Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Debating Debates., What's the point of them?
Rating 1 V
FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 742,752

I just wanted to ask the question, What's the point of a debate?
and I have a feeling that a whole debate is going to happen because I asked this...and it IS in the debate forum...hmmm.

SO, to my point, debates really don't get anyone anywhere now do they?
Okay, sure, you got your point across, so what? 90% of the time the other person isn't going to eventually agree with you and side with you now.

We all have our beliefs.
Mine may be different than yours, but what's the point of debating about it if we don't accomplish anything from it?

I mean, I always see Abortion, Gay Marriage, and God Debates. those are the three most popular ones. I just don't see the point of hopping in one of those debates and throwing my Opinion in other people's faces. The debate is always going to end the same way, with one side believing it's right, and the other believing it is wrong.

I'm pro-choice, and I believe in same sex marriage, and I'm an atheist, but I'm not going to rub my opinions in peoples faces about it, and I think that's all that a debate does. It just pisses people off.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #2

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

er? because there is a right and wrong. all those things you listed can be debated in the sense of laws and government. it's important to debate things. who cares about people's opinions? there is still a right or wrong. what if nobody debated about civil rights? women's rights? amendments to the constitution? are those debates pointless and get you no where? or have they defined your entire life and freedom? i believe in same sex marriage too and that's why i want it to be debated and not just accepted as wrong as is.

tons of stuff has been changed by debate on a big and small scale. i guess some people aren't open minded, but my opinions have changed during debates before. plus debates are fun because you learn about your own beliefs when you have to defend them.

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #3

Not everyone believes that it is "wrong" though.
they may be wrong but you might think it's right.
there are some exceptions like women's rights and stuff like that but debating about God and and Abortion and Same sex marriage is just pointless.
They all sort of tie in together.
It's mainly the Christians and the people that were raised in a christian environment that don't agree with the last two. They think it's wrong, But I think it's totally okay, it's normal, but If i were to debate that, there wouldn't be a winning side or a losing side....it would honestly...go no where.

sixfive
post Jan 7 2010, 03:32 AM
Post #4

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 653,768

Debate = intellectual stimulation. Debate = lots of ideas, ideals, information shared. Do you seriously not see the point of a debate? For someone unfamiliar with the situation being debated, observing/reading a debate can enlighten them. There are different ways to debate. There's the cB way, there's arguing (not bickering, big difference), there are official debates. Lots of people are closed in their thoughts, but there are plenty of open minded individuals. I've had my thoughts/perspective/stances changed on subjects based on other's arguments. There's plenty to a debate.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #5

I'm Jc

i don't know why you make a big distinction. abortion can be debated right along with women's rights. if women's rights are an exception, then surely abortion must be too. same sex marriage can be viewed as a civil rights issue. same as women's rights.

the god thing, i don't really care, except for in the context of how it interacts with our government. aka separation of church and state, aka freedom for all.

they are all freedom issues so i don't get how women's rights is more important and more worth debating shrug.gif they all seem like valid important issues worth discussing/debating

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 03:35 AM
Post #6

I'm Jc

QUOTE(serotonin @ Jan 7 2010, 02:32 AM) *
Debate = intellectual stimulation. Debate = lots of ideas, ideals, information shared. Do you seriously not see the point of a debate? For someone unfamiliar with the situation being debated, observing/reading a debate can enlighten them. There are different ways to debate. There's the cB way, there's arguing (not bickering, big difference), there are official debates. Lots of people are closed in their thoughts, but there are plenty of open minded individuals. I've had my thoughts/perspective/stances changed on subjects based on other's arguments. There's plenty to a debate.

x2

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #7

I just don't see any of those topics going anywhere.
We're going to be fighting about these topics until the end of time.

sixfive
post Jan 7 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #8

nah you're wrong

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #9

I'm Jc

QUOTE(KaraYankit @ Jan 7 2010, 02:43 AM) *
I just don't see any of those topics going anywhere.
We're going to be fighting about these topics until the end of time.

lol why? we weren't fighting about any of the other civil rights topics till the end of time. why would debating about same sex marriage be pointless while debating about interracial marriage not be? it's in the same vein, and it went somewhere.

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #10

I'm not quite sure how to type out my thoughts...
hmmmm......
There's always going to be two sides.
and if these topics actually go somewhere, there's going to be one unhappy side.
and just because it may be legalized doesn't mean that other side is going to agree with it.
I know a lot of people that don't believe in interracial marriage. And to them, they still think it's wrong.

we shouldn't really use the words "right" or "wrong"
because we all have different views on what IS right and wrong.

I was a little all over the place with my thoughts there.
I'm tired it's 4am here.
bye guys.
be on tomorrow and we can finish this :)

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 04:04 AM
Post #11

I'm Jc

no, that's just stupid. who cares about the unhappy side? why should we give any validity to people who are racist? or sexist? who cares if they are unhappy. the only way they will be happy is if they are limiting other people's rights. that's what makes it wrong.

you don't think black people being counted as a whole human being with freedom is right...because someone somewhere might have the opinion that it's wrong lol? you think we should not give women's right's because some "feel" it's wrong. we shouldn't call these things right or wrong? that makes no sense. you're just picking and choosing. there is a right or wrong, and i could sit here all night and say 2+2=6 and i would still be wrong regardless of how right i think i am or whether i feel unhappy about the reality of it.

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #12

what I was trying to say, THEY think they are right. We shouldn't use the words "right" and "wrong" because we all have different opinions on what is and what isn't.

and saying 2+2=6 IS incorrect because 2+2=4, that's common knowledge, and is a fact. We're talking about Opinions, not facts.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #13

I'm Jc

QUOTE(KaraYankit @ Jan 7 2010, 02:43 PM) *
what I was trying to say, THEY think they are right. We shouldn't use the words "right" and "wrong" because we all have different opinions on what is and what isn't.

and saying 2+2=6 IS incorrect because 2+2=4, that's common knowledge, and is a fact. We're talking about Opinions, not facts.

but debating these issues isn't about making everyone think the exact same thing. it's not as if the only way for a debate to have ever been productive is if every single person in the world believed something was right. of course some people will be too stupid to ever understand. people having the opinion they are right though doesn't mean that they can't be wrong still. something like civil rights isn't an opinion in the US. it's our constitution. it is fact in the context of our country and the function of our society.

like i said, it's the context. sitting here and debating about god might be more "pointless" in one context than another. every debate about god is not about opinion. separation of church and state isn't opinion. the country we live in establishes it as a fact, so we can debate it terms of that.

apart from all the reasons debates have been valuable on a big scale (civil rights, our legal system, the running of our government etc). do you really see no value in debating for intellectual reasons? you don't think there is any value in the exchanging of ideas? you don't think it's valuable to hear anyone's opinion besides the one you already have? how exactly did you come to hold the beliefs you have? did you magically just all the sudden have an opinion or did you look at two sides and pick one?

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #14

I guess you do have a point there.
I enjoy listening to other peoples opinions as long as they aren't trying to shove it down my throat.

Debating for intellectual reasons is fine and good, but I guess it's just the immature ones that are pointless. The ones where people are getting pissed off and saying that their opinion is the right one.

Those kinds of debates (if you can even call those "debates") are really the only ones I see so maybe that's why I think debates are pointless.

You have proven your point I suppose and I guess I'm wrong, but I still think that the words "right" and "wrong" shouldn't be used the way they are. Like..I don't like the idea of being told that I can't have an Abortion because some people think it's wrong. (Serotonin you're going to have a field day with this next statement because you seem to think I'm a lesbian) Or If I'm told that I can't marry another Woman because that's "wrong" as well? If I were a lesbian that would get in the way of my pursuit of happiness.

brooklyneast05
post Jan 7 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #15

I'm Jc

QUOTE(KaraYankit @ Jan 7 2010, 03:38 PM) *
I guess you do have a point there.
I enjoy listening to other peoples opinions as long as they aren't trying to shove it down my throat.

Debating for intellectual reasons is fine and good, but I guess it's just the immature ones that are pointless. The ones where people are getting pissed off and saying that their opinion is the right one.

Those kinds of debates (if you can even call those "debates") are really the only ones I see so maybe that's why I think debates are pointless.

You have proven your point I suppose and I guess I'm wrong, but I still think that the words "right" and "wrong" shouldn't be used the way they are. Like..I don't like the idea of being told that I can't have an Abortion because some people think it's wrong. (Serotonin you're going to have a field day with this next statement because you seem to think I'm a lesbian) Or If I'm told that I can't marry another Woman because that's "wrong" as well? If I were a lesbian that would get in the way of my pursuit of happiness.

you shouldn't judge all debates by immature ones. that's just a really narrow view of debating.

i'm confused though. you don't like the idea of being told you can't have an abortion because someone thinks it's wrong...yet you don't want to call them wrong? you just said we shouldn't call people right or wrong. so i guess i don't get what you expect people to do. we have to use some words. what are we going to say if we can't say right or wrong.

but for the record, why do you think you're able to have an abortion? roe vs. wade is a debate lol. and if there are attempts to overturn it, those will be debates too. debates are important on all levels i think.

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #16

the reason why I used the words "wrong" is because there really is no other word to use. I think it's WRONG of them to tell me that it's WRONG.
That's always a Problem I seem to have...It makes perfect sense to me, in my brain, but I don't have a big enough vocabulary and I guess I'm lacking in the err...intelligence department..to get my full point across. :)

I'm going to stop here before I make myself look even more ridiculous.

kryogenix
post Jan 7 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #17

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Member No: 29

Well that's YOUR opinion!

creole
post Jan 7 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #18

Member No: 676,364

debating helps us learn. there's never gonna be an exact correct answer but we can f*ck with each other mentally.

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #19

QUOTE( @ Jan 7 2010, 05:13 PM) *
I just want you to know that its okay to be wrong in a debate. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Of course It doesn't make me a bad person.
there's always going to be a "right" and a "wrong"..

sixfive
post Jan 7 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #20

no but it makes you a stupid person

karmakiller
post Jan 7 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #21

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

QUOTE(KaraYankit @ Jan 7 2010, 06:27 PM) *
there's always going to be a "right" and a "wrong"..
Except in a debate, right?

FizzyMilk
post Jan 7 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #22

changed my username.
still Kara.

Just wanted to say to brooklyneast05 you're blunt but you're probably the nicest person on cb.

bye for guys.
..and everyone wonders why cb is dying?
quit being jerks.

none345678
post Jan 7 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #23

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

We don't have to wonder when a majority knows why CB is dying.

And really the only one being jerkish is Steven because that's just what he does and since he does it well I don't count him. JC's not blunt, just factual and awesome like. Dee and the goddamn Batman are the ish. Beenly is too adorable to be a jerk. Soo seeing how that covers everyone who posted I fail to see the jerks you speak of.

So stop being a jerk.

karmakiller
post Jan 7 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #24

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

She's right Abbey, I'm a big 'ol jerk, but luckily this is in the debate forum so there's no right or wrong just opinions. And that's just her opinion... at least I think that's how she said this forum works lol

mipadi
post Jan 7 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #25

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Jan 7 2010, 05:30 PM) *
Well that's YOUR opinion!

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: