Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legalizing Marijuana
Rating 4 V
dosomethin888
post Nov 21 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #76

Group: Member
Member No: 663,413

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Nov 21 2008, 06:15 PM) *
yea, I wasnt implying lets stop development Im just saying that society has been fine with illegal marijuana up until now, why legalize it now? what would be the difference? because the only people who will actually take marijuana when prescribed to them are going to be the idiots, I know for a fact that if I had a disease and my doctor prescribed marijuana, then I would ask for something different, cause I dont like it and I know its detrimental to my emotional health, even if it improves my physical health.

Thats a good point. Why legalize it now? I think it is because of how liberal the US is becoming.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 21 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #77

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

yeah because something being one way means it should never change.

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #78

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:26 PM) *
you apparently haven't comprehended basically anything i've said. why legalize it now?

read carefully

BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WANT PAIN RELIEF, ECT, WITHOUT BEING f*ckING PHYSICALLY DEPENDENT ON THEIR CURRENT PRESCRIBED MEDICINE. MARIJUANA IS NOT PHYSICALLY DEPENDENT. THE MEDICINE I TAKE NOW IS MORE DANGEROUS AND ADDICTIVE THAN MARIJUANA. SO, I WOULD BE AN IDIOT APPARENTLY FOR WANTING SOMETHING THAT'S LESS HARMFUL TO ME?
i'm with kevin and nicki now. stfu

trust me, there are probably many different types of pain relievers that are safer than marijuana,the medicine that these people are taking probably have alternatives, then why not ban the medicine their taking right now? why legalize marijuana insteading of banning what they are currently taking? always trying to find relief instead of actually trying to tackle the issue would be more irrational in my opinion. Also there might be a reason that the FDA approved of whatever medicine your talking about and the reason they approved that medicine and made marijuana illegal is probably not even pointed out in this thread anyways and we are probably arguing over a broad statement without the facts, so for anyone in this thread to call anyone wrong would be irrational.

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #79

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:32 PM) *
yeah because something being one way means it should never change.

I never said that, Im completely for change like gay marriage, Im not a conservative, unless you can prove to me that there is not a single treatment of relief that is safer then marijuana, then I'm not going to agree with you.

dosomethin888
post Nov 21 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #80

i'm with kevin and nicki now. stfu

I was wondering how long it was gonna take.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 21 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #81

I'm Jc

until what? until i got tired of saying the same thing over and over? it's absolutely ridiculous and missing the point to say all this crap about how we need to prove there is no possible other medicine to use before we let medical patients use something that's not even more harmful than what they are already using.

it makes no sense to have this incredibly high standard for something so lightweight

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #82

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 21 2008, 09:08 PM) *
until what? until i got tired of saying the same thing over and over? it's absolutely ridiculous and missing the point to say all this crap about how we need to prove there is no possible other medicine to use before we let medical patients use something that's not even more harmful than what they are already using.

it makes no sense to have this incredibly high standard for something so lightweight

well dont you want to support your statements and at least give evidence that marijuana is necessary? it does make sense to have incredibly high standards because not everyone is JC:]

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #83

AIDS at RAVES.

and obviously if it were lightweight, we wouldnt be having this convo right now

brooklyneast05
post Nov 21 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #84

I'm Jc

what the f*ck are you talking about?

it doesn't have to be necessary to beneficial. i've given an example f*cking a million times over. it wouldn't be necessary that i use it becuase i have medicine now that i already use, so it's not NECESSARY. but it would be NICE and BENEFICIAL and POSITIVE to use something NOT ADDICTIVE.

why are you so hung up on it having to be NECESSARY as in there isn't any other choice before you're for it.

it is lightweight, that's why it's not ranked as a hard drug. ffs. if you think it's a hard drug you're an idiot, we already went over that.

stop double posting

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #85

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 21 2008, 09:17 PM) *
what the f*ck are you talking about?

it doesn't have to be necessary to beneficial. i've given an example f*cking a million times over. it wouldn't be necessary that i use it becuase i have medicine now that i already use, so it's not NECESSARY. but it would be NICE and BENEFICIAL and POSITIVE to use something NOT ADDICTIVE.

why are you so hung up on it having to be NECESSARY as in there isn't any other choice before you're for it.

it is lightweight, that's why it's not ranked as a hard drug. ffs. if you think it's a hard drug you're an idiot, we already went over that.

how many people is it actually beneficial for? have you ever thought about how many people might not find this beneficial?
if its just nice, is there really a reason to legalize it? no. its nice to the 2% of the population of cancer patients who actually use it.
you have to realize that there is going to be huge opposition which dosent make it a lightweight issue, you honestly dont expect society to agree with you do you? So if we let it pass, you think people are going to go quietly about the issue? Its a wrong move and we all know that, either
a) the government changes everyones perspective about the drug,
or
b) keep the law, the way it is.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 21 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #86

I'm Jc

it's not only for cancer patients....wtf? where the hell did you come up with that

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #87

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 21 2008, 09:30 PM) *
it's not only for cancer patients....wtf?

edit: not limited to cancer patients

batman
post Nov 21 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #88

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 696,018

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Nov 21 2008, 09:23 PM) *
how many people is it actually beneficial for? have you ever thought about how many people might not find this beneficial? if its just nice, is there really a reason to legalize it? no. its nice to the 2% of the population of cancer patients who actually use it.

What about candy? What's candy good for? All candy does is contribute to the obesity of this already obese country. Is it beneficial? i think not.

you have to realize that there is going to be huge opposition which dosent make it a lightweight issue, you honestly dont expect society to agree with you do you? So if we let it pass, you think people are going to go quietly about the issue? Its a wrong move and we all know that, either
a) the government changes everyones perspective about the drug,
or
b) keep the law, the way it is.

You're forgetting about the alcohol Prohibition, aren't you. Read up on your history, son.

dosomethin888
post Nov 21 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #89

What about candy? What's candy good for? All candy does is contribute to the obesity of this already obese country. Is it beneficial? i think not.

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have got to be joking.

Candy is not like a drug in the slightest.

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #90

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 21 2008, 09:32 PM) *
You're forgetting about the alcohol Prohibition, aren't you. Read up on your history, son.

is candy detrimental to your emotional health? I think not
and for alcohol, that was passed after people's perspective of alcohol changed so there was a new normal, as of right now making marijuana legal would startle alot of people, eventually one day marijuana will be legal but right now is to premature (same case as alcolhol) and we are talking about medicinal uses for marijuana, which alcohol and candy have no relationship with.

batman
post Nov 21 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #91

no we're not. we're talking about legalizing marijuana. nothing in the title or the OP does it says we're talking about marijuana specific to medical cases.

synatribe
post Nov 21 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #92

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 21 2008, 09:40 PM) *
no we're not. we're talking about legalizing marijuana. nothing in the title or the OP does it says we're talking about marijuana specific to medical cases.

exactly, so if marijuana does not have a need to be used for medical cases what does it need to be used for? getting high?

batman
post Nov 21 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #93

yeah. what's wrong with that? getting high is fun. if you're gonna use that as an argument, maybe you might want to take a second to petition the banning of cigarettes and alcohol while you're at it.

anyways, i'm not going to repeat stuff that's already been said in the thread, as i feel like that's a waste of time.

you complained earlier about people disrespecting you, yeah? maybe if you grew a brain and learned how to read and interpret information and other peoples' arguments, you'd realize that you're going around in circles and just not getting it.

the end.

i'm done. grow up a little before you decide to play with the big kids. thanks.

dosomethin888
post Nov 21 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #94

QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 21 2008, 07:51 PM) *
yeah. what's wrong with that? getting high is fun. if you're gonna use that as an argument, maybe you might want to take a second to petition the banning of cigarettes and alcohol while you're at it.

anyways, i'm not going to repeat stuff that's already been said in the thread, as i feel like that's a waste of time.

you complained earlier about people disrespecting you, yeah? maybe if you grew a brain and learned how to read and interpret information and other peoples' arguments, you'd realize that you're going around in circles and just not getting it.

the end.

Ya cause the immature ones are staying away from drugs :/

Joss-eh-lime
post Nov 21 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #95

tell me more.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 35,640

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 20 2008, 07:30 PM) *
So everything legal has to be necessary for a productive society?

no..but its not like legalizing marijuana will have benefits..
however, it quite possibly could be detrimental.
what are some legitimate benefits of legalizing it besides "medical" reasons?

brooklyneast05
post Nov 21 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #96

I'm Jc

read the thread?

QUOTE(NoSex @ Nov 18 2008, 11:25 PM) *
1. freedom is actualized:
we live in a country that proposes to be free. the contents of our minds are a primary aspect of personal freedom. if the government is telling us we cannot control the contents of our minds through the use of drugs, than we can't say we're a free country.
2. the black market is defeated:
the drug war has only made selling drugs more profitable, in an effect, this has added to the proliferation of drugs (making them more accessible to everyone). if we legalize drugs (especially harmless drugs like cannabis) we can eliminate a black market that supports organized crime all over this nation & supplies criminals with the power & money to operate. this will lower associated crime (remember, black market disputes can't be taken to court. if someone snags your scag, you shoot them).
3. innocent people are allowed to live:
over fifty percent of our prisons are full of non-violent drug offenders. these people don't deserve the sentences that they are given. further, they are a costly aspect of our policy; we pay to imprison them & everyone pays when they are torn form their work, their lives, & their families.
4. medicinal benefits:
medical weed already helps millions of people all over the world; we need to jump on the bandwagon already.
5. we end the drug war:
less needless spending & effort & time on a worthless (& offensive) war against the american people.
6. etc.:
you suck for not thinking of any of these.

IF EVOLUTION IS A CRIME ONLY CRIMINALS WILL EVOLVE!

synatribe
post Nov 22 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #97

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(heartquasm @ Nov 21 2008, 09:51 PM) *

the end.

just because you have to be immature about the fact that you wont respect the fact that youf post were complete bullshit dosent make anyone a "big kid" get over yourself seriously.

synatribe
post Nov 22 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #98

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(NoSex @ Nov 18 2008, 10:25 PM) *
1. freedom is actualized:
we live in a country that proposes to be free. the contents of our minds are a primary aspect of personal freedom. if the government is telling us we cannot control the contents of our minds through the use of drugs, than we can't say we're a free country.
2. the black market is defeated:
the drug war has only made selling drugs more profitable, in an effect, this has added to the proliferation of drugs (making them more accessible to everyone). if we legalize drugs (especially harmless drugs like cannabis) we can eliminate a black market that supports organized crime all over this nation & supplies criminals with the power & money to operate. this will lower associated crime (remember, black market disputes can't be taken to court. if someone snags your scag, you shoot them).
3. innocent people are allowed to live:
over fifty percent of our prisons are full of non-violent drug offenders. these people don't deserve the sentences that they are given. further, they are a costly aspect of our policy; we pay to imprison them & everyone pays when they are torn form their work, their lives, & their families.
4. medicinal benefits:
medical weed already helps millions of people all over the world; we need to jump on the bandwagon already.
5. we end the drug war:
less needless spending & effort & time on a worthless (& offensive) war against the american people.
6. etc.:
you suck for not thinking of any of these.

IF EVOLUTION IS A CRIME ONLY CRIMINALS WILL EVOLVE!

1. If we actually lived in a country that was free, then why do we have any leglislation at all, we might as well say murder is beneficial, because we could be killing people who could have been a threat and that would be considered constitutional?

2. The black market is necessary. Mafias and black markets have always played a strategic role to the economy and private industries which is why this country's government hasnt put a stop to it. If we really wanted to destroy the black market, we would have, but they can be beneficial in other ways.

3. 50% is big number which, I do not agree with, but whether they were illegal drug offenders, or illegal computer hackers, there will always be innocent people who are offended of something. Legalizing Marijuana does not get rid of the fact of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, or simply having bad luck, its just reality.

4. I believe stem cell research will be more beneficial, so why was it vetoed?

5. this needless war actually will help stimulate jobs and will help preserve jobs.

6. Thank you for thinking besides just the techincalitites of this debate and rather looking at it as a whole, you make debating fun, not frustrating :]

MiSSP
post Nov 22 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #99

Member No: 665,856

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Nov 21 2008, 08:35 PM) *
trust me, there are probably many different types of pain relievers that are safer than marijuana,the medicine that these people are taking probably have alternatives, then why not ban the medicine their taking right now? why legalize marijuana insteading of banning what they are currently taking? always trying to find relief instead of actually trying to tackle the issue would be more irrational in my opinion. Also there might be a reason that the FDA approved of whatever medicine your talking about and the reason they approved that medicine and made marijuana illegal is probably not even pointed out in this thread anyways and we are probably arguing over a broad statement without the facts, so for anyone in this thread to call anyone wrong would be irrational.

Erm, because ovbiously some of the medicine that is out isn't helping very much. =)
And pills? no thats not safer than marijuana. You can't overdose on weed, ya dig?

mipadi
post Nov 22 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #100

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

QUOTE(Aberisk @ Nov 22 2008, 01:04 AM) *
1. If we actually lived in a country that was free, then why do we have any leglislation at all, we might as well say murder is beneficial, because we could be killing people who could have been a threat and that would be considered constitutional?

Murder is different. If you murder someone, you are encroaching on their right to live. You don't have an inalienable right to unilaterally take away the rights of others. Murder could be beneficial, but we already allow murder in certain specific cases (e.g, self-defense).

2. The black market is necessary. Mafias and black markets have always played a strategic role to the economy and private industries which is why this country's government hasnt put a stop to it. If we really wanted to destroy the black market, we would have, but they can be beneficial in other ways.

Black markets obviously don't pay taxes, so how is this in any way beneficial? I suppose you could say that this market "creates jobs", but it's not like anyone really sees the benefits of such markets. Legalizing marijuana, on the other hand, would generate tax revenue and create jobs. I don't think the creation of jobs is necessarily a compelling reason to legalize marijuana, but claiming that the underground drug market is important for the economy isn't a compelling reason to keep marijuana illegal.

3. 50% is big number which, I do not agree with, but whether they were illegal drug offenders, or illegal computer hackers, there will always be innocent people who are offended of something. Legalizing Marijuana does not get rid of the fact of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, or simply having bad luck, its just reality.

You're missing the point: Most drug offenders are not violent. Most are not threats to society. They're just people who wanted to do something on their own private time, but the government stepped in and arbitrarily decided that they're not allowed to do something that's not harming anyone else. Therefore, we spend millions of dollars (maybe even more -- I don't have statistics handy) and a majority of prison space to imprison people who are no threat. Do we really want -- or need -- to be spending that kind of money to lock these people up? Furthermore, merely prosecuting these cases takes up time and money in the court system which could be better spent addressing "real" cases.

4. I believe stem cell research will be more beneficial, so why was it vetoed?

Fallacy of false dilemma: the choice isn't "either we legalize marijuana or we allow support cell research". We could easily do both. For the record, I think we should support stem cell research.

5. this needless war actually will help stimulate jobs and will help preserve jobs.

I don't think we need to infringe on the personal rights of Americans in order to create jobs. If jobs are important, legalize marijuana, then use the money saved from fighting it, and the money saved from incarcerating non-violent drug offenders, and use it to build dams or bridges or roads, or remodel schools, or develop alternative energy sources, or something else that will create jobs and be helpful to society.

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: