2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
I'm 20 & parents still won't let me go out
pkbabe
post Dec 28 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 485,651

Ok. I'm a 20 yr old female & parents are super strict about me going out. The last time I went out I did it without their permission because I thought their permission wasn't needed since I was only out from noon to 5:30pm....

& yet I STILL get yelled at! The last time I ASKED to go out they shot it down & just told me to stay home because I "supposably" always go out

& my dumb step mother thinks that I only go out go "fool around" with guys like I'm some sort of whore! Telling me that shes starting to worry about my "sudden change of behavior". What sudden change of behavior? That I don't always stay home all the time?

Geez whats a girl to do? I plan to get myself a job & hopefully move out someday but the job part hasn't really come along yet. I was thinking of maybe temporarily living with my bf & his fam (maybe like 2-3 months after I get a job) til I get things rolling. What do you guys think?

EddieV
post Dec 28 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #2

cB Assassin

Group: Official Member
Member No: 7,672

If you find the answer to this, please do tell me.

transcendentalis...
post Dec 28 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #3

sleep now, moon

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 526,212

what are you doing to find a job? they usually don't just come along.. have you gone to college?

MissHygienic
post Dec 28 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Resource Center Tyrant

Member No: 593,306

Moving in with your boyfriend is a stupid idea if he's nothing long-term or serious. Where are you going to go in the case you guys break-up? Have you even thought of a Plan B? Are you just going to crawl back to your family, or possibly harness another guy into your hands and live with him and his family, then? Boyfriends come and go, but family will always be there, and if you're routinely being fed, clothed, and you have a boyfriend even though you never go out, just suck it up. Not being able to go out is not the worst thing in the world.

deplorable
post Dec 28 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #5

we go a-drowning

Member No: 519,725

i think you should get yourself a cheap appartment and get a taste of life and freedom. and stop being dependent on other (including you boyfriend and his family) and write your own life.

if its only for a couple months, youll survive

oXMuhNirvanaXo
post Dec 28 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Member No: 85,903

Ok this is a big wtf mate.. you are other the age of 18 and it's your life and not your step mothers.. Just say screw you.. I wanna go out. That is what I have to say about that.

DoubleJ
post Dec 28 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #7

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

Thank God I don't have this problem. I think that when a person is over the age of 18 and they can't go out on their own without permission, something is definitely wrong with that.

queen
post Dec 28 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #8

‹(. .)›

Member No: 20,089

at least they care about you. there are people whose parents couldn't give a crap about them. like someone said above, you're stuck with family. you shouldn't move out on a whim unless it's serious. i mean, it's not like they're abusing you.

sure, you're 20, and when you turn 21, they'll still probably treat you the same way. if your parents are traditional, chances are they don't see an age wherein you'll be able to go against their orders. but if you start to show responsibility, (like you said getting a job), they might loosen up on you a little 'cause they'll learn to trust you.

ReggieM
post Dec 28 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #9

we jerkin'

Member No: 210,730

my family is the same way just get a job and save and dont go out till you have enough money to move out,my dad is out of state so im partying till he comes back and then ill continue to stay home. They are only doing it for the best of you and you are getting free nescetties which is pretty good. It will be really hard living on your own. DONT wait for them to kick you out get a job quick and make money. Because once you're kicked out you cant really come back and it will get EXTREMELY hard from there.

shaixe
post Dec 28 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Member No: 505,650

pkbabe,
I'm in the EXACT same boat you are. I'm 20 years old, living at home with my dad and step-mom trying to pay for school. I'm not allowed to go anywhere without permission (including work!). They check my banking records, my phone records, and they watch the mileage on my car.

I don't know if you're enrolled in a university, but that's my exit strategy. I'm getting a dorm room in January and what I can't pay for I'll handle with student loans. My dad says I'm borrowing from my future, but I think having my independance is well worth any debt. I'd suggest doing the same thing. I don't know how much apartments cost in your area, but do some research if school isn't as tasteful for you as it is for me.

A roommate is deffinately a good option, but I wouldn't opt for your boyfriend. Get a close, GIRL friend and make sure you both lay down some rules. I'd guess a cheap, but decent apartment, split two ways, would be about $300 a month. Including utilities, the price might go up to $400. I don't know if you have car payments, or insurance, or what, but you'll have to include that as well.

Any job as a server would be a decent way to pay your bills. Just make sure you're a good worker.

Before you move out though, take some advice and SAVE your money! Save as much as you possibly can! I'd guess 3k might give you a good enough start, but even still, it goes fast if you're not prepared. Trust me. I don't even have my dorm room yet, and I expect to be spending nearly all of my savings.

Good luck! Please, feel free to message me if you want to talk. I truly know what you're going through, and it might be nice to share complaints. :) Lol.

MrStrife
post Dec 28 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #11

CheccMate Foo!

Member No: 487,531

You gotta fight

For your right

TO PARTY!!!!

jessibabe
post Dec 28 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Member No: 604,912

You know what, I got the answer for you, girl...

You have to pull yourself together and think about it the long-term consequences of your situation. You can't just do everything in the spur of the moment and act like your parents won't matter in the future. THEY PAY FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. Like some people have said... it's NOT a big deal... life moves on. And be happy they care for you.

ReggieM
post Dec 28 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #13

we jerkin'

oh yea i wanted to live in the dorms but i live to close to campus =/.

pkbabe
post Dec 29 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #14

Member No: 485,651

...yea...I've been trying to find myself a job (of course behind the parents back because they don't even allow me to have a job stubborn.gif )

I do go to college. Studying to be an RN (Registered Nurse) & I thought of going through the RT program (Respiratory Therapist) as well since its the same path as an RN & get licensed. Then once I'm an RT, I can continue with the path of being an RN while at the same time earn a decent amount of money (from I what researched its about $20+ an hr)

So I suppose I can wait a yr...I need 6 months of rent money before moving out anyways. Its only practical

& thank you for your inputs everyone. Greatly appreciated _smile.gif

mytangerine
post Dec 29 2007, 03:45 AM
Post #15

Member No: 406,557

you're an ADULT. tell your parents to shut the fxck up. stubborn.gif

NewUsername
post Dec 29 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #16

I am a ninja.

Member No: 605,151

My parents are the same way. I have to lie a lot of the time to go places. I hate lying to my parents but... sometimes it's easier than the truth.

MissFits
post Dec 29 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #17

Member No: 531,256

You are 20 f**king years old.
It's not like your a major f**k up, you are in college and I am assuming you do well...
Sit your parents down and talk to them, don't yell or freak out. Just tell them that they should trust you to go out on your own. If they still insist upon sheltering you from the world go out anyway. Find your own place and just go.

I did it when I was 16, you can do it now.

ReggieM
post Dec 29 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #18

we jerkin'

missfits you proably dont understand its totally different for different types of people and parents. you cant just assume that will work because parents have different backgrounds and morals and that may be a form of disrespect.

MissFits
post Dec 29 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #19

Member No: 531,256

I cant assume that her parents wont be able to tell her what to do if she has her own place?
She is her own person. If her parents try to run her life for the rest of her life she is not going to be happy. She knows what she wants and she deserves to go after it. If she makes mistakes she will learn from them.

MrStrife
post Dec 29 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #20

CheccMate Foo!

Member No: 487,531

Sorry but it's their house and it's their rules. Try to work out a better agreement and compromise. Bad idea living with your bf. Trust me, I've had experience and it ended up as a complicated mess. If all else fails: get a job, save money, and move out.

SharperMyspace
post Dec 29 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #21

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 601,314

Maybe the don't trust you because you are 20, no job, no college, and living at home... That's just my opinion.

MissHygienic
post Dec 29 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #22

Resource Center Tyrant

Member No: 593,306

QUOTE(SharperMyspace @ Dec 29 2007, 11:13 PM) *
Maybe the don't trust you because you are 20, no job, no college, and living at home... That's just my opinion.

She is in college, and probably doesn't have time to get a job in between studying.

But, like I said, if they're paying for your education, food, clothing, the house in which you live, get over it. While you live with them, you live by their rules, even though you are an adult by physical age.

laydee hottness
post Dec 30 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #23

Member No: 209,389

omg my ridiculous parents are the SAME way. I can't even go to a friend's house, or have lunch withOUT them. I'm 17 though =[. I got hired at hollister and right when i was suppose to start, they said i couldnt work 'til i turned 18. Hence, i can't move out at the moment, and i'm basically stuck at home and doing crap for them. I plan to move in with my boyfriend next year.

Transfer to a further school if you must. GET A JOB despite what they say, you're 20. Good luck <3

MrElsewhere
post Dec 30 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #24

Change Gon Come

Member No: 18,822

You're a grown person, FFS. GTFO as fast as possible. Go with your boyfriend and his family for a while, and if all else fails, pray to Chuck Norris, for in Chuck Norris, all things are possible.

xSybarite
post Dec 31 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #25

I <3 my dog

Member No: 512,880

You're an adult now, you don't need your parents telling you what to do. Why don't you just move out or something?

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: