was my first comic-verse. So in a way, it's like coming home.

You might like Teen Titans (not the Go! aka Cartoon Network version). It's angsty, but believe or not, there's some fantastic story telling in that series. Hush is good and you can pick up or borrow a trade. In fact, I know my library has it so yours might as well. Avoid anything Batman related material Frank Miller writes. I love Frank Miller and am very fond of Sin City, but after a few reads, I don't like his Batman voice. The Killing Joke is f**king amazing. I think you should pick that up for a first DC-verse read.

hypnotique
post Feb 25 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #10

Live long and prosper.

QUOTE(superstitious @ Feb 23 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Yes, Nate. You are a complete wretch.

DC is VERY commercial, I'll warn you of that. So is Marvel. Part of the reason why I keep reading DC is became I'm somewhat of loyalist and it was my first comic-verse. So in a way, it's like coming home.

You might like Teen Titans (not the Go! aka Cartoon Network version). It's angsty, but believe or not, there's some fantastic story telling in that series. Hush is good and you can pick up or borrow a trade. In fact, I know my library has it so yours might as well. Avoid anything Batman related material Frank Miller writes. I love Frank Miller and am very fond of Sin City, but after a few reads, I don't like his Batman voice. The Killing Joke is f**king amazing. I think you should pick that up for a first DC-verse read.

Mad love pwns.

OMG I FINNALLY FOUND OUT WHAT ZATANNA LOOKS LIKE FROM READING Identity crisis (which is sad and awesome)

Shes hot.
Shes like...almost as hot as black cat...

lkajsfklajskds
post Feb 25 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #11

<joke> inside </joke>

Group: Official Member
Member No: 470,590

PERSEPOLIS!
there is a book two as well

superstitious
post Mar 5 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #12

Tick tock, Bill

I'm reading Preacher: Gone to Texas (tpb)

This stuff is brilliant. I've read Preacher before, but I decided to start over with the first trade collection. Absolutely amazing. This is probably the best series I've read in a long time and definitely a topper on my list of what I need to read.

Everything in this book, from the dialogue to the art to the vivid characterizations are amazing. I haven't been this enthralled in a book, beit graphic novel or otherwise in a very long time.

edit: And Diana, Zatanna is definitely one of the hottest DC chicks EVER. Check out "Everyday Magic" sometime. It's a one shot, Paul Dini scribed graphic novel, put out by Vertigo (DC's bastard child).

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Mar 5 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #13

runaways!

xquizit
post Mar 6 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #14

wanderlust personified.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 797

I just finished Black Hole and Shortcomings (Adrian Tomine). Does anyone have any recommendations for "indie" style graphic novels... similar to Alex Robinson, Adrian Tomine, Daniel Clowes work?

superstitious
post Mar 6 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #15

Tick tock, Bill

^Have you read any Love and Rockets? It's a Jaime Hernandez (and his brothers) penned indie comic that is really quite fantastic.

Oh and here's a recent issues rating from ifanboy. I LOVE those guys. I listen to their podcast weekly.

NoSex
post Apr 11 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #16

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(yrrnotelekktric @ Mar 5 2008, 07:25 PM) *
runaways!

I'm just getting ready to read this (if not only because six of the title issues were written by Joss Whedon, ahh ha). How is it?

QUOTE(xquizit @ Mar 6 2008, 01:24 PM) *
Does anyone have any recommendations for "indie" style graphic novels...

I just recently read I Never Loved You by Chester Brown. It actually really effected me. It's minimalist. I think a few pages were entirely blank, and several featured only a single black and white panel. It's an auto-biographical re-visiting of the author's childhood (leading up to the end of high school). Sort of strange, very subtle, very relatable (especially for a growing boy who sometimes suspects he's a bit sociopathic), sort of haunting, and even touching.

Find the book and read it in one sitting (not hard, and not something you would regret).

superstitious
post May 12 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #17

Tick tock, Bill

I haven't read anything lately in the comicverse. Time, money, all that stuff. I DO want to get the second tpb of Preacher though. Perhaps next month.

The-March-Hare
post May 14 2008, 06:11 AM
Post #18

James killed the radio star.

Member No: 589,855

You know, I really mus tmake the effort to check out some of ths stuff... If nothing else Buffy 8 is definitely on my list.

NoSex
post May 14 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #19

in the reverb chamber.

I just started the Civil War event. It's so f**king good.

I just downloaded the complete chronological series, and, it's such a relief that someone organized it all into a torrent, cause, it would be so hard to track down all those paperbacks (and to put them into order). Really, though, it's a very exciting collection of comics. I'm looking forward to finishing it all.

P.S. Whose side are you on?

superstitious
post May 14 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #20

Tick tock, Bill

Dude, f**k Iron Man in Civil War. That's all I'll say until you've finished it.

superstitious
post Jun 23 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Tick tock, Bill

BUMP

Did you ever finish Civil War?

NoSex
post Jun 23 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #22

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(superstitious @ Jun 23 2008, 06:59 PM) *
BUMP

Did you ever finish Civil War?

Ha, unfortunately not. I'm still stuck about a fourth of the way through. I've been having a multi-media overload lately - watching a lot of movies (a movie a day so far this month), reading (comics, books, reddit, wiki), and television (arrested development, firefly).

But, I'm going to try to pick it up again.
Ack, this reminds me that I'm like two issues behind on Season Eight.

superstitious
post Mar 10 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #23

Tick tock, Bill

BUMP, to respond to this -

QUOTE(hypnotique @ Mar 10 2009, 08:19 PM) *
I never liked superman really. he was too much a good boy for my liking.
Edit//

WTF I PAID MORE FOR TOB by like alot wtfffff

I paid like 25 something for mine when it first came out in trade form.

It's one of my favorite arcs, EVER.

hypnotique
post Mar 10 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #24

Live long and prosper.

I liked TOB.

Man ive come to 2 conclusions 1: Comics will make a girl go broke it seems
2: Im going to miss Michael Turner's (RIP) cover art dude

hypnotique
post Jun 1 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #25

Live long and prosper.

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=11872

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: