Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
CA's Prop 8, FL's amendment 2 and Arizona's prop 102/ Defining marriage, Surprised this never got mentioned here.
Rating 3 V
Blaqheartedstar
post Oct 29 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #1

Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 156,187

Surprised this never got mentioned here. CA's Prop 8, FL's amendment 2 and Arizona's prop 102, and the whole defining gay marriage. With election coming up pretty soon, Prop 8 has been a big issue.

The argument is that Prop 8, amendment 2 and prop 102 will define that marriage between a man and a woman will be the only legal kind of marriage in California for prop 8, Florida for amendment 2, and Arizona with prop 102.

Some people argue that it has nothing to do with gay rights, or about gays in general
yet mention that if it doesn't pass parental rights, and religious freedom gets taken away.

Others mention that it does (take away gay rights), If the law passes Same sex couples will not be able to
1. Marry the person they love.
2. Those who are already married will lose the rights that come with it.

There is also the argument that Marriage is about love regardless of gender (Love is Blind).
yet others strongly believe that marriage is a religious, spiritual union between a man and a women.

To start a discussion here are several questions
1. what do you feel will happen if these laws passes and soon spreads to other states?
2. What do you feel marriage is, and should the idea of same sex marriage be allowed?
3. What do you think will happen to the children whose parents happen to be both male or female, If these laws passes what do you think will happen to the children?

Blaqheartedstar
post Oct 29 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #2

^ great find. The issue has been out for some time. It was recently that i bumped into the problem and the responses for it.

I ranted about this issue, boy was i pissed for those looking for a quick laugh or something like that check out this post
it also covers what sparked this debate.

amplifyy
post Oct 29 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Alternate Rock beats paper.

Group: Member
Member No: 693,799

I say no on CA's Prop 8.
I believe that people can't just take away someone's rights just for some schools.
And you knows whats stupid? They just allowed gay marriage in California a while ago and NOW they are voting on it?

Blaqheartedstar
post Oct 29 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #4

People really need to look up the new laws in the voting forum. They often word it to confuse people in to picking what they really want.

back on topic though.
what upset me was that one guy used the excuse that every child need a mother and a father and if same sex couples are allow to marry then it takes that away.
what about the children up for adoption? many don't get the chance to be adopted.
What about the children who lost a parent to a accident? a divorce?
so using that as an excuse means nothing.

Joss-eh-lime
post Oct 29 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #5

tell me more.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 35,640

yes on 8.

i believe in heterosexual couples being married.

Blaqheartedstar
post Oct 30 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #6

Voting yes means that you approve of marriage being only between a man and a women. Thats what yes means.

this is exactly what i mean.
It confuses people. Watch, people are going to end up putting yes thinking that its going to allow same sex couples to marry when really its not.

edit: read Joss-eh-lime's post wrong.

*cakedout*
post Oct 30 2008, 02:45 AM
Post #7

mar⋅riage   [mar-ij] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

they should make another word for gay marriages, like gay intertwining... lolol

Blaqheartedstar
post Oct 30 2008, 06:27 AM
Post #8

Marriage
Marriage or wedlock is an interpersonal relationship (usually intimate and sexual) with governmental, social, or religious recognition. It is often created by a contract or through civil processes. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution.

Doesn't have to be between just a man and women.

coconutter
post Oct 30 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #9

omnomnom

Member No: 180,688

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Oct 30 2008, 12:40 AM) *
yes on 8.

i believe in heterosexual couples being married.

ummmm okay, you want heterosexual couples to be married, so? that has nothing to do with prop 8, since you never said you didn't want gay people to get married

and i think it's stupid, especially taking the rights of marriage away from the gays already married. how can you take someone's rights away solely based on their sexual orientation? that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard, taking away rights of people who've done NOTHING to anyone or anything

think about that, and think how it applies to issues such as abortion, which i'm sure if you support prop8 , you support anti abortion laws.

not only that think about human rights laws, this is ridiculous! even if you do believe people choose to be gay, people can choose to have red hair, and what if they took away the rights of people with red hair just because some overpowering religion deemed it unholy? how would you red haired people feel? most people would feel dehumanized, unwanted, and hated.

why are we dehumanizing people in our own country, equal in value to everyone else?

Blaqheartedstar
post Oct 30 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #10

^ good point.
One guys argues that some how if prop 8 fails and same sex couples are allowed to marry then soon three people are going to want to marry each other or people are going to want to have the right to marry an animal.
you got to be kidding me.

synatribe
post Oct 30 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #11

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

In my opinion I believe marriage started out as a religious tradition but as society changed it suddenly became a tradition. I believe in alternative lifestyles but in all honesty I dont see a place for government even in the idea of marriage. There is no reason the government should get involved. Also when I say alternative lifestyles I also mean that homosexuals can come up with their own tradition of a interconnecting ceremony between 2 souls. To me honestly, I dont even consider polygamy to be a marriage no matter what mormoms think

coconutter
post Oct 31 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #12

omnomnom

The government should be involved in marriage because marriage gives two people certain rights boyfriend and girlfriend don't have. Although, to me marriage is really nothing but a legal binding of two, or maybe even three, people. It certainly doesn't make two people love each other, which I think is the reason gay marriage is taboo to others is because people are afraid gay people might love each other, but they don't realize they already do. When you don't allow people to get married, you're not stopping the people from loving each other, you're just not giving them the rights they deserve to have. Obviously when you give two people the right to marriage, it's not going to turn into "I want to marry my dog". No. In our society people are the ones to hold all the rights. Not animals, although I disagree, but that's another argument. Two or even three people should have the right to marriage if they wish to, because the point is you're not stopping them from loving each other, you really can't stop anyone from liking anything. You're just depriving them of rights every over human has based on what they like, and that's really stupid. Who cares if the bible says "marriage should be between a man and woman", the bible is not the constitution.

Why are we allowing people to do this? It's very hateful, it's like discriminating against a whole entire race. We're taking their rights away that they should lawfully have under the constitution, and why? Just because they happen to like the same sex. So what? People have been doing that for centuries, but it's in a society like this where different things should be allowed to happen. In history, they have. Like women's rights and black people's rights. But.. why are we taking away normal people's rights? Sounds really unjust when you think about it, doesn't it? No matter what religious background you have.

By the way, gay parents aren't bad. The children of gay people might have a way better life than they could have elsewhere, even with a heterosexual couple. I seriously doubt that living with two gay people will screw up someone's life, or make them gay themselves. Gay people don't intentionally make other people gay, if you like someone, you just like them and can you really help when you like other people? Gay people don't care about you non-gay people, they don't want you, you're not gay. You may think, but they call me hot! Well, people call Britney hot right now, but that doesn't mean they want her, after all who wants an STD bag? Stop thinking that. The children of gays will be just as corrupted as any other children.

only-tuesdays
post Oct 31 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #13

Lets Get Dead

Member No: 641,562

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Oct 30 2008, 08:58 PM) *
In my opinion I believe marriage started out as a religious tradition but as society changed it suddenly became a tradition. I believe in alternative lifestyles but in all honesty I dont see a place for government even in the idea of marriage. There is no reason the government should get involved. Also when I say alternative lifestyles I also mean that homosexuals can come up with their own tradition of a interconnecting ceremony between 2 souls. To me honestly, I dont even consider polygamy to be a marriage no matter what mormoms think

Exactly. What happened to church being apart from gov't?

brooklyneast05
post Oct 31 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #14

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

^if you don't see a place for government in marriage then...sorry but i don't think you even understand marriage or what comes along with it anyway. it's not just a little promise between you and someone, it's a legal binding.

marital status determines a lot of technical things that have nothing to do with love or religion or any of that. you know like, home insurance, auto insurance, health insurance, inheritance, social security, medicare, pension, tons of discounts on basically everything from home loans to joint tax returns....like 299329323 benefits

marriage is more about legal things than anything else imo. when i get married it will be because of the benefits, not becuase i think i need someones approval/recognition to love someone. ofcourse, i'm also not religious so i don't give a shit about any of that union between me, my wife, and the sky fairy stuff.

anway, you can't get these things without being recognized by the govt as married. you can love someone all you want without govt recognition. government is going to be involved in marriage regardless, because it makes sense for them to be from a legal perspective. married couples should be treated differently than independents.

but yeah, homosexual couples who are together on the same long term basis should have the same benefits as a heterosexual couple.

only-tuesdays
post Oct 31 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #15

Lets Get Dead

I understand the legalities of marriage. But I don't believe anyone has a right to sit there and define marriage as only being between a man and a woman. The belief that marriage is between only one man and one woman stems from religious belief, not law.

sixfive
post Oct 31 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #16

Member No: 653,768

I say who the f**k cares what gay people do, so long as their gay behavior doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Let them be f*gs about it.

synatribe
post Oct 31 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #17

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 31 2008, 02:11 PM) *
^if you don't see a place for government in marriage then...sorry but i don't think you even understand marriage or what comes along with it anyway. it's not just a little promise between you and someone, it's a legal binding.

marital status determines a lot of technical things that have nothing to do with love or religion or any of that. you know like, home insurance, auto insurance, health insurance, inheritance, social security, medicare, pension, tons of discounts on basically everything from home loans to joint tax returns....like 299329323 benefits
marriage is more about legal things than anything else imo. when i get married it will be because of the benefits, not becuase i think i need someones approval/recognition to love someone. ofcourse, i'm also not religious so i don't give a shit about any of that union between me, my wife, and the sky fairy stuff.

anway, you can't get these things without being recognized by the govt as married. you can love someone all you want without govt recognition. government is going to be involved in marriage regardless, because it makes sense for them to be from a legal perspective. married couples should be treated differently than independents.

but yeah, homosexual couples who are together on the same long term basis should have the same benefits as a heterosexual couple.

I actually do know. I also know that gay couples have to pay $5000 for insurance compared to $80 (in general terms) for a married couple. Thats why I recommended alternative lifestyles with benefits of regular marriages cause if anyone opposes that then their stupid.

Joss-eh-lime
post Oct 31 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #18

tell me more.

Does my public school teach me about the creation of the world by God's design or evolution? Evolution. Who even has a say about it? No one. In the same way, why should marraige be taught in such a liberal way, when the creation of earth itself is not?

I don't want MY little brother going on a field trip to a gay marraige. I don't want MY little brother being exposed to contraversial things as a young kid. I don't believe in gay marriage because I believe that those relationships are a sin in God's eyes. That is exactly what the Bible says.

Why does everyone INSIST upon going against nature?

only-tuesdays
post Oct 31 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #19

Lets Get Dead

Because unfortunately this is not a country where one person's religion can so completely be shoved down someone else's throat. We have a thing called seperation of church and state. Do people normally go to a wedding as a field trip? I've never heard of such things. The simple answer to your problem is send your children to a private school. But then they're going to come out into society and realize they've been sheltered from an entire world.

AyeVickaye
post Oct 31 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #20

Member No: 682,013

Damns the gov. should let people marry who they want to marry shizz. How would you feel if you couldn't marry the person you love? gay people are nice anyways. they don't do anything to us...

coconutter
post Oct 31 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #21

omnomnom

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 31 2008, 03:11 PM) *

EXACTLY! Why deprive the rights of people based on what they like, it's stupid stupid stupid.

Does my public school teach me about the creation of the world by God's design or evolution? Evolution. Who even has a say about it? No one. In the same way, why should marriage be taught in such a liberal way, when the creation of earth itself is not?

I don't want MY little brother going on a field trip to a gay marraige. I don't want MY little brother being exposed to contraversial things as a young kid. I don't believe in gay marriage because I believe that those relationships are a sin in God's eyes. That is exactly what the Bible says.

Uhh, marriage isn't being taught, and nor do schools go on field trips to heterosexual or homosexual marriages, what are you talking about? Also, that is how you believe the earth is created, not everyone else. I also don't believe your little brother will be exposed to any homosexuality at a young age because, they don't go on field trips to gay marriages, and I doubt 4th grade boys are mauling on each other. Your last statement in the first paragraph made no sense at all, and they definitely don't TEACH marriages in school, and gay marriages aren't being looked at in a liberal way, they're being looked at in a way that's more like "are we really treating people unfairly because they're gay"? I don't think God said you should not like gays or not allow them to get married (because first of all marriage has nothing to do with love), and I also believe he did say he loves everyone equally and that we should be nice to others. Is hating other people, and also coming up with ridiculous reasons to hate others that don't exist, is that really what your God wants? I don't think so. I think you need to read The Bible a few more times to understand it.

Also, where EXACTLY in The Bible does it say "gay marriage is a sin in God's eyes and you should not believe in them" where? I don't think you can answer that straight forward. Also, read the posts, they'll start to make a lot of sense.

Reidar
post Oct 31 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #22

Vae Victis

Member No: 460,227

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Oct 31 2008, 05:41 PM) *
Does my public school teach me about the creation of the world by God's design or evolution? Evolution. Who even has a say about it? No one. In the same way, why should marraige be taught in such a liberal way, when the creation of earth itself is not?

Creationism isn't taught alternatively because it has no scientific basis. Gay marriage is not so concise.

I wouldn't want my kid (my very hypothetical kid existing in another dimension) to attend a gay wedding, but I wouldn't want him to be at a straight one, either. Seriously, what kind of a lame field trip is a wedding? Field trips are supposed to be badass, like going to dinosaur museums and nuclear power plants.

fameONE
post Nov 1 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #23

^_^

Member No: 91,466

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Oct 31 2008, 04:41 PM) *

You're not going to win this argument. Your ability to debate this issue is immensely flawed due to your personal beliefs. If you have your own reservations about same-sex partnerships, that's fine, and no one is going to shit on you about that. However, when you state your opinion, then shit on everyone else with such a self-righteous attitude, you leave yourself open to the backlash of those who posess the ability to think reasonably.

You say that same-sex partnerships are wrong, and that you don't agree with it due to your religious beliefs, but you provide no support to your opinions. In the end, you look like the ignorant douche. YOU become the prime example of 'what's wrong in America' because of that fact that you'd ignore human rights just to satisfy your religious beliefs.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with you holding an opposing stance, just present an argument that doesn't make you look like a fool. Would I want my child to be fed anything that merely suggests being a homosexual? Of course not. At the same time, I don't want my child using religion as an excuse to be ignorant. The biblical definition of marriage, unfortunately, is as flawed as your supporting argument, because the benefits involved with actually being married are beneficial to both parties involved.

So take a moment, gather your thoughts, do some research, and come back to this with an open mind and an unbiased stance; then make an attempt to tie in your beliefs.

sixfive
post Nov 1 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #24

Member No: 653,768

José Limo.

Imo, to Christians, the Bible should not be absolute, rather a guideline. Strict interpretation of anything of that size can only lead to hypocrisy. I bet you don't follow everything the Bible says strictly. Hypocritical bitch.

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 1 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #25

tell me more.

so what if my beliefs contratict yours? i can still think logically about this.

everytime someone a bit more conservative than you guys posts their ideas you all flock together and peck out their eyes because "Oh no! How dare she be against gay marriage?!"

what you all want to hear is vote no on 8!

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: