Reply to this topicStart new topic
Battle of the Game Consoles, article + questions + discussion *crosses fingers*
superstitious
post Dec 29 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

First off, I'd prefer this to stay here and not moved to News because the real reason I'm posting this is to get a feel for what next gen console would be the best choice for me (um, and Iz, of course).

Hope Fades for PS3 as a Comeback Player
In Battle of the Game Consoles, Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox Widen Leads Over Sony's PlayStation
By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHI

TOKYO -- For most of this year, Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 videogame console seemed finally to be taking off after a slow start. The PS3, trailing Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 consoles, was closing in on the No. 2 Xbox 360, with new games and quarterly sales growth at twice the speed of last year.

But early results from this holiday season aren't promising. U.S. sales of the PS3 fell 19% last month from a year earlier, while sales doubled for the Wii console and rose 8% for the Xbox 360, according to research firm NPD. Analysts say they expect PS3 sales for this month to be flat or lower than last year, while sales for its rivals are likely to rise. And Sony may not reach its goal of selling 10 million PS3 consoles in the fiscal year through March, analysts say.

more here

Last year (2008, so almost last year) was a very financially straining year, so I decided to wait until I receive my tax returns to get a new console. I had my mind on a Wii for a while, but after visiting a friend who has a 360, I'm sort of conflicted now. Then I had read a few comments on Amazon (I was browsing through some games) and a few reviewers were singing PS3 praises and I became even more conflicted.

I'm sure many of you have one (if not more than one) of these, so I was hoping that people might find a bit of time to give me their take. Also, does a potential financial fallout have much of an impact? I mean, I'd hate to spend so much money on something that will possibly be obsolete in the near future. Maybe "obsolete" isn't the best word to use, but I'm not sure how else to phrase it.

I swear, I'm not always so cautious when it comes to game related purchases. I bought the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox without much thought. It's just that the new equipment seems like more of an investment as a whole.

If you could be specific as to why/if you have a preference, that would be great. :)

Eww
post Dec 29 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Official Member
Member No: 579,129

I think the wii's the best. It gets you physical, especially if you have the wii fit. It's really fun, too. I usually don't get bored of the same games either. Also, since it's for you and your son, I'd probably go with the wii too. I think the wii is more family friendly, if that makes sense.

Also, I have a PS3 and it just broke last week. No reason. It stopped reading disks.
It was only about a year old.

heyo-captain-jac...
post Dec 29 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #3

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

The 360 has a great selection of games, and I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest at this point. Online costs money, and red rings are a bitch

The PS3 doesn't have a great selection of games, but online is free, and in my opinion, it has the best graphics. Plus it can play 3 systems worth of games (PS1, PS2, PS3), instead of the two that the others play(Xbox and 360 or Gamecube and Wii).

The Wii is pretty cheap, and it has great gameplay, and a pretty good selection of games. It's graphics aren't great, and it's difficult to get used to the motion controls.

Jghelfi
post Dec 29 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Senior Senior Member

Member No: 571,541

OKay I have the 360, and My Newest Console The PS3, but Out of Both I would Say The 360 Is THE WINNER!...

It has over 980 GAMES! and The Best Multiplayer Action and The Best Servers for Online Play, Me Personally, I have to Play 24/7!

The 360 Has The Best Graphics Period.

Yea PS3 Has Bluray Big WHOOP, But Not Best Gameplay or Network...

Come ON, 400 For A Console! That's Bull&%@$!
Xbox Has Best Quality 199 for the Arcade, Good Price For A Console!

Simba
post Dec 29 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #5

Photoartist

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 399,390

Wii is a family console

xbox is for playing with friends online

PS3 is if you're a sucker for killer graphics

i.e.

Wii if you have friends IRL
Xbox if you have internet friends
PS3 if you got no friends or if you're just hecka baller rich

aight for real, Wii brings people together, no doubt, but it's probably as fun as the people you're playing with

xbox, you could say the games themselves are more fun

I don't have a PS3

TOOLBAGSIRNUTS
post Dec 29 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No: 704,636

Smells like fanboyism up in here

360 sucks
PS3 sucks
Wii sucks

The winner = PC.

The end

You can close this now

On a serious note: I've played all three, the Wii at home collects dust because after a week you realize that you're waving a remote at a screen like an idiot. I sold the 360 because I don't feel like paying a $50 yearly premium to play with friends, so I eventually bought a PS3 and the entire thing is a product of hype. Everything that the PS3 claims to be able to do is major fail.

In retrospect, all gaming consoles aren't that great, but if you had to get one of the three, the 360 takes the cake but not because of the reasons that other users claim, but that the 360 sucks the least out of all three consoles

Simba
post Dec 29 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Photoartist

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 399,390

ay I don't necessarily disagree with what your sayin', but $50 for a year is less than the cost of one game (regular priced)

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Dec 29 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #8

Drank wit your boy

Member No: 649,997

I have a Wii, and it sucks. After one week of flicking my arms, that shit got played out real quick. Only games I f*cks with is Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Kart, but I use the gamecube controller. I'm through playing Wii for the most part. The graphics are no good.

I'm going to get a PS3 when the price is below $300 because I know its the best system. The PS3 doesn't have games is a huge myth and misconception also. The one thing that sways me in the direction of the PS3, since it and the 360 have almost identical third party games, is the first party exclusives on the PS3 along with Metal Gear Solid 4.

I also f*cks with the 360 when I'm at work. Only prob is it has almost the same identical games as the PS3(you could say the same about the PS3). The only thing that has swayed me away from buying a 360 is unreliable hardware. The failure rate is much higher than that of its next gen rivals.

edit//
If its for your son though, I would def go with the Wii. Although I got bored with it, I'm pretty sure since he since he's young he will enjoy it. I notice whenever friends and family come over they have the time of their lives. If you're looking to be family oriented the Wii has those games you're looking for.

If you're they type that likes blockbuster type games. The 360 of PS3 would be a better choice. These usually fall under the ratings of rated T to Mature though.

mipadi
post Jan 27 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #9

Group: Administrator
Member No: 639,265

If I had money to buy any console on the market now, I'd buy an Xbox 360. Here's why:

The Wii is fun, but I see it as more of a party-type console. If you have a bunch of friends that come over a lot on Friday nights, you'll probably have fun playing it. But as far as I can tell, it seems like it's a bit lacking as far as single-player fun goes -- i.e., flailing your arms around madly is only fun when there're other people flailing their arms around madly, too. Plus, the game selection is a bit...blah. I've experienced this with my Nintendo DS, too. When it comes to the DS and the Wii, there seem to be a few categories of games: (1) kiddie games that are usually not that much fun for adults (with the exception of, e.g., Mario and related games); (b) arcade-style games like Geometry Wars that are fun, but not necessary $20-30 fun; © ports of console or PC games that aren't quite as good as their brethren, like Assassin's Creed; (d) really, really fun games. Unfortunately, the number of games that fall into D is small.

The PS3...well, it's pricey. Too pricey, in my book. And the game selection isn't that much better than for the Xbox 360, so there's not a compelling reason to buy it.

The Xbox 360, though, is a good balance: it's got a lot of fun games, and a good selection of games, and it's fun to play by yourself or with friends. Plus, Xbox Live rocks. The console itself is a bit pricey, and the peripherals are kind of pricey, too, but if you have the money to burn, I think the 360 is the best buy.

Jghelfi
post Jan 29 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Senior Senior Member

this is the only thing BAD about 360..
The one FLAW in the 360 database is the RING OF DEATH!!

god Microsoft knew that this would happen, but they choose NOT to fix it, so they just decide to EXTEND everyones Warranty to 3 years...damn they are lazy...

*KINGdinguhling*
post Jan 30 2009, 01:54 AM
Post #11

they all suck, PC wins

*KINGdinguhling*
post Jan 30 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #12

use two interfaces

Jghelfi
post Jan 31 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #13

Senior Senior Member

QUOTE(KINGdinguhling @ Jan 29 2009, 10:54 PM) *
they all suck, PC wins

Then why do you use PS3 then eh?

carolannexbh
post Jan 31 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #14

Member No: 619,081

I don't like the PS3, but its good if you love amazing graphics. Wii is good if you live at home with your parents and little brothers or sisters. 360 is what I prefer, for playing with friends. I don't really mind paying the $50 for the year, because if you pay by 3 months, you waste $30 bucks and like Juna said, it costs less than a regular game. My computer blows for playing games (other than sims lol) so thats not even an option.

Mikeplyts
post Jan 31 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #15

Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 676,291

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playbac...back-30/1285060

Which side are you on?

queen
post Jan 31 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #16

‹(. .)›

Member No: 20,089

"sony won't likely catch miscrosoft in the u.s. until at least 2014"

that's cause westerners have a different idea of good gameplay. i personally prefer the games for ps3/any other sony console over the 360. right now though, the wii is kicking both their asses.

vg chartz

Jghelfi
post Jan 31 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Senior Senior Member

XBOX 360.. Pros: Online play and Games..Cons: RED RING

ps3.. Pros: Blu Ray..cons: Online Play

But thats just my opinion...

XBOX RULES!

LittleMissSunshi...
post Jan 31 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #18

rawr?

Member No: 285,858

WTF! ps3 ^___^

DoubleJ
post Jan 31 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #19

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

You wanna know why 360 rules? I just activated my netflix account so that I can watch movies on it....beat that sony hoes!!!

Maccabee
post Jan 31 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #20

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

Its 4 to 2.
Xbox ftw.

Tramatize
post Jan 31 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #21

Member No: 585,380

Xbox 360, so what if it doesn't have blu-ray, i have a f*ckin DVD player for my movies and shit.
I hate the placement of buttons on the PS too, and my one friend is like "Xbox 360's always break down, get a ps3" and im like i dont play that shit as much as you and f*ck PS3 i dont have that f*ckin cash.

So Xbox 360 FTW

heyo-captain-jac...
post Jan 31 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #22

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

Do I really need to tell you why the PC wins?

none345678
post Jan 31 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #23

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

XBox 360. Even though mine just got that damn red ring thing. Since I play DVDs and what not on my computer, the ps3 really is nothing too special too me. Also it's way to expensive for me.

*KINGdinguhling*
post Jan 31 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #24

i wonder, would i buy a car if i knew that shit was gonna break down

Harp
post Jan 31 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #25

Member No: 683,235

^good point.

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: