Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legalizing Marijuana
Rating 4 V
synatribe
post Nov 22 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #101

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

QUOTE(mipadi @ Nov 22 2008, 10:10 AM) *
Murder is different. If you murder someone, you are encroaching on their right to live. You don't have an inalienable right to unilaterally take away the rights of others. Murder could be beneficial, but we already allow murder in certain specific cases (e.g, self-defense).
Black markets obviously don't pay taxes, so how is this in any way beneficial? I suppose you could say that this market "creates jobs", but it's not like anyone really sees the benefits of such markets. Legalizing marijuana, on the other hand, would generate tax revenue and create jobs. I don't think the creation of jobs is necessarily a compelling reason to legalize marijuana, but claiming that the underground drug market is important for the economy isn't a compelling reason to keep marijuana illegal.
You're missing the point: Most drug offenders are not violent. Most are not threats to society. They're just people who wanted to do something on their own private time, but the government stepped in and arbitrarily decided that they're not allowed to do something that's not harming anyone else. Therefore, we spend millions of dollars (maybe even more -- I don't have statistics handy) and a majority of prison space to imprison people who are no threat. Do we really want -- or need -- to be spending that kind of money to lock these people up? Furthermore, merely prosecuting these cases takes up time and money in the court system which could be better spent addressing "real" cases.
Fallacy of false dilemma: the choice isn't "either we legalize marijuana or we allow support cell research". We could easily do both. For the record, I think we should support stem cell research.
I don't think we need to infringe on the personal rights of Americans in order to create jobs. If jobs are important, legalize marijuana, then use the money saved from fighting it, and the money saved from incarcerating non-violent drug offenders, and use it to build dams or bridges or roads, or remodel schools, or develop alternative energy sources, or something else that will create jobs and be helpful to society.

thank you for answering my questions, thats all I needed :] and actually about the black market, its not beneficial to society directly, its beneficial to private industries who use then for support, which in turn out government will use private industries. As a family who owns buisnesses, I have always been taught that black markets play a crucial role in making bigger fortune 500 companies survive along with the mafia, catch me please if Im wrong. and for innocent drug offenders: Yes they are doing it on their own time, but I wouldnt plead them 100% innocent, there would have been a reason these people appealed to police and all Im saying is that whether we legalized marijuana or not, something is always going to be illegal that people are going to want to do it and in turn there will always be innocent people in prisons, not just drug offenders. As for stem cell research, I just thought that is anything was going to be legalized, we should legalize that first, but your correct and I agree about passing stem cell research

*cakedout*
post Nov 22 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #102

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 21 2008, 04:48 PM) *
Wow, do you not enough of a life that you have to carry on telling people to suck your cock? Get over it.

BItch stfu you donkey f*cking ass licker

applejaxkz
post Nov 22 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #103

Group: Member
Member No: 624,580

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Nov 20 2008, 11:51 PM) *
OKAY MISTER TECHNICAL SCHOOL JUST BECAUSE YOURE GETTING A PIECE OF PAPER THAT MEANS JACK SHIT THAT YOU PAID TOO MUCH FOR DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN GO AROUND BOSSING PEOPLE AROUND TELLING THEM TO RAISE THEIR HAND NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU LEAVE DEAD AND BLOODIED ALONG THE WAY, JUST SO LONG AS YOU CAN MAKE A NAME FOR YOURSELF AS AN INVESTIGATORY JOURNALIST, NO MATTER HOW MANY FRIENDS YOU LOSE OR PEOPLE YOU LEAVE DEAD AND BLOODIED AND DYING ALONG THE WAY.

itt: you're an idiot

You're so cute with your caps lock. And what the f*ck are you even talking about lol. "Raise your hand" next time. ROFL

batman
post Nov 22 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #104

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 696,018

go watch zoolander

/edit and stop spamming, you assholes.

Amaranthus
post Nov 22 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #105

Fellatio.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 511,775

I think it's quite selfish for people to prohibit the use of marijuana for medicinal reasons, because "pills are safer".
Wtf seriously?

dosomethin888
post Nov 23 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #106

Member No: 663,413

QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 22 2008, 07:25 PM) *
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/ric3xboy/umad.jpg
BItch stfu you donkey f*cking ass licker

why havent you been warned?
Your warning level deserves to be at like 99.9% and then it can get to 100% and you will be blocked from posting. That would be awesome.

sixfive
post Nov 23 2008, 04:02 AM
Post #107

Member No: 653,768

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 23 2008, 02:56 AM) *
Your warning level deserves to be at like 99.9% and then it can get to 100% and you will be blocked from posting. That would be awesome.

Aww does your pussy wussy hurty wurty?

*cakedout*
post Nov 23 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #108

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 23 2008, 12:56 AM) *

stfu ou ugly pile of bull dung, i wanna take a dunmp on your chest and make you suck the fart outta my annnus

gojira
post Nov 23 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #109

◕ ◡ ◕

Member No: 416,697

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 23 2008, 03:56 AM) *

go jerk off to twilight. lol wtf is dis. a band of ugree people

tyrocks00
post Nov 25 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #110

Member No: 699,978

no question it should be legal. why shouldnt it be? havent heard a good argument for it

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 26 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #111

tell me more.

Member No: 35,640

QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 20 2008, 07:23 PM) *
and alcohol isnt?

actually, alcohol is even more detrimental than marijuana.
so instead of legalizing weed, we can just ban alcohol and call it a day!

*paperplane*
post Nov 27 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #112

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-first_...es_Constitution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_of_alcohol

yeah f*cking right

dosomethin888
post Nov 27 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #113

Member No: 663,413

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Nov 26 2008, 02:29 PM) *
actually, alcohol is even more detrimental than marijuana.
so instead of legalizing weed, we can just ban alcohol and call it a day!

You cant be serious.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 28 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #114

tell me more.

Member No: 35,640

^half joking, half serious.

NoSex
post Nov 28 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #115

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Nov 27 2008, 07:45 PM) *
You cant be serious.

if your argument is that weed is harmful to society & the individual... you have to recognize that, statistically, alcohol consumption is exceedingly more harmful for both &, as such, should be banned.

dafto
post Dec 1 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #116

Member No: 149,487

I agree with the alcohol comment.

It is a proven fact you can die from consuming too much alcohol, never once has anyone overdosed on weed.... just saying.

as far as legalizing it, it's a great idea. It would do so much for the economy. Marijuana is a highly untapped industry that so many partake in, if taxed, the government would make billions, thus helping to alleviate the economy in this time of need.

Everything is fine in moderation, and it being put to use to alleviate pain in medical situations is far safer than say something like oxycotin or vicodin or valium.

alison-apples
post Dec 1 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #117

Member No: 671,706

I didn't read through this all. I didn't care to.

I've done it before. It's not the best. I don't do it often at all, I don't even like doing it.

All I know is that it's safer than cigarettes, safer than alcohol, and a lot safer than many prescription medications.

It's beneficial to some, a form of escapism for others (internet and WoW being other, less productive forms of escapism,) and something others would just keep out of their lives.

Teenagers would probably be less likely to do it if it wasn't illegal. The illegality of it is tempting in itself.

Yes, there should be an age limit.

But it's harmless compared to some of the stuff that's legal here.

sixfive
post Dec 2 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #118

Member No: 653,768

QUOTE(alison-apples @ Dec 1 2008, 10:03 PM) *

I didn't read through this all. I didn't care to.

I've done it before. It's not the best. I don't do it often at all, I don't even like doing it.

All I know is that it's safer than cigarettes, safer than alcohol, and a lot safer than many prescription medications.

It's beneficial to some, a form of escapism for others (internet and WoW being other, less productive forms of escapism,) and something others would just keep out of their lives.

Teenagers would probably be less likely to do it if it wasn't illegal. The illegality of it is tempting in itself.

Yes, there should be an age limit.

But it's harmless compared to some of the stuff that's legal here.
I hope you choke.

alison-apples
post Dec 2 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #119

Member No: 671,706

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Dec 2 2008, 06:43 AM) *
I hope you choke.

I'll try. ;]

Comptine
post Dec 13 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #120

Sing to Me

Member No: 10,808

Weed got decriminalized in MA. That means, instead of going to jail for processing it, you get fined. Now, it's a civil matter.

Kinda. Smoking weed actually INCREASES your chances of cancer and various diseases. However, since most people don't smoke it as consistently as cigarettes, the effects are diminished.

If marijuana was legalized, the government can have a claim on its production and growth. Which means, all those drug dealers that are offering weed would probably go out of business since people can just go to a store to pick it up. In addition, the product itself would be kind of healthy. On the streets, weed gets cut with a host of different things, which increases its toxicity.

Legalizing it would also generate a whole new bulk of revenue. Either through government production or through the elimination of the incredibly wasteful manpower/resources we spend by sending law enforcement out to capture marijuana dealers/growers/users. Also, government production can control how much THC is in the actual weed. So people can still smoke it but the mental effects could be decreased.

And as for medical marijuana, it has less harmful side effects than other prescription pain killers. Marijuana won't be used as a miracle drug. It's mostly pain relief, as Brooklyneast pointed out. In the proper dosages, the psychological addiction effects are lowered.

goingbananas
post Dec 21 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #121

Member No: 142,201

Can someone please explain to me if I carry around marijuana in my hand, it is illegal, but if I have a prescription for marijuana, it's okay?

firechild
post Dec 21 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #122

BBM: 310ED181

Member No: 671,976

Its legal in California if you have terminal cancer or some other terminal disease.
It supposedly dulls the nausea of chemo, and gets your appetite back again.

*cakedout*
post Dec 21 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #123

i can say my back and wrists hurt from my doctor and automatically get a 6 month write up for marijuana, you dont need cancer

goingbananas
post Dec 22 2008, 05:20 AM
Post #124

Member No: 142,201

QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 22 2008, 05:20 PM) *
go watch zoolander

/edit and stop spamming, you assholes.

who is that guy on your siggie?
what is his name?
where can i find him?
lmfao!!!

blueragedesigns
post Dec 23 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #125

Member No: 703,789

I agree. I don't personally smoke. (I used to).
But I know a shit load of people that do it. A few family members, mates etc.

There's nothing wrong with it. If it where to be legalized then yes, it would be setting innocent people free. As someone said previously.
On some people it has a bad effect. But they abuse it.
My idiot boyfriend thinks that people get agro on it. But it's the opposite. Apparently (According to my brother, who is an unreliable source) There have been no deaths due to being wasted aside from bad reactions. Yet if you look at the death toll / *Bad things that happen* in accordance with alcohol, well, There are categories Drink driving, Random street brawls, family violence (Although to be fair you don't have to be drunk to be a wanker mother / father / uncle / aunt etc etc). And people look at Marijuana as a worse substance? It's so stupid. The govt would make money on tax for it (Like they did with making prostitution legal (I'm from NZ )) So I still don't really see the problem. It'd stop money being wasted on paying for the people who "Broke the law" by carrying it and going to court, have hearings etc, paying for their "accommodation" (Jail(which btw they get sky (Cable) Which I don't get even))). So it's a win win. They make money, stop losing so much by paying for the court trails etc, and we get to smoke / eat / drink for what ever reason people do it for.

Btw it also has healing properties. On cancer. Something about cancer of the eye.. I think. Don't take my word on it. But it DOES have healing properties on something that's very unwanted.

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: