2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
how do you get to sleep?, for those insomniacs like me
batman
post Mar 13 2011, 05:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 696,018

it's been impossible for me lately, even with ambien which usually knocks me out. benadryl does absolutely nothing and neither does nyquil.

i've only been able to sleep about 1-2 hours every night for the past week. i'm tired but i just can't sleep.

datass
post Mar 13 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #2

(′ ・ω・`)

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 72,477

i get sleepy after a warm bath, try that?

creole
post Mar 13 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Member No: 676,364

hot shower, read some boring wikipedia articles, or i just close my eyes and pretend like i'm walking somewhere or i'm lying down at a warm deserted beach / meadow

Maccabee
post Mar 13 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Member No: 593,382

Read for 30 mins, don't look at monitors, and then just count up.

gojira
post Mar 14 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #5

◕ ◡ ◕

Group: Official Member
Member No: 416,697

fitness during the day / melatonin (it doesn't induce drowsiness)

smash
post Mar 14 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #6

f your couch

Member No: 491,301

QUOTE(gojira @ Mar 14 2011, 07:10 AM) *
fitness during the day / melatonin (it doesn't induce drowsiness)

This. Tylenol pm helps me stay asleep. No matter how tired I am I usually end up tossing, turning, and waking up a few times a night. Not with tpm though.

DoubleJ
post Mar 14 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #7

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

I would be scared with tpm, just because I might stay asleep for hella long.

batman
post Mar 16 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #8

ambien is working for me again.

lol i took an ambien, but then i felt itchy so my friend told me to take a bath and i was like "OK" and i took a bath and fell asleep in the bathtub for 8 hrs.

Maccabee
post Mar 16 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(batman @ Mar 16 2011, 12:09 PM) *

lol i took an ambien, but then i felt itchy so my friend told me to take a bath and i was like "OK" and i took a bath and fell asleep in the bathtub for 8 hrs.

did you drown?

heyo-captain-jac...
post Mar 16 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #10

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

I think on ambien the last thing I would want to do is surround myself by water

superstitious
post Mar 17 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #11

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

QUOTE(batman @ Mar 16 2011, 12:09 PM) *

Zolpidem (Ambien) gave me some f*cked up dreams.

This may sound/read very hippie of me, but I've been sleeping well using Natura Sound Therapy. http://www.blissive.com/, http://download.cnet.com/Natura-Sound-Ther...4-10068715.html

I try not to take any time of medications unless completely necessary.

batman
post Mar 17 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #12

ambien makes me go on a light trip if i get woken up. sound therapy doesn't work for me. i think the problem isn't that i can't go to sleep but that i can't stay asleep. without ambien, i wake up every 2 hrs and it's hard to get back to sleep after i wake up.

QUOTE(Maccabee @ Mar 16 2011, 06:25 PM) *
did you drown?

yes, i drowned.

gojira
post Mar 17 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #13

◕ ◡ ◕

fitness man - it'd lift your mood and put you to sleep (can't say i'm less bitter but yeah in general i feel better about myself)

i used to be pretty dependent on sleeping aids because i was frustrated i couldn't fall asleep immediately or within an hour. but it never got to point where i stayed up for several days. i don't find sounds relaxing but more of an annoyance and found that i get better sleep when everything is off and i'm not on my phone before i get in bed.

almost everything should be able to wait until next morning to worry about. sleep is important.

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Mar 17 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #14

Drank wit your boy

Member No: 649,997

I jack off. When I wake up in the morning, I sometimes wonder why I got my d!ck in my hand. _unsure.gif

gojira
post Mar 17 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #15

◕ ◡ ◕

LOL

batman
post Mar 17 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(gojira @ Mar 17 2011, 10:33 AM) *
fitness man - it'd lift your mood and put you to sleep (can't say i'm less bitter but yeah in general i feel better about myself)

i used to be pretty dependent on sleeping aids because i was frustrated i couldn't fall asleep immediately or within an hour. but it never got to point where i stayed up for several days. i don't find sounds relaxing but more of an annoyance and found that i get better sleep when everything is off and i'm not on my phone before i get in bed.

almost everything should be able to wait until next morning to worry about. sleep is important.

i've been going running for the past week and it's helping a little. like it's easier to fall asleep, but i still keep waking up after 2 hrs >.<

i think it might be my medications that are messing with my sleep schedule.

saintsaens
post Mar 22 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #17

monster hunter

Member No: 18,188

real easy, stay off the computer dummy.

your computer's light is designed to emulate the sun's bright lights so it messes with your brain when you're staring into "the sun's light" all day, all night. at this point it's probably a habit for you to not sleep and dick around

it's really bad for you to have irregular sleep, you should be getting at least 5 minimum. did you know you're more likely to take risks as someone who doesnt get enough sleep? there's a whole bunch of other articles that are out now that show that lack of sleep is HUGELY detrimental to your health.

look, first off let's try to break that habit of staying up late on the computer. 2nd off, i'd recommend trying this program. it'll maybe help with the brightness situation.

third, stay off the computer, get some ear plugs and try to go to bed by 1:00AM latest. it's going to be hard as hell the first few days or weeks trying to get your body back on normal track (but that's the price you pay) and it might involve a few nights of just laying there for hours before you fall asleep.

fourth, try to find a routine before you go to bed. like, read a book or something. change the lighting, listen to calming music

fifth, stay off the f*cking computer dweeb

saintsaens
post Mar 22 2011, 01:10 AM
Post #18

monster hunter

Member No: 18,188

it's of my opinion as well that medications for depression or sleep aids are probably going to do more damage to you than being of any help.

if you got issues you need to work them outyourself and perhaps find natural remedies for your mood (eat bananas and oranges) or drinking some nice warm tea or milk before going to bed. medications are definitely going to mess up your sleep cycle since it's fukken with your brain and shit and god knows what it's actually doing to you besides what it's meant to do (doctors STILL are finding out shit about the medicatoin they're so happy to prescribe to you)

you should be excercising 3/4 times a week (just running won't be enough) and you should be stretching once every few hours every day, and drinking lots of water to stay hydrated among other things.

you should be finding better and more fulfilling hobbies to do and don't tell anyone cause it's a hobby and you shouldn't have other people infringe on your own personal leisure time

oh and you should definitely just accept fate that you might be alone for a long time. you are essentially alone in some philosophical aspect and you definitely die alone. being alone is one part of life that all should learn to accept and master. find joy and comfort and quiet in being alone. to me you come off as disorganized with your own personal life because you're scared to work out the kinks when it's dead quiet. you won't find any happiness or solace if you don't have your life in control and together. learn to master your body. apostle paul likens spirituality to an athelete training and disciplining his body to win the race - the game.

be still young heart. never will you fall apart.

brooklyneast05
post Mar 22 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #19

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i agree with podo on the regular sleep thing.

people with f*cked up sleep schedules aren't gonna sleep good imo. most people i talk to who have issues falling asleep are people with crazy insomniac schedules. you gotta go to bed at a decent time and you gotta do that every night so your body sets up a routine. i used to tell this to sandy all the time and she used to make fun of me stubborn.gif because i'm an old man aka i go to bed consistently between 10 and 11 usually. i am a great sleeper though, i usually fall asleep fast.

that being said i realize there are legit reasons that people could have issues sleeping. my gf goes through phases of having sleep issues. but usually people haven't good sleep schedules a real chance.

oh yeah and make sure your room is cool/cold. the only time i have issues going to sleep typically is when the room isn't cool enough. your body temp rises when sleeping anyway so even if it feels perfect when you are initially going to bed it will probably be not as perfect sleeping conditions once your temperature rises.

ummm don't drink starbucks before bed?

oh yeah and i find it's good to have a "wind down" activity rather than going straight from whatever you're doing to trying to go to sleep. taking a shower helps me relax. reading is a good wind down activity. or for me just tv. i'll get in bed at 10 lots of times and just watch tv until 11. laying there relaxing prior to going to sleep is good to me.

either way i just think routine is a really important part of sleep. im biased maybe because i'm an extremely routine person, but still.

DoubleJ
post Mar 22 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #20

The Resident Drunk

I slept sixteen hours last night...after getting sixteen hours sleep total the past four nights

DoubleJ
post Mar 22 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #21

The Resident Drunk

I slept sixteen hours last night...after getting sixteen hours sleep total the past four nights

Maccabee
post Mar 22 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #22

am I the only one that's noticed how black people and college students love sleeping in the cold?

heyo-captain-jac...
post Mar 22 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #23

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

QUOTE(Maccabee @ Mar 22 2011, 08:10 PM) *
am I the only one that's noticed how black people and college students love sleeping in the cold?

I hate sleeping where it's hot. if it's much more than 60 F I have trouble going to sleep

itsclyde
post Mar 23 2011, 03:04 AM
Post #24

<:3 )~~~

Group: Human
Member No: 757,639

if my bed is made before i get in, i sleep like a baby. also if my clothes aren't all over the floor and my shit is in it's proper place. messy space = messy mind imo

Maccabee
post Mar 23 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #25

I have this problem where every single night when I get in bed the inside of my thighs start itching and then I scratch them and they get red and swollen and then I can't sleep. I can't figure out why it happens, cause it does it whether I'm wearing shorts or not.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: