stop calling it soccer!
lanbexx
post Jun 23 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #1

我爱台妹,台妹爱我

Group: Member
Member No: 52,340

SHOUTWIRE ARTICLE:

World cup 2006 is now well underway, and I must say that I’m surprised to see such a fine effort from the USA against Italy earlier today. In my humble opinion, the US deserved a win for the spirit they showed, but the heat and the pace all seemed to weigh down on them in the end, and they seemed content to defend and settle for a draw.

Now, the reason I am surprised is that football is a minority sport in the States. I frequently see comments such as ‘soccer is gay’ and so on from an ignorant section of our American friends. It seems that most sports fans in America prefer a game that evolved from the British - largely upper class - game of rugby… and they have decided to strap on loads of padding, change the name of our game and insist that our sport is for girls. This grates a little with those who follow the majority sport in the world, and is another sign that certain (unfortunately vocal) Americans are arrogant… and downright f**king rude.

Let’s not forget Baseball, another evolution from a British game called ‘Rounders’. Rounders is (and has been for a long time) largely a girl’s game in the UK… normally played only by children.

Now, I don’t want to piss all over your favourite pastimes… but enough is enough. Why do you have to be so ignorant of the rest of the world? Does it make you feel proud being so clueless and to act so superior all the time?

Harsh words against the rest of the world from these self-styled ‘patriots’ smack of nothing more than a severe inferiority complex… and extreme stupidity.

In a similarly inflammatory gesture back atchya, I suggest that you change the name of your ‘football’ back to rugby, grow some balls and take off the body armour. Seriously… it’s sooo gay.

The reason we’ve called it a football for the last half-millennia or so is that it’s a sphere that you kick (a foot-ball). Forgive my confusion, but how does Football relate to running around with an oval object under your arm and taking breaks every few minutes?

Shakespeare’s A Comedy of Errors (Act II Scene 1):

Am I so round with you as you with me,
That like a football you do spurn me thus?
You spurn me hence, and he will spurn me hither:
If I last in this service, you must case me in leather.

"Spurn" literally means to kick away, thus implying that the game involved kicking a ball between players.

Shakespeare was around before the ancestor of American football was conceived. Football was around way before Shakespeare.

So forgive me. I’ve had a little wine (I know, how gay) and I’m just venting in response to years of provocation. I consider the US to be one of the closest countries to my own, even though the Atlantic divides us. I was rooting for the US tonight because:

A: They showed heart and

B: I can’t wait until this cultural divide is gone. It will happen, but it’ll take time and hard work from America’s football players to generate interest from their success.

And believe me... one day, when football takes over, your game of boring-ass padded rugby will be seen for what it is.

*RiC3xBoy*
post Jun 23 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Lets go Soccer!

starlette
post Jun 23 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #3

RAWR.

Member No: 102,641

wow that was a waste of energy. I do'tn call it soccer to piss all over the rest of the world, but if im in the middle of conversation and im talking about a sport and I say football, im pretty sure everyone around is going to assume im talking about american football. And if I say rigby theyre gonna look at me funny. bUt I guess I should make sure that I and the rest of the americans on cB change the whole countries way of thinking. I'll get started on that cuz heaven forbid it have a different name. Gee i must be a terrible person. All us americans are so pretentious. shame on me for crapping on ur crap ass game. Football in both senses is dumb. and baseball sucks too. This is like the stupid punk rock argument. Youre not real punk!1 Youre a poser. I hate you waaaaaah.

*salcha4u*
post Jun 23 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #4

I watched soccer today.

Tribal J_Rome
post Jun 23 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #5

wut wut in the butt?

Group: Human
Member No: 227,723

Damn, 4 more years for the next Soccer cup!

sprezzatura
post Jun 23 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #6

Peggy.

Member No: 214,025

I want to call it football, but no one would know I mean what others call "soccer." Everyone else in the world calls it "football" except for the United States, and it still makes me wonder why.

I have no idea why they call American football as "football" when "soccer" uses your feet more than American football.

sadolakced acid
post Jun 23 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #7

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

?

americans aren't all idiots.

stop treating us as such.

lanbexx
post Jun 23 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #8

我爱台妹,台妹爱我

Member No: 52,340

lol wait its not my article. jacked from shoutwire

much2muse
post Jun 28 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #9

RJL<3

Member No: 71,019

this is why i'm moving to england.

okay well not really laugh.gif i just like the uk and british things. i think it should be called football here too.. but i cant do anything about that.

*RiC3xBoy*
post Jun 28 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #10

I wanna play some soccer.

31miracles
post Jun 28 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #11

cvchango

Group: Human
Member No: 332,717

SOCCER isn't very exciting

magicfann
post Jul 4 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #12

CB's Forum Troll

Member No: 115,142

QUOTE(lanbexx @ Jun 23 2006, 8:53 PM) *
lol wait its not my article. jacked from shoutwire

LOL YOU ARE A BRIT AND THE BRITS HAVE A BAD COUNTER-STRIKE TEAM

but yes i agree its spelled "football"

BUT YOU ARE A BRIT LOL!

*wind&fire*
post Jul 4 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #13

hahaha paded Rugby....

*wonders when tri-nations are on*

smoke
post Jul 7 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #14

Pokeball, GO!

Member No: 433,009

Wow. That article really pisses me off. mellow.gif Could you provide a link? I'd like to wine back at the author. (I know, how gay.)

AngelinaTaylor
post Jul 7 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #15

daughter of sin

Member No: 386,134

QUOTE(iRock cB @ Jul 7 2006, 11:56 AM) *
Wow. That article really pisses me off. mellow.gif Could you provide a link? I'd like to wine back at the author. (I know, how gay.)

Why, precisely?

It's FOOTBALL, damn it.

smoke
post Jul 7 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #16

Pokeball, GO!

^Oh, I call it football too. It makes more sense. I just don't like his/her attitude towards America in general.

But like stated before, football or soccer, it's the same game. It never really bothered me much.

AngelinaTaylor
post Jul 7 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #17

daughter of sin

Member No: 386,134

^ People are entitled to their opinion though :P

smoke
post Jul 7 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #18

Pokeball, GO!

^ Hmm, well usually if they both come across in conversation I'll say "Yada football, you know like soccer football yada yada." lol. happy.gif

QUOTE(Angelina Taylor @ Jul 7 2006, 1:17 PM) *
^ People are entitled to their opinion though :P

Oh, I know! I agree 100% happy.gif I'm not saying he/she isn't. I'd just like to grace them with my opinion, ha.

oohsteph
post Jul 7 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #19

Member No: 416,418

Who really cares, I call it football when I speak in english... and most people know what I am talking about. If anyone wants to call is soccer, they can, it's OK. If you want to call if football, then do so, and just refer to the pig-skin throwing football, as American Football, or whatever.

I don't see why it is such a big deal, football or soccer... it's still the same sport!

inlonelinessidie
post Jul 8 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #20

BANNED

Member No: 14,387

For those who know the history of this sport (soccer, football, futbol, futebol, etc.) it is known that the word SOCCER was not made up by the Americans.

And I quote:

The word soccer does not come from the United States but was a term used by public school and university students, most notably at Oxford, in the 19th Century to shorten the new game “Association Football”. The predilection to shorten words with “er” extended to Rugby too, known as rugger.

*jooleeah*
post Jul 8 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #21

^Ooooh. I get it.

smoke
post Jul 9 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #22

Pokeball, GO!

QUOTE(inlonelinessidie @ Jul 9 2006, 12:11 AM) *
For those who know the history of this sport (soccer, football, futbol, futebol, etc.) it is known that the word SOCCER was not made up by the Americans.

And I quote:

Cool. Send that to the guy who wrote the article.

jennyjenny
post Jul 9 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #23

Member No: 28,115

Wait, isn't rugby its own sport?

inlonelinessidie
post Jul 9 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #24

BANNED

Member No: 14,387

QUOTE(iRock cB @ Jul 8 2006, 10:06 PM) *
Cool. Send that to the guy who wrote the article.

I would, but have no idea who wrote it. laugh.gif

QUOTE(Cake. @ Jul 8 2006, 10:19 PM) *
Wait, isn't rugby its own sport?

Rugby is different from American Football. So yeah, I believe it's its own sport.

*RiC3xBoy*
post Jul 9 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #25

Just make up a name. Call it Ovalball. Or This-Sport-Needs-More-Asians.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: