Reply to this topicStart new topic
Acceptance letters season
synatribe
post Mar 10 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #1

AIDS at RAVES.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 598,878

So personally, I've been stressing over college acceptances, and I got my first rejection letter today so Im on this weird emotional trip because I keep thinking every university might think the same way.

So far,
I got accepted to UC Riverside and Cal State Long Beach (my back up schools)

the top choices im waiting on
Cal Poly Pomona
UC Davis
UC Santa Cruz
UC Irvine

My DREAM SCHOOLs (I would literally cry(jk) if I got accepted (hoping I am that 1%)
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara

I currently got rejected from
San Diego State University (their Business is prestigious and impacted which is probably why I got rejected)

stat wise
high school GPA : 3.67 weighted
Passed AP USH with a 3
EC's: MUN, Key Club, ASB, ITS
office positions: Key Club webmaster / Vice President, ASB Secretary, ITS webmaster

as you can see, the only thing on my app that makes me confident is my EC section, I dont really have stellar academic records

1. Do you think I have chances to my top choices? (not my DREAM schools)
2. Share some of your acceptances with us! :)

*Janette*
post Mar 10 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #2

If you're rejected from UCB and/or UCSC, a good part of the reason is probably that they're accepting less and less students due to budget cuts (and the accepted students may have a higher GPA). I know for UCB, the average gpa is like 3.9-4.0+ for incoming freshman.
I was going to apply to UCB as a transfer student, but then chose not to since the majority of private colleges (like the UC's) aren't doing so well with the cuts.

So private school it is! I'm waiting for my acceptance letter too.

synatribe
post Mar 10 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #3

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(Janette @ Mar 10 2010, 03:26 AM) *
If you're rejected from UCB and/or UCSC, a good part of the reason is probably that they're accepting less and less students due to budget cuts (and the accepted students may have a higher GPA). I know for UCB, the average gpa is like 3.9-4.0+ for incoming freshman.
I was going to apply to UCB as a transfer student, but then chose not to since the majority of private colleges (like the UC's) aren't doing so well with the cuts.

So private school it is! I'm waiting for my acceptance letter too.

smart choice :) Especially since privates look for more well rounded individuals than the typical UC or CSU system. May I ask what private school did you apply too?

iDecay
post Mar 10 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Pocketful of Sunshine

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 289,004

I think you have a chance, but there's no guarantee, obviously. I'm not really familiar with Santa Cruz, but I think Pomona and Davis are palpable. I'm still a junior, so no acceptance/rejection letters to talk about.

I'm totally with you on the EC. I am pretty well rounded there, but my grades aren't the best. I got a 3 on WHAP and I think I'm not going to do so well on the APUSH one too.. I'm pretty apprehensive about it because a 3 is just barely getting by with passing. zipped.gif

I can go on and on and rant, but I'm not going to, lol.

Oh, and Berkely is one of my dream schools too! :)

synatribe
post Mar 10 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #5

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(iDecay @ Mar 10 2010, 09:28 AM) *
I think you have a chance, but there's no guarantee, obviously. I'm not really familiar with Santa Cruz, but I think Pomona and Davis are palpable. I'm still a junior, so no acceptance/rejection letters to talk about.

I'm totally with you on the EC. I am pretty well rounded there, but my grades aren't the best. I got a 3 on WHAP and I think I'm not going to do so well on the APUSH one too.. I'm pretty apprehensive about it because a 3 is just barely getting by with passing. zipped.gif

I can go on and on and rant, but I'm not going to, lol.

Oh, and Berkely is one of my dream schools too! :)

Thats good, at least you have WHAP under your belt. Just a word of advice, Junior year is very crucial, Im pretty sure you're doing well but just always remember to be on top of things :) Also, thanks I really want to go to Pomona for a computer field major, not sure what though and Pomona is really well known for their engineering schools. :)

*Janette*
post Mar 11 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(synatribe @ Mar 10 2010, 06:06 AM) *
smart choice :) Especially since privates look for more well rounded individuals than the typical UC or CSU system. May I ask what private school did you apply too?
I'm applying to USF. But seriously, they accept virtually everyone haha.

I agree with Tina in that you'll probably have a good chance with UCD and Pomona though. (:

synatribe
post Mar 11 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #7

AIDS at RAVES.

I just got wait listed for Pomona urghh:/ this is one of my top 3 choices. Stupid colleges and impaction! Im hoping for the UC's now. Dang this is more stressful than I expected haha :) However lets all be optimistic EVERYONE! :) Also good luck to Janette for USF! :) Judging from your modest comments I believe you're smart and will most likely get in :)

pinacoolada
post Mar 26 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #8

roosternamedingo.

Group: Member
Member No: 333,926

AHHHHH.
Ready?

Accepted:
UMass Amherst
University of New Hampshire
Muhlenberg College

Rejected:
George Washington University
American University

Waiting:
Boston U
NYU
Barnard (HAHAHA)

Top choice:
Boston U <3

synatribe
post Mar 26 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #9

AIDS at RAVES.

I basically made my choice :) UC Riverside

Accepted:
UC Riverside
Cal State Long Beach

Rejected:
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
San Diego State
UC Irvine

Waitlisted:
UC Santa Cruz
Cal Poly Pomona

Im going to UC Riverside for sure though cause my best friend and I already agreed to dorm there :) good luck at Boston U! :) Also congrats on everyones acceptances! :)

This year was crazy though for the west! UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI and UCSB all had an average acceptance pool of 4.0 - 4.02 freakin crazy, college just gets harder and harder each year. UCSC with an average of 3.8 and UCR 3.7 and UC Merced with a 3.5 and Merced is only 5 years old! lol

tokyo-rose
post Mar 26 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #10

♡♡♡♡♡

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 108,478

QUOTE(synatribe @ Mar 26 2010, 09:06 PM) *
This year was crazy though for the west! UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI and UCSB all had an average acceptance pool of 4.0 - 4.02 freakin crazy, college just gets harder and harder each year. UCSC with an average of 3.8 and UCR 3.7 and UC Merced with a 3.5 and Merced is only 5 years old! lol

Really? I thought UCR was easy to get into.

synatribe
post Mar 26 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #11

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(Cristy @ Mar 26 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Really? I thought UCR was easy to get into.

UCR is one of the easier ones in the UC system but this year the competition was fierce. We were all surprised when some people got rejected, it must be the impaction. The UC's are definitely getting more and more popular. In general all the UC's are getting harder but at least the prestige of the UC system is growing :)

iDecay
post Mar 26 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #12

Pocketful of Sunshine

Member No: 289,004

QUOTE(synatribe @ Mar 26 2010, 06:43 PM) *
UCR is one of the easier ones in the UC system but this year the competition was fierce. We were all surprised when some people got rejected, it must be the impaction. The UC's are definitely getting more and more popular. In general all the UC's are getting harder but at least the prestige of the UC system is growing :)

f*ck, I am screwed..

synapse
post Mar 27 2010, 01:41 AM
Post #13

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 514,926

QUOTE(pinacoolada @ Mar 26 2010, 05:38 PM) *
Rejected:
American University

Waiting:
Boston U

Top choice:
Boston U <3

Good luck. My friend got into AU with so-so grades and a bare extracurricular. The people I know of getting accepted to BostonU are like 4.0 and tons of good stuff in their high school resume.

synatribe
post Mar 27 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #14

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(iDecay @ Mar 26 2010, 11:31 PM) *
f*ck, I am screwed..

Dont worry haha something will most likely work out.

QUOTE(synapse @ Mar 27 2010, 01:41 AM) *
Good luck. My friend got into AU with so-so grades and a bare extracurricular. The people I know of getting accepted to BostonU are like 4.0 and tons of good stuff in their high school resume.

Good luck with Boston U its like rank 54 on US news which is pretty good :)

Source : http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....ities-rankings/

Tung
post Mar 27 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #15

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

lol? UC Riverside is like 90% guaranteed to get in LMAO. I had friends who got accepted without even applying at all. HAHAHAHA. Dang you must really suck to get rejected to UC Santa Cruz too, cuz that's hella easy to get into hahahaha. UC Santa Barbara is also hella easy to get into too. Man you suck haha. Your personal statment must really be bad, cuz my GPA was a 3.72 not much higher than yours, and i got accepted into UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC San Diego, and UC Irvine. That's with a 1490/2400 SAT score. LOL.

Have fun at UCR with rejects lmao. oh and Sang (relentless) goes there. hahahaha

tokyo-rose
post Mar 27 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #16

♡♡♡♡♡

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 108,478

QUOTE(Tung @ Mar 27 2010, 03:19 PM) *
lol? UC Riverside is like 90% guaranteed to get in LMAO. I had friends who got accepted without even applying at all. HAHAHAHA.

Yeah, that's what I thought. One of my friends got into UCR without even applying.

synatribe
post Mar 27 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #17

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(Tung @ Mar 27 2010, 02:19 PM) *
lol? UC Riverside is like 90% guaranteed to get in LMAO. I had friends who got accepted without even applying at all. HAHAHAHA. Dang you must really suck to get rejected to UC Santa Cruz too, cuz that's hella easy to get into hahahaha. UC Santa Barbara is also hella easy to get into too. Man you suck haha. Your personal statment must really be bad, cuz my GPA was a 3.72 not much higher than yours, and i got accepted into UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC San Diego, and UC Irvine. That's with a 1490/2400 SAT score. LOL.

Have fun at UCR with rejects lmao. oh and Sang (relentless) goes there. hahahaha

You must have been lucky 1490? lol shit thats horrible I thought I did bad with a 1630. Also I had my personal statement reviewed by a UCLA grad student and a UC Berkeley Alum so I dont think it was horrible and I never got rejected from Santa Cruz. Thinking about it, maybe its a good thing I didnt get accepted to those schools you got into, I would have to deal with pompous ass's like you.

QUOTE(Cristy @ Mar 27 2010, 02:24 PM) *
Yeah, that's what I thought. One of my friends got into UCR without even applying.

Yea this is true, my future dorm mate didnt apply but he got in because he was rejected to all the UC's he applied too. he had 3.5 unweighted / 3.7 weighted, 1890 on SAT and is in ASB and was rejected from UCLA, UCI and UCSD. Usually UCR and UC merced tend to take in students who were rejected everywhere else but meet the requirements for the UC system

P.S - UCR has a 78.6% acceptance rate not 90

Tung
post Mar 27 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #18

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

the trick when applying to college is to see which department each college is weak in. that's where you should apply your major to be. yeah gpa and sat scores matter somewhat, but not really. it all depends what major you are applying under alot too. and personal statement plays a huge role. most incoming freshmans don't understand that you can always change your major later on when you get accepted.

ps. i don't think i got lucky. you can't get lucky 4 times. UCI, UCB, UCD, and UCSD are all pretty tough UC's to get into, considering my GPA and sat scores.

pps. 78.6%..90% makes no different. that's still like more than double the acceptance rate of all the other top UC's.

ppps. i'm not being pompous. i'm just saying don't be so proud you got into UCR. in fact i think you should go to community college for two years than transfer to a UC of your liking. why? because if you haven't heard there's a 32% tuition increase next year. Meaning instead of paying $7k a quarter, you're paying $10.5k. Why pay $10.5k a quarter for a mediocre UC. I'm not saying Davis is SOOOO much better, it's at least kinda worth it to pay that much. My advice, is to save money dude, and go to a CC. I wished I went to a CC for my first two years. Hell I would have saved a shit load of money.

sixfive
post Mar 27 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #19

Member No: 653,768

QUOTE(synatribe @ Mar 27 2010, 08:16 PM) *
You must have been lucky 1490? lol shit thats horrible I thought I did bad with a 1630. Also I had my personal statement reviewed by a UCLA grad student and a UC Berkeley Alum so I dont think it was horrible and I never got rejected from Santa Cruz. Thinking about it, maybe its a good thing I didnt get accepted to those schools you got into, I would have to deal with pompous ass's like you.
Yea this is true, my future dorm mate didnt apply but he got in because he was rejected to all the UC's he applied too. he had 3.5 unweighted / 3.7 weighted, 1890 on SAT and is in ASB and was rejected from UCLA, UCI and UCSD. Usually UCR and UC merced tend to take in students who were rejected everywhere else but meet the requirements for the UC system

P.S - UCR has a 78.6% acceptance rate not 90

you sound stupid

synatribe
post Mar 27 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #20

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(Tung @ Mar 27 2010, 10:53 PM) *
the trick when applying to college is to see which department each college is weak in. that's where you should apply your major to be. yeah gpa and sat scores matter somewhat, but not really. it all depends what major you are applying under alot too. and personal statement plays a huge role. most incoming freshmans don't understand that you can always change your major later on when you get accepted.

ps. i don't think i got lucky. you can't get lucky 4 times. UCI, UCB, UCD, and UCSD are all pretty tough UC's to get into, considering my GPA and sat scores.

pps. 78.6%..90% makes no different. that's still like more than double the acceptance rate of all the other top UC's.

ppps. i'm not being pompous. i'm just saying don't be so proud you got into UCR. in fact i think you should go to community college for two years than transfer to a UC of your liking. why? because if you haven't heard there's a 32% tuition increase next year. Meaning instead of paying $7k a quarter, you're paying $10.5k. Why pay $10.5k a quarter for a mediocre UC. I'm not saying Davis is SOOOO much better, it's at least kinda worth it to pay that much. My advice, is to save money dude, and go to a CC. I wished I went to a CC for my first two years. Hell I would have saved a shit load of money.

1. Cool maybe you didnt get lucky 4 times but when you entered college and current times differ greatly right now. You wont be able to get anywhere with a 1490 SAT score

2. 78.6 and 90% makes a difference. Sure it might be double the acceptance rates of UCB and LA but thats because there are 2 times more applicants for those school. All the UC's accept around the same amount of student

3. I know you can change majors. I put Business administration for UCR and I plan to change to Computer Science or to a computer engineering field

4. Why should I not be proud of getting into UCR? Im hella proud. I said they were my backup schools not schools I condemned. Why would I apply to a school if I did not see any prestige in it?

4.1 UCR is still prestigious and known throughout the nation as a pioneering research school. In 2012 UCR will be the only UC out of the 9 Undergrad UC's to house a research Medical School. Sure it might not rank high as the other UC's but it's still a tier 1 school that ranks in the top 100 Undergrad universities in the nation.

4.2 I never did or will I complain about my eduction at UCR, just because the other UC's more popular dosent mean that UCR is ran by a bunch of Monkeys. You should also know that the only way schools get better is if the students are proud to go to that school. It's people like you Tung who complain about Universities being bad but dont take initiative and decide to sit back and laugh. That's a shame knowing you were accepted to some of the nations finest schools.

4.3 As far as tuition, I dont think thats any of your business. Since UCR/FAFSA grants handed me a scholarship of almost 20K a year, Im not going to complain so much about the 32% increase

5. Im proud to be a future student of UCR

6. Do your research before you outweigh stereotypes with facts

sixfive
post Mar 27 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #21

4. Why should I not be proud of getting into UCR? Im hella proud. I said they were my backup schools not schools I condemned. Why would I apply to a school if I did not see any prestige in it?

Because you're desperate and it was the only school you knew would accept you regardless of a shitty letter or grades? I mean, cmon, surrrrrriously? We have a school in the University of Texas network in San Antonio - UTSA. It has a high acceptance rate and a lot of people apply because if they can't get into the school they'd like to, well at least they can go to college.

sixfive
post Mar 27 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #22

http://www.boardrider.com/ddb/RiversideSucks.html

synatribe
post Mar 27 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #23

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(serotonin @ Mar 27 2010, 11:39 PM) *

is that seriously your argument? That can be said about every city/suburb. In fact I agree with some of the comments like there are lots of citrus farms. Sure the surrounding area is not like Downtown LA, what do you expect? I actually enjoyed visiting the campus and the campus is actually very nice and clean.

My question to you Serotonin is:

How does the surrounding area detract from the education offered at UCR?

sixfive
post Mar 27 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #24

Let me answer your question with a question:

What education?

synatribe
post Mar 27 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #25

AIDS at RAVES.

QUOTE(serotonin @ Mar 27 2010, 11:36 PM) *
Because you're desperate and it was the only school you knew would accept you regardless of a shitty letter or grades? I mean, cmon, surrrrrriously? We have a school in the University of Texas network in San Antonio - UTSA. It has a high acceptance rate and a lot of people apply because if they can't get into the school they'd like to, well at least they can go to college.

Im desperate? lol go ahead jump to conclusions but you dont seem to understand my point in fact I was accepted in to every cal state I applied to except San Diego. My final choice was UCR because I did my research and realized its a school I can be proud of

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: