Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mosque next to Ground Zero in New York, Should it be allowed ?
none345678
post Sep 14 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

There has been controversy about a Mosque being built next to Ground Zero (3 blocks away I believe). Should it be allowed?

I am kind of surprised there has yet to be a topic about it...if there is and I missed it my bad.

Simba
post Sep 14 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #2

Photoartist

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 399,390

yeppers

sorry, not an in depth answer, but the answer shouldn't take much thought

none345678
post Sep 14 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #3

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

I agree. I think it's another one of those obvious debates that really should not need to take place. The only people I really need to explain why they think what they think are the people opposing it.

sixfive
post Sep 14 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #4

Member No: 653,768

Don't like him but I liked this.

sixfive
post Sep 14 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(spambot @ Sep 14 2010, 10:54 PM) *
I agree. I think it's another one of those obvious debates that really should not need to take place. The only people I really need to explain why they think what they think are the people opposing it.

My parents oppose it. That's not to say that they're dumb or ignorant or whatever, but I do think there is a bit of difference in opinion in generational gaps. For instance, they're anti gay marriage, not because they don't like gays and don't think they should be happy but because they're "religious," or whatever that means lol. They're just a bit more old fashioned and set in their ideas and aren't too open to listening to why they're "wrong."

Uronacid
post Sep 16 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Group: Official Member
Member No: 555,438

Honestly, being someone from New York, I can see why many people oppose the mosque being built close to Ground Zero. It feels as if the person who abused you is moving in next door just after the court order of protection expired. 9/11 is still a sensitive issue if you dredge it up. Many of us can't help but be disturbed by the thought of an ultra-mosque being resurected close to the site.

Lawfully, should they be allowed to be allowed to purchase the land and build? Yes, but I think everyone knows this. I don't think that's the argument here. The real question is whether or not they should be doing it in the first place. I personal think they need to be sensitive to the fact that only a decade has past since some radical islamic terrorists crashed a plan into two major buildings in that very area. Individuals who experienced that first hand live right next door to the site that they plan to resurrect this building in.

I've heard the guy who plans to build this place innitially suggested that this was a "gesture of peace". Well, if this is a "gesture of peace" between America and Islam.... then they're deffinitely failing. Millions are apposed to this. I don't think they should build it... I'm opposed to it as well. It's not a matter of whether it's lawful or unlawful for me.

LittleMissSunshi...
post Sep 16 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #7

rawr?

Member No: 285,858

BUT ITS NOT THE MOSQUES FAULT... Islams have nothing to do with Ground Zero.. IT WAS TERRORISTS who weren't even Islamic. Mannnn I understand the emotional part, but people are just being prejudice towards Islamic/Muslims people. Yes they may look similar, but they aren't terrorists. SO YESSSSS, I think it should be built. I don't even think its right next to each other though, that's what I've heard.

btw http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-the-...makes-no-sense/ this guy made all my points clear about it. which i agree lol

Blyat
post Sep 17 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Member No: 667,832

QUOTE(LittleMissSunshine @ Sep 16 2010, 09:54 PM) *
BUT ITS NOT THE MOSQUES FAULT... Islams have nothing to do with Ground Zero.. IT WAS TERRORISTS who weren't even Islamic. Mannnn I understand the emotional part, but people are just being prejudice towards Islamic/Muslims people. Yes they may look similar, but they aren't terrorists. SO YESSSSS, I think it should be built. I don't even think its right next to each other though, that's what I've heard.

btw http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-the-...makes-no-sense/ this guy made all my points clear about it. which i agree lol

Yeah they definitely shouldn't be blamed for. But at the same time it's kind of a sketchy situation because there are people who strongly oppose this concept and there are people out there that are gonna blame and call the Muslims terrorist. Putting it "too" close to ground zero, I believe, could cause a lot of controversy and maybe a riot?
Like you said it should be built, but another area. Like why risk all the possible "chaos"?

none345678
post Sep 17 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #9

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

That's the equivalent to giving a 2 year old what it wants just because it's throwing a tantrum.

We can ask them not to. In no legal way can we deny them the right to. I can understand reasons like Stevens parents have and the emotional aspect of it. Point is is that it's unconstitutional. Number one in the number one law book that's been around since the dawn of this country and we can't even fallow it.

Blyat
post Sep 17 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #10

Member No: 667,832

True.

This may sound dumb
But maybe they should have a state vote for it?

Reidar
post Sep 24 2010, 06:14 AM
Post #11

Vae Victis

Member No: 460,227

^ No because not even (most) opponents claim that there is a legal impediment to it, just a "moral" one (which doesn't even make sense).

This is the best article on the subject I've seen written. Christopher Hitchens manages to both bash Islam (as an atheist) and defend the mosque in the same passage.

In reference to the site's opponents: "Where to start with this part-pathetic and part-sinister appeal to demagogy? To begin with, it borrows straight from the playbook of Muslim cultural blackmail. Claim that something is 'offensive,' and it is as if the assertion itself has automatically become an argument."

Just because it's offensive doesn't make it liable to be acted upon. Whether it's Muslims crying over Danish cartoons depicting Muhammad or Americans rallying against a community center that happens to contain a mosque, the message is the same: get the f*ck over it. We have freedom of expression and the gravest offense of all is to have that trifled with.

QUOTE(LittleMissSunshine @ Sep 16 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Islams have nothing to do with Ground Zero.. IT WAS TERRORISTS who weren't even Islamic.

This, though, is also not right. Wahhabism and extremism is still Islam.

"Her identification as a Muslim suffered a strong blow after 9/11. After listening to videotapes of Osama bin Laden citing 'words of justification' in the Qur'an for the attacks, she writes, 'I picked up the Quran and the hadith and started looking through them, to check. I hated to do it, because I knew that I would find Bin Laden's quotations in there.'"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_hirsi_ali

I am Iranian. I am antitheist but my relatives are Shi'ite Muslims. They may be peaceful Islam-followers, but that's only because they do not take the Quran literally. Both Christian and Muslim religious tomes are morally despicable and can only be followed incrementally in order to be socially acceptable.

firechild
post Sep 24 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #12

BBM: 310ED181

Group: Member
Member No: 671,976

Last time I checked, we were a country founded on religious freedom...

but doesn't islam have a ban on new mosques or something?

Reidar
post Sep 24 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Vae Victis

Member No: 460,227

The Taliban are actually against the mosque, too.

DoubleJ
post Sep 24 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #14

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

I am completely against it being built here. I had this debate with friends a few weeks ago. What people who are not from here don't realize, is that our lives will FOREVER be effected by this.

LittleMissSunshi...
post Sep 24 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #15

rawr?

Member No: 285,858

it's not even a mosque.. it's a muslim/islamic community center. there is basketball courts and a place to worship. so i don't think it should be a problem. i do understand that many people are offended because people look similar, and it is an emotional situation for those who lost their loved ones. but they shouldn't be hating on people who didn't even destroy the twin towers.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Sep 24 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #16

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

all points are null once you realize it's not actually on ground zero like fox likes to claim. it's several blocks away from ground zero, I doubt 9/11 even crossed the guy's mind when he decided he would open it

DoubleJ
post Sep 24 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #17

The Resident Drunk

People need to realize, that this is how this country runs. There will always be something that one race/culture doesn't like about the other.

firechild
post Sep 25 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #18

BBM: 310ED181

Member No: 671,976

^He has a point. Even within a race, certain communities are still stigmatized (i.e. Homosexuals)

lovebuddha
post Oct 1 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #19

Member No: 769,194

It would be just as simple to put it somewhere else instead of fighting over it. This is ridiculous and completely absurd.

mipadi
post Oct 1 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #20

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(lovebuddha @ Oct 1 2010, 01:44 AM) *
It would be just as simple to put it somewhere else instead of fighting over it. This is ridiculous and completely absurd.

Yeah, there're tons of empty, available real estate in Manhattan.

sixfive
post Oct 1 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #21

QUOTE(mipadi @ Oct 1 2010, 09:13 AM) *
Yeah, there're tons of empty, available real estate in Manhattan.

That's what I was saying. It's an absolute lack of class and lack of tolerance by those dirty ragheads erecting a giant middle finger that is that mosque/terrorist training facility.

DoubleJ
post Oct 1 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #22

The Resident Drunk

QUOTE(serotonin @ Oct 1 2010, 10:54 AM) *
That's what I was saying. It's an absolute lack of class and lack of tolerance by those dirty ragheads erecting a giant middle finger that is that mosque/terrorist training facility.

Agreed! That is all they are going to use it for anyway.

lovebuddha
post Oct 16 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #23

And also, to make another point:

They come here and we give them freedom of religion, the ability to even put up a place of worship for their specific religion, and out of common courtesy they could just put it somewhere other than such a sensitive area. Just for the sake of not causing an issue (which it already has). Which, in my opinion, proves that they are trying to cause an issue because they are not going to move it.

We give you freedom. We give you jobs. We give you a real chance at life.

Just move the damn thing somewhere else.

sixfive
post Oct 16 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #24

^you only say that becuse you're so intolerint of others religion y u gotta be all like we gave them freedom of religion we didnt give it to them it just straight up exists acting like were better than them (even though we clearly are, just not you) acting like you wrote the constitution what you think yo shit don't stank?

lovebuddha
post Oct 16 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(serotonin @ Oct 16 2010, 11:55 PM) *
^you only say that becuse you're so intolerint of others religion y u gotta be all like we gave them freedom of religion we didnt give it to them it just straight up exists acting like were better than them (even though we clearly are, just not you) acting like you wrote the constitution what you think yo shit don't stank?

First...learn how to spell
Second...I mean "we" as in "America". Not "we" as in "myself". I know i'm no better than anyone, that was not the point. I know I didn't write the f*cking constitution.

I'm not closed to others religion.

I'm not even going to explain. Not worth the time...
There are seriously some morons floating around in here.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: