2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Uglies, Scott Westerfeld
*This Confession*
post Aug 13 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Has anyone read this book?
I was going to join this book club thing but I have to read this book, all the others I've read already and were actually fairly good. But I haven't read this book and from what I've seen it looks okay, but I was wondering if anyone else has read it?

I searched for a topic for this book and for any type of opinion on it and couldn't find one..

description:
Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

He also wrote another book to this called the pretties,

anyone read that as well?

Joss-eh-lime
post Aug 13 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #2

tell me more.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 35,640

i cant belive someone else read this haha im the only one out of my friends who reads.

i read the uglies, the pretties and i want to read the specials[i think thats what the 3rd ones called]

i really liked both.

*This Confession*
post Aug 13 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #3

ah well, i read the first few pages, and it seemed pretty well written I suppose. I like the whole concept of it. Although I kind of want to know what happens in the second book.

I suppose I should get it and read it though.

anyone else read it? or have a opinion of it?

moninja
post Aug 13 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #4

R U A Q T ? [;

Member No: 421,631

i've heard of it. my teacher had them and she read all of them. she loved it.
i thought it was weird sounding, but that's just me.

febek
post Aug 15 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No: 443,876

i read both of the books..and they're okay. but some stuff gets confusing like hoverboards, and the walls giving out crap all the time...and in the one book they say bubbly to much...

*This Confession*
post Aug 15 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #6

oh,

hmm Okay, whats the good points in the book?

*Freaky Krazer*
post Aug 15 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #7

I read the first chapter of the Uglies but right at Chapter 2 I fell asleep and never picked it up again.

*This Confession*
post Aug 16 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #8

haha, well I hope it doesn't make me fall asleep mellow.gif

*Kathleen*
post Sep 13 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Freaky Krazer @ Aug 15 2006, 11:33 PM) *
I read the first chapter of the Uglies but right at Chapter 2 I fell asleep and never picked it up again.

It's not that bad at all! I'm about halfway - I love it so far. It's weird, though, because I keep imagining Peris as looking like Brandon Urie. blink.gif

*This Confession*
post Sep 14 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #10

^laugh.gif

I really like this book so far, I'm half way through it as well.

expoised
post Sep 14 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #11

te quiero

Group: Banned
Member No: 14,678

I've read "The Pretties"

Eh. it was okay. I just like the way they talk. It's so special.

*Kathleen*
post Sep 16 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #12

GAH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT CUT OFF LIKE THAT. On top of that, my library didn't have Pretties. stubborn.gif DAMN YOU, WESTERFIELD. hammer.gif I liked it. Then again, I like most science fiction/Utopian society books. shrug.gif

xlilaznchickx
post Sep 16 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #13

Member No: 193,600

dont they another book with that series, called the "Specials". yeah i've read the books...its okay...

*This Confession*
post Sep 19 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Yea, my school library doesnt have like any books that I actually like

So I got to go to the book store to get the Pretties, I'll probably go ahead and get the Specials too.

I really liked the uglies, but as Kathleen said, I as well I like science fiction. -shrugs-

^Yea,
It starts out with the Uglies, then the Pretties, then the Specials.

no one read the Pretties
Its a great book, but if you really liked david in the first book [as much as me] you may not like the Pretties all to much. It made me sad sad.gif

misskentucky
post Sep 24 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #15

Oh Goddamnit.

Member No: 46,884

Dudddeee. I read Uglies and loved it, I couldn't put it down. Then I read Pretties and same thing. I read the book in one day, I was homesick :). Now I'm half way thru Specials. AWESOME!

Yay Scott Westerfield.

But I agree, they say bubbly and all that a little too much.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 18 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #16

tell me more.

Member No: 35,640

^ where did you find Specials? i found the first two in Target but the third wasn't there.

moninja
post Nov 18 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #17

R U A Q T ? [;

Member No: 421,631

those books are kind of boring. mellow.gif
my friend found "the specials" at the local library. she loves those books. pinch.gif

angelrevelation
post Nov 21 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #18

You can't keep running from what you're trying to find.

Member No: 54,096

It was pretty good. I wish some things had been clarified though, like what a pretty actually looks like. I got the impression that people could choose their own skin and hair color when turning pretty? blink.gif but i don't think that's right...

i haven't read the second or third book yet.

helloxtine
post Nov 24 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #19

Christine (=

Member No: 441,013

OoO i loved those books... i read uglies and pretties and right now i'm working on specials :] which is the final volume

*I Shot JFK*
post Jan 9 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #20

It was SO good!

Lol, I actually asked for this book for Christmas after reading this thread, so who says the internet isn't useful!!

I'm currently waiting for amazon to deliver Pretties and Special, as I nearly went into meltdown mode when i realized that it was a triology, and that there would be a cliff hanger.

Also, I am violently frustrated by Shay.

Amay
post Jan 10 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #21

eternity will never be enough for me.

Member No: 386,926

I didn't read it and skipped to Pretties.
And there is no "the" in front of the book titles.
I thought the story was okay, not that great.
I love Scott Westerfield's other series better, The Midnighters or something.

redmoonflower
post Jan 14 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #22

Member No: 481,349

I love those books!!! But, ever since school started I havent had time to read them!!! mad.gif I've read Uglies, and part of Pretties. I loved them!!! I made my friends read them.. they loved them.. But, they run into the same problem as me!! They say when I try and read the book Shay-la and Shayla!! Thats my name.. Shayla kinda weird!! I dont know alot of people who have read this book..

synthase
post Jan 18 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #23

ALLISON

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 310,259

I LOVE THIS BOOK..soo muchh
yeah the beginning and middle-ish is kinda boring but late middle..its REALLY GOOD!
im currently reading Pretties..and that is really good so far too
i wonder how 'Specials' will be

*Intercourse.*
post Jan 18 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #24

^You have to get the specials too! happy.gif I have all of them and read them all shortly after I made this topic last year pinch.gif

I use to take a copy of one of them to school everyday and get looked at oddly because of the book title. And then when they asked what it was about and you explained they looked you ever worse and told me to go to a different table XD.gif People aren't very accepting around here..

Also, I am violently frustrated by Shay.

That will really happen by the end of the first book. I got really mad at Tally in the second book though, so much I had to quit reading the book. Shay gets better by the second book somewhat, I don't want to ruin it though.

sadolakced acid
post Jan 19 2007, 01:23 AM
Post #25

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

it's not a masterpiece. Scott Westerfield isn't churning out classics. But his work is entertaining.

the uglies has a very nice premise, and a good plot, enough to engage young adult readers. the writing is geared towards readers in the teens, and it very good.

in all, this isn't a must read. but it's a good read.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: