2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
shaving for the first time.
Maccabee
post Nov 5 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

I just shaved my face for the first time. Im 14.
I did a god awful job. and I broke the main rule of, never go over the same place once. I was scared I was gonna cut my self. it was better after the first stroke and I knew what it felt like.

I had the dreaded teen stache. And my dad and brother don't even use shaving cream, so I used soapy water like they do. They made it even scarier.

How old were you when you first shaved?
How often do you shave?
Share your shaving stories.

Probably the coolest part is that now there is a razor in my bathroom so people will see it. hahahahaha. Ya i know.

Edit:

dang, I just looked in the mirror and I really did do a bad job. I think I didnt press hard enough cause i didnt want to cut myself, so now there are random stray hairs all over the place. how do I fix this?

heyo-captain-jac...
post Nov 5 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #2

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Group: Official Member
Member No: 602,927

I first shaved when I was 9 or 10, I normally shave each day (except now since it's No Shave November, I expect a Billy Mays beard out of this), and all my shaving happens the way it's supposed to.

To fix all those random stray hairs, shave again.

fire
post Nov 5 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #3

Member No: 523,843

Start waxing.

creole
post Nov 5 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #4

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 676,364

I shave my moustache because I hate looking mature. =/
I guess I started shaving around 12?

synapse
post Nov 5 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #5

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 514,926

i don't remember how old I was. I shave now like once every few days... I don't use shaving cream either, just water and a sharp razor. I've never been scared to shave, just don't like they way I look afterwards. I don't like a clean shave...

Maccabee
post Nov 5 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #6

that whole, shave once and it will grow back bigger and stronger is an old tale and it is completely untrue.

Reidar
post Nov 8 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Vae Victis

Member No: 460,227

Get yourself some proper gear and throw away your cheap drugstore crap. And soapy water? Christ.

Most important thing to add (besides actual shaving soap or cream) is a badger hair brush to soften and raise the whiskers. Badgers are pretty vicious animals so you know a product is quality when it's enfused with the spirit of their dead carcasses. Don't use shitty modern razers, either, especially not disposables. Get something like this. If that looks expensive, then look how much you'll be saving on razers. In comparison, a 5-pack of orange plastic "Fusion" blades that will probably get you beaten up is $20.

This stuff is awesome as cream because they used it in Italy during World War II or something old fashioned-sounding like that. It lasts a long time because you only need a tiny bit for it to make big lather, unlike pussy canned ones that look like something you'd vandalize a wall with.

This equipment is so badass that my keyboard grew hair typing this all up. I hear classic utensils like these were the choice of Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, and Tyrannosaurus Rex back in their days. Also if you're a wuss and my facetiousness is bothering you, then here's a nerdy article supporting what I say.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 8 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #8

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i don't get how you guys can shave with soap and water, or just water like thomas said wtf

heyo-captain-jac...
post Nov 8 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #9

/人◕‿‿◕人\

I use just water because I'm too cheap to buy shaving cream.

Blyat
post Nov 8 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #10

Member No: 667,832

How many of you actually do No-shave-November?
Curious

heyo-captain-jac...
post Nov 8 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #11

/人◕‿‿◕人\

I'm doing it.

none345678
post Nov 8 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

About three of my friends are doing it.

Maccabee
post Nov 8 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Reidar @ Nov 8 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Get yourself some proper gear and throw away your cheap drugstore crap. And soapy water? Christ.

Most important thing to add (besides actual shaving soap or cream) is a badger hair brush to soften and raise the whiskers. Badgers are pretty vicious animals so you know a product is quality when it's enfused with the spirit of their dead carcasses. Don't use shitty modern razers, either, especially not disposables. Get something like this. If that looks expensive, then look how much you'll be saving on razers. In comparison, a 5-pack of orange plastic "Fusion" blades that will probably get you beaten up is $20.

This stuff is awesome as cream because they used it in Italy during World War II or something old fashioned-sounding like that. It lasts a long time because you only need a tiny bit for it to make big lather, unlike pussy canned ones that look like something you'd vandalize a wall with.

This equipment is so badass that my keyboard grew hair typing this all up. I hear classic utensils like these were the choice of Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, and Tyrannosaurus Rex back in their days. Also if you're a wuss and my facetiousness is bothering you, then here's a nerdy article supporting what I say.

tldr.

I have already shaved once, and it worked. thats all that matters.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 05:11 PM) *
i don't get how you guys can shave with soap and water, or just water like thomas said wtf

I dont see why it would be a problem. The shaver just needs something to glide across.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 8 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #14

I'm Jc

^ but water hardly makes a razor "glide". neither does soap in my experience. if you're just shaving fuzz, then maybe that works good but if your shaving actual hair then it's shitty. i would butcher myself doing that.

i agree with reidars post.

DE razors are also the best choice for African-American men, many of whom suffer from “shave bumps”, which occur when their tougher whiskers are cut too aggressively by modern mutli-blade razors, causing them to grow back underneath the skin and turn into ingrown hairs. Switching to a DE and using a shaving brush to exfoliate the skin and prep the whiskers is good for men of all races, but African-American men in particular find that shaving with a safety razor clears up their skin and makes shaving a pleasure again.

and i can vouch that this from his article is 100% true. this kind of razor + switching from a cream to a shaving lotion is the only thing that's worked for me so far.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Nov 8 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #15

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Well I normally shave often enough that it can't really get thick. That's probably the reason that I'm able to use just water.

mipadi
post Nov 8 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #16

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 08:01 PM) *
^ but water hardly makes a razor "glide". neither does soap in my experience. if you're just shaving fuzz, then maybe that works good but if your shaving actual hair then it's shitty. i would butcher myself doing that.

Yeah. I have really thick, bristly whiskers, and I'm relatively certain I'd take off half my face if I shaved without cream. I'd probably look like this afterwards:

brooklyneast05
post Nov 8 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #17

I'm Jc

QUOTE(mipadi @ Nov 8 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Yeah. I have really thick, bristly whiskers, and I'm relatively certain I'd take off half my face if I shaved without cream. I'd probably look like this afterwards:

exactly. mine are extreme thick and coarse. it sucks, i know a lot of guys who's aren't really that coarse. do you have razor bump issues too?

synapse
post Nov 8 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #18

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 514,926

I never have a lot of facial hair when I shave, which isn't that often anyhow.

Maccabee
post Nov 8 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 07:01 PM) *

i agree with reidars post.
and i can vouch that this from his article is 100% true. this kind of razor + switching from a cream to a shaving lotion is the only thing that's worked for me so far.

exactly, I was just shaving dark peach fuzz.
I love the prickly feeling it has now. Makes me feel manly.
also I want aftershave so I can re enact the home alone scene.

mipadi
post Nov 8 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #20

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 08:23 PM) *
do you have razor bump issues too?

I do (a little bit) if I shave everyday...but normally I only shave every few days, and by then I have longer stubble, which for whatever reason seems easier/smoother to shave.

Maccabee
post Nov 8 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #21

^makes sense really.
It would probably be easier to mow long grass then grass that is the same height as the mower. It would most likely give you an uneven lawn. (well not really cause it is a larger scale, but im sure you get the analogy.)

Tomates
post Nov 8 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #22

poison

Member No: 629,020

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 8 2009, 06:11 PM) *

Same...

i mean, i'm female but i've always been told not to use just soap and water because it can irritate skin. So i use shaving cream on my legs. Sometimes just water but only when im showering and soaked with water...thats a lot of information.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Nov 8 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #23

/人◕‿‿◕人\

QUOTE(jcp @ Nov 8 2009, 09:19 PM) *
^makes sense really.
It would probably be easier to mow long grass then grass that is the same height as the mower. It would most likely give you an uneven lawn. (well not really cause it is a larger scale, but im sure you get the analogy.)

The point of an analogy is so people understand your point better.

Maccabee
post Nov 8 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Tomates @ Nov 8 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Same...

i mean, i'm female but i've always been told not to use just soap and water because it can irritate skin. So i use shaving cream on my legs. Sometimes just water but only when im showering and soaked with water...thats a lot of information.

well you should just try and see if it irritates your skin for yourself.

I was suprised i didnt turn red, cause I have super sensitive skin.
also, what do you guys think about shaving with a knife. so manly. I know a guy who does that.

Reidar
post Nov 10 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #25

Vae Victis

Member No: 460,227

QUOTE(jcp @ Nov 8 2009, 07:33 PM) *
tldr.

I have already shaved once, and it worked. thats all that matters.
I dont see why it would be a problem. The shaver just needs something to glide across.

No you didn't. Your first post was about how your shave job sucked.

Foam is not an equatable lubricant to glycerin. You probably don't have rough Middle-Eastern hair, though, so you can afford to shave like a girlie man.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: