Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can you be two religions?, Christian and an atheist
AyeVickaye
post Jul 8 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 682,013

I have 2 friends that claim they're more than one religion. One claims that she is Catholic and atheist (being that her dad is Catholic and the mom is atheist). My other friend claims she is Catholic and Buddhist (being that her dad is Catholic and the mom buddhist)...When they asked them about it...I was like 'what? you cant be two different religions...Its either or but not both..' Can you be two different religions??

hi-C
post Jul 8 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Amberific.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 29,772

I don't see why not. I think it's definitely possible to combine religious tenants in the self-governing of one's life. In regards to atheists, it's possible to not believe in God, but believe in the basic, non-religious morals and ethics a certain religion implies; i.e. atheists don't go around killing people just because they're atheist.

Maccabee
post Jul 9 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 593,382

No.

Gigi
post Jul 9 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #4

in a matter of time

Member No: 191,357

I don't think so, but only if you take each religion in their respective, strictest meanings. You can't be fully Catholic or fully Atheist; they just completely contradict each other (Atheism isn't a religion anyway, it's a LACK of belief in God or some kind of higher being, but that's just a technicality, really).

Then again, I've always been a person that thought taking one religious completely seriously was a ridiculous idea. It's one thing to read and interpret religious materials as metaphors and use the teachings as a moral compass to guide the decisions you make in life, but another thing to worship the writings of any particular religion literally (this is why I'll always laugh at Creationists). So if you're going by the former, it's completely reasonable to adhere to two religions by combining ideas and beliefs, like Carrie said.

Tramatize
post Jul 9 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #5

Group: Official Member
Member No: 585,380

Just because one of your parents are a certain religion doesn't mean you have to be or are that religion, that is of course unless one of those parents forced you to believe in that religion since you were a kid.
You can't believe in God and Jesus, but believe there is no such thing as God.

AyeVickaye
post Jul 9 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #6

Member No: 682,013

My friend says shes catholic and buddhist but she doesn't attend church or really practice the other religion...She said that jst because her dad is Catholic then she's Catholic as well.. and her mom is Buddhist so she says that she's buddhist as well...I know right...jst because your parent is a certain religion doesn't mean that you are that religion as well...gosh

kryogenix
post Jul 9 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #7

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Member No: 29

Your friend is either ignorant, or being intellectually dishonest. The answer is no. Religions contain several mutually exclusive ideas. Mutually exclusive ideas cannot be true simultaneously.

Using the example that you've given, Roman Catholicism requires the belief in a triune God. Atheism is the lack of belief in any God. How can you believe both these things at the same time? It's a similar case for Buddhism and Catholicism. You cannot be a Catholic and something else at the same time.

There is absolutely zero leeway given regarding Catholic dogma. To reject a single aspect of Catholic dogma is to declare yourself anathema from the Catholic Church.

QUOTE(hi-C @ Jul 9 2009, 12:57 AM) *
I don't see why not. I think it's definitely possible to combine religious tenants in the self-governing of one's life. In regards to atheists, it's possible to not believe in God, but believe in the basic, non-religious morals and ethics a certain religion implies; i.e. atheists don't go around killing people just because they're atheist.

What you're referring to is syncretism in the first part of your post.

The second part of your post is simply overlapping beliefs. I believe in the God of Abraham. So do Jews and Muslims. But I call myself neither Jew nor Muslim.

Uronacid
post Jul 9 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #8

Member No: 555,438

Your friend is an idiot. See Kyro's post (the one above mine). He's a walking contradiction.

-DressYourEyelid...
post Jul 9 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #9

Member No: 727,246

your friend seems to be confusing religion with nationality...

medic
post Jul 11 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #10

Seoul Rocks!

Member No: 155,811

I don't really know how other religions feel about it, but I was brought up Jewish, and from what my parents and others have told me, you can be Jewish without actually being Jewish. I don't really know how, but that's what I was told.

I think that being Jewish can mean many things. It can be a cultural affiliation, an attachment to tradition, feeling part of community or even just a like of cream cheese bagels.

LittleMissSunshi...
post Jul 11 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #11

rawr?

Member No: 285,858

you can't be in both, that's just believing in things when you don't want to or when you need to. plus just because your parents are two different religions doesn't mean that you're automatically the two.. it just contradicts one another, which is unreasonable.

dosomethin888
post Jul 11 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #12

Member No: 663,413

No

emberfly
post Jul 11 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #13

kthxbai

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 621,203

QUOTE(jcp @ Jul 9 2009, 12:29 AM) *
No.

brooklyneast05
post Jul 11 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #14

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Jul 9 2009, 02:41 AM) *
Your friend is either ignorant, or being intellectually dishonest. The answer is no. Religions contain several mutually exclusive ideas. Mutually exclusive ideas cannot be true simultaneously.

seasonal0.gif approves this

angelsdiss
post Jul 21 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Member No: 738,371

I would say that it isn't really possible to be more than one religion. Although some of them may have similar beliefs and values they will contradict at some point. You might agree with some of the morals of several religions, but that doesn't make you all of them. And I agree with several posts before, that just because your parent is one religion doesn't make you that religion. In short, no, it isn't.

res8zenith
post Jul 21 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #16

Member No: 569,515

QUOTE(-DressYourEyelids- @ Jul 9 2009, 10:50 AM) *
your friend seems to be confusing religion with nationality...

^ LOL which is totally gay, what are they, 4 years old?!

well NO duh, that's why there's so many dang religions in the world, one for everything you are looking for, like a certain computer, there's one for everyone.

but WHAT YOUR PARENTS ARE DOENS'T HAVE TO APPLY TO YOU
just because one of my Catholic and the others Buddhist, doesn't mean i'm BOTH,
i can choose to be Catholic OR Buddhist OR SOMETHING ELSE.

so your friends are uh not so very darn bright i'm sorry to say.

nxcxlx
post Aug 14 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #17

Member No: 742,125

First off, I don't think your friends are that serious about their religions in the first place. If they are simply basing their beliefs on their parents, but are ignorant to the actual practices of the religion, then what's the point?
However, even if they were knowledgeable, I don't think it is possible to belong to 2 religious parties due to the fact that you must have 100% pure loyalty and faith to one. But if you have several beliefs in a numerous amount of religions, then it is no true religion but a personal belief system you have invented for yourself.

penpen15
post Aug 25 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #18

Member No: 584,739

Man, people need to learn how to read and do more research before they speak.

hypnotique
post Sep 5 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #19

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

I can understand someone being catholic but not really trusting or believing in the human ran aspect of church and all that silliness but I really don't think you can both believe in god and then not believe in god at the sometime..

FizzyMilk
post Sep 8 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #20

Member No: 742,752

that doesn't make any sense.
it's not like being African or Canadian or something, it's religion.
You can only choose one because more than likely..one of the religions that you claim to be doesn't agree with the other. Atheism cancels out catholic because atheism means you do not believe in a god. Also, Many Christians and such believe that ANY other religion is considered "satanism".

sixfive
post Sep 11 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #21

Member No: 653,768

You're ignorant.

creole
post Sep 11 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #22

Member No: 676,364

You can be two religions, but depending on their practices, it will be hard keeping both religions from interfering with one another. ( Example: Christianity and Satanism . )

NoSex
post Sep 11 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #23

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE( @ Sep 7 2009, 10:44 PM) *
Mmm, in the matter of Religion vs Atheism, Atheism will cancel religion out.

you can be an atheist & a buddhist, for example.
but, that doesn't really have any serious consequence in this discussion because atheism, like theism, isn't a religion.

creole
post Sep 11 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #24

Member No: 676,364

QUOTE( @ Sep 11 2009, 03:15 PM) *
Would you kindly give me your point of view of how a person may belong to two religions simultaneously? flowers.gif

From the way I see it, I don't really care what they believe in. Every religion has some type of omnipotence being that people look up to. My look on life is this, if you were born, then you obviously have a reason why to life. We all can't live forever, so we die. No one really knows if you're going to Heaven, Hell, Mars, or what the heck, maybe even Tung's ass.

From my understanding, I have friends who have parents that practice two different religions. Sounds ignorant right? No. Love to them means a lot, so that's there thing. If you want religion to be a major part of your life then go for it, no one is going to stop you. What pisses me off is that some religions say all this cruel stuff about other religions.

austinseals
post Oct 10 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #25

Member No: 746,049

I'm sure we'd all love to sin and be forgiven no matter what,
Have a shitload of money and power in every major trade,
Get 72 virgins when we die,
And then be reincarnated as anything we want

All of that at once would be hellatight.

But no, sorry.
Pick one or don't pick anything.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: