Help Topic Rules and Requirements

For a list of all requirements and guidelines pertaining to posting a new Help topic, please click here.

This Month's Contests | Staff Member of the Month | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | BigBookofResources

Submission Guidelines

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Table coding
funride
post Jul 29 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Funride.org

Group: Member
Member No: 542,299

Can someone point me to some tutorials that will teach me how to code in tables, I'm really interested and think there hell of a lot better than divs. Thanks a lot.

goneagain
post Jul 29 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #2

Group: Human
Member No: 762,696

No it is not. Stick with divs or learn HTML5.

schizo
post Jul 29 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 506,205

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp

Technically, they're not better than divs. I would only use them for keeping certain content neat, not your entire layout. Some people will tell you to not even use them for that, but it's really not that big of a deal if you do it correctly.

none345678
post Jul 29 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

I was always told that tables were the devil. a few notches above marquee.

Mikeplyts
post Jul 29 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #5

Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 676,291

I usually only use tables for forms and shit. Stick with DIV's, they're more flexible (for lack of a better word).

schizo
post Jul 30 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 506,205

Honestly, I think a design big wig said using tables was a sin for layouts and some dipwad at our general level read it and interpreted as you shouldn't use them at all. Then a cult of teenage designers started spreading the word without really knowing what the hell they were talking about. If you google it, most blogs say that table layouts are bad but organizing content with tables is fine.

goneagain
post Jul 30 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Group: Human
Member No: 762,696

QUOTE(schizo @ Jul 30 2010, 10:38 AM) *
Honestly, I think a design big wig said using tables was a sin for layouts and some dipwad at our general level read it and interpreted as you shouldn't use them at all. Then a cult of teenage designers started spreading the word without really knowing what the hell they were talking about. If you google it, most blogs say that table layouts are bad but organizing content with tables is fine.

Organizing content as in for list's and a stack of prices. When the <li> element isn't suitable.

Why the hell would someone want to clutter up there code with a whole bunch of tables just to get a margin right? When you can just add CSS? Don't ever use tables on less it's for a table/list of data.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: