7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
should we make the lounge an unmoderated forum?
micron
post Apr 13 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #1

cb's #1 fan! =)

Group: Advisor
Member No: 1

hi all,

i was browing through my old site before i made cb... and it had a forums, where the equivalent of cb's "the lounge" wasn't moderated. i thought that was a good idea, and leaning towards implementing it here.

dont get me wrong. moderating is good and all, but sometimes it can really discourage members from participating. for example, there seems to be a trend where staff members close topics if the topic was talked about before, even if it's been over a year. this might be good in that it promotes organization, but in reality, it really kills the participitory aspect of the forums. sometimes things need to be revisted and retalked. its part of everyday life.

if we continue on like this, where topics get closed because it revists an older topic, sooner or later, there will be nothing to talk about. period.

so. what do you think? should we let the lounge be completely unmoderated by staff members? or should be do a compromise, where staff members are only allowed to move topics elsewhere, but cannot close the topics here?

let me hear from you. staff members may also contribute. =)

*chaneun*
post Apr 13 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #2

I think that moderators should be able to move topics. :)
So.. the compromise

*disco infiltrator*
post Apr 13 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #3

Nooo. mellow.gif We need the ability to close topics...it's not necessarily bad all the time, but...we definitely need that.

Just tell mods to be more lenient on closing topics that have been dead for a year. I know I like to make my own topics if the topics have been gone forever, so I would definitely follow that suggestion.

Tribal J_Rome
post Apr 13 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #4

wut wut in the butt?

Group: Human
Member No: 227,723

QUOTE(chaneun @ Apr 13 2006, 8:35 PM) *
I think that moderators should be able to move topics. :)
So.. the compromise

I agree

*My Cinderella.*
post Apr 13 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #5

I don't think that would be such a good idea. Moderators need to be there to move topics, close them, and what not. Without some moderating in there, I think members would post anything they feel like.

micron
post Apr 13 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #6

cb's #1 fan! =)

QUOTE(disco infiltrator @ Apr 13 2006, 11:39 PM) *
Nooo. mellow.gif We need the ability to close topics...it's not necessarily bad all the time, but...we definitely need that.

Just tell mods to be more lenient on closing topics that have been dead for a year. I know I like to make my own topics if the topics have been gone forever, so I would definitely follow that suggestion.

oh no, i dont mean that im going to revoke that ability. i mean in principle. ofcourse, staff members still need to be able to close topics for unexpected circumstances, like spamming and advertising.

on the other hand, i really wish staff members were a bit more lax when it comes to the lounge. in my previous forum, it was called 'random thought' with a description of 'post whatever is on your mind. unmoderated forum.' i wish the lounge could be something like that, where members just post anything thats on their minds, without having to worry about it being closed because it was talked about some 23423421 years ago.

Tribal J_Rome
post Apr 13 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #7

wut wut in the butt?

Group: Human
Member No: 227,723

QUOTE(micron @ Apr 13 2006, 8:42 PM) *
oh no, i dont mean that im going to revoke that ability. i mean in principle. ofcourse, staff members still need to be able to close topics for unexpected circumstances, like spamming and advertising.

on the other hand, i really wish staff members were a bit more lax when it comes to the lounge. in my previous forum, it was called 'random thought' with a description of 'post whatever is on your mind. unmoderated forum.' i wish the lounge could be something like that, where members just post anything thats on their minds, without having to worry about it being closed because it was talked about 23423421 years ago.

That's true. I think unnecessary or "stupid" topics would die out fast anyways.

micron
post Apr 13 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #8

cb's #1 fan! =)

plus i thinks its more reflective of life.

when amongst friends, we dont think about thinking of new things to talk about, we just let our minds speak, regardless of how many times we talked about it before.

xTINAA
post Apr 13 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #9

hello : )

Group: Official Member
Member No: 13,139

I think it should just be implemented as a rule to all moderators to not close topics despite how long they've been around. Basically the Lounge is where people talk about whatever is on their mind. The only time I really see moderators closing topics is if they are complete spam, advertisement, or if they are too old. So change the last one and I think it's fine.

Spirited Away
post Apr 13 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #10

Quand j'étais jeune...

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 1,272

How would spam, double posting, obscenity, cross-posting... etc (the forum rules) be upheld if mods cannot moderate?

Sure, having an unmoderated forum is great for encouraging folks to come out of lurking, but it may also take away from the quality of their contribution to the forum.

Edit:
Though more reflective of life, it will also be more chaotic and will drive away members who appreciate the current order.

micron
post Apr 13 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #11

cb's #1 fan! =)

QUOTE(Spirited Away @ Apr 13 2006, 11:49 PM) *
How would spam, double posting, obscenity, cross-posting... etc (the forum rules) be upheld if mods cannot moderate?

please read the entire topic, its been already addressed.

QUOTE(Spirited Away @ Apr 13 2006, 11:49 PM) *
Sure, having an unmoderated forum is great for encouraging folks to come out of lurking, but it may also take away from the quality of their contribution to the forum.

this is exactly what i mean. people shouldnt worry about being contibutory to the quality of the forums, atleast in the lounge. when you speak to your friends, are you concerned about the quality of what you have to say?

lets make this place a friendlier place. =)

this is a bit off topic, but i personally think moderators should be passive in their policing the forums rather than active. by that i mean, only moderate things that really need to be. otherwise, let things be.

radhikaeatsraman
post Apr 13 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #12

oooh yeah.

Group: Member
Member No: 376,533

YAY. I like this idea.

*My Cinderella.*
post Apr 13 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Ah. Now that you've added that part. I'm beginning to think that that might actually be a good idea. After all, old topics will die down eventually, and not everyone wants to search for whatever's on their mind at that moment. I say, yes. That seems like a good idea.

*jooleeah*
post Apr 13 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #14

Mm, I like the idea of mods not closing topics that have already been discussed. =) I agree, some topics need to be retalked about again. It helps members interact with each other :]

yayy for mods being more lenient :]

micron
post Apr 13 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #15

cb's #1 fan! =)

exactly!

its really hard to get to know each other without interacting with one another. and by closing topics thats been talked about - youre taking away that opportunity for new members to interact.

*My Cinderella.*
post Apr 13 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #16

^ Agreed. Sometimes the sandbox forum just won't do. It would be nice to be able to post in the lounge without having to search, being afraid of the topic being moved or closed.

Spirited Away
post Apr 13 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #17

Quand j'étais jeune...

Member No: 1,272

QUOTE(micron @ Apr 13 2006, 10:52 PM) *
please read the entire topic, its been already addressed.
this is exactly what i mean. people shouldnt worry about being contibutory to the quality of the forums, atleast in the lounge. when you speak to your friends, are you concerned about the quality of what you have to say?

lets make this place a friendlier place. =)

Sorry, Law and Order distracted me for a moment and I missed what you have said.
If you only want your staff to be more easygoing on what's being said in the lounge, just make that as a rule (eg. go easy on repeated topics). Saying that the lounge should be "unmoderated" threw me off. Sorry for reading too much into it.

No, when I speak with my friends, I don't really care what I say, you're right.

EDIT Damn L&O
I wouldn't care about what I say, but I have a limit because I respect my friends. If you think all your members will know the same respect, then this will be a really good idea. If in fact they don't, this will be a mess.

*AngelicEyz00*
post Apr 13 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #18

Yeah, let's make them unmoderated shifty.gif

*Blow_Don't_SUCK*
post Apr 13 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(My Cinderella. @ Apr 14 2006, 12:00 AM) *
^ Agreed. Sometimes the sandbox forum just won't do. It would be nice to be able to post in the lounge without having to search, being afraid of the topic being moved or closed.

I agree with the unmoderated thing. The Sandbox gets old after a while, and I don't like bumping topics since some mods don't like it when a topic is bumped with an insignifcant post.

*My Cinderella.*
post Apr 13 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #20

^ Here here.

I think it's a great way to interact and get to know each other. _smile.gif

micron
post Apr 13 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #21

cb's #1 fan! =)

QUOTE(Spirited Away @ Apr 14 2006, 12:01 AM) *
Sorry, Law and Order distracted me for a moment and I missed what you have said.
If you only want your staff to be more easygoing on what's being said in the lounge, just make that as a rule (eg. go easy on repeated topics). Saying that the lounge should be "unmoderated" threw me off. Sorry for reading too much into it.

No, when I speak with my friends, I don't really care what I say, you're right.

^ no probs.

im looking at the forum rules. since when did our forums became so... spartan?

lets cut down on the regulatory bs and celebrate. *runs off and creates a *stupid* topic, whatever that means. =)

*mzkandi*
post Apr 13 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(micron @ Apr 13 2006, 11:42 PM) *

on the other hand, i really wish staff members were a bit more lax when it comes to the lounge. in my previous forum, it was called 'random thought' with a description of 'post whatever is on your mind. unmoderated forum.' i wish the lounge could be something like that, where members just post anything thats on their minds, without having to worry about it being closed because it was talked about some 23423421 years ago.

I have no problems with this.

sadolakced acid
post Apr 13 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #23

dripping destruction

Member No: 21,929

ingots.

offtopicness (falsly labeled spam) should be allowed. (in lounge)

because, really. it's fun.

*My Cinderella.*
post Apr 13 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #24

I'm really looking forward to this idea. laugh.gif

micron
post Apr 13 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #25

cb's #1 fan! =)

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Apr 14 2006, 12:06 AM) *
ingots.

offtopicness (falsly labeled spam) should be allowed. (in lounge)

because, really. it's fun.

something like this?

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: